To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I was thinking about this today. Between May 2018 and February 2019 I was running sporadically. Recently when I get to a part of my workout that I'm doing 5k pace I've found that I need to "tell" my body to go faster. Breathing is fine and no physical fatigue or pains. I'm making sure I keep good form and don't over stride. The workout was challenging today but right now I don't feel like a lifeless blob, which makes me wonder about this theory. I don't remember needing to do this in the past, when I maintained my running

I also think back to when I did the Girls on the Run 5k as a Run Buddy in December. I was barely running back then but my cardiovascular fitness was decent. We did walk/run but my girl ran fast in the beginning and I felt like I was sprinting to keep up. I made sure I maintained good form while I was running and it did not feel impossible. It actually felt... fun(?)

So to clarify:

-when running sporadically, you didn't have to "tell" your body to run faster and just "did". But you used to feel like a lifeless blob. But it also felt "fun".
-now, you have to "tell" yourself to speed up and things feel more challenging.

Is that right?

I gave not enough details but too many thoughts.

Going back 2 years before I tore my meniscus, I was doing run/walk on a regular basis. During my run segment I was running faster than the 5k pace on my current plan and did not need to think about my pace, I just did it. If the run was 1.5 hours or longer it took a lot out of me for the rest of the day (lifeless blob). I know there were probably other variables contributing to this: inappropriate pacing & interval length (runs always felt difficult), and weather conditions are some.

I should have said I was running sporadically during the 18 months prior to February 2019 . The vast majority of these runs were less than 2 miles, with the exception of brief training for Dark Side 2018. In the past 18 months I did not run fast nor did I try. I know being 2 years older probably is a factor. I'll admit also that my leg strength is not what is was before my surgery, not just in the leg of the injured knee, but also the other leg. (so maybe I should not have said that I have "appropriate" muscular fitness).

So 2 years ago I could do a run interval at a faster pace than my current 5k interval pace and did not need to think about the pace. Now, I need to think about it and I have noticed that the segments during which I was not thinking about it my pace was slower than desired. When I'm telling my body to go faster I usually just focus on increasing cadence while maintaining form and breathing pattern and then I'm able to go faster.

When I say that yesterday's run was "challenging" what I mean is it was more exertion than I'm used to but not so much that it feels unsafe/unachievable. But afterwards I was able to carry on with my day and do other things. (challenging=uncomfortable exertion in that moment, yet achievable).

I think the GOTR race in December was probably a slightly different situation. I had a Rabbit and when I had to speed up to catch her it felt easy. I focused on my form and was surprised that I was able to briefly run at a pace that I would not have otherwise attempted. I guess I just need a rabbit?

Thanks!

I know this still sounds confusing. Two years ago I didn't think about going fast, I just did it. But maybe I exploited this and instead of being challenging, the workouts were more intense and more difficult, thus wiping me out for the day.

I gave not enough details but too many thoughts.

Going back 2 years before I tore my meniscus, I was doing run/walk on a regular basis. During my run segment I was running faster than the 5k pace on my current plan and did not need to think about my pace, I just did it. If the run was 1.5 hours or longer it took a lot out of me for the rest of the day (lifeless blob). I know there were probably other variables contributing to this: inappropriate pacing & interval length (runs always felt difficult), and weather conditions are some.

I should have said I was running sporadically during the 18 months prior to February 2019 . The vast majority of these runs were less than 2 miles, with the exception of brief training for Dark Side 2018. In the past 18 months I did not run fast nor did I try. I know being 2 years older probably is a factor. I'll admit also that my leg strength is not what is was before my surgery, not just in the leg of the injured knee, but also the other leg. (so maybe I should not have said that I have "appropriate" muscular fitness).

So 2 years ago I could do a run interval at a faster pace than my current 5k interval pace and did not need to think about the pace. Now, I need to think about it and I have noticed that the segments during which I was not thinking about it my pace was slower than desired. When I'm telling my body to go faster I usually just focus on increasing cadence while maintaining form and breathing pattern and then I'm able to go faster.

When I say that yesterday's run was "challenging" what I mean is it was more exertion than I'm used to but not so much that it feels unsafe/unachievable. But afterwards I was able to carry on with my day and do other things. (challenging=uncomfortable exertion in that moment, yet achievable).

I think the GOTR race in December was probably a slightly different situation. I had a Rabbit and when I had to speed up to catch her it felt easy. I focused on my form and was surprised that I was able to briefly run at a pace that I would not have otherwise attempted. I guess I just need a rabbit?

Thanks!

I know this still sounds confusing. Two years ago I didn't think about going fast, I just did it. But maybe I exploited this and instead of being challenging, the workouts were more intense and more difficult, thus wiping me out for the day.

So what it sounds like you're describing to me is that it was easier back in the day to "just run" and not have to think about it as much. But that when you did this, the runs left you feeling more fatigued throughout the day.

These days with specific goals on pace, means you have to be more focused to actually hit pace goals. And if you don't focus during the run on those pace goals, then you find yourself not hitting the goal pace. But with appropriate pacing, you're not as sore the rest of the day.

So it would seem there are two different things at play:

1) You're likely less sore because the runs are more appropriate now. Rather than a laissez faire style where you just do whatever, you have something a bit more systematic. The systematic design has reduced the fatigue because the plan is more focused and balanced.

2) But with that more systematic design the runs during can be more mentally fatiguing since you no longer can zone out as the goal is to hit specific pace goals. So you need to focus mentally to remind yourself to go faster or hit a pace.

So #1 is clearly a good thing. We want the plan to be more focused and balanced. Having a medium level fatigue constantly rather than a super high and super low level of fatigue oscillating.

#2 is something that over time will fade. I know from personal experience that I couldn't blindly pace myself to save my life. After years of hitting pace goals, and learning what certain efforts felt like, I can now mostly go out the door, say what pace I want to hit, and then just do it. Like this past weekend with a pace goal of 6:57. I barely had to look at my watch at all because I "know" what that pace and effort feels like. So I now just go out and "do" it, which frees up my mind mentally. I obviously have to give more effort and tell myself to go faster, but now I can just lock on and hold it without much additional thought. So the need for mental effort removal will take time, sometimes weeks, months, years, decades, or never at all.

As for the rabbit, competition and group runs are a way of achieving cognitive dissonance. When you're running by yourself, it's all about you. Your pace. Your effort. Your thoughts. In a race, group run, or chasing someone else, it's not all about you anymore. Now the focus is partially shifted away from you to the other person(s). So that removal of feedback from your mind can sometimes be freeing because it's not as mentally fatiguing to think about the pace as much, because you aren't thinking about the pace. This can be good and bad. That feedback sometimes tells us warning signs when a pace is inappropriate. Leading to going out too fast because the group did, and then suffering at the end when you didn't heed warnings. But conversely it can also be beneficial, because maybe getting out of one's own mind allowing them to focus on other aspects allows them to run faster than they "think" they could.

Does that sound about right to what you're experiencing?

Well, it's time for that nostalgic health post. It was around this time 7 years ago that I decided to make a change for a healthier life. Dropping my weight from a peak of 255 down to a low of 155, although I'm around 173 right now. And in doing so, my different health parameters also went through some changes. I had my annual health assessment at work where they give us $150 for a few blood/body measurements.

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 10.30.07 AM.png

Cholesterol is higher than usual (180), but still in a normal range.

HDL (good cholesterol) is still super high (74), but not as high as last year. Anything over 60 is ideal. I think that increase of HDL coincides with me eating eggs for breakfast (starting between 2015 and 2016).

The ratio of the two is still in the ideal range at 2.4 (less than 3.5 is ideal).

LDL (bad cholesterol) was so low this time around it was below the lower limit of detection. LOL! I should have asked what the LLD was.

Triglycerides were also super low at less than 45.

Waist is the same (33) since 2017.

Weight is a touch higher, as is my BMI.

Glucose was a touch higher, but still normal.

Blood pressure was higher than usual, but still not a concern.

And my pulse was the lowest on record at 44. Think about how my pulse used to be in the 80s (or even 108 one time), and now my resting HR is usually in the 50-60s (or 44 this time). That says more about this whole endurance journey than most any other stat listed.

Great numbers! easy way to get $150! I think you should get a bonus for low TG and low LDL. :cool1: I would also be curious about LDL LLD. Maybe you're one of those people with a genetic mutation that keeps their LDL low :idea: (probably not, their LDL is usually around 10).

These days with specific goals on pace, means you have to be more focused to actually hit pace goals. And if you don't focus during the run on those pace goals, then you find yourself not hitting the goal pace.
This makes a lot of sense. In the past I had 2 speeds: walk and run. Now I have multiple run paces. It's good to know that this need for mental focus will fade with practice!

Great numbers! easy way to get $150! I think you should get a bonus for low TG and low LDL. :cool1: I would also be curious about LDL LLD. Maybe you're one of those people with a genetic mutation that keeps their LDL low :idea: (probably not, their LDL is usually around 10).

Thanks! I'd say probably not on the LDL mutation since I do have recent past values in the 50-60 range.

This makes a lot of sense. In the past I had 2 speeds: walk and run. Now I have multiple run paces. It's good to know that this need for mental focus will fade with practice!

:thumbsup2

Happy Birrhday!!!!!:bday::dogdance::car:

Happy Birthday - on to bigger and better things! :cake::car:

Thanks!

Also here's a meta-analysis to reinforce what you already know:
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2019/03/29/bjsports-2018-100278

That's a first for me. A meta-analysis of meta-analyses. Wonder if that should be called a mega-analysis or something. :scratchin

It's a very good summary for those interested in determining whether caffeine will improve their performance in aerobic exercises (answer is likely yes). I think what I got from the paper is:

-take caffeine as bolus single dose about 60 min prior to exercise.
-does should be about 3-6 mg /kg body weight (so me being 79kg would be a range of 237 to 474 mg). *ALTHOUGH the recommended max is around 400mg on daily consumption of caffeine.
-whether you are a current caffeine user may or may not influence your performance boosting on race day. But nothing seems to suggest removing caffeine from a normal user for a few days and then reintroducing it hurts their performance. So you may get a neutral or positive response, but unlikely a negative response.
-most of the research was conducted using caffeine powder. Not gels, bars or gum.

While I did end up purchasing Tailwind (and am thus far happy with my purchase) there is a new contender in the ring. SIS Beta Fuel.

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 11.54.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 11.54.19 AM.png

It's most similar to Maurten 320. The advantage is SIS Beta is 2:1 maltodrextin to fructose (shown thus far to be the highest carb uptake ratio), although Maurten's use of hydrogel tech allows it to be a different ratio with a similar uptake based on my understanding. But unlike Maurten which contains no potassium, calcium, or magnesium, SIS Beta has them all. The amount of sodium is lower. Still super expensive though on a per oz basis (19 and 20 cents vs Tailwind at 6 cents).

But the carb/oz ratio at 4.6-4.7 still makes Maurten and SIS Beta really good options for carb loading prior to a race. And SIS Beta may be a better option for carb loading since it also contains the other electrolytes unlike Maurten. So when drinking a gallon (needs vary based on weight) of SIS the day before the marathon (or a few days prior) you may find you aren't diluting the other electrolytes as much as you would be with Maurten. So it's an intriguing contender in that space of the ring. But given its expense, it wouldn't be something I'd use for daily training, nor would it be a good option for someone who doesn't carry their fluids with them. I'd probably keep it to carb loading practices alone.

HappyBirthday!!!:bounce:party:

Thanks! Told G last night, that today was going to be my birthday. The look of sheer shock and horror was amazing. Clearly she hadn't gotten anything for me. So she was like, "Well that's awesome... Do you have the day off work? Are you staying home? If so, you might have to stay in the basement?..." She's only 5 and she's already trying to play me. :P

And my pulse was the lowest on record at 44. Think about how my pulse used to be in the 80s (or even 108 one time), and now my resting HR is usually in the 50-60s (or 44 this time). That says more about this whole endurance journey than most any other stat listed.

WoW! What A journey Billy!!
Its great to see such progress! 44 RHR is superior. You are in Great shape!! All the hard work you have put into it is paying off man!!

And keeping that weight off is incredible. What kind of diet do you eat? Currently been interested in the Keto Way of eating and intermittent fasting and loving it. Whats your thoughts on that diet?

Bravo for being a great example to many of us Billy!!

Thanks! Told G last night, that today was going to be my birthday. The look of sheer shock and horror was amazing. Clearly she hadn't gotten anything for me. So she was like, "Well that's awesome... Do you have the day off work? Are you staying home? If so, you might have to stay in the basement?..." She's only 5 and she's already trying to play me.

Happiest birth Day!! She is such a star. :)

Happy Birthday, Billy! I hope this coming year is your best year yet and includes lots of good things and goals achieved! (I'm not gonna get more specific on that one because I don't want to jinx it)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter