Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have little faith in Disney to be able to enforce even their own rules ...

What are the consequences if they choose not to return right away for a noise complaint? Or if their phone is off (or dead)? How are they going to enforce seven hours? Are they going to monitor the electronic locks? What happens if Spot is left alone for eight hours? Is there a plan in place because it doesn't seem like it.

I totally agree with this sentiment. Other hotels seems to have very strict rules. The first night I hear barking, I'm getting a refund for that night or reversing charges on my card.

View attachment 277346

That was a rather insensitive thing of Buzz to say. In all seriousness - and not to make light of either people's concerns or criticisms of overreaction - I can see both sides of this. I come down on the "against" side for reasons stated in earlier posts - while also not thinking it'll be as catastrophic as many of the predictions. Much of my complaint now is how Disney is rolling this out (which has helped fuel that overreaction). In the long run? We just don't know yet, but time will tell.
I've been around the Dis for awhile and the trend seems to be the "against" either assimilate or leave. I'm not sure I can think of any instance Disney has ever just caved to the masses because of nasty social media posts and emails. They will cave if they notice they are losing money over the deal but I'm gonna doubt this will decrease revenue. Time will tell but my money is going on them making this permanent.

Thanks for posting in regard to that question-- though, I wonder if other guests would be adjusting their park time. Not everyone goes as frequently as you, and for what I think is the majority of people, there is quite a large proportion of time spent in the theme parks vs the resorts.

Hopefully, the people doing commando-style park touring are not going to bring dogs. That just wouldn't make sense.

I think folks should give dog owners a little or maybe a lot more credit than to think people are going to head out to the parks for twelve hours while their dog is in a hotel room. Pretty sure that require some people to actually stop and think though(not directing this at quoted poster).

Well, okay. :rolleyes: At least they won't allow the dogs to relieve themselves IN the pool, like some kid did last week. I still think it is a great idea for those of us who love their pets. However, I was assuming they would have the pet friendly rooms separate from everyone else. People also need to remember that not everyone who has a dog will actually want to pay extra to bring them. People are acting like the dogs are going to take over the whole resort.

Well according to the doggy relief maps, the dogs will be all over the resorts.

I've been around the Dis for awhile and the trend seems to be the "against" either assimilate or leave. I'm not sure I can think of any instance Disney has ever just caved to the masses because of nasty social media posts and emails. They will cave if they notice they are losing money over the deal but I'm gonna doubt this will decrease revenue. Time will tell but my money is going on them making this permanent.

I agree. Permanent and expanding to other resorts. That's why so many of us are against this.

As far as I remember (and I could be wrong) from the comments and whatnot its only Magical Express they would be allowed on. I do believe service animals are allowed on busses transporting to theme parks and Disney Springs but under this actual pet policy I believe the only bus they are allowed on is Magical Express to and from the airport.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/10/walt-...licies-dogs-staying-resort-hotels/img_0335-2/

Towards the bottom. 'Some resort transportation'

How does anyone at Disney expect a noise issue to be handled in 30 mins? Getting back to a resort can take longer than that and how many people will want to leave while waiting for a ride (let us pray that the dog owner is not in line for FOP) or a coveted ADR (because I can see many leaving mid meal at BOG, O'hana, or HDDR). For owners who do return promptly but therefore miss an upcoming FP or ADR is Disney going to help them rebook and waive the fee?

What are the consequences if they choose not to return right away for a noise complaint? Or if their phone is off (or dead)? How are they going to enforce seven hours? Are they going to monitor the electronic locks? What happens if Spot is left alone for eight hours? Is there a plan in place because it doesn't seem like it.

Good summary of some of the issues and uncertainties with this new policy. It seems Disney has hired Gomer Pyle and Scooby Doo as executives to make the decisions on this new dog policy. I think a random Cast Member could do a better job.

Last edited:
I'll admit I have not read all these posts, but I was a little surprised about this. I am glad at least that it is only 4 resorts, and I can now just take those resorts out of the running for our vacations. I will be truly disappointed if this trend takes off, as not only do we have allergies, but I find the stuff they use to deoderize rooms (smoking to non-smoking) makes me sick.

In answer to your question a - I have traveled to WDW with three dogs before. We stayed offsite at a house and of course we adjusted our park time because of this. We go for maybe 4 or 5 hours at a time and sometimes only once a day. We had been to the parks multiple times and didn't need to spend whole days there. But in regards to seven hours unaccompanied - not a huge deal for a dog in regards to needing to use the bathroom. Dogs are left alone longer than that in a lot of kenneling situations and never go in their runs. I understand the barking issue is a different story but dogs that are house trained don't suddenly start going to the bathroom because they are now in a hotel room.

question b - barking can issue for sure but so can an unruly child or sometime's television. I'm not trying to downplay the barking I'm just pointing out that you're in a hotel. There are kinds of sounds and noises going on during a day.
Good point. I actually doubt the kennels that ppl are suggesting are walking dogs more often than about 7 hours. In my area, there is ONE place that has staff 24 hours & that’s where I choose to board. But most places I know close about 6pm & open again about 7am at best! That’s over 12 hours! Plus my dogs have never been left alone overnight by themselves & I definitely wouldn’t leave them in a strange place to be left alone all night. If I didn’t have a 24 facility to use, I would have to seriously consider taking them with me.

I have been to Disney World 6 times in the last 15 years. So I don't go all the time. But I have gone several times. I have never once seen a dog. Not once.

Well, maybe I'm in the minority, but I just canceled my POR reservation because of this and will head off property to a non-Disney resort and will also drive to the parks or DS so I don't have to share transportation with dogs--this just blows my mind when they barely have enough room on the bus/monorail for guests, now we have to share with their dogs???--like I want someones dog panting in my face while I'm riding on the bus/monorail-are they allowed on the boats too?? Bad enough dealing with this at the resorts...the transportation too? Are they crazy!!! This is pathetic. I'm at the point where I am re-evaluating renewing our APs now and I'm not sure we're going to do it...this is just a big issue for us. If there are others out there that are as upset about this as I am (& based on the poll at the top of this thread) they will lose money over this and LONG TIME guests as well.

I agree with you 100% on this (bold). Dollars, revenue, profitability - those are the factors that will determine if this program expands (and I say expand, because I also agree that at least some dog-friendly resorts at Disney are permanent - it's just a matter of whether it's profitable enough to spread elsewhere). The only way I see it failing completely (unlikely) is if the costs are too high (housekeeping, clean-up and maintenance, policy enforcement) and/or too many guests canceling reservations or refusing to book there.

Yes..Magical Express and Minnie Vans-that would be your 'some resort transportation'. Minne Vans aren't busses which is why I didn't mention them (but they were mentioned before in previous comments).

The form also states: "All other Resort transportation and public transportation, including Walt Disny World Monorails and Friendship Boats are available to guests with licensed service animals only"

The form also states: "Dogs are not permitted in Theme Parks and Disney Springs. Only licensed service animals are allowed in Guest areas".

So again in terms of busses (which is what the other poster was concerned about) dogs are permitted in only Magical Express. Service animals will continue to be allowed on Magical Express, Monorail, Friendship Boats, and now Minnie Vans (as they are new). Service animals will also continue to be allowed in the Theme parks and Disney Springs.

My guess is that dog rooms will be on the first floor in the rear corner of the resort away from the lobby, rooms that seldom get booked. The rooms will be all hard flooring adjacent to the dog park/lawn area. Disney gets the positive PR for being dog friendly while filling empty rooms and there might be people who will now vacation at Disney because they do not want to leave their loved ones at home. Disney isn't stupid, they aren't going to let dogs run wild or let them impact other guests. I also don't see them expanding to all resorts or the DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

Well, the Disney Cruise Line caved when complaints about smokers being allowed to smoke on verandas hit the email, etc. They reversed and banned smoking on verandas. There are only a couple of DSA's on board and only on one side of the ship.

ETA: Disney stock has , so far, not gone up since the news broke. Will wait and see how much other shareholders will profit from the so called "money grab"

Well, maybe I'm in the minority, but I just canceled my POR reservation because of this and will head off property to a non-Disney resort and will also drive to the parks or DS so I don't have to share transportation with dogs--this just blows my mind when they barely have enough room on the bus/monorail for guests, now we have to share with their dogs???--like I want someones dog panting in my face while I'm riding on the bus/monorail-are they allowed on the boats too?? Bad enough dealing with this at the resorts...the transportation too? Are they crazy!!! This is pathetic. I'm at the point where I am re-evaluating renewing our APs now and I'm not sure we're going to do it...this is just a big issue for us. If there are others out there that are as upset about this as I am (& based on the poll at the top of this thread) they will lose money over this and LONG TIME guests as well.
And that's what you should do if you feel so strongly. Unfortunately if you think you're teaching them a lesson I'm sure someone else has already snagged your room reservations.

I LOOOOOOOVE dogs. Love 'em. Have my own and he is the cutest and most awesome guy ever. I would never take him to Disney.
I live in Seattle, one of the most dog-friendly cities in the country. I love seeing dogs around, I'm used to it. What's really pushing the envelope here are the so-called internet approved "service animals" that have the little vest but are really just beloved pets.

This is going to be a fustercluck of epic proportions. Sure, there are very responsible and cool pet owners. Then there are all the other people.

I'm sad to say there will be a couple of really unfortunate incidents that will happen before they shut this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter