• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I received the first call from a CM regarding the email I sent about my upcoming stay at Aof, he said they'd been told about this during a meeting on Thursday and the news came out on Friday. He said that this was as big a surprise to them as it was to us. I do feel for the front line staff trying to deal with all these questions and concerns because they are obviously not given enough information to answer the questions adequately. Given that the first call I received early afternoon on Monday was polite but unsympathetic, and the second call I received Monday evening was "what can we do to make you happy", I wonder if something may have shifted in Disney's response to this at some point on Monday. I think they had no idea anybody would possibly find anything to be concerned about and were not at all prepared for this.

Almost funny because it's so typical Disney on so many levels. One hand has no idea what the other hand is doing and often throws them under the bus. Even within one department they are so clueless about responses and expectations from customers. For a company "known" for their customer service and makes bank on training other companies, how often are we seeing a complete drop of the ball. I don't know how many times I say, if they only had a dozen folks sit around a table and talk out loud about this they would have seen this coming.

AND this is one of those. I think a small gathering of folks with some smarts could have seen the response coming, the belief this is contrary to the great service they have provided for the special populations and at the very least ... hey let's model this after some other hotels who are successful. They messed up their launch, and they are scrambling. Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Just listened to the podcast. I didn't think they came out as rah-rah "I'm all for this policy" without bringing up any of the potential issues, they just didn't really dive deep into any of the potential negative situations. I think the big assumptions they made were:

1. Disney had set aside specific rooms for dogs, and only dogs will be able to stay in those rooms. I don't think Disney has given anyone definitive information that that is the case.
2. Only responsible dog owners that have well-behaved dogs will bring their dogs.
3. Owners would not think of leaving their dogs behind by themselves in the room for extra long periods of time so they can visit the parks.

If their assumption for #1 is true, then some of the fears and concerns would be relieved (not all, but some).
#2 and #3 are probably not true, as there are exceptions to every rule.

I thought their point on anyone "slapping a service animal vest on any dog" was amusing, although in situations where this happens, it does takes away from the validity and impact of true service animals. And what about Julie wanting to bring her cat! LOL...

I completely understand those that have some worries or questions about this, that's not who I'm referring to. But, you can't deny there are plenty of people in full blown meltdown mode. All I'm saying is wait and see how this goes first.

I can deny that there are "plenty" of people in "full-blown meltdown mode" ;)

...The fact you see it as plenty of people in that extreme state shows me you are misjudging at least some of them, because (quoting myself here to rest my weary fingers :D)...

I've said this many times now, but I'll say it again: people who you might think are being unnecessarily negative and who you think should wait and see what happens, may well have direct personal experiences informing their concerns in ways you don't or can't understand. These experiences validate their comments in ways you just don't know.

When you've seen and experienced it yourself in so many places outside of Disney, you have a good idea what the problems can be. So, yes people can, then, speculate sensibly (even when someone who doesn't really get it describes it as hysteria) based on past experiences - and based on other factors, e.g., relating to how Disney deals with other guest issues, not least dogs at FW campground, mousekeeping struggles and consistency in enforcing rules (or not!).

If you think this is all hysteria, then you haven't stood where some of us stand and really don't understand the key issues. ...You're lucky.

I think the podcast showed, like many posts on here, that if you haven't had to deal with dog allergies, phobias and/or inconsiderate dog-owners (the last of which would affect people dealing with the allergies and phobia much more) - then a lot of what we've talked about in this thread won't even occur to you, let alone be easy to understand. ...And this is true for all of us in different ways. We can't be aware of everything and understand all experiences fully.

So, it's more down to how open or closed our minds are when we're confronted with these things.

Last edited:

And just like the poster you quoted may not know what will happen, neither do all the negative posters. So again, maybe people should give the trial an honest run and then see what happens. Obviously isn't going to happen but it would be nice.

I also like the gif. :)[/QUOTE]

I would question whether this a trial or not. It is on their website as a selling point, they have maps, created new rules and policies, prices, installed equipment and removed their current health and safety policy. Seems like they spent a lot time and money on implementing this. After they announced the new service they have ignored 100s of people's complaints without changing course.

FTR, I don't agree with some of the opinions here. Disney taking in pets during Irma actually put a smile on my face. And I've often thought on many occasions how nice it would be to have our anxiety dog with us at the cabins.

But now that this policy is REAL, which I never thought I'd see in a million years, it does have the potential to open up a can of worms, especially if Disney doesn't adhere to it properly.

Personal liability is another thing. Pets cannot be added to trip insurance, so owners will need to be careful. Just a few weeks ago we watched guests petting dogs at Epcot and FW. To ME, that is not smart. At all.

See. The people that were petting the dog in epcot.... from past experiences, people with real working dogs do not want you to pet the animal as it distracts them from their duty. Just like police dogs. In fact they usually wear signs on their vest that says please do not pet me. That would lead me to believe that animal was not a real working dog. I could be wrong and things could have changed though.

This is a wonderful idea and long over due. Universal has always had pet friendly hotels. My family and I'm sure many pet owners not on this board feel the same way. There is a demand for this. Disney World has many Resorts and rooms so it will be easy for the ones who don't like this idea to find a room at their favorite resort that they will love and free from pet dander. I booked a room yesterday at The Art of Animation and canceled my reservation at Lowes Portofino. Our little Minnie Mouse is 3 pounds of sweetness and love and she is also special needs so we are gratefully she can finally stay with us on property.
I'm happy for you and I hope you will let us all know how it went when you return. Have a happy and safe trip.

This is a wonderful idea and long over due. Universal has always had pet friendly hotels. My family and I'm sure many pet owners not on this board feel the same way. There is a demand for this. Disney World has many Resorts and rooms so it will be easy for the ones who don't like this idea to find a room at their favorite resort that they will love and free from pet dander. I booked a room yesterday at The Art of Animation and canceled my reservation at Lowes Portofino. Our little Minnie Mouse is 3 pounds of sweetness and love and she is also special needs so we are gratefully she can finally stay with us on property.

Possibly still able to find a room, but may cost them more money which frankly stinks. I just spoke with a CM today who said that if we wanted a guaranteed dog free room at POR we'd have to book preferred, a royal room, or a river view. If we don't want to be housed in a building with dogs I was told preferred is the only option. Looking at the maps of the dog relieving areas though it would seem that would also be wrong.

You misunderstand me. If a human baby is crying for an extended period of time I go check. Not for a dog. No. Just no. Why would you think that I would?!?

Dogs are left alone all the time. If it goes on for too long I’ll probably have to hoof it to the front desk - cause we all know that phoning does little. Now the dog’s owner has made his problem, MY problem.

Your argument makes no sense. I have a moral & legal obligation to check on a baby if I think it’s in distress. People leave dogs alone all the time. I’m not obligated to check on your dog! It is not a human being!
I think we are misunderstanding each other. I was responding to someone else that suggested that they share the number for animal control on here so that they can call them when they hear a dog barking. I made an equally silly (joke) about calling the police whenever we hear a baby cry.

Just to give a update Disney really reads their emails! I received a phone call today telling me that what i said matters and was read by geroge and passed on to him. They offered to make sure at AOA that i am in a demo suit since mermaid and cars will have the dogs and he moved us from POR to Boardwalk at no extra charge . It feels wonderful to know they disney is hearing us and responding!

Is this for real? I had to check if it was 1 April?

I am horrified. How is the Yacht Club of all places a dog-friendly environment?

First off, I am a dog lover and dog owner. The vast majority of people come to WDW to enjoy the theme parks; not to spend significant time in their rooms. Which means dogs will be left enclosed in small guest rooms for hours upon end. I can't even begin to imagine the stress dogs will face when they hear all the noises associated with a busy resort (housekeeping, vacuums, kids running down the hallways, heck even the Illuminations fireworks which will cause distress for a significant number of pets).

I love how Disney say if your dog makes noise you'll be summoned back in 30 mins. Is that for real? If you're in the middle of Magic Kingdom and in line for attraction you won't be back at the resort within 1 hour, let alone 30 minutes. Are other guests supposed to just put up with the barking for all that time? Also, what if guests don't pick up their cell phones? We all know this will be poorly enforced.

Also, why on earth are Disney not INSISTING on seeing the vaccination records? How dare they say they "might" need to see it? This should be verified on check-in; no exceptions. I don't want my kids to be anywhere near un-vaccinated dogs. Can you even imagine them roaming around the lobby? So many people don't even flea-protect their dogs; I expect carpets and soft furnishings will be soiled and we all know how bad housekeeping can be.

I think this is the worst decision Disney has ever made. Yacht Club is my favorite resort and we will NEVER stay there again. I am waiting for a call back to discuss options for our upcoming trip. I'm so disappointed in Disney; I literally can't believe they've done this.

This whole thing saddens me. I have a different reason for not liking this in addition to all the excellent well thought out posters.
You see I have planned a surprise trip to our favorite resort POR for our 50th wedding anniversary in Feb. POR is special to us and we have many happy memories there. We have had. Trips with kids and grandkids. We have always loved the ambience of Por, the quiet and tranquillity of this special place. Now we are going to have to upgrade if we don't want a dog room for more money or change to another resort. Not so easy to do at this point in life. We love POR, no matter what the reason.
Shouldn't we be able to have our vacation where we want, without having the inconveniences which have been mentioned over and over again on here. Simple as that. We should all be able to do this for whatever reason. Now with these changes, I am saddened that our favorite resort has been targeted for this experiment. The very tranquil qualities of this resort have been important to us, not mention the beautiful pathways.
I will definitely be emailing wdw with a list of concerns.
I have stayed at the royal Pacifica resort at universal and never saw a dog. They have dedicated rooms and strict rules which they enforce. Not so,Disney. Their track record is not encouraging. Just look at the decline in housekeeping.
Oh, yes, how sad it makes me too! Our beloved, tranquil, and beautiful Port Orleans Riverside!....Sigh! I just now got a phone call from Disney Customer Relations to respond to my email. I expressed many of the thoughts you have expressed here. She said they are getting many calls and are letting management teams know how we feel. When you send your email, you may want to cc Disney upper management. It seems that a better response comes your way when you add them to your email.

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

I would question whether this a trial or not. It is on their website as a selling point, they have maps, created new rules and policies, prices, installed equipment and removed their current health and safety policy. Seems like they spent a lot time and money on implementing this. After they announced the new service they have ignored 100s of people's complaints without changing course.
I can understand that thought of 'maybe this will just be permanent' but as of right now they initiated a year long trial. I would be disappointed at the least if they didn't have materials ready for people to get, and if they didn't put that information available for those to see, if they didn't at least come up with some sort of policy (weak or strong) and made new rules for something as long of a time period that they have determined to make public.

Just to give a update Disney really reads their emails! I received a phone call today telling me that what i said matters and was read by geroge and passed on to him. They offered to make sure at AOA that i am in a demo suit since mermaid and cars will have the dogs and he moved us from POR to Boardwalk at no extra charge . It feels wonderful to know they disney is hearing us and responding!
So very happy for you! Wonderful!

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I was responding to someone else that suggested that they share the number for animal control on here so that they can call them when they hear a dog barking. I made an equally silly (joke) about calling the police whenever we hear a baby cry.
Gotcha. Yes sarcasm & humour don’t come thru very well in print. Sorry about that. No. I’d try to get the front desk on it first, but I’d call animal control if it went on for say an hr. Cause we all know how Disney responds to requests. Never know, the dog could actually be in distress & it could be warranted.

And just like the poster you quoted may not know what will happen, neither do all the negative posters. So again, maybe people should give the trial an honest run and then see what happens. Obviously isn't going to happen but it would be nice.

I also like the gif. :)

I would question whether this a trial or not. It is on their website as a selling point, they have maps, created new rules and policies, prices, installed equipment and removed their current health and safety policy. Seems like they spent a lot time and money on implementing this. After they announced the new service they have ignored 100s of people's complaints without changing course.[/QUOTE]

Well I think all we can do is treat it as a trial until something is said otherwise.

Something that occurred to me : Are dog-friendly park days/special times the next logical and inevitable step ? Part of me thinks this would never be approved, but if this is a designated time/place type of event, then I can see Disney World green-lighting this. I would be very upset to see this. I am currently in correspondence with Guest Services on the Dog-Resort fracas. I think it might be a good idea to preempt this by voicing my opposition to this now as opposed to waiting and then being given 2 days notice that dogs will now be allowed in certain parks at certain times with certain unenforceable conditions. This feels like fighting a losing rearguard action to preserve something I really cherish.
Magic Kingdom doggie days have happened in the past.

We've stayed at the Four Seasons on Disney property 4 times since it opened with our 2 dogs and we've never run into anyone else with dogs while we've been there. Chances are you won't see any dogs on your upcoming trips.

Also, I asked the CM what the $50 nightly pet fee was for and she told me it was for the deep cleaning they need to do after we've checked out.

I know you're weren't replying to me, but I appreciate your clarification. There have been a number of other comments using using similar exaggeration to dismiss people's concerns, but your comment I understand now.:thumbsup2

I think some people have made comments, like about phoning animal control, because they don't trust Disney to look after them in a situation which Disney dropped them in at the last minute. That I can also understand, since Disney has a bit of a history of being inconsistent in these situations. I'm guessing (I know, just guessing!) most wouldn't actually make the call.

Ok, I thought you were referring to the population as a whole and not just on this thread.

I didn't read every word of some of the more lengthy posts, but I didn't notice anyone in favor of this commenting that they would sit in the room with their pets the majority of the time. Maybe I missed that though.

Our Newfie loves the facility we board her at. She takes off without looking back and DH feels a little betrayed lol (he typically drops her off). She gets to run around outside with other big dogs all day and get filthy and swim. They don't see other Newfies much so she gets tons of attention.
I think it depends on the dog. Neither of my dogs wants to go. Both refuse to get out the car. But the golden retriever eventually has fun. But the dachshund doesn’t eat & doesn’t do well. I dread boarding him. I take short trips now to avoid boarding him too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter