• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Hightower Halloween Costume!

Just like everyone else, I'm eagerly awaiting more of your TR. Sounds great so far. I too want to visit TDL someday, just not sure if I will get there.

The first day is never that exciting, yet somehow we managed to take 40 pictures of it!

SFO
DSC00514.jpg

We flew out of San Francisco because Swazzle had been up in the Bay Area for 2 weeks shooting another project during the day and building puppets for the Tokyo job at night. The previous day Patrick had stayed up all night finishing those puppets so they could be shipped ahead for their flight to Tokyo from LA, and then he went off to finish shooting his scenes on the other project—which meant he stayed awake for about 42 hours straight. Needless to say, he had no trouble sleeping on the plane!

Because all the travel arrangements were being made by the ad firm’s travel agent, we didn’t find out when we were leaving, what airline we were flying or where we were staying until about a week before we left. The answers turned out to be: Tuesday at 1:25pm, JAL, and the Akasaka Excel Tokyu Hotel.

The puppeteers all got to fly in swanky Business Class with lay-flat pod beds and free slippers, but Patrick gave up his seat to fly with me in Economy—I knew I’d married the right guy! Besides, as it turned out, all the Japanese hotels ended up giving us enough free slippers to choke a horse. (Although, really, just one free slipper would prolly be enough to choke a horse…)

Now I don’t know how JAL rates among frequent fliers to Asia, but as someone who’s been subjected to United Airlines’ service from LA to Orlando a few too many times, I found it pretty dang good.

“Japan Airlines: We’re pretty dang good!”
DSC00515.jpg

The plane seemed fairly new, with on-demand TV at every seat and cool drop-down overhead bins for every three seats, so you never had to fight with anyone to fit all your junk in. The seat pitch was respectable – not great when the person in front of you leaned his seat back, but it felt an inch or two deeper than on domestic US flights. It was also very exciting to become instantly immersed in Japanese – the announcements were made in Japanese first, then sometimes Chinese, and then English. It helped us get used to smiling and nodding and pretending we knew what was going on.

Oh my gosh oh my gosh! We’re really going to Japan!
DSC00516.jpg

The 11-hour flight was uneventful except for being seated behind one of only two kids on the entire plane, who had struck up a friendship in the boarding area and spent most of the trip together, screaming. Then, when they were separated, they would scream some more until they were reunited.

The flight started with dinner, which was some kind of chicken on noodles:

DSC00517.jpg

Voila!
DSC00518.jpg

Then they dimmed the lights so we could pretend it was night. I hadn’t had any time to read guidebooks before we left, so I crammed for most of the flight, did a Japanese lesson on my iPod, and still had time to glaze over during “Whip It” on my seatback TV.

At one point, Patrick discovered that it wasn’t really night when he opened our snoozing seatmate’s window shade and saw this…

Holy crap, it’s Alaska!
DSC00524.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

I can see Russia from here!
DSC00519.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

I only dozed for about 30 minutes after dinner/lunch/whatever, but I ended up feeling OK. About two hours before we landed they turned the lights up and fed us salmon on noodles, which I think was s’posed to be breakfast.

DSC00525.jpg

After we landed, we went through Passport/Immigration control with no trouble, got our bags easily, and then skipped through customs.

DSC00527.jpg

Narita Airport Terminal 2
DSC00526.jpg

I asked Patrick to take lots of pix of everything for PassPorter’s forthcoming guide to Tokyo Disney….

DSC00529.jpg

I think this was Customs
DSC00530.jpg

This is the counter for the Airport Limousine, which is not a limousine at all—it’s a bus! It’s prolly the way we would have gotten into Tokyo from Narita if we hadn’t been met by a rep from the ad firm. For reference, it’s ¥30/person one-way and they only take cash.

DSC00532.jpg

And here’s where you can buy train tickets…
DSC00534.jpg

Thank goodness we didn’t have to figure THIS thing out!
DSC00536.jpg

We’d been told to look for a guy with a sign that said “Rock ‘n’ Roll Tokyo” – how awesome is that? Sure enough, a rep from the production company, Hiro, was there to meet us and get us to the hotel. The trip took about 45 minutes, and Hiro must’ve thought we were delirious as we oooohed and aaaahhhhed over every bunker-like building and road sign and vehicle we saw on the way into town. Of course the biggest “oooooh!” came when we whizzed by Space Mountain. Then Patrick asked, “What’s that building all outlined in white lights?” and I said, “I dunno – I think it might be a Ramada or something…?” It later turned out to be the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel – whoops!

When we got to the Akasaka Excel Tokyu Hotel, which turned out to be right across the street from a subway station, Hiro helped us check in—a godsend when you’re tired and disoriented and have spent most of your two weeks of Japanese language study learning how to ask for two beers…

DSC00548.jpg

The lobby’s on the third floor
DSC00550.jpg

DSC00551.jpg

Pay attention to this sign. I didn’t, and it later turned out to be a huge, wonderful surprise
DSC00537.jpg

Our hotel room was much nicer than I expected – it had been recently redecorated and didn’t have the IKEA feel I saw in older pictures on TripAdvisor. It was also a decent size—not huge, but you could actually walk around the bed. It turned out to be the biggest non-Disney room we had.

DSC00539.jpg

My favorite part was the corner window into the bathroom cuz it made the place feel bigger. Although it was a trick figuring out which way to dial the blinds so your spouse couldn’t see in!

DSC00542.jpg

The view wasn’t half bad either.

DSC00543.jpg

Patrick loved the soaking tub and shower…

DSC00541.jpg

…But most of all, he loved the complicated toilet!

DSC00540.jpg

This thing had enough buttons to launch a missle attack… on your bottom! There’s a button for a spray of water, and one for a stream, one to make the seat hot enough to fry an egg and then an automatic function that runs the water to cover up embarrassing noises. On that first night we had each other in stitches as we tried out all the various functions and shrieked in surprise at what we got.

Other cool features of this hotel: It has a 7-Eleven on the first floor, which means an ATM that accepts US ATM cards and a cheap meal are always close by; it is adjacent to a small shopping complex with restaurants and stores and even a post office; the subway station across the street connects you to the central Marunouchi and Ginza lines; and there is a street running behind the subway station that is jam-packed with restaurants and clubs.

I never thought I’d be so glad to see a 7 Eleven!
DSC00549.jpg

McDonald’s… not so much….
DSC00547.jpg

After we’d dropped our stuff in the room, we wandered down this veritable restaurant row trying to decide where to eat.

DSC00544.jpg

We almost randomly picked a traditional sushi place and got what we think we wanted through a combination of my pigeon Japanese and lots of hand gestures. Oh, and the picture menu, kindly handed to us by a German couple. We felt very cosmopolitan sitting there eating sushi for dinner in Tokyo after starting the day with breakfast in San Leandro, CA. …Never mind that it was the next day!

DSC00545.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

Dinner was good! The only drawback was the haze of cigarette smoke filling the place. After dinner, Patrick had a 9pm costume fitting for the ad (!), but before he left we had time to pick up our first weird Japanese dessert at 7 Eleven.

DSC00552.jpg

It was blue flavor!
DSC00553.jpg

He was out til about 11pm, so I stayed in and web surfed with our free Internet access, trying to get my head around the fact that we were ACTUALLY IN JAPAN!

Up next: My first solo day in Tokyo!

oooo i can't wait for this!

Me either! Oh wait - I gotta write the dang thing first...

OMG, I just learned a new Internet slang! LOL!

This is me living vicariously. Your report will be the closest I ever get to Tokyo Disney. Maybe EuroDisney one day. One long in the future day.

I really hope you can make it out there!

Subbing. Can't wai to hear more. Some day I hope to vist.

Yes! They just need to move it a little closer to the US!

joining in

Thanks!

Subbing!! Can't wait to read more!!!

Glad to have you along!

Sounds good so far. I'm going in a few days myself so I hope you post more before I depart.

I'll try! Although I think I exhausted all my useful info in the second post, so all you'll miss is my rambling and 85 bazillion shots of cherry blossoms...

VERY cool! I am so excited to hear all about it! We are really looking at Tokyo in another year, so reading your TR will definitely be a great incentive!!

Oh cool! I hope it helps!

SO excited for this trip report! I love learning about different cultures so this one should be a great one!

Great to have you onboard!

Great report so far...can't wait to read more!

Thanks for reading along!

Joining in!

Thanks!

I am so excited for this TR! Tokyo Disney is on the top of our to-do list after our WDW honeymoon later this year.

Thanks for the great info/tips - I'm definitely bookmarking this for when we really get down to planning.

Oh good - I hope it's helpful to you!

Oh yeah! Subscribing right away! Don't want to miss a second!

Hi there!

we are in japan right now. landed and stayed in tokyo for 3 days, in kyoto now for 5 days. then back to tokyo for a couple of more days and then to miracosta for 4 days.
just wondering if you were able to take pics with characters?

Oh boy, it sounds like you're having fun. We had many opportunities to take pix with characters, but we aren't very big character fans, so we only have a few shots. But I think you'll do fine!

Looking forward to this Trip Report.

Thanks!

I can't wait to hear all about your trip! Not sure if I'll ever make it there in real life so for nowthe Lurkyloos' trip will have to do!

Bring it on!

Oh, I do hope you get to go!

Mushi Mushi! I'm so excited you have started your TR! My favorite Japanized English phrase is " Cupo Cohee?" Oh, and I followed the Cat Cafe link - that is just weird!

Yeah, I'm starting to think I'm the only one who doesn't think it's weird - even Patrick was like ... "That was kinda weird!" after we went!

Great start to your TR, I like how you explain the things that would have freaked me out wondering about. I loved your Twitter updates when you were gone. I can't wait to read more.

Thanks for following along!

:banana: to you too!

I'm in for this one! I've been wanting to go to Tokyo for a long time, and hopefully we will make it in the next couple of years! I'm especially looking forward to your Studio Ghibli tour as one of my favourite movies is Laputa: Castle in the Sky and I'd love to take a photo with the robot! I looked into going a couple of years back when we started thinking about Tokyo seriously and we saw it was unnecessarily difficult to go - I want to go to the museum, I'm thinking they want me to go to the museum - what's the problem?!

Exactly! I mean, I guess it's good b/c it limits the number of people there every day, but, frankly, it's not a low enough limit. The crowd in the Ghibli gift shop turned out to be the worst one of our entire trip. Pushing, shoving, grabbing any piece of merchandise you could get your hands on cuz you couldn't see the displays for the people... it was crazy-go-nuts!

Japan is high on my lists of countries I want to visit, so I am really looking forward to this!! Thanks for the detailed first post about how to travel to Japan! I guess I ought to try to start learning Japanese!

Glad you liked it! I'll bet you like learning Japanese too. I never thought I'd be able to pick up a non-Romance language, so I felt sooooo cool being able to make such urbane statements as "The car is green"!

Carrie, I'm so glad to see you started this TR. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Thanks for joining in!

getting on board - great reading so far!!

i grew up going back and forth to japan with my family (first time there was in 1968.....multiple times after that, for extended stays)..

anyway, being a little non-japanese kid in japan back in 1968, when there were almost none to speak of was quite an experience....a good one actually, despite all you've probably heard and read about japanese views of non-japanese (at least back then if not today)...

anyway, enough of that..
my first visit to tokyo disneyland was back in 1984 (i think the year it opened)...
i was pregnant with DD at the time, which may explain her drive to visit there last year.....

unfortunately, i've yet to see disneysea...i haven't been back to japan for many years despite my love of the country....(my relatively recent fear of flying having got in the way of many of my travel plans)..

Oh wow - what an interesting upbringing that must've been! I did read a little bit in the English-language paper about the difficulties of being a non-Japanese child growing up in Japan, so I'm glad to hear you had a good experience. I hope you get to see Tokyo DisneySea!

:cool1:I was really looking forward to this TR starting. It's already off to an interesting start. If I was going to Tokoyo disney I would not know where to start, so I am hanging on every word (in case I ever get a chance to go - LOL!)

Even better - I will have this TR to read before I get ready to leave for Disney in a few weeks. It will definately keep me occupied!

Ooh! Congrats on the upcoming trip! I will attempt to keep you fully occupied between now and then...

Welcome home, Carrie and Patrick! Looking forward to another great Lurkyloo trip report!

Debbie

Thanks so much!

I was following you on Twitter, but I can't wait to read about all of your adventures!

Hey, thanks for following on Twitter!

Can't wait to read more Carrie, we might be going in 2012 so it'll be great to find out some info.

Ooh! I hope you get to go! I'll try to include lots of details (OK, well, even more than usual...)

Bravo!

I can't wait to read all about it!

Thank you for the time it takes to do these. We enjoy them so much!

Well thank you! It does take me a long time, but I think it's cuz I have zero ability to edit the pictures down to a reasonable number.... :rotfl:

Getting on board! I can't wait to hear all about it!

In other news. . . I finally got a chance to open up my Spring 2010 issue of D23 (A little late, I know! But that's what happens when you have an adorable 6 month old boy giggling at home!) and who did I spy? Lurkyloo! I am sure you mentioned it somewhere- but I was so excited to see you in the pic from the D23 expo! :thumbsup2

:lmao: That's so funny! I never read my D23 magazines - I only read that one b/c someone told me I was in it!

Hi Carrie,

I just quickly wanted to come out of lurkdom to say I have read your wedding report and loved it, then stumbled onto your Christmas trip report and followed from there to here. I am excited to hear about Tokyo Disneyland!

Welcome out of lurkdom! :wave2:

YAY! So looking forward to this! My hubby would love to go to Japan some day..but the only way it would happen would be if we went to Tokyo disneyland and Disneysea!!! ;) AND if i could be knocked out for the flight!
Great start ...and I love the puppets Patrick's company makes!! YAY for the Pee-Wee Herman show gig..that is great

Thanks! Now I don't know much about it, but I hear the secret to getting people like you on a flight is BOOZE, and plenty of it! :rotfl2:

Wow! Two Lurkyloo trip reports at once. How cool!

Totally cool! I just wish someone else would write the other one... :teeth:

Following along! I can't wait to see what Tokyo Disney is like--especially with your narrative!

Thanks for joining in!

Just like everyone else, I'm eagerly awaiting more of your TR. Sounds great so far. I too want to visit TDL someday, just not sure if I will get there.

I hope you are able to! I wish everyone could see it!

/me taps foot constantly....

:rotfl:

Ack! It's late, I'm tired, and I'm paranoid that y'all will miss my update b/c it's on the previous page!...

So... back to page 3! :rotfl:

Ack! It's late, I'm tired, and I'm paranoid that y'all will miss my update b/c it's on the previous page!...

So... back to page 3! :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

The plane sounds lovely, what a sweetie Patrick is giving us his posh seat. The hotel room looks really nice but I find the bathroom window into the bedroom a bit odd!

So far everything is amazing! The plane ride didn't look too bad. Although I would need some sort of drug to knock me out for at least 6 hours of it or I would have gone nuts! The toilet is interesting! My husband is an engineer and I am sure we would have spent on hour playing with it. Then he would probably want one for the house. Not much of a Sushi fan. I have a problem with texture. But it looked yummy!

Great update! How long was the flight? Looks like you both handled it well. I'm not so sure about salmon noodles for breakfast though. :scared:

Your hotel looks gorgeous!! I am :lmao: over the missle launching toilet!

Can't wait for more! popcorn::

Yes JAL is a NICE airline, especially compared back to back with American Airlines, where the flight attendants were yelling at people :scared:

I was afraid to play "missile command" on the toilet when I was in japan, lol

Sushi looks awesome...and how was that Hershey bar? good?

Great TR so far! :thumbsup2

:yay:Yay an update!
Plane sounds nice. Hotel looked good. My friend is a plumber and he was handed one of those fancy toilets at the end of an expo. It was hilarious trying to figure it out after he hooked it up in his house.:rotfl2:
7-11 Japanese slurpees?:idea:
Can't wait for more. :thumbsup2

The plane sounds lovely, what a sweetie Patrick is giving us his posh seat. The hotel room looks really nice but I find the bathroom window into the bedroom a bit odd!

Yeah, the blinds needed to be a little less see-through. :lmao: However, when you're doing non-naked things in the bathroom, it's nice to have the "borrowed" view out the windows in the main room!

So far everything is amazing! The plane ride didn't look too bad. Although I would need some sort of drug to knock me out for at least 6 hours of it or I would have gone nuts! The toilet is interesting! My husband is an engineer and I am sure we would have spent on hour playing with it. Then he would probably want one for the house. Not much of a Sushi fan. I have a problem with texture. But it looked yummy!

I could see that! In fact, I think most of my food aversions have more to do with texture than taste. Oh, and I'll bet your husband *would* end up wanting a bidet toilet for the house - Patrick sure does! :lmao:

Great update! How long was the flight?

Oh yeah! I forgot to put that in - it was 11ish hours going out and 9ish hours coming back. :thumbsup2

Yes JAL is a NICE airline, especially compared back to back with American Airlines, where the flight attendants were yelling at people :scared:

I was afraid to play "missile command" on the toilet when I was in japan, lol

Sushi looks awesome...and how was that Hershey bar? good?

Kinda... dusty and bland. The cookies sorta dissolved into dust in your mouth - maybe this is considered a delicacy in Japan!

:yay:Yay an update!
Plane sounds nice. Hotel looked good. My friend is a plumber and he was handed one of those fancy toilets at the end of an expo. It was hilarious trying to figure it out after he hooked it up in his house.:rotfl2:
7-11 Japanese slurpees?:idea:
Can't wait for more. :thumbsup2

I love that the plumbing expo was passing out free toilets like candy! :rotfl2:

Hiya! :cool1:

Subscribing! You've helped me so much in planning my wedding (I not only incessantly stalk you on the wedding boards, but bought the book too!)- now you can help me plan my future trip to Tokyo (FYI - this is in fact an imaginary trip that at this point only exists in the far reaches of my brain).

Can't wait to read about your experiences - love the pics and the amazing level of detail you put into your TRs!

Yea, can't wait to read along :woohoo:

Thank you so much for the detailed travel information. Hopefully I'll be able to use it next year :goodvibes And I am soooo happy PassPorter is coming out with a Tokyo guide because lord knows the Internet is pretty dry when it comes to TDL info!

Great post!! It is so fun to get the sense of a place through the writing and photos of other people! That airport looks huge! The hotel nice! Sushi, great! The blue swirly icecream... well....not so much. :laughing: Looking forward to more about Japan!

Thanks for sharing!!! :goodvibes

Thats so cool that they have a 7-eleven in the hotel. When the boss went undercover for the company he said they had some oversees but I never really thought they did.

When Pete from the Podcast went to Oz he had the same thing in one hotel - bit strange but I guess you get more light into an inside room :confused3

So Carrie, did you feel really tall there? I always imagine that Japanese people are quite short in general. Did you find them very polite too? I know you can't generalise whole population but you can get a feel for trends :goodvibes

Loving the report, I would so love to go but do you think I would be limited to what I could eat as I don't eat fish or seafood? I would hate to get there and have to eat McDonalds 3 times a day :crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter