TSA Combined Thread (braces, ports, guests with disabilities and airport screening)

Ctsplaysinrain

DIS Veteran
Hi- I have a 15 yr old son with Asperger's. He is pretty big for his age ( 5'10 or so and about 170 lbs. ) He must look a bit older than he is since on our last flight in August leaving Tampa he was asked how old he was where you hand your ID to enter security. They were opk when he said 14.. BUT, there are times that he gets quite confused going through security. Can't quite follow all directions on how to put shoes, bags, etc on security belt. ( He's normally already a bit agitated from the line etc) I have had a few security people get a bit huffy and stresed when I have had tried to reach out and help him get through security ect.. So, I know his behaviour at security may stand out as odd and he may be pulled for "special screening." Well, now I know that the "enhanced" pat down is not going to go over well with him and even if they allowed me to watch- he's not gonna want me to watch either. I can imagine that he may start freaking and yelling inappropriate things if they try and get in his underwear which will just make things worse.... Thoughts- strategies??? Oh and I'm not sure how I feel about the xray machines due to what I have heard about the skin getting the radiation... I have had a melanoma and we live in southern arizona so my kids have a higher risk of melanoma anyway.. Besides, I have heard that at airports that do not have the new xray machines, the only option is the"enhanced" pat down if they feel theneed...

Ironically I actually worked for the TSA (loaned out from my government agency) in 2002 for about 6 months before I was able to successfully transfer out of that nuthouse. In the 6 months I worked in the airport settings, I saw so many bonehead employee moves that I knew failure was coming. If I told you some of the things I know you would have no faith in your government.

Seriously many of the people in management positions in the airports have no law enforcement, military, or security experience. Many of them just needed jobs--my favorite was the waitress hired to be the Assistant Federal Security Director of an airport--so her ex-husband a high ranking official could have his spousal support lowered. Sadly, she wasn't the worst, because at least she had a modicum of sense. People needing jobs is fine for screeners or now TSO's; but not for managers. I once had the FSD of an airport seriously tell me he did not know why I continuously sited the security procedures of other countries (as in Israel, Ireland, England--you know places where there have been bombing and acts of terrorism for 20+ years). Clearly he felt his 15 year career as a car sales man better prepared him for a job managing airport security (or maybe it was his politically connected last name), than an information I was able to share.

Any way I digress....I will not walk through a magnetometer or now through the new machines. My choice not to walk through them is directly related to the information I learned while working for the TSA. Moreover I have had cancer in my 30's (no family history), and literally the doctor could not figure out how I had this type of cancer. It was 20 years before it is normally diagnosed. He literally asked me if I had been swimming in Chernobyl. Also the incidence of cancer in TSA employees is significantly higher than the "general population" it is something I have been tracking unofficially since I received my diagnosis. When flying for years I have requested a pat-down. The TSA has always griped about it; but it has never been a problem. I don't really love the pat down, but I know it is my choice.

I do find the idea of an enhanced pat down amusing, a person with truly evil motives would have no problems putting a weapon inside themselves. Unless the TSA is going to start doing body cavity searches, it is still just smoke an mirrors.

Now I am pregnant with our first baby due in April. I will not allow the child to be taken through any machines either. I am stuck trying to figure out how I am going to take my person and that of the child through the security checkpoint if I fly alone. Also how are they going to securely clear an infant in a diaper? I honestly never paid attention to an infant pat down. The first time I do this I am certain it will be a real adventure.

Since I am sure many of you think I am just a complainer, I actually presented the TSA with a pretty good security option 8 years ago. My suggestion was to disallow all carry on bags. Keep screening people in metal detectors, which are not fail proof; but with the additional knowledge that no one on the plane had any bags it could really boost the confidence of a potential bad guys seat mate trying to cause an act of terrorism with a small weapon. What I am saying is that if there are 120 people on the plane, and a couple of guys had weapons, they may get some of the passengers, but they won't get them all.

At the time it was considered too inconvenient for business travelers, now with travelers having exposure to radiation, naked projections of themselves or being groped, I wonder who would rather not have bags? But like most things in big government, there was no money to be made by disallowing bags, if you wanted to be sickened as a tax payer research all the money that has been made in the private sector in the name of security. The consulting contracts alone total billions, and they were awarded in many cases to companies with no prior security experience.

I started this thread... I do not want it to turn into a debate about the screening.. BUT, I do need to figure out what to do for our next trip in a few weeks.........

I decided to increase the amount of walking I am doing so I can walk some at Disney. Unfortunately I pushed too myself too hard and hurt my feet and now need to wear ankle braces that are fabric and plastic. Will I need to remove thee at the TSA screening?

Have you tried social stories with him? I wonder if it would work to write one of them so he is prepared for what to expect. What do you do to prepare him for a doctor's exam?

I decided to increase the amount of walking I am doing so I can walk some at Disney. Unfortunately I pushed too myself too hard and hurt my feet and now need to wear ankle braces that are fabric and plastic. Will I need to remove these at the TSA screening?

No. Simply tell the TSA folks that they're a medical appliance and you prefer that they screen them as they would if they were a cast or other brace. They can wand your feet/ankles and apply their magic bomb-making material detection swabs to that area and be done with it. I never remove my shoes, my brace, or any other medical appliance I am wearing...not even the packs or the harness on my service dog. They are perfectly capable of checking everything without your having to undergo the discomfort of removing medical appliances that enable you to walk. If they make a big deal out of it, request that they bring a wheelchair for you to use while they check the soles of your shoes.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2.

No. Simply tell the TSA folks that they're a medical appliance and you prefer that they screen them as they would if they were a cast or other brace. They can wand your feet/ankles and apply their magic bomb-making material detection swabs to that area and be done with it. I never remove my shoes, my brace, or any other medical appliance I am wearing...not even the packs or the harness on my service dog. They are perfectly capable of checking everything without your having to undergo the discomfort of removing medical appliances that enable you to walk. If they make a big deal out of it, request that they bring a wheelchair for you to use while they check the soles of your shoes.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2.

While it is true they cannot require you to remove your braces, what I hearing (because TSA will not release info) is that if you are selected for the "body scanner" and are still wearing braces, you will likely have to do the "enhanced pat down.' The new screeners pick up plastic and bulky items (such as sanitary napkins), so you may be selected for a pat-down if you still have your braces on.

You may also be selected for a regular metal detector, and just have what the PP suggested...

I had another thought. Give him the information and let him choose what he is more comfortable with. I don't like the idea of the images the scanners produce or the radiation (which I know is minimal but still prefer to avoid) but I am tactically defenseive and the thought of an enhanced pat down is worse. However I would also make sure he understands that it might not be up to him. From what I read, it is sometimes a choice and sometimes not.

Thanks. :) I think I will take them off if I have to do the body scanner. The enhanced pat down bothers me more then the scanner. Hopefully I won't have to do either.

Have you contacted TSA at your local airport? It is possible a Drs note stating that he needs careful and sensitive handling because of his medical condition could go a long way towards making it easier for him.

Also, I have seen somewhere in all this chatter that there is a code on the ticket that pre-selects people for screening, and that if it is on a child's ticket, you can ask that it be removed. Once again, this is probably something to talk to the local airport about.

Good luck! I hope everything goes smooth for you and your son.

You need to go over the entire experience with him in detail. Start with the long line. Explain about taking off his shoes, emptying his pockets, taking off his jacket/sweater/hoodie and placing all of these thing as well as his carryon in the bins to go through the machine to be xrayed. Explain how while his things are being scanned there are 2 possible types of scans he may experience and then explain them both and that he will be expected to stand where the TSA officer in uniform tells him to stand in the position they instruct and stay perfectly still until the TSA officer says he can move. Explain that there's a possibility that after the scan he will have to step aside with the TSA officer so that he can be frisked like you see on TV. Make sure he understands all of the possibilities. If he knows exactly what to expect then he's less likely to be scared.

One more thing is imperitive. No matter how you feel about the scans and pat downs yourself, stay calm and positive so your son will feel that way. He will take his cue from you including your body language (I know autistic kids have trouble with body language but they know their parents well enough to pick up on our mood).

For my Aspie, knowing what to expect really is HUGE as is ME remaining calm.

As a mom with 2 disabled kis, one with Down syndrome who uses a travle chair in the airport and one with Autism, I can tell you we are not flying in the near future. Before this whole scanner thing, my sosn with Down syndrome was taken past the metal detector by a TSA agent and they would wipe down his chair with something that detects explosives and they would give him a modified pat down. the rest of us would go through the metal detector with no problems, except my son with Autism is usually very anxious when he has to put his hearing protectors in the bin to get scanned.

Nobody in my family can go through the new scanners for various reasons (pace maker, metal in the body, radiation exposure, etc.). I think your best bet will be to call the airport and perhaps have them give your son a tour of the new system. I know they do that at my local airport.

but I would practice a pat down. Maybe, his father could do it or someone else and explain this is airport procedure, now.

Maybe, you can go to the airport for a test run. Let him see how others have to do it.

A doctor's note may help in some way. By calling your local airport you could see if there are other options.

If this gets to be a real situation you may have to start taking car trips instead.

Also, check with your airport before you go to make sure what the options are. It will not go well if you tell him he has the option to go thru the new scanner or have the patdown, but they don't have the new scanner. I know other people have gone ahead of time for a tour as a previous poster mentioned.

Also, he needs to be aware that he may not have an option; if the TSA agent says he will do x, there may be no other choice than x.
I know that they do not like anyone touching another passenger even if it is your child - once you have gone thru, you are considered 'clean' and the person who has not been thru screening is not. So you touching him really freaks the screeners out because they think you are trying to pass things between you.

The last time I checked the TSA website last week, they did not have any information or video of the new machines, but did have some helpful videos about screening in general. There are links to that part of the TSA website in the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Besides social stories that tell him what to expect, it might be helpful to rehearse some appropriate responses or ways to say "I am confused" or "I don't understand what to do."

I agree it is not fruitful to discuss whether or not people like the screening or thinks it is effective.
Whether fliers like it or agree with effectiveness, the OP is still going to have to deal with it.

my daughter wears hinged AFOs and she has never set off the metal detector.

She has never removed them. Only once have I mentioned them to screening staff as the task of managing four kids and a husband usually distracts me. They just said ok, she walked through, nothing happened, we moved on.

Yet my niece had metal buttons on her shorts set off the detectors:confused3

my daughter wears hinged AFOs and she has never set off the metal detector.

She has never removed them. Only once have I mentioned them to screening staff as the task of managing four kids and a husband usually distracts me. They just said ok, she walked through, nothing happened, we moved on.

Yet my niece had metal buttons on her shorts set off the detectors:confused3

The new screening procedures are different. The new full-body scans WILL pick up plastic. So the braces WILL be inspected. It is possible, given the sparse information TSA has released, that anyone who fails the full-body scan will be given the full enhanced pat-down, and not just an examination of that area.

i am not sure how it will work, since TSA refuses to release any new info for people with disabilities, since "the enemy" might learn from it.

Since they are requiring even minors (age 12-17) to submit to the 'enhanced' patdown, I would see no exceptions for the disabled either. But at least it is 'equal' treatment!

I am looking forward to hearing more from people about traveling with a disability.

I have even heard some people say that in some airports, they are not allowed to even opt for the scanner if they use a wheelchair. I know that before this new procedure, in hartford I was not allowed to go through Security with my wheelchair - they made me do the patdown.

I think the greatest problem we face is a lack of information. Hopefully we will start hearing more soon!

I have reading the new TSA changes and other threads regarding the TSA. I have a port in my abdomen, are they going to give me an isssue because of it? I can definitly get documentation from my doctor and I have a medical ID bracelet but am worried about this.

Any advice or thought would be appreciated.

Thanks

Check out MSNBC.com for the story of what a friend of mine with a urostomy endured at the hands of the TSA. He was not allowed to explain what his needs were and suffered extreme humiliation. His return flight was OK So I think it might depend on the TSA agents involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter