Top 5 Funny things guest did that could have been prevented by listening to the podcast

mvbuch

Earning My Ears
As me and my family were sitting around waiting for the rain to stop, we began to discuss the high lights of are week at WDW. As we discussed all the fun things that happened. I told stories of some of the interesting people I observed during our vacation. My kids said dad you are so funny you should write a blog.

5) Hey lets upgrade to hoppers.
When waiting in line for spaceship earth, a husband came running up to his wife. He said that he just upgraded their tickets to to park hoppers. She replied why did you do that. He told her you need them to go to more than one park in a day. She then said to her two children guess what? Dad upgraded are tickets so we can go ride Harry Potter today. He said yeah you need them so you can ride Hogwart's express.

4) Disney transportation is truely magical
While riding the express monorail to the TTC , two people were talking in the other part of the cabin. The man said "I thought this train also stopped at the resorts." The lady replied "You should have listened to me and got on the other monorail and we would already be back at our resort." As they got off the monorail, they asked a cast member where is the entrance to the resort monorails were located. He said go to the end of the ramp and follow the signs. As they began walking down the ramp she told the man, "Once we get on the other monorail we will be back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge in ten minutes."

3) As your tour guide just follow me
As I was waiting for my family, outside of seven dwarfs mine train one afternoon, a huge family came walking past. Thier shirts said we're celebrating a family reunion. One of them was leading the dozen or so people. She was describing what seven dwarfs mine train was like saying that all the Disney fans said this is the ride you ride when you first get to the Magic Kingdom. The family looked up and saw that it was a 100 minute wait. A few them said that is to long to wait. The leader said do not worry since we are staying at Disney they ach had three fast passes on thier magic bands. The family cheered since they would not have wait.

The leader said, just put your magic band up to the Mickey head an we can walk to the front of the line. She put her band on the Mickey head and it turned blue. The cast member told she did not have a fast pass for this ride at this time. The girl said how do you get them, I thought you got three free pass a day. The cast member says just log onto your my Disney experience and you can book them right from your phone. She said great "I already have the app on my phone". She took out her phone and after a little while, she then asked the cast member if something is wrong since it said there were no more mine train fast passes today. The cast member says most people get them a month in advance. She replied " I wish I would have known that, Disney probably should write that somewhere, that you can get fast passes weeks before you get to the park". They all we're slightly disappointed but were still having good time. The leader girl then suggested " Lets go eat in the castle!" I wondered what sheis going to think when she hears you can book restaurant reservations 180 days before you get to Disney.

2) We have the quick service dining plan!
While waiting in line for food, a man a few people behind me told the cast member in big booming voice, "I am on the quick service dining plan." He then said, I want to have two burgers, two fries and two large cokes. The cashier said you only have one credit left, do you want to use one of your three remaining snack credits for your one coke and pay for the other meal. He said no, and asked to scan his wife's band since his must not be working. The cashier scanned her band and said it had the same credits. They asked each other what should we do. The cashier said he will just put it through and have magical day.

The couple continued to talk as that sat at a table near us. He said the hotel must have put the wrong plan on thier bands since they paid almost fifty dollars a day to to get the quick service plan. She then said the papers that came with the package said that you could get a counter service meal at any Disney quick service restaurant. He said we never had a limit on meals we could order any other day. She then said we have to go back to the hotel to get it worked out since they will not be leaving until Friday. Now this was Sunday at lunch. I was thinking how much food did these people eat that they blew through the credits with four days left.

1) It is good to be an über planner
This story was from two years ago, but I still love to tell it. While sitting in inoventions, a family came running in to get out of the rain. The mother took out of her backpack, an "unofficial" guide book and bunch of laminated cards. She gave her husband and each kids a card. She said since we have to wait, lets all vote on where we should go next. From what I could see the cards were labeled Epcot in big yellow letters and it looked like it had lists of attractions. The mother than began to read the descriptions of the various rides. The guide book had many different color tabs and looked like she was reading from the yellow tabbed section. The kids were from ages ten to sixteen by the way they looked. They talked and discussed which ride sounded the best. They all agreed on what to do and gave the mother the cards back. She then past out ponchos and off they went.

Now I know you are wondering why I think this story is funny. Well they voted to ride Body wars at the wonder's of life pavilion. This ride at the time had been closed for over eight years so they must have been using a very old guide book. You would think people that organized would have updated thier materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for this as the best post of the year!! Very funny because its true!! More than one I am in the fast pass line of the mine train behind folks who have no idea what a fast pass + is, and must be told they must to get into the 150 minute standby line. Your story about the uber planner who uses 8 year old data is the best!!

These are pretty hilarious, but man these are gonna be the people who then complain about Disney World for the rest of their lives.

When I was in Highschool I was lucky enough to have a Disney trip with my marching band, we're from Northern Ohio, and all my friends stewed the entire trip because they were expecting 'Cedar Point on steroids' (so like, fifty gillion coasters, since CP is already most other parks...on steroids). Like even an iota of research would have given them better expectations, dude.

I feel wrong for laughing (but not too much) especially at the FP+ and the Dining one -

I am just imaging their faces as the FP+ party turn up at the castle to eat and being asked if they had an ADR :laughing:

Or when the Dining Plan people got back to their hotel reception - actually probably should feel sorry for the poor CM who had to explain the situation to these people; bet they weren't happy :rotfl:

not too shocked at the last one as my inlaws are coming with us for the first time in 20 years, and they keep mentioning rides that no longer exist - I think some people think all rides are like Small World and are there forever lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been trying to explain to people for YEARS the importance of doing "research" for a WDW trip, especially since people are always sent my way, because "she's the Disney lady". I used to have a lot more current knowledge and expertise when I was lucky enough to be able to go just about every year or so. I realize that I LOVE researching activities - be it WDW or something else - and it's part of the whole trip for me, and others may not. But you have to at least have a passing idea ow what to expect when you're spending this much money. And gee - you might have an idea of what/where you'd like to eat, since you eat every day, at least once a day, no? You may not go to a certain park, or go on certain rides or shows - but - ya gotta eat, right?

Forget the fact that I haven't even been - or tried to explain - since legacy FP's were still in use, crowd levels were lower (although rising), before Magic Bands, MDE, all that; since my last trip was almost 5 years ago. I wouldn't even want to TRY and explain it now. And that was the people who had come to me for advice, to help them plan - NOT somebody traveling WITH me - that was even WORSE, since their refusal to cooperate in even the smallest amount of planning, or "preference sharing" to help me was always a struggle. Especially when I'd plan something I thought we'd both/all enjoy, with NO input, and then have them decide to NOT want to do whatever. I'd always try my best not to take it personally, or let it spoil my day/mood, and carry on. I think that would be MUCH harder now, since planning has gone from "strongly encouraged" to just about "mandatory", for any type of enjoyable experience, IMHO.

And I used to love those who'd I'd take HOURS "helping" (usually them doing little to nothing), then they'd come back and tell me "So and so's Aunt Edna, who knows Sally's mailman, who went 10 years ago, says what you said isn't true" (or whatever) blah, blah. Used to tighten my jaw muscles every single time.

I think if I ever do get back, it would be better for my sanity if my trip were solo. :jester:

Last edited:
I have been trying to explain to people for YEARS the importance of doing "research" for a WDW trip, especially since people are always sent my way, because "she's the Disney lady". I used to have a lot more current knowledge and expertise when I was lucky enough to be able to go just about every year or so. I realize that I LOVE researching activities - be it WDW or something else - and it's part of the whole trip for me, and others may not. But you have to at least have a passing idea ow what to expect when you're spending this much money. And gee - you might have an idea of what/where you'd like to eat, since you eat every day, at least once a day, no? You may not go to a certain park, or go on certain rides or shows - but - ya gotta eat, right?

Forget the fact that I haven't even been - or tried to explain - since legacy FP's were still in use, crowd levels were lower (although rising), before Magic Bands, MDE, all that; since my last trip was almost 5 years ago. I wouldn't even want to TRY and explain it now. And that was the people who had come to me for advice, to help them plan - NOT somebody traveling WITH me - that was even WORSE, since their refusal to cooperate in even the smallest amount of planning, or "preference sharing" to help me was always a struggle. Especially when I'd plan something I thought we'd both/all enjoy, with NO input, and then have them decide to NOT want to do whatever. I'd always try my best not to take it personally, or let it spoil my day/mood, and carry on. I think that would be MUCH harder now, since planning has gone from "strongly encouraged" to just about "mandatory", for any type of enjoyable experience, IMHO.

And I used to love those who'd I'd take HOURS "helping" (usually them doing little to nothing), then they'd come back and tell me "So and so's Aunt Edna, who knows Sally's mailman, who went 10 years ago, says what you said isn't true" (or whatever) blah, blah. Used to tighten my jaw muscles every single time.

I think if I ever do get back, it would be better for my sanity if my trip were solo. :jester:

I could have written this post...everything is so true! I'd never again try to advise anyone since I've not been to the parks in 5 years...hate the magic bands, FP+ etc. I'm surrounded by people who want to "wing it" at WDW. Sigh...A little research can save a lot of aggravation.

I have had a few interactions with people who insist they know what is best and how things will work at WDW and ignore everything I tell them

One family, the wife asked me for some tips and advice, but the husband wanted nothing to do with it - he wants his vacations to be relaxing and not have any planning etc. - so didn't want to make any FP or ADRs and insisted they would just decide what they wanted to eat when they got hungry and go to the restaurant then and eat then and there. I informed him it doesn't really work that way and most places will be full and he insisted he would just slip the host/hostess a $20 and they would get in as this is what he does everywhere else.

needless to say they did not have a great trip - largely because they wound up eating at 10pm or later every night because *gasp* they were in fact not able to get in anywhere they wanted when they wanted

She then said to her two children guess what? Dad upgraded are tickets so we can go ride Harry Potter today. He said yeah you need them so you can ride Hogwart's express.

This makes me really sad for those kids.

Whenever people ask me for WDW(or now DL) tips, I tell them I'll only give them help if they really want it, because a while back I started getting so frustrated when I'd spend an hour helping people chart out their trip and then they'd go and spend their advance FP's on Mickey's Philharmagic, Tom Sawyer Island, and Push the Talking Trash Can.

That's when I realized maybe I was taking it TOO seriously.

Whenever people ask me for WDW(or now DL) tips, I tell them I'll only give them help if they really want it, because a while back I started getting so frustrated when I'd spend an hour helping people chart out their trip and then they'd go and spend their advance FP's on Mickey's Philharmagic, Tom Sawyer Island, and Push the Talking Trash Can.

That's when I realized maybe I was taking it TOO seriously.

I always ask them "how much" help they want. Are we talking just a few key thoughts or color coded spreadsheets?

We were at the gate of BoG waiting to be called for our reservation. A guest walked up to the CM and asked about having dinner and was told she needed reservations. She asked when the next opening was and was dumbfounded when the CM told her it would be 6 months from now.

All of us eat, sleep, and breathe this stuff but the reality is that we represent a tiny sliver of the guest population. The vast majority of the traveling public doesn't even have the slightest hint of a clue about how this all works.

I love the know it all guests that get it wrong. I remember riding Haunted Mansion and this guy kept on insisting the floor was going down, that we were really in an elevator. I happened to mention that it was like that in Disneyland, not DisneyWorld. Of course he insisted I was wrong and that he could feel the elevator go down.

I wonder what he would have been like if he got on those "elevators" in the Living Seas before they converted to the Sea with Nemo. I bet he would be freaked out.

I would never offer unsolicited advice. In my case, the ones that helped the least also asked for the most. And usually it was just "Plan my trip", or "Tell me about WDW". And those that came WITH me, offered no input, and then tried to change things on the spot, when we were already there? - said "I"ll do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it, plan everything for us." Or just piggybacked on my already-made trips/plans, when I just increased ADR's, etc. But that's just in my case, of course I can't speak for anybody else.

Phil - Your "We'll just show up whenever, and eat wherever" sounds SO strangely, sadly familiar to me. As do the consequences of having that attitude, especially at WDW. ;)

Last edited:
I love the know it all guests that get it wrong. I remember riding Haunted Mansion and this guy kept on insisting the floor was going down, that we were really in an elevator. I happened to mention that it was like that in Disneyland, not DisneyWorld. Of course he insisted I was wrong and that he could feel the elevator go down.

I wonder what he would have been like if he got on those "elevators" in the Living Seas before they converted to the Sea with Nemo. I bet he would be freaked out.
I MISS the Hydrolators! :)

One family, the wife asked me for some tips and advice, but the husband wanted nothing to do with it - he wants his vacations to be relaxing and not have any planning etc. - so didn't want to make any FP or ADRs and insisted they would just decide what they wanted to eat when they got hungry and go to the restaurant then and eat then and there.
This is pretty much how we do our Disney trips. We might book a couple of "must do" FPs in advance but we don't plan out every day. Last trip, we had FPs for Flight of Passage and Rivers of Light and that was it. And we virtually never make ADRs. But we know our way around well enough for that to work for us. I'd never suggest first timers go in that manner.

side note - there are a few threads that have been posted over the years that cover this topic if you want to read some other funny stories

here is one specifically about Clueless Guest comments (actually, DisneySteve started it):
https://www.disboards.com/threads/clueless-guest-comments-at-wdw.678191/

and here is a (relatively long) thread that covers stories more general funny things overheard at WDW - if anyone has a few hours (days) to kill

https://www.disboards.com/threads/funniest-comments-youve-overheard-in-wdw.693927/

This is pretty much how we do our Disney trips. We might book a couple of "must do" FPs in advance but we don't plan out every day. Last trip, we had FPs for Flight of Passage and Rivers of Light and that was it. And we virtually never make ADRs. But we know our way around well enough for that to work for us. I'd never suggest first timers go in that manner.

and it is all about expectations - WDW can be done a ton of ways, including how I know you like to do your trips - but you aren't going in thinking you will be able to eat at any table service location you want at any time with no ADRs

We hear this stuff every trip. People not knowing they need an adr for popular places, FP to cut down wait times etc. When dropping the amount of money it takes to go to the world you would think people might take a few minutes to research the way things work (or don't work).
My closest friend said that he and his wife would like to plan a trip to WDW with us. After a few conversations about basic things, like resorts, parks, FP, dining my husband and I decided it was best to travel separately. Our friends were adamant that they could walk up to any restaurant and get a seat and that there was no need for any FP. They had no real desire to at least read about how WDW works.

We hear this stuff every trip. People not knowing they need an adr for popular places, FP to cut down wait times etc. When dropping the amount of money it takes to go to the world you would think people might take a few minutes to research the way things work (or don't work).
My closest friend said that he and his wife would like to plan a trip to WDW with us. After a few conversations about basic things, like resorts, parks, FP, dining my husband and I decided it was best to travel separately. Our friends were adamant that they could walk up to any restaurant and get a seat and that there was no need for any FP. They had no real desire to at least read about how WDW works.

that is the part that always gets me - like when you hear people have no idea until they get there that there are 4 theme parks and it isn't just the Magic Kingdom ... I mean, a Disney trip is like thousands of dollars, I can't imagine dropping that much at not knowing at least the basics

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter