*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Trailgrapplers are M/T tires, 40k is about max. Terra are basically A/T tires, 50k average on them. I still have good tread but I suspect after the winter and another 2k mile tow they will be nothing but slicks by then.

The Wife gave me some nice LED headlight bulbs for my truck for Christmas, big improvement of the stock lights, it will be nice making that dark drive down I10 to the Fort in February better.

20151216_193926_zpskthev2bi.jpg

The Wife gave me some nice LED headlight bulbs for my truck for Christmas,
Very nice. Do you mind sharing the details? I know some on the forums have retrofitted HID lamps, but they are pricey and a pain to install. (Remove the whole front grill and fascia). The headlights are one of the only things I don't like on the truck. On low, I can see about 30 ft. High beams go to about 33. :teeth:

And what is that abomination in the garage? :-) With a proper truck like that, the car should have a horse or a snake on the grill.

j

I had HID's in my F250, but a Alabama State Trooper didn't like them as much I as did. They were a 8,000k (blueish tint). I'll have to ask my wife where she bought the LED's from, I know their a 6,000k pure white tint. They took about 10 minutes to install, I pulled the 4 screws holding each headlight off, simple plug and play. I know she paid $190 just for the two headlight bulbs they have both high and low beam.
A friend of mine has some Rigid Industries LED fog light on his F250, they replaced the factory ones. They are super bright, that's my next investment.

Has far as "her" car in the garage, she had a Ford Explorer but wanted something "sporty". She said the Mustang looks like a catfish to her so I didn't push anything I let her pick what she wanted, it only fair I got the truck I wanted, so. Haha if I had to pick her a car it would of been a F250 or Excursion haha neither of which would fit in our garage!

Edit: she ordered the LED'S through www.ledheadlightspro.com

Last edited:
Thanks Randy,

That's odd about the HIDs on the F250. The HIDs on my wife's Nissan are bright white. The Xenons on my BMW and my old Mini are "holy surface of the sun" white/white and the brightest things I've ever seen. They were very focused though and they never seemed to bother anyone.

I'll take a look at the site. $190 isn't too bad if they are that much better than the OEMs.

j

I have H13 HID bulbs, but the ballast only seem to last about a year. I been curious on the LED headlight bulbs, all the reviews I read was they did not put out as much light as halogens, but I was considering them for the fog lights. I too am curious what brand you got for the headlights as I would be willing to look into them if they put out enough light. Otherwise, I am on the verge of going back to the Silverstart ultras as I am done dealing with the HID kit and ballast issues.

The Wife gave me some nice LED headlight bulbs for my truck for Christmas, big improvement of the stock lights, it will be nice making that dark drive down I10 to the Fort in February better.

Dang!

Here I was reading along and then all of a sudden I'm blinded...

Luckily I was able to scroll down with the mouse and able to eventually recover my vision.

I too am curious what brand you got for the headlights as I would be willing to look into them if they put out enough light.

jbrostek, my wife ordered them online at www.ledheadlightspro.com I checked out the website and I seen where they have a lifetime warranty, I'm going to ordered the fog lights replacements after Christmas.

Tiggerdad, you'll see me coming down the road now and I can see where I'm going now!

Pa, you should be able to tow your rig and everybody elses...at the same time.

I call shotgun!

Pa, you should be able to tow your rig and everybody elses...at the same time.

I call shotgun!

I wish it was mine. Is a coworkers, he brings it to work when he doesn't bring the Hearst. I just find it awesome.

I think with those tires I'd be screaming WHAT!!! a lot.

But put that puppy in 4WD Low and it will go anyhere.

j

I think with those tires I'd be screaming WHAT!!! a lot.

But put that puppy in 4WD Low and it will go anyhere.

j

Screaming all the time in it. Tire noise and you can hear it coming from 3 miles away. He said the tires were like a grand a piece. It has 2-55 gallon diesel tanks and jerry can mounted on the drivers side just in case.

Yep! With the added benefit of letting my wife drive to the store without fear major body damage. :) Unfortunately, these 4 tires cost more than having 6 replaced on my old dually.

Side note: Going with the 285/65R20 BFG's gave me 3860lbs per tire which is an upgrade over the stock 18's (3500lbs per tire) normally found on SRW 3500s. I swapped those stockers out at dealer with High Country 20's from a 2500HD and pansy tires rated around 3100lbs a piece.

I did the same thing. I found a set of pull off Lariat 18 inch rims. A friend of mine was trying to get me to buy a set of aftermarket rims for my F250 but I wanted something larger than the 17s on the truck that could handle a larger tire. I felt the 17s only had about 3100ish load rating where the 18s bumped it up to 3600ish rating. At this point I was going to be over the rating of the rear axle if maxed out. The tires I went with was 275/70/18 Cooper AT3s. Once they are worn out, I am looking at getting a set of Toyo Open Country 285/75s which will give a 35 inch look. Decisions, Decisions. (Hey Al pay off the truck and the other bills first... Stupid conscience.) The truck looks better with 33s over 31.5s but 35s would look even nicer. I can dream right? LOL

Pretty! I have a set of HIDs in my truck. Both Head lights and fogs. They are 5K output which gives a nice clean white light. Never have an issue with the lights except in winter. For what ever reason, they don't take too kindly to the cold. I am thinking about going with LEDs in the spring. Do you have any RF interference? Mine ballasts do. It is hit or miss with many kits. I love mine in the truck. At night, the stock halogen bulbs felt like I was using a candle to see through the night. When it snows, the light just reflects off everything and it almost feels like a full moon type of night.

I have H13 HID bulbs, but the ballast only seem to last about a year. I been curious on the LED headlight bulbs, all the reviews I read was they did not put out as much light as halogens, but I was considering them for the fog lights. I too am curious what brand you got for the headlights as I would be willing to look into them if they put out enough light. Otherwise, I am on the verge of going back to the Silverstart ultras as I am done dealing with the HID kit and ballast issues.

I have had my kit in for about 18 months now. Outside of some really cold ballast issues (when it is 0°F as a daytime high) They took a few additional seconds to fire up. LEDs are really nice to look at as an upgrade. Light output is going to be a factor depending on the housings and wattage. Many people have mixed results with using the factory housing. There is a thought out there that says you should be swapping out the entire housing to make the light work more properly. A majority of the housing are designed for halogen bulbs. Another reason claim it is simply illegal to swap out your factory bulbs for whatever reason. Personally, the way to go is with a properly adjusted factory housing providing with 5000 K bulbs. The light is really close to a 4300 K spec for output. Going past 6000K you just start loosing light output and you see a more blueish hue in color. Low light output in the reviews could be a couple of things. Bad set ups. Wrong wattage of the bulbs. So forth and so on. If you are running a 8 or 10 K bulb you are not going to make enough light output but it will pretty in color. LOL

My kits are 5k kits. I already had to replace a 9 month old fog ballast as it no longer can start the bulb. One of my main ballasts are showing issues warm or cold so I expect it to go out soon too. I may look into different headlights, but really all I want is some good lighting on the truck

This picture is just of the two aftermarket LED lights I mounted in the middle of my bumper, they made a big difference.
20151213_183506_zps2iusfxly.jpg

When I get back home in Mid January I'll post some better pictures. I plan on ordering the LED fog light bulbs after Christmas. I can't help it, they all gotta match! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't like stock headlights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter