Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

That Air and Space Museum is awesome and looks well worth the distance you had to travel to get there. I love your photos, too.

I'll guess you took a trolley to view the monuments that evening. The only reason I chose this is because my daughter and son-in-law did this a couple years ago. I think it was called Monuments by Moonlight.

Regarding your camera, I'll guess the memory card was full from the afternoon at the museum.

I'm going to guess trolley for the transportation. And I was thinking that your memory card was full, even before Annie170 guessed it. :)

Looks like an awesome time! That is definitely a museum on my bucket list. I love planes and really all transportation since I was a little boy.

On tonight’s agenda is touring the monuments at night. What means of transportation do we use to experience Washington after dark? 25 points

Once again, the next update will not include any pictures from my DSLR. What is the reason for my big girl camera fail this time? 25 points

I am going to say a bus tour.

Ran out of space on the memory card because you forgot to delete older pictures and videos.

I'm going to do this a little differently this time. I'll update first, then do replies since most of them are responses to the contest questions.

Coming right up: "Dude! They got a limo!"

:drive:

Monuments by Moonlight: “Dude! They got a limo!”

Flashback:

On our first trip to Washington DC back in July 1991, we went on a tour of the monuments at night by bus. The main thing I remember about that was how hot it was. We saw a thermometer register over 100 degrees at 6:30 pm. When we arrived at the beautiful Lincoln Memorial, we spent our time there waiting in line at a snack stand to purchase a bottle of water.

I have wanted to do a night monument tour on our trip 5 years ago, but the timing never worked out and the boys were just too tired at night during that trip.

Back to this trip-

Earlier that morning, before we had breakfast and left for the National Archives, I arranged for our transportation. Mark had found an advertisement in one of the maps that listed Moonlight Tours of DC for $49.95 (4 passenger minimum) by Majestic Limousines.

“We’ll pick you up at your hotel for a 2 ½ private tour- White House, Capitol Hill, Lincoln, FDR, Jefferson Memorials, Iwo Jima and more…”

(703) 273-4222

http://majesticlimoservice.com/

This price was only $10 more per person than the trolley and bus night tours we saw advertised. A tip would increase our overall price, but we thought that being able to set the itinerary and the amount of time we spend at each of the stops would be a worthwhile trade-off for the extra cost.

I looked at a few reviews online and they were positive, so we booked it for a pickup time of 7 pm.

That did not leave us much time in between our return from the Udvar-Hazy Space Annex and when we had to meet our driver. I think we stopped somewhere (Starbucks? Food Court?) for a quick dinner that we brought back to our room.

I grabbed our stuff, which included my Canon DSLR and we went out to the street to wait. I actually did not have this camera with me earlier in the day (I used my phone and compact point & shoot) because I didn’t want to lug the big camera around, so the guesses that I filled up the memory card at the space museum were not correct. Since we would have lots of space in the car, tonight was a great chance to take my camera.

Although we booked through Majestic Limousine, I know the definition of limo can be very broad and sometimes just means a town car, we told the boys we were getting a private car.

When this pulled up, and the boys realized this was our ride, they were pretty excited. Their first time in a limo and I think only our 3rd or 4th.

WP_20160420_061.jpg

WP_20160420_059.jpg

WP_20160420_060.jpg

They ARE excited. Really.

The driver asked what we wanted to see. At least I think that is what he said.

This was the only downside of the tour. The driver had a very strong accent. My hearing is very poor. Usually the guys are able to understand what is being said, but even they were having trouble. I felt badly that we had to ask him to repeat himself many times.

But we were able to communicate that we wanted to see the Jefferson Memorial, preferably first because we hadn’t made it over yet. We also wanted to see the Roosevelt Memorial, Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial, WWII, Lincoln, Korean War Memorial, Marine Memorial (Iwo Jima) in whatever order made sense.

I took my camera out and discovered there was no battery in the camera. I knew one was charging back in the hotel room, but I thought I had the spare with me. I looked in all of the pockets in my waist pack and didn’t find it. Checked my string bag. Not there, either. Damn!

First stop was the Jefferson Memorial. The driver gave me his phone number and dropped us off. He told us to call when we were finished and showed us where he would pick us up. There is limited parking around the areas we would be, so he couldn’t stay in spot unless he was picking up passengers.

WP_20160420_084.jpg

WP_20160420_085.jpg

Look! It’s not just Cinderella’s Castle that is plagued by pesky cranes!

WP_20160420_080.jpg

WP_20160420_066.jpg

WP_20160420_078.jpg

WP_20160420_079.jpg

WP_20160420_19_33_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20160420_069.jpg

WP_20160420_070.jpg

While we were at the Jefferson, we watched as a helicopter repeatedly took off and landed at the White House. It must have been some sort of training, because this went on the entire time we were on the tour.

DSCF0641.jpg

DSCF0644.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

DSCF0642.jpg

WP_20160420_062.jpg

WP_20160420_065.jpg

Our next stop was the FDR memorial- this is a very widespread, beautiful park. There were not too many people when we first arrived, but then a tour showed up.

WP_20160420_097.jpg

WP_20160420_087.jpg

WP_20160420_089.jpg

WP_20160420_091.jpg

WP_20160420_093.jpg

WP_20160420_095.jpg

Continued in Next Post:

Continued from Previous Post:

Out of the Mountain of Despair, a Stone of Hope

We then visited the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Park, which opened to the public on August 22, 2011. This was after our last family visit to DC.

The centerpiece for the memorial is based on a line from King's "I Have A Dream" speech: "Out of a mountain of despair, a stone of hope." A 30 feet (9.1 m)-high relief of King named the Stone of Hope stands past two other pieces of granite that symbolize the "mountain of despair." Visitors figuratively "pass through" the Mountain of Despair on the way to the Stone of Hope, symbolically "moving through the struggle as Dr. King did during his life."

A 450 feet (140 m)-long inscription wall includes excerpts from many of King's sermons and speeches. On this crescent-shaped granite wall, fourteen of King's quotes are inscribed, the earliest from the time of the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott and the latest from his final sermon, delivered in 1968 at Washington, D.C.'s National Cathedral, just four days before his assassination.

The relief of King is intended to give the impression that he is looking over the Tidal Basin toward the horizon, and that the cherry trees that "adorn the site" will bloom every year during the anniversary of King's death.

DSCF0653.jpg

DSCF0654.jpg

We continued on with a stop at the US Marine Corp War Memorial (aka Iwo Jima Memorial)

Based on an iconic image of the second flag-raising on the island of Iwo Jima during World War II, the US Marine Corps War Memorial is dedicated to "the Marine dead of all wars and their comrades of other services who fell fighting beside them."

WP_20160420_101.jpg

WP_20160420_20_26_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20160420_104.jpg

WP_20160420_106.jpg

I am really disappointed that this picture is so blurry. L

WP_20160420_110.jpg

Our next stop was the World War II Memorial. This site is just stunning at night!

WP_20160420_137.jpg

WP_20160420_115.jpg

WP_20160420_117.jpg

WP_20160420_127.jpg

WP_20160420_20_43_17_Pro.jpg

WP_20160420_20_46_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20160420_121.jpg

WP_20160420_124.jpg

WP_20160420_130.jpg

WP_20160420_135.jpg

WP_20160420_132.jpg

WP_20160420_126.jpg

As we were walking to our car after touring the WWII memorial, a school group was walking towards their tour bus. We heard one teen proclaim to his friends “Dude! They got a limo!”

We made the short drive to the Lincoln Memorial

WP_20160420_106.jpg

WP_20160420_141.jpg

WP_20160420_144.jpg

WP_20160420_146.jpg

WP_20160420_147.jpg

We walked over to the Korean War Memorial. My pictures from here are bad. Really bad. This is one of Mark’s:

WP_20160420_21_17_33_Pro.jpg

We still had more time, about 20 minutes on our tour. Our driver asked where we wanted to go. He gave us two choices. One was driving the National Cathedral to look around. I totally have no idea what the second option was. Couldn’t understand what he said.

(Let’s go to the one I heard) “Let’s go to the National Cathedral”

The ride to and from was interesting, especially to the boys, as we drove through Embassy Row. They loved seeing the embassies from different countries.

The Cathedral was closed, but our driver told us to go up and peek through the windows. Um, okay, that doesn’t seem quite right, but sure.

WP_20160420_161.jpg

WP_20160420_159.jpg

WP_20160420_160.jpg

When we left there, we drove through Georgetown on the way back to our hotel.

I was putting away my point and shoot in my camera case and what did I find?

The spare (charged) battery for my DSLR. D'OH!!!

PHEW! It was another jam-packed day.

Buffet breakfast at our hotel. Walk to and tour National Archives. Walk to and tour Ford’s Theatre (briefly). Walk back to our hotel food court for lunch. Walk to Metro. Metro and bus to Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum. Tour museum for 2 hours. Walk from Metro to hotel. Limo tour of Monuments and Memorials.

Contest Questions:

1. What was our step count for today?

2. On our final morning, we scheduled a tour of the US Capitol. The building is 15 blocks away from our hotel. How do we get there? 15 points

3. As we were in the visitor’s center, waiting for our tour of the Capitol to begin, Nate spotted a Senator. Who was it? 15 Points

Hint: Current US Senator, has been a candidate for US President

Next up: A Capitol Idea!

Last edited:
Contest Questions Results:

On tonight’s agenda is touring the monuments at night. What means of transportation do we use to experience Washington after dark? 25 points

Limo

Once again, the next update will not include any pictures from my DSLR. What is the reason for my big girl camera fail this time? 25 points[/QUOTE]

Couldn't find the camera battery.

DSCF0582.jpg

HIDDEN MICKEY

Ben got this t-shirt:

tshirt.jpg

Nice shirt, I still would have gone for the Scale Model of a space craft..(Space Nerd...I've met an Apollo astronaut :worship: okay I might have gotten the shirt AND the space craft)

Next up: Washington After Dark

New Contest Questions:

Tour Bus....either a HOP on HOP Off or one of those guided drive by mini buses

Once again, the next update will not include any pictures from my DSLR. What is the reason for my big girl camera fail this time? 25 points

Due to the short break turnaround and rush to get hangry boys on the move you forgot the camera or it's spare battery in the hotel room.

I did not notice the Hidden Mickey until you pointed it out! 5 points!

On our last trip to DC, Ben did get a couple of plane models. Not this time though.

Meeting an astronaut- Cool!

Well you guessed that the battery was one of the reasons I didn't get any pictures, but you actually gave two guesses, so I am going to ding you 5 points for that. 20 points earned of total.

Okie doke I'm guessing you saw all the nightime monument by helicopter since your tooties are tired out from all the steps taken so far and I reckon you decided not to take any photos because your a romantic and decided you'd rather hold hands with Mark (or maybe you simply forgot to bring a memory card with space on it since you used up all the other space at the udvar-hazy).
ok I know I cant have 2 guesses so I'll go with the lack of space on the memory card lol

Oh and well done on getting a photo of the backs of those 3 handsome lads but also a profile shot while they were paying attention :thumbsup2 Super sleuth mum wins the day :rotfl:

FYI- I gave you the answer of helicopter because I was afraid you had seen my recommendation of the night limo tour to someone on Facebook. But your guess of Uber, which you messaged to me was not correct, either.

But I am going to give you 10 points for the romantic answer for why I didn't take pictures with my Canon. :love:

I love all of the pictures from the Udvar-Hazy Center! I really need to go there at some point, it looks like something that's right up my alley (I've seen some similar stuff at the Intrepid Museum here in NYC, but nowhere near as much). And Ben's t-shirt is cool!

It was astonishing to think about the history in those two hangars!

One of those bus tours.

:(

You used up all the battery taking pictures earlier in the day and didn't have a spare battery (or time to charge it)

25 points to you!!!

:cheer2:

That Air and Space Museum is awesome and looks well worth the distance you had to travel to get there. I love your photos, too.

I'll guess you took a trolley to view the monuments that evening. The only reason I chose this is because my daughter and son-in-law did this a couple years ago. I think it was called Monuments by Moonlight.

Regarding your camera, I'll guess the memory card was full from the afternoon at the museum.

Great museum if you can get there!

5 points. Just because.

:goodvibes

I'm going to guess trolley for the transportation. And I was thinking that your memory card was full, even before Annie170 guessed it. :)

5 to you.

:cool2:

Looks like an awesome time! That is definitely a museum on my bucket list. I love planes and really all transportation since I was a little boy.

You would love it!!!

:cool1:

I am going to say a bus tour.

Ran out of space on the memory card because you forgot to delete older pictures and videos.

5 points

::yes::

Updated Leader Board, September 13

luvpoohandcompany: 190
rteetz: 165
bookgirl: 160
SarahDisney: 135
Wood Nymph: 110
annie170: 110
afwdwfan: 50
pas130: 20

As always, let me know if I have miscalculated your total!

:teacher:

Last edited:

Contest Questions:

2. On our final morning, we scheduled a tour of the US Capitol. The building is 15 blocks away from our hotel. How do we get there? 15 points

3. As we were in the visitor’s center, waiting for our tour of the Capitol to begin, Nate spotted a Senator. Who was it? 15 Points

The monuments look so cool at night!

1. 22,300 steps

2. I'm going to say you brave souls walked those 15 blocks.

3. This is tough. I'm not sure if your hint means this year or in past years. I'm going to go with John McCain.

I was intentionally vague with my hint.

But these are the Current US Senators who have been candidates for US President:

Ted Cruz- TX
John McCain- AZ
Rand Paul- KY
Marco Rubio- TX
Bernie Sanders- VT

Last edited:
A 450 feet (140 m)-long inscription wall includes excerpts from many of King's sermons and speeches. On this crescent-shaped granite wall, fourteen of King's quotes are inscribed, the earliest from the time of the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott and the latest from his final sermon, delivered in 1968 at Washington, D.C.'s National Cathedral, just four days before his assassination.
Those are great quotes. Dr King had an amazing way with words. He was truly inspirational. What a tragic loss his death was.

The ride to and from was interesting, especially to the boys, as we drove through Embassy Row. They loved seeing the embassies from different countries.
That would be cool to see. ::yes::

When we left there, we drove through Georgetown on the way back to our hotel.

I was putting away my point and shoot in my camera case and what did I find?

The spare (charged) battery for my DSLR. D'OH!!!
Wow - that is sad. ;)

Contest Questions:

25,200 steps

you walked

John McCain

I love all of the monument pictures! I haven't seen most of those (I haven't been to DC in a while and really should go back sometime), so it was great to see pictures.
LOL at the crane ... I guess it's not just Disney. I wonder if people complain about that crane as much as they complain about the one at MK?

Walk. That's less than a mile, and I think you guys are good walkers.

Hmm... I'm going to go with the Canadian, Sen. Ted Cruz.
If I'm wrong ... can I get points for taking a class in college with Joe Lieberman's daughter (this was while he was senator)? She was nice ... I didn't really talk to her much, but when I did, she was very kind and friendly.

Contest Questions:

Uber

Bernie Sanders

I was intentionally vague with my hint.

But these are the Current US Senators who have been candidates for US President:

Ted Cruz- TX
John McCain- AZ
Rand Paul- KY
Marco Rubio- TX
Bernie Sanders- VT

Thanks for this list- multiple choice makes it soooo much easier to guess someone who's at least been in the running lol. So my answers are
1) 28763 steps
2) Marco Rubio
3) cab

Loved the virtual tour and I'd definitely have gone with the limo. Lol at how excited the boys are in the photo- gotta love how teens show all their emotions :rotfl2:Great deal- shame about the accent though. Love the quotations especially the one about light and love :)

Last edited:
Those monuments at night are just beautiful. Kind of like Disney at night! it's nice to know that there's still plenty to do during the evenings in DC.

I hate when I misplace things like you did with your camera battery.

I'll guess 26,463 steps, John McCain for the senator and you walked the 15 blocks to the US Capitol.

That's a pretty cool tour choice. The appeal of having a driver take you where you want to go, in the order you choose, probably made it well worth the extra cost. I've been keeping mental notes of all your tours/choices just in case I make it to D.C. soon. Seeing all your photos, I really hope I do.
I don't think I've ever seen the WWII memorial at night before....beautiful.

A Capitol Morning

First things, first. Our step count from the previous day was only 18,878. Wow, I am humbled by all of the 20K plus guesses! But remember, the day before, when we went to the Udar-Hazy Air & Space Museum, we spent around 4 hours getting there by Metro and bus, so that really cut into our walking time.

This was our final day in DC. We had a 3:15 pm flight, so we had all morning to tour. We did not tour the US Capitol building on our previous visit to Washington, and with the boys interest in politics, this was an important destination for us. When I went to book this, there were lots of openings during the week. I chose the first tour of the day, at 8:50 am.

We split up to get breakfast- Mark took Nate to the food court, where he wanted to go the previous day. Ben and I went to a counter place that was in the block of our hotel. I can’t remember the name and I can’t find the receipt. They seemed to have a large menu for breakfast and lunch.

Sorry these menu board pictures are so blurry!

DSCF0666.jpg

DSCF0669.jpg

DSCF0670.jpg

DSCF0671.jpg

Although this looks really interesting, I don’t like my breakfast to be overly sweet:

DSCF0668.jpg

I prefer savory, so I got this Mexican breakfast scramble.

DSCF0672.jpg

It was really good!

When we finished, it was time to make our way to the Capitol building.

We walked…

To the Metro!

We still had balances on our Smart Cards, so we saved a few steps.

We walked to the front façade of the building, but we needed to find the Visitor’s Center where our tour would meet.

WP_20160421_001.jpg

WP_20160421_002.jpg

WP_20160421_006.jpg

Dome.jpg

WP_20160421_009.jpg

WP_20160421_010.jpg

Across the street was the Supreme Court building

DSCF0675.jpg

WP_20160421_011.jpg

When we got to the Visitor’s Center, it was mass chaos. Nobody knew where we should be waiting in line. People compared the times of their tours, but didn’t know if we should be in line in order of tour time or when they arrived. Then a group all dressed in suits showed up and decided they should be in the front of all of us who were waiting because they had a “special” tour scheduled.

Finally, around 8:30 a couple of staffers came out, looked at the crowd and said.

“Hey, what happened to the sign?”

“The sign is gone again?”

And that pretty much right there could have been our lesson in US Civics.

But we were called into the visitor’s center, went through security, checked in at the desk. And waited for our tour time.

Each state is invited to donate two statues in either marble or bronze of prominent historic figures. Originally, all were housed in National Statuary Hall, but it got too crowded in there and the floor could not support the weight. Currently, some statues remain in the hall and others are dispersed throughout the Capitol building.

The boys waited on a bench while I walked around taking pictures.

DSCF0677.jpg

DSCF0678.jpg

WP_20160421_014.jpg

WP_20160421_015.jpg

When I returned to the bench I heard Nate say

“That looks like John McCain”

“That IS John McCain”

He was across the room and I tried to get a pictures, but this was the best I did at long range.

WP_20160421_016.jpg

WP_20160421_017.jpg

Shortly after that non-encounter, it was time to meet the guide for our tour.

We started out in a theater for a presentation about the building.

After the movie, we got into groups and received headsets so we could hear our guide.

Set upon the highest hill in Washington, construction on the Capitol started in 1793. In 1814, British troops set fire to the building using books from the Library of Congress for kindling. A timely rainstorm prevented the building from being destroyed. Construction of the dome did not stop during the Civil War- President Lincoln stressed the importance of continuing the work, saying, "If people see the Capitol going on, it is a sign we intend the Union shall go on."

The building is currently undergoing renovations- you could see the scaffolding in the exterior pictures I posted and in our first stop on the tour, the rotunda. The work is expected to be finished before the Presidential Inauguration in January.

The rotunda is home to some well-known artwork.

The ceiling of the dome hosts the fresco Apotheosis of George Washington. He is shown ascending to heaven attended by figures representing Liberty and Victory and the 13 original states along with War, Arts and Science, Marine Operations, Commerce, Mechanics, and Agriculture.

WP_20160421_021.jpg

WP_20160421_022.jpg

There are also 8 large paintings on the wall:

The Baptism of Pochahontas

Declaration of Independence

Discovery of the Mississippi by DeSoto

Embarkation of the Pilgrims

George Washington Resigning His Commission

Landing of Columbus

Surrender of General Burgoyne

Surrender of Lord Cornwallis

Unfortunately, due to the rehab work it was difficult to see them.

WP_20160421_023.jpg

WP_20160421_027.jpg

WP_20160421_026.jpg

Had to get a picture of Nate's political hero!

We were told that two floors below the rotunda, in the basement, is a small chamber that was designed as George Washington’s final resting place.

Who is buried in Washington’s Tomb?

Nobody! The bodies of Washington and his wife Martha are at their Mount Vernon estate in nearby Virginia in accordance with his will.

Then we entered Statuary Hall. This room served as the US House of Representatives from 1807-1857. One of the features of the room is the acoustics. From certain spots, sound carries so you can hear someone speaking in a whisper across the room.

The guide in the red is whispering something and the group in the middle is listening.

WP_20160421_037.jpg

WP_20160421_038.jpg

WP_20160421_048.jpg

WP_20160421_051.jpg

Chariot Clock, depicting Clio the Greek Muse of History

WP_20160421_056.jpg

We did not get to go into the House or Senate chambers during the tour. I’m not sure if the public is still able to go in at certain times or not. I know on a previous tour I did with Mark, we were able to see them. I may have taken a restricted photo in there, back in my rebel days.

The other thing we did in a past trip was eat in the Senate Dining room. It was a really cool experience- first, you had to go through the catacombs under the Capitol building to get to the restaurant. At the time, the prices in the dining room were reasonable. I remember overhearing a conversation between two men in suits “The indictment is coming down next week”

The Senate Dining Room is open only to those authorized by the Rules Committee, such as senators, their spouses, children and guests, staffers, Senate officers , foreign dignitaries and senators’ constituents with a letter from their senator. If there’s room, others who aren’t officially authorized can often gain admission “because we need the revenue,” according to the manager of the restaurant.

Once our tour was over, we had about an hour and a half to visit a museum before returning to our hotel, having lunch and getting to the airport.

Contest Question:

We visited a museum on the way back to our hotel. Which one? (15 points)

National Gallery of Art

US Boatanic Gardens

Air & Space Museum

US Holocaust Memorial Museum

Museum of Natural History (repeat visit?)

Museum of American History (repeat visit?)

Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden

Freer Gallery of Art (closed for refurbishment until 2017)

Museum of the American Indian

Museum of Asian Art

Museum of African Art

Museum of African American History and Culture (opening TODAY, Sept 24, I believe)

Last edited:
::yes::Contest Questions Results:

1. What was our step count for today? 18,878

2. On our final morning, we scheduled a tour of the US Capitol. The building is 15 blocks away from our hotel. How do we get there? 15 points Metro

3. As we were in the visitor’s center, waiting for our tour of the Capitol to begin, Nate spotted a Senator. Who was it? 15 Points John McCain

1. 22,300 steps

2. I'm going to say you brave souls walked those 15 blocks.

3. This is tough. I'm not sure if your hint means this year or in past years. I'm going to go with John McCain.

15 points for closest step count and 15 points for correctly guessing the senator we saw.

Nicely done!

:cheer2:

25,200 steps

you walked

John McCain

15 points for Senator McCain!

:cool1:

Walk. That's less than a mile, and I think you guys are good walkers.

Hmm... I'm going to go with the Canadian, Sen. Ted Cruz.
If I'm wrong ... can I get points for taking a class in college with Joe Lieberman's daughter (this was while he was senator)? She was nice ... I didn't really talk to her much, but when I did, she was very kind and friendly.

10 points for being second closest on step count and 5 points for sharing the story about your college classmate with a political connection.

:thumbsup2

Contest Questions:

Uber

Bernie Sanders

5 points for 3rd place step count guess.

Thanks for this list- multiple choice makes it soooo much easier to guess someone who's at least been in the running lol. So my answers are
1) 28763 steps
2) Marco Rubio
3) cab

Oh no! Tough round for you!

:(

I'll guess 26,463 steps, John McCain for the senator and you walked the 15 blocks to the US Capitol.

15 points for guessing the correct senator.

Updated Leader Board, September 24

rteetz: 195

luvpoohandcompany: 190
bookgirl: 165
SarahDisney: 150
Wood Nymph: 125
annie170: 125
afwdwfan: 50
pas130: 20

As always, let me know if I have miscalculated your total!

:teacher:

Last edited:
Replies :

They really do. Everything is lit up so nicely and they are great to see both close-up and from a distance.

Those are great quotes. Dr King had an amazing way with words. He was truly inspirational. What a tragic loss his death was.

That would be cool to see. ::yes::

Wow - that is sad. ;)

I think I was just 4 when Reverend King was killed, so I only know him from history, books and tv/movies. But I admire his messages and eloquence.

The embassies were pretty neat, but it was dark and we were going pretty fast, so we couldn't see them really well. It probably would be really interesting to walk by and peek into the different "countries"

I was mad that I forgot the battery and even madder when I discovered at the end of the night that I had it all along! I bet some of my night pictures would have come out better.

:scratchin

I love all of the monument pictures! I haven't seen most of those (I haven't been to DC in a while and really should go back sometime), so it was great to see pictures.

LOL at the crane ... I guess it's not just Disney. I wonder if people complain about that crane as much as they complain about the one at MK?

All of the monuments and memorials have their own unique charms. Have you been since the WWII memorial was built? Our 2010 trip was the first time I saw that truly impressive memorial.

DC is such a great place to visit- easy to get around (although at times exhausting), so much to see, so much history, and most things have free admission

I don't think there is a crane more hated than the MK castle crane!

:rotfl2:

Loved the virtual tour and I'd definitely have gone with the limo. Lol at how excited the boys are in the photo- gotta love how teens show all their emotions :rotfl2:Great deal- shame about the accent though. Love the quotations especially the one about light and love :)

The limo was such a great decision! And yes, the boys did not show it but they really were happy at the ride.

My favorite MLK quote is that Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.

Is it wrong that it makes me think of Harry Potter and Voldemort when I read that?

:grouphug:

Those monuments at night are just beautiful. Kind of like Disney at night! it's nice to know that there's still plenty to do during the evenings in DC.

I hate when I misplace things like you did with your camera battery.

We are usually early risers, so it takes some effort for us to be out "late" when on vacation, but we really do love the way places like Disney and DC look at night.

That was seriously annoying that I didn't find my battery until it was too late.

:sad2:

That's a pretty cool tour choice. The appeal of having a driver take you where you want to go, in the order you choose, probably made it well worth the extra cost. I've been keeping mental notes of all your tours/choices just in case I make it to D.C. soon. Seeing all your photos, I really hope I do.
I don't think I've ever seen the WWII memorial at night before....beautiful.

It was SO worth it to do the limo tour!

The first time we took the boys to Disney, they were 12 and 9. Those were great ages because the boys could appreciate the things we saw and did pretty well with all the walking. I think they both actually enjoyed the Natural History Museum more 5 years ago when they were younger, and this time the American History Museum was more interesting to them.

The WWII memorial really is beautiful at night, and I also loved seeing the Washington Monument (and US Capitol building) in one direction, and the Lincoln Memorial when we looked the other way across the Reflecting Pool.

Last edited:
Can't believe I got the senator right!

I didn't realize they were doing so much work to the capital.

I'm going to say the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.

I could not believe when you guessed McCain right away!

I thought everyone would think it was one of the Senators who were in the most recent primary race and then be mad when it turned out to be McCain.

Nicely done, you have taken the lead!

Yes, a lot of work at the Capitol right now- they are planning on being finished in time for the Presidential Inauguration in January. If I forgot to mention that, I'll add it in to my update.

Got your guess for the next update!

:thumbsup2

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter