• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
She advised that most of the feedback has been opposition to the policy and said there was no guarantee that the trial period would last a full year.

Here's hoping it's ended quickly! It does seem as this may prove to have been a situation where hearts were in the right place, but the execution of the idea in a way that satisfied most people just wasn't feasible.

She seemed to be reading from a prepared list of written answers.

This, I fully believe. Make it sound like a fully fleshed out policy but vague enough so they can rewrite things on the fly.

She advised that Cast Members will be available and proactive in preventing dogs from being taken into food courts, public paths, etc.

Don't believe that one, not for a second.

Unfortunately, they were mostly vague and did little to inspire confidence.

Yes, all of the above. *sigh*

I also just got of the phone with Sarah, who must be getting sick of these calls. :groom:

She was very polite, seemed genuinely concerned, but to be honest, did nothing to change my mind or make me feel better about my extremely negative reaction towards this pilot. I wouldn't say her answers sounded scripted, but they were definitely clear with the tone of, "This is happening, it's still a work in progress, we're doing everything we can, and we'll see how this all unfolds."

I did report to her something I'd read here about someone staying at YC-CL who mentioned that a CM said that dogs could be placed in any room at the resort. She said she was very alarmed to hear this, and that information was not to be given out, and that she'd speak to the CL manager at YC about it. Now notice...she didn't say it wasn't true. She just said that the information was not to be given out.

The plot thickens and sadly....I think we look elsewhere to honeymoon. We'd been hoping to stay at YC, our favorite, but this policy and the already-seemingly abuse of it is turning us away.

I did report to her something I'd read here about someone staying at YC-CL who mentioned that a CM said that dogs could be placed in any room at the resort. She said she was very alarmed to hear this, and that information was not to be given out, and that she'd speak to the CL manager at YC about it. Now notice...she didn't say it wasn't true. She just said that the information was not to be given out.

Well the good thing is it isn't true. Just shaking my head she wouldn't come out and say it.

Well, I emailed today about our upcoming stay in December at Yacht Club. We booked this trip last September on a bounce back free dining offer. Our son recently had a heart transplant. His immune system is medically suppressed to prevent rejection. I am very concerned about being put in a room where a dog or dogs have stayed. I worry about the dander and pet hair/fur being caught in the fibers of the furniture, bedding and towels. I have visions of people using the resort towels to clean up after their pets and then those towels being laundered with non pet-friendly linens. Does anyone know how Disney is handling the laundry of pet-friendly and non-pet-friendly rooms? Does anyone know what exactly consists of a deep cleaning? Should I switch resorts?

Well the good thing is it isn't true. Just shaking my head she wouldn't come out and say it.

I’ve always found you to be reliable. Are you saying that the YC CM was 100% wrong? And there’s no chance that if this becomes popular (which I’d be surprised at), Disney wouldn’t put a dog into any available room as long as people were willing to pay?

Well, I emailed today about our upcoming stay in December at Yacht Club. We booked this trip last September on a bounce back free dining offer. Our son recently had a heart transplant. His immune system is medically suppressed to prevent rejection. I am very concerned about being put in a room where a dog or dogs have stayed. I worry about the dander and pet hair/fur being caught in the fibers of the furniture, bedding and towels. I have visions of people using the resort towels to clean up after their pets and then those towels being laundered with non pet-friendly linens. Does anyone know how Disney is handling the laundry of pet-friendly and non-pet-friendly rooms? Does anyone know what exactly consists of a deep cleaning? Should I switch resorts?
First of all, I'm glad that your son's surgery went well. I can't help but think maybe it's best to postpone your trip. WDW is a cesspool of germs. Frankly, I think that residual dog hair would be the least of your worries.

@dansdad it would be so helpful if you could fill us in more. Right now it sounds like they are totally winging it.

I’ve always found you to be reliable. Are you saying that the YC CM was 100% wrong? And there’s no chance that if this becomes popular (which I’d be surprised at), Disney wouldn’t put a dog into any available room as long as people were willing to pay?
Like you, I am hoping we can get some better accurate info. Guest services, DSS, CL CM's, surely they can come up with a one voice policy.

Last edited:
I pray your son is doing well after his surgery. I know you and your son's Doc knows best, but I agree with Robinb in that WDW is a very germy place despite Dogs being allowed. The flu type A has come very early to Fl. I've already had it and landed in the ER after hurricane Irma. Can you postpone your vacation until the dog issue is resolved or if your son is able to go perhaps you can change resorts? No guarantee you can still get free dining. Let us know what you hear from WDW.

The friendly folks on the disability board might be helpful, particularly with info on the types of special room cleaning and how to request.
Your local transplant resource/info folks might also have some suggestions on what might be best and safest plan for your son at this time.

First of all, I'm glad that your son's surgery went well. I can't help but think maybe it's best to postpone your trip. WDW is a cesspool of germs. Frankly, I think that residual dog hair would be the least of your worries.

Thank you so much!
We have talked our trip over with our Transplant Team shortly after our son's transplant and they felt going to Disney would be okay with a few provisions. Our son is 16, so taking necessary precautions (sanitizing EVERYTHING he comes in contact with, avoiding enclosed crowded places and wearing a mask and gloves when in large groups) are a little easier. It's not the residual dog hair that worries me, it's the residual bacteria and germs that come along with the dogs and the procedures to clean those affected areas that concerns me. I worry about the laundering services as the linens will be in the closest proximity to our son.

I pray your son is doing well after his surgery. I know you and your son's Doc knows best, but I agree with Robinb in that WDW is a very germy place despite Dogs being allowed. The flu type A has come very early to Fl. I've already had it and landed in the ER after hurricane Irma. Can you postpone your vacation until the dog issue is resolved or if your son is able to go perhaps you can change resorts? No guarantee you can still get free dining. Let us know what you hear from WDW.

Thank you! Yikes! Flu already? :( This may be a game changer... I will keep you posted!

Thank you so much!
We have talked our trip over with our Transplant Team shortly after our son's transplant and they felt going to Disney would be okay with a few provisions. Our son is 16, so taking necessary precautions (sanitizing EVERYTHING he comes in contact with, avoiding enclosed crowded places and wearing a mask and gloves when in large groups) are a little easier. It's not the residual dog hair that worries me, it's the residual bacteria and germs that come along with the dogs and the procedures to clean those affected areas that concerns me. I worry about the laundering services as the linens will be in the closest proximity to our son.

With flu season coming up and the nature of the beast with so many people around in one area I would concerned with someone going who had a surgery such that your son did.

TBH IMO I'm not sure it's the bacteria and germs from dogs I would be most concerned about. The thousands and thousands of people who carry germs in the peak of flu season who carry a bunch of germs themselves is what I would be most concerned about.

Obviously it's your decision I just wouldn't risk it as to me dogs are pretty low on the totem pole when compared to the other things in regards to someone who's immune system is not fully there.

Either way I hope you have an awesome trip whenever you decide to go (if for instance you need to delay this one) :)

93669A8C-D81A-471E-9B3E-B0AF3BEB20DB.jpeg
This is what was told to me in an email from guest services.
“Designated room”

So glad your son's surgery went well. Prayers to you! My daughter fought stage four cancer for 3 and a half years, and during those years, we spent a ton of time together at Disney...with a WBC of 1(which is an extremely low white blood cell count/ extremely suppressed immune system). I always packed Lysol, hospital strength cleaning wipes, hand sanitizer, masks, and always avoided the crowds as much as possible. Bring sheets and blankets that you wouldn't mind leaving behind. You can put them on the bed, then throw them away when you check out. I think you should go and have fun...just remember there are germs everywhere. Not just from the dogs.

I called reservations about my allergies to pet dander. I have standard rooms booked at the Yacht Club. The castmember told me dogs are only allowed in garden view and waterview rooms, not standard view. I havn't heard that on these boards so I'm alittle skeptical. In any case they said they notated on my reservations to have me in a room away from rooms with pets. We shall see what happens.

I personally have no issue with dogs at Resorts. Keep them in their own building and make those rooms exclusive.
Make people pay.

Where I have issues are people with "emotional" dogs. IMO a load of crxp. I need my DH as emotional support. Can he fly, get in parks for free too?? This abuse is getting out if hand. Airlines have to now let these dogs onboard. With no seat requirement. Avoid paying for pet in crate as cargo, get an online cert. those against dogs in hotels ( exclusive rooms) need to first complain about our too generous ADA laws. A person who is told by a therapist to get a dog as "therapy" for the death of a spouse is IMO not a "medical or disability".

Sorry my vent as an airline employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter