*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Well stopped at a RV show today, just looking around. Saw one we really liked, The Heartland Bighorn 3750. It is a new floor plan for this year. Front living room, and then kitchen, bath and rear bedroom. 2nd door accesses the bathroom. Wish it was more in our price range, but for now something to dream about. :tink:
We looked at one of those down here, NICE! They wanted $77,000 and change.

Man, you guys driving the Dodges...any of you have this on your truck? From his description you guys must have one impressive ride.

Last edited:
Found the original video for that Chrystler item.

I mean...this is intense

When I win the Powerball, I am going to buy one of those! Will it work on a Ford F-250?

Well,

I'm blaming all of you on here, but I'm bringing home a new 5er on Wednesday. Made the 1 1/2 hour drive up to Decatur Illinois on Saturday and found what I wanted. Threw a silly offer at them expecting it to be turned down and they said, "When do you want to pick it up?"

So in 2 days I'll be the proud owner of a Coachmen Chaparral 390QSMB. It's the mid bunk layout I've been looking at since last years RV show. This one checked every box except large fresh water tank. It had the best layout, kitchen design and storage of any of the other dozen trailers I'd been considering.

Here's the layout. It ain't small. 42 ft and 12,000 lbs dry.

2015_Coachmen_ChaparralMidProfile_390QSMB.jpg

If you're really interested, here's a YouTube video of what it looks like. This isn't ours, but it's pretty close.

j

Last edited:

Well,

I'm blaming all of you on here, but I'm bringing home a new 5er on Wednesday.

Hey, whoa! Don't lump me in with those other folks - I'm the pop-up guy, remember? Small, light, inexpensive, versatile, camping....

Let's see:

- Four slideouts
- 42 feet long
- 12,000 pounds

Sounds like you need to also buy a DVC membership on a Premium site. You'll love that beast so much you'll start planning 6-week trips to the Fort (this time of year right after New Years till Valentine's Day). And it will get longer from there...

Congrats on the purchase. I expect it to be blocking the sun WAY OVER on my site at Gulf State Park from your spot the next street over later this summer. Glad you are happy with it.

Bama Ed

Hey, whoa! Don't lump me in with those other folks - I'm the pop-up guy, remember? Small, light, inexpensive, versatile, camping....

Let's see:

- Four slideouts
- 42 feet long
- 12,000 pounds

Sounds like you need to also buy a DVC membership on a Premium site. You'll love that beast so much you'll start planning 6-week trips to the Fort (this time of year right after New Years till Valentine's Day). And it will get longer from there...

Congrats on the purchase. I expect it to be blocking the sun WAY OVER on my site at Gulf State Park from your spot the next street over later this summer. Glad you are happy with it.

Bama Ed

Well deserving of a LOL!

Congrats! That's a fine looking rig. Impressive amount of cargo storage. Don't believe I've seen a mid bunk with that counter configuration. Like! Is that a 12cuft fridge, 2 - 8 cuft fridges or an 18 cuft?

Hey, whoa! Don't lump me in with those other folks
I consider you the ring leader. Well, you with the new A-liner, Randy with that monster Sandpiper and Chris with the trailer storage lot. :D

You'll love that beast so much you'll start planning 6-week trips to the Fort (this time of year right after New Years till Valentine's Day). And it will get longer from there...
Already making plans for 2017 when DS graduates HS. I was considering a DCL cruise, but now I'm thinking of a nice Fall trip when school doesn't matter anymore.

I expect it to be blocking the sun WAY OVER on my site at Gulf State Park from your spot the next street over later this summer.
This GSP trip was the biggest motivator. I was a little worried taking my 13 year old trailer with mismatched 4-5 year old tires that far. Somehow I rationalized a new trailer was better than replacing 4 tires. And don't worry about the sun. This is a mid-profile to cut down on wind resistance and shadow casting.

Don't believe I've seen a mid bunk with that counter configuration. Like! Is that a 12cuft fridge,
The kitchen layout was what finally sold us. 2 pantries, much more cabinet space and a nice solid surface counter compared to everything else we looked at. The fridge in the video is a residential electric/inverter 18 cuft. I opted for the smaller gas/electric 12 cuft. I have an 8cuft in my old 5er and we could get a weeks worth of stuff in it. A 12 cuft should be fine. And the big residential cut into pantry space.

j

Well,

I'm blaming all of you on here, but I'm bringing home a new 5er on Wednesday. Made the 1 1/2 hour drive up to Decatur Illinois on Saturday and found what I wanted. Threw a silly offer at them expecting it to be turned down and they said, "When do you want to pick it up?"

So in 2 days I'll be the proud owner of a Coachmen Chaparrel 390QSMB. It's the mid bunk layout I've been looking at since last years RV show. This one checked every box except large fresh water tank. It had the best layout, kitchen design and storage of any of the other dozen trailers I'd been considering.

Here's the layout. It ain't small. 42 ft and 12,000 lbs dry.

2015_Coachmen_ChaparralMidProfile_390QSMB.jpg

If you're really interested, here's a YouTube video of what it looks like. This isn't ours, but it's pretty close.

j

We looked at one this weekend at the RV show and the wife liked it. She figures we could use the bunks as the nephews get older. Best of luck with it and Congratulations.

Sounds like you need to also buy a DVC membership on a Premium site.
Ed,

One of the things I really considered was no longer being able to fit on a Preferred site. I really do love the 100 loop and being so close to the marina and the Settlement. Now I can hope for a 400 or 700 loop assignment.

j

Congrats on the new rig!! That is is one good looking camper. For some reason my silly offers never end up like that. :confused3

That looks like something I'd like to have. I like the space of a Fifth wheel, but I don't want to have to convert a dinette or couch into sleeping space. With me, DW and 2 kids (well sort of, DD10, DD18, and DD18's BF21), I really wanted a bunk house. Since we now have the DD18's BF21 usually in tow, I am okay converting a couch for him though (not ready to let DD18 and BF21 sleep together yet). This model has convenient sleep space for Us and kids PLUS plenty of living space to boot. The kitchen looks awesome too. I can drool a little over it since I am the one that does the cooking.

I would have thought the fresh water tank would have been a bit bigger too.

I also agree that Ed can be the ring leader of these types of things. Sure, he is small pop-up light and efficient, but, elegant at the same time and always a positive word, but that's what we love about him, right? We use him to rationalize our own desires. That's okay though, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Enjoy the new 5er, and Ed, keep up the great work.

I also agree that Ed can be the ring leader of these types of things. Sure, he is small pop-up light and efficient, but, elegant at the same time and always a positive word, but that's what we love about him, right? We use him to rationalize our own desires. That's okay though, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Enjoy the new 5er, and Ed, keep up the great work.

I like the way teamubr put the onus on me when he rationalized the cost of a new trailer versus the cost of four new tires. :cool1:

Keep it up - that's what I'm here for. El Oh El.

Now if any of you other guys want a new trailer, PM me in advance and we'll work this out. :laughing:

Bama Ed

PS - I am also good for justifying new tow vehicles (for other folks, though, not me). Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new trailer! Since you already had a bit toy hauler a 42' bunkhouse wont be much of a change, and by loosing an axle you get better turning. Mine is at 40' yet I did not need a premium site, but I could not just take any old site in the 300 loop.

Pictures of the new tow vehicle will happen once I have some daylight. All her parts and pieces are installed even if there is some behind the scenes wiring to do.

I'll have to go to bat for Ed on this one. He actually has tried to help me convince my wife to downsize when it is just the two of us camping one day. My current oversized trailer situation may be getting worse and I may be following in Teamubr's footsteps.

My current Jayco 32BHDS was bought new in 2012 and was everything we were looking for at the time. Lots of space for storage, kids had their own slide and bunkhouse in the back, outdoor kitchen. However, it has been a problem with moisture and leaks. The outdoor kitchen door was a constant leak everytime it rained. It was letting water get inside the camper through the door latches. Under warranty, the door was replaced and the kitchen counter replaced twice due to warpage from moisture. New door continued to leak. After the warranty went out I finally had to fix the thing myself by sealing off the latch points with sheet metal and caulk, after I replaced the outdoor kitchen counter top again (yes three times), this one I did myself. Even then, it still mildewed. Come to find out that was from condensation due to the camper being cold at night and the warming sun during the day caused condensation. I have to maintain a constant running dehumidifier in the outdoor kitchen to control this.

Three weeks ago the Wineguard antenna began leaking and had to be recaulked. During the process I noticed that the dome over the shower had warped, causing the base to pull loose from the roof, another leak. Had to replace it as well. This week I discovered mildew in my front storage compartment, a complete search revealed a leak in the front of the camper, which has apparently been ongoing for quite some time as the wood in the front compartment is soft. I have recaulked it this week, but my temper has grown short.

My wife has seized the opportunity and brought up the fact that she would like a bigger shower as the small one we currently have now is too tight for bathing the kids and for us (She only uses the bath houses at Disney, nowhere else). Add on top of that SouthAlabama5er (Roll Tide), and his wife allowed her to tour their rig and now she is pushing for a 5er. With all the leaks I have been dealing with, I am becoming more convinced. We have looked online and a Jayco 325BHQS has caught our attention. The local dealer just sold the one he had on the lot and won't have another one for about a month or so, but when he does he is going to call us so we can take a walkthrough and see what we think.

Time will tell, we may also be bringing a new rig to GSP this summer. Nothing for sure yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter