Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

Your breakfast that morning looks quite tasty! (I'm not a sweets person at breakfast, either.)

Waiting for your tour sounded a bit chaotic. I can't imagine how the sign would get lost...for the second time!:rotfl2:

I did not know each state contributed 2 statues for display...now I'm off to research who Florida sent in. I loved seeing the photos you took of the ones from Hawaii, ND, and Colorado.

I've always wanted to visit the Whispering Room! I learned about it in Trig, of all places, and it just seemed very cool, to be able to listen in on conversations being held across the room. Makes you wonder how nosy the people in the 1800s were. :rotfl:

Can't wait to see what your last museum was before your flight home!

The chaos of you tour sounds like the chaos we endured at the Guinness Storehouse tour! Crazy disorganization :crazy2:
Boy was I way off in my last round lol. The whispering room sounds amazing :)
I'm guessing you visited the Holocaust museum on your way back to the hotel.

I had heard that they're doing work on the Capitol Building ... its interesting to see it with the scaffolding up. It just seems weird, especially if the artwork is hard to see. I'm sure it will look fantastic once all the work is gone.

For the last museum guess I'll go with the National Gallery of Art. Because that's where I went last time I was in DC (literally the only place I went ... I was only there for a few hours).

I've enjoying following along on your tour of Washington DC. I've never been there but I think I need to correct that. ::yes::

I've going to guess Museum of the American Indian. I was tempted to say one of the art galleries, too, since that would be something that you hadn't done yet. But then, maybe not. :)

Your breakfast looked really good. I've only eaten at Corner Bakery Cafe a few times, but have never had a bad meal. What did Ben order?

I never knew about the two statues from each state. That's really interesting. I wonder if a state has ever changed one out for someone else.

I'll try the Holocaust Memorial Museum for your last visit only because that is what I would choose from that list.

Scored a road test, but Nate did not pass (he froze up parallel parking in Mark's car.
Parallel parking is overrated. You can always avoid it if you want to. Being someone who drives a truck that's about 20' long I don't even try unless there's an open space on the end of a row.

In hindsight, we probably should have hailed a taxi or an Uber ride from the train station, but for Mark, who has a daily commute of 2 hours each way into Boston, this journey was no problem.
Holy crap. I don't think I could ever do that.

This museum is an incredible national treasure. The boys were fascinated by all of the exhibits. I was a bit overloaded.
I can imagine. I'd love to spend a few hours wandering around all the aircraft there.

I loved the pictures from your private limo tour of the memorials at night. I love seeing them all after dark like that, but you definitely chose the best tour option! It's nice to be able to pick the highlights you prioritize and spend as much or as little time as you'd like.

That's a bummer that you visited the Capitol while there was so much work being done. It does take away some of it, but at least you got to go and see it.

Fun fact, but I've had a private tour on my last 2 visits to the Capitol. One of the trips, I was given a tour by a Senator's staffers. The other, I started off with staffer and then we were met in the rotunda and our tour was given by our Congressman. When we were finished, he left us to go into the House for a vote and the staffer then took us into the gallery so we could sit and watch the activity on the House floor for about an hour.

And the coolest thing is that this particular Congressman is now pretty well known. He's been busy the past few months putting out fires set by Donald Trump.

Not to make a political statement one way or another, but when your former Congressman with whom you've met several times moves on to become governor and then has an opportunity to possibly become VP, that's pretty cool.

So a little housekeeping before I get to replies.

None of you has guessed the correct museum, so I am giving you another chance.

@rteetz @luvpoohandcompany @SarahDisney @annie170 @Wood Nymph

I haven't started to write the next update, but I am going to try to post it on Sunday morning.

@bookgirl You still have time to get in a guess, but you just get one. But you will be able to eliminate all of the ones guessed already.

Here is the updated point total after reflecting the points annie170 asked for.

Updated Leader Board, September 30

rteetz: 195
luvpoohandcompany: 190
bookgirl: 165
SarahDisney: 150
annie170: 140
Wood Nymph: 125
afwdwfan: 50
pas130: 20

I'm going to say the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Nope.

:guilty:

Your breakfast that morning looks quite tasty! (I'm not a sweets person at breakfast, either.)

Waiting for your tour sounded a bit chaotic. I can't imagine how the sign would get lost...for the second time!:rotfl2:

I did not know each state contributed 2 statues for display...now I'm off to research who Florida sent in. I loved seeing the photos you took of the ones from Hawaii, ND, and Colorado.

I've always wanted to visit the Whispering Room! I learned about it in Trig, of all places, and it just seemed very cool, to be able to listen in on conversations being held across the room. Makes you wonder how nosy the people in the 1800s were. :rotfl:

Can't wait to see what your last museum was before your flight home!

I did enjoy that breakfast!

Did you look up the statues for Florida? I'm going to have to look now because I am curious and I can't think of who they might be. Flagler is the only one who comes to mind.

ETA:
John Gorrie Edmund Kirby Smith
(Who???)

Funny about the Whispering spot- the tour guides say that spot in the room held John Q Adams' desk so he could eavesdrop on his political enemies, but according to the interwebs, the features of the room that allow this phenomenon were not put into place until after he was no longer in Congress.

The chaos of you tour sounds like the chaos we endured at the Guinness Storehouse tour! Crazy disorganization :crazy2:
Boy was I way off in my last round lol. The whispering room sounds amazing :)
I'm guessing you visited the Holocaust museum on your way back to the hotel.

Well, if you know much about US Government, you aren't surprised about the confusion at the seat of our government.

Still nope on the Holocaust Museum.

:sad2:

I had heard that they're doing work on the Capitol Building ... its interesting to see it with the scaffolding up. It just seems weird, especially if the artwork is hard to see. I'm sure it will look fantastic once all the work is gone.

For the last museum guess I'll go with the National Gallery of Art. Because that's where I went last time I was in DC (literally the only place I went ... I was only there for a few hours).

The artwork in the rotunda is impressive, it was disappointing not to be able to have decent views.

Not the National Gallery of Art.

Try again.

:(

Your breakfast looked really good. I've only eaten at Corner Bakery Cafe a few times, but have never had a bad meal. What did Ben order?

I never knew about the two statues from each state. That's really interesting. I wonder if a state has ever changed one out for someone else.

I'll try the Holocaust Memorial Museum for your last visit only because that is what I would choose from that list.

ACK! Since I didn't take a picture, can't find the receipt, and didn't eat it, I don't remember what Ben got!

Yes, states have changed them out.

"A 2003 change in the law allows a state to remove a previously placed statue from the collection and replace it with another. Since this change, six states have replaced statues, with one of those states in the process of replacing a second statue; one other is in the process of replacing a statue"

Sounds like we should have visited the Holocaust Museum. Nate had actually just completed a class in Holocaust Studies at school. But we went someplace else.

:worried:

Last edited:
:welcome: back!

It is so good to hear from you, but please understand you will have no expectation from me about keeping up.

:hug:

Parallel parking is overrated. You can always avoid it if you want to. Being someone who drives a truck that's about 20' long I don't even try unless there's an open space on the end of a row.

I took my driver's test in NH and we didn't have to parallel park. We just needed to back into a space. I don't think I have attempted to parallel park since driver's ed more than 30 years ago. Give me a parking lot please or like you said, a space on the end or beginning of a row.

:car:

Holy crap. I don't think I could ever do that.

It is a lot of time to be commuting. He leaves the house at 4:40 am and either gets home at 6 pm or 6:40 pm if he is taking the late train. An hour each way is on the train, so he can read and 20 minutes of it is walking across town, so he gets some exercise. But it takes a toll on him.

:headache:

Air & Space Museum:

I can imagine. I'd love to spend a few hours wandering around all the aircraft there.

I loved the pictures from your private limo tour of the memorials at night. I love seeing them all after dark like that, but you definitely chose the best tour option! It's nice to be able to pick the highlights you prioritize and spend as much or as little time as you'd like.

That's a bummer that you visited the Capitol while there was so much work being done. It does take away some of it, but at least you got to go and see it.

Fun fact, but I've had a private tour on my last 2 visits to the Capitol. One of the trips, I was given a tour by a Senator's staffers. The other, I started off with staffer and then we were met in the rotunda and our tour was given by our Congressman. When we were finished, he left us to go into the House for a vote and the staffer then took us into the gallery so we could sit and watch the activity on the House floor for about an hour.

And the coolest thing is that this particular Congressman is now pretty well known. He's been busy the past few months putting out fires set by Donald Trump.

Not to make a political statement one way or another, but when your former Congressman with whom you've met several times moves on to become governor and then has an opportunity to possibly become VP, that's pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

I'm really glad we went out to the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Annex, but I think we should have skipped the bus and found a more direct transportation mode.

We absolutely made the right choice for the nighttime monuments tour. It was incredible.

A private tour of the Capitol sounds incredible. That is very cool that you have met Governor Pence and although I can understand that it would be impressive to "know" the country's Vice President, I hope that is not the outcome.

Fun fact about my political "connections". I grew up in New Hampshire and graduated from both high school and college right before major elections. Walter Mondale spoke at my high school graduation and George HW Bush was the commencement speaker at UNH.

::yes::

@bookgirl You still have time to get in a guess, but you just get one. But you will be able to eliminate all of the ones guessed already.

:worried:

Thanks. I just got back from Europe (you'd be so proud I have over 500 pictures and that's after the first edit of feet shots and brick walls have been removed) so I'm behind on all things social media.

I'll go with the Air and Space Museum because that's where I'd go, again Space Geek and proud.

I kept forgetting to put in another guess on the museum. I'll go with Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

I have got to get this finished up so I can get started on the Anniversary trip!!!

Last call on a 2nd museum guess- @rteetz and @SarahDisney

Thanks. I just got back from Europe (you'd be so proud I have over 500 pictures and that's after the first edit of feet shots and brick walls have been removed) so I'm behind on all things social media.

I'll go with the Air and Space Museum because that's where I'd go, again Space Geek and proud.

Wow!!! That is fantastic. Where in Europe did you visit?

Your answer is noted.

:cool2:

Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden

I'm going out on a limb and choosing this one because it is an oddball in your list. ;)

A risky guess.

:goodvibes

Ok for guess 2 I'm going with the botanical gardens :)

Got your answer.

:flower1:

I kept forgetting to put in another guess on the museum. I'll go with Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

You apparently had plenty of time to answer since I have neglected this report for weeks!

I have got to get this finished up so I can get started on the Anniversary trip!!!

Last call on a 2nd museum guess- @rteetz and @SarahDisney

Wow!!! That is fantastic. Where in Europe did you visit?

Your answer is noted.

:cool2:

A risky guess.

:goodvibes

Got your answer.

:flower1:

You apparently had plenty of time to answer since I have neglected this report for weeks!

Okay I'll say the US Botanic gardens

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there was a trip report where my family toured Washington, DC.

I have A New Hope that The Force Awakens long enough for me to finish this report!

The Force Awakens.jpg

**********************************************************************************

Da Planes! Da Planes!

Alternate Titles Considered: Throw Mama from the Plane or Planes on the Brain

When we finished our tour at the Capitol Building, we had time for one more museum before returning to our hotel, getting some lunch and heading to the airport for our afternoon flight home.

WP_20160421_056.jpg

We walked down Museum Row.

Here’s the US Botanic Gardens.

WP_20160421_059.jpg

WP_20160421_057.jpg

WP_20160421_058.jpg

Nope, we didn’t stop here.

Sorry, @luvpoohandcompany and @rteetz.

We stopped before reaching the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

WP_20160421_089.jpg

Not this time, @Wood Nymph and @annie170

Our destination, as @bookgirl will be happy to see, was the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.

WP_20160421_063.jpg

Yes, my friends. MORE planes and spacecraft!!!

WP_20160421_073.jpg

WP_20160421_065.jpg

WP_20160421_070.jpg

Apollo-Soyuz

WP_20160421_071.jpg

Hubble?

WP_20160421_067.jpg

WP_20160421_084.jpg

WP_20160421_082.jpg

WP_20160421_076.jpg

Next Up: The End and Contest Results

Questions for the Final Update:

The boys returned to the food court for lunch. I went across the street and got takeout from Roti, a Mediterranean, design your own plate place.

You pick a meal (sandwich, rice plate or salad), a base (protein or vegetable) and then a total of 3 sides/toppings/sauces.

WP_20160421_098.jpg

WP_20160421_097.jpg

Here is your challenge- design my meal.

10 points for each correct guess for 1) meal 2) base and 3) sides/toppings (pick 3) for a possible total of 50 points.

What is our step count for the day?

Walk to breakfast at food court, walk to Metro to US Capitol, tour Capitol, walk 4 blocks to Air & Space Museum, tour museum, 10 blocks to Hotel then we take a cab to airport, plane flight, arrive home.

These were our step counts from the previous days:

Monday 24,026

Tuesday 26,978

Wednesday 18, 878

At the beginning of the report, I asked you all to make a guess at how many family photos (all 4 of us) we got on this trip for 10 points. Hint: it was less than the number of family photos on our previous Washington DC trip in 2010.

Here were your guesses:

Wood Nymph: 0
afwdwfan: 0
pas130: 1
hill6: 1
annie170: 2
luvpoohandcompany: 3
SarahDisney: 3
rteetz: 4

One or more of you guessed correctly.

Stick with your guess and if it is right, you get 10 points. If you are very confident in your prediction, double down and you get 20 points! But if you double down and are wrong, I will deduct 5 points from your total score. If you want to change your guess, I will allow that, but you will only get 5 points if you guess the right one.

Confused?

:confused3

How many family photos (all 4 of us) do we have from this trip?

Here is the current leaderboard, as of October 31, reflecting 15 points for bookgirl for guessing the Air & Space Museum:

bookgirl: 180

Last edited:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there was a trip report where my family toured Washington, DC.

I have A New Hope that The Force Awakens long enough for me to finish this report!

View attachment 204116

**********************************************************************************

When we finished our tour at the Capitol Building, we had time for one more museum before returning to our hotel, getting some lunch and heading to the airport for our afternoon flight home.

WP_20160421_056.jpg

We walked down Museum Row.

Here’s the US Botanic Gardens.

WP_20160421_059.jpg

WP_20160421_057.jpg

WP_20160421_058.jpg

Nope, we didn’t stop here.

Sorry, @luvpoohandcompany and @rteetz.

We stopped before reaching the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

WP_20160421_089.jpg

Not this time, @Wood Nymph and @annie170

Our destination, as @bookgirl will be happy to see, was the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum.

WP_20160421_063.jpg

Yes, my friends. MORE planes and spacecraft!!!

WP_20160421_073.jpg

WP_20160421_065.jpg

WP_20160421_070.jpg

Apollo-Soyuz

WP_20160421_071.jpg

Hubble?

WP_20160421_067.jpg

WP_20160421_084.jpg

WP_20160421_082.jpg

WP_20160421_076.jpg

Next Up: The End and Contest Results

The boys returned to the food court for lunch. I went across the street and got takeout from Roti, a Mediterranean, design your own plate place.

You pick a meal (sandwich, rice plate or salad), a base (protein or vegetable) and then a total of 3 sides/toppings/sauces.

WP_20160421_098.jpg

WP_20160421_097.jpg

10 points for each correct guess for 1) meal 2) base and 3) sides/toppings (pick 3) for a possible total of 50 points.

Walk to breakfast at food court, walk to Metro to US Capitol, tour Capitol, walk 4 blocks to Air & Space Museum, tour museum, 10 blocks to Hotel then we take a cab to airport, plane flight, arrive home.

These were our step counts from the previous days:

Monday 24,026

Tuesday 26,978

Wednesday 18, 878

At the beginning of the report, I asked you all to make a guess at how many family photos (all 4 of us) we got on this trip for 10 points. Hint: it was less than the number of family photos on our previous Washington DC trip in 2010.

Here were your guesses:

Wood Nymph: 0
afwdwfan: 0
pas130: 1
hill6: 1
annie170: 2
luvpoohandcompany: 3
SarahDisney: 3
rteetz: 4

One or more of you guessed correctly.

Stick with your guess and if it is right, you get 10 points. If you are very confident in your prediction, double down and you get 20 points! But if you double down and are wrong, I will deduct 5 points from your total score. If you want to change your guess, I will allow that, but you will only get 5 points if you guess the right one.

Confused?

:confused3

Here is the current leaderboard, as of October 31, reflecting 15 points for bookgirl for guessing the Air & Space Museum:

bookgirl: 180
Of course you had to walk past my guess lol.

Nothing is wrong with more planes though.

Questions:
1. I say you got a sandwich, pita pocket, chicken roti, roti vinaigrette, fresh veggies, and topping of feta cheese.

2. Step count- 20,450

3. I standby my guess but am not going to double down.

As for your lunch I go with:
  • Rice plate
  • Chicken Kabob
  • Pick three
  • 1. Dill Yougurt Cucumber Sauce
  • 2. Cucumbers and Tomatoes
  • 3. Feta Cheese
Steps I'll say: 21,438

Okay I never saw the question at the beginning so can I have a guess now?
If yes then I'll say 1 picture of all of you, there's usually at least one family photo op by a random stranger or tour operator.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter