Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

Wow!!! That is fantastic. Where in Europe did you visit?

::yes::

Well.....not to high jack your thread...

Did 10 days London/Paris/DLP/London

It was my 50th birthday present to myself. My family backed out so I went by myself anyway because I've been planning the trip since my 40th birthday.

5 days in London:

Platform 9 3/4
British Library
Buckingham Palace X2 (once just to take photos and again for the Changing of the Guards)
Big Ben/Elizabeth Tower and Parliment House
Westminster Abby
London Eye
Tower of London (Its actually a complex/castle with Bloody Tower/Armoury/Regimental Museum/Crown Jewels)
Windsor Castle
Bath
Stonehenge
British Museum
Thames Afternoon Tea Cruise
Oxford Street (technically only shopped one store Addidas for Manchester United Jerseys my twin nephews)
Hampton Court Palace (toured the castle and the gardens)

2.5 days in Paris:

I did the Eurostar and traveled the Chunnel eek!

Eiffel Tower/Seine River
Louvre
Disneyland Paris

1 last night in London where I did nothing but lounge at the Sofitel Hotel and go to Marks and Spencer's and shop at Duty Free at the airport LOL. I was worn out by then.

image.jpeg

EURO DISNEY! I did 3 castles in 2016 which is why I have three fingers up. I have similar pics at WDW and DLR only with 1 or 2 fingers. I'm a dork but I'm a Disney dork.

image.jpeg

Paris Proper.

image.jpeg

Dreamed of the British Museum since I was 10 It all began with this wish

image.jpeg image.jpeg

My name is Bookgirl what are the chances I wouldn't go to these two places LOL

image.jpeg

This is when it hit me that I really had done it.

If you have Instagram I have some pictures hash tagged under #happy50bdtome

My Instagram and Twitter are Okbookgirl so you can see stuff there too.

Of course you had to walk past my guess lol.

Nothing is wrong with more planes though.

Questions:
1. I say you got a sandwich, pita pocket, chicken roti, roti vinaigrette, fresh veggies, and topping of feta cheese.

2. Step count- 20,450

3. I standby my guess but am not going to double down.

Don't blame me! The boys were in charge of this choice.

Between the hours we had spent at the Udvar-Hazy annex the day before and our two lengthy previous visits to the Air & Space Museum in 2010, I was a bit overwhelmed by planes at that point.

Got your answers!

:thumbsup2

Well.....not to high jack your thread...

Did 10 days London/Paris/DLP/London

Not at all! Thanks so much for sharing the details and pictures from your trip. Sounds awesome!

I have never been to France, but Mark and I were in London (and Westminster) for a few days before kids. We did many of the things you did, my favorite was The Tower of London! I loved that the history of the area went back so many years. Ben really wants to visit England and France with a particular focus on WWII landmarks.

As for your lunch I go with:
  • Rice plate
  • Chicken Kabob
  • Pick three
  • 1. Dill Yougurt Cucumber Sauce
  • 2. Cucumbers and Tomatoes
  • 3. Feta Cheese
Steps I'll say: 21,438

Answers noted!

Okay I never saw the question at the beginning so can I have a guess now?

If yes then I'll say 1 picture of all of you, there's usually at least one family photo op by a random stranger or tour operator.

Yes, I'll allow it!

:goodvibes

Okie doke here goes
1) meal- salad
2) base falafel
3) feta
Red cabbage slaw
Dill yoghurt cucumber sauce

21002 steps
Definitely double down in my photo guess. I'm living dangerously lol

Roti looked like a fun place to have lunch!

I would have a really hard time deciding what to order there as everything sounds good. I'll guess you went with the sandwich (wrap) with chicken, the spicy red pepper sauce, cous cous as your side and topped with olives.

I'll live dangeously today and double down on my guess. What have I got to lose?!

Air & Space! Nice choice! You can never go wrong with more planes.

Here is your challenge- design my meal.

Hmm ... I'm going to go with salad, chicken kabob, tomato and cucumber, fresh vegetables, and tahini.
(Have I mentioned that I'm bad at guessing food? It's because my default meal is "whatever, I don't care.")

What is our step count for the day?

At the beginning of the report, I asked you all to make a guess at how many family photos (all 4 of us) we got on this trip for 10 points. Hint: it was less than the number of family photos on our previous Washington DC trip in 2010.

I'm going to stick with my answer ... but I'm not confident enough to double down. Just sticking.

I think I have answers from everyone in the running, so I will try to finish this up in the next couple of days.

:goodvibes

PS- There was a secret "Word of the Day" bonus for anyone who used the word "factorial" to describe how many meal combinations were possible at Roti.

!

Math geeks unite!

:teacher:

Okie doke here goes
1) meal- salad
2) base falafel
3) feta
Red cabbage slaw
Dill yoghurt cucumber sauce

21002 steps
Definitely double down in my photo guess. I'm living dangerously lol

Answers noted!

Roti looked like a fun place to have lunch!

I would have a really hard time deciding what to order there as everything sounds good. I'll guess you went with the sandwich (wrap) with chicken, the spicy red pepper sauce, cous cous as your side and topped with olives.

I'll live dangeously today and double down on my guess. What have I got to lose?!

Roti was amazing! You can go there a bunch of days and never have the same meal twice. I love having a taste of different foods, especially Middle Eastern cuisines.

Got your answers.

Air & Space! Nice choice! You can never go wrong with more planes.

Hmm ... I'm going to go with salad, chicken kabob, tomato and cucumber, fresh vegetables, and tahini.
(Have I mentioned that I'm bad at guessing food? It's because my default meal is "whatever, I don't care.")

I'm going to stick with my answer ... but I'm not confident enough to double down. Just sticking.

There were some pretty historic and impressive planes there. There was a lot to learn. But it all went over my head.

rimshot.jpg

Guesses noted.

:cool2:

Love that museum. Seriously, I don't know how many times I've been through there, but I always look forward to checking it out whenever I'm in DC.

Can't remember- have you been out to the Udvar-Hazy annex. If not, you need to get there post-haste!

:car:

protein - salmon
base - rice
toppings - tomato & cucumber, red cabbage slaw, fresh vegetables

I'll keep my guess.

Woah! You went healthy on me!

Answers noted.

Roti and Fini

As we approached our hotel, we split up. The boys went to the food court and I went across the street to Roti. I love Mediterranean food and I loved the idea of designing my meal out of so many awesome choices.

I didn’t make you guess my drink, but they sure had some interesting ones.

Both the Blueberry Basil Lemonade and the Pomegranate Lemonade with Black Tea sounded really good, but I was afraid of spilling the drink (and the stain that would result), so I got the White Peach Vanilla Bean Green Tea:

WP_20160421_099 (2).jpg

But I know you are not interested in that…

Ma cherie Mademoiselles (et Messieurs),
It is with deepest pride and greatest pleasure
That I welcome you today
And now, I invite you to relax
Pull up a chair
As Roti proudly presents
My lunch!

*my deepest apologies to Lumiere!

WP_20160421_101.jpg

This wonderful Rice Plate is made up of Roti Chicken with a Dill, Yogurt and Cucumber Sauce with an accompaniment of Red Cabbage Slaw and Hummus.

This was SO GOOD!

Ben’s lunch was a beef and shrimp stir-fry.

WP_20160421_102.jpg

I don’t know what Mark and Nate had to eat. Apparently, it was not picture-worthy.

After lunch we went back into the hotel so we could print out our boarding passes at the guest computers. We were having a really hard time- there were two computers and one of them kept freezing when we hit print. So we switched over to the other one and we were able to get what we needed. We let someone at the front desk know that there was a problem with one of the computers, but he didn’t seem to care.

Boarding passes now in hand, we went out to the front of the hotel and caught a cab to the airport.

I don’t remember anything remarkable happening while we waited at the airport or during our short (1 hour) flight, but here are the final pictures I took during the trip:

WP_20160421_103.jpg

WP_20160421_104.jpg

WP_20160421_105.jpg

The End

Speaking of pictures- how many family photos did we get of all four of us in Washington DC?

My hint was that we had fewer pictures than we did on our trip in 2010. On that trip, we had 2 family pictures, taken by a stranger I asked when we were at the Museum of Natural History on our last day.

This trip: Zero!

I am really disappointed about that.

A great opportunity would have been the night we took the monuments tour after dark because we had our own driver, but whenever he dropped us off, he had to drive away and find a place to park until we called him.

Or, we could have done a selfie in front of the White House. But the boys would have been horrified by that suggestion.

The final opportunity for points was our step count for our final day. This was our least active day, with a total of only 11,752 steps.

Here are the point additions for this update:

rteetz: 20 (10 points for chicken, 10 points for 2nd place on step count)
luvpoohandcompany: 20 (10 points each for red cabbage slaw and dill yogurt sauce, 5 points for 3rd place on step count, lost 5 for doubling down on 4 photos :sad2:)
bookgirl: 30 (10 points each for rice plate, chicken and dill yogurt sauce) Even with a late start, you finished in the medal round!
SarahDisney: 25 (10 points for chicken, 15 points for first place on step count :cheer2:)
annie170: 5 (10 points for chicken, -5 for doubling down on 2 photos)
Wood Nymph: 30 (10 points each for rice plate and red cabbage slaw and 10 points for correctly having no faith in us getting a single family photo)
afwdwfan: 10 (Zero family photos)
pas130: 20

And the final scores:

rteetz: 215
luvpoohandcompany: 210
bookgirl: 210
SarahDisney: 175
Wood Nymph: 155
annie170: 145
afwdwfan: 60
pas130: 20

Congratulations @rteetz !!!

party:

Thank you everyone for reading and playing along. Hope you enjoyed the tour of Washington DC through my family's eyes.

:cool2:

Last edited:
Ah what great trip we had together :goodvibes I loved seeing Washington through your photos and commentary. Thanks for a great report :thumbsup2

Congratulations to rteetz on winning. It was great fun guessing along the way even if I didn't win:charac2::rotfl:

OMG I can't believe I won!

I'm not a hummus guy but your food does look good. I probably would've went with what Ben had.

That sucks that you got 0 pictures of all of you.

It looks like it was a great trip. I had fun following along and playing the trivia game.

Your meal looks great!

Sad that the trip is over (with no family pictures!), but hopefully it was still a good trip! I haven't been to DC in a few years, so it was definitely nice to see some of the sights and read about your adventures!

And I'm happy with 4th place in the contest ... I'm not always great at guessing, so I'll take anything that isn't last!

It was nice to get some good points in the final round. ::yes:: I think I did pretty good overall considering that I've never been to Wash DC and have no idea where all these places are and how far apart they are.

You had an amazing trip. We need to go to DC some day. I like how so many things are free. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter