To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
We leave in 10 days and I’m the same way. I get stressed about it then get excited.
It’s frustrating that we have to be stressed about going to Disney.
I think we will get tested when we return. I just wonder how long do you wait to get an accurate test. I think if you get tested to early the virus will not show on a test?

We used the current CDC guidance on when a vaccinated person who has been exposed to COVID-19 should test, which is 3-5 days after exposure. Since none of us had symptoms (if we had we would have tested right away), we split the difference and tested 4 days after we got home. I have no idea if that’s the best way, but that was our reasoning for testing when we did.

We are here now and have been since August 1st. We go home tomorrow. I really wanted to cancel, but my kids and husband didn’t want to. I was so nervous about everything, not just Covid. I was reading awful reports about ride wait times, rude CMs, dirty parks so on and so forth. I actually lost 6 pounds before our trip because I didn’t have an appetite for days, so that tells you my stress level about this trip, and no one should be that stressed about vacation.

Anyway, we have had such an awesome trip! It is definitely our favorite one by far. As far as Covid goes, we mask indoors, wash our hands frequently or use hand sanitizer, are mindful about what we touch, and how close we are to others, although that last one is hard to control. Mask compliance is great in areas and not great in others. CMs remind everyone to wear a mask entering buildings and ride queues, but once inside or in line, it’s really a free for all. There is no way CMs can police masking in line. There are just too many people. If you are coming to Disney thinking everyone will be masking indoors or ride queues, you will find that is not the case, especially ride queues. We have found people in line the entire time with no mask on, hanging off from one ear, or down around their chin. I’m just trying to be honest, but don’t come if you are banking on 100% compliance because that certainly is not happening.

My kids do their own vacations now too but they still like a free Disney trip pirate:

My kids are both 41 and other than 2 trips I managed to sneak in with just me and my grandson, I’ve never made a trip without them. They pay their way sometimes, but to go as often as we do, I subsidize now and then. They’re happy, I’m happy,

But for now, it’s just not worth risking my grandson again. The vaccine for him will be out soon and hard as it is, we’re going to wait. Plus I just missed all the things that aren’t there too much. If anything, our recent trip proved to me that Disney with just rides is not somewhere I want to be.

I agree, just kind of figure that if my mother tests positive then that's what everyone has. My thinking could be wrong here though. My mother and daughter shared a bed together the entire trip, and fell ill at nearly the same time with identical symptoms.

Just remember since you've waited so long to test a negative isn't even a definitive "it's not covid" - the tests are much less reliable if you can't get tested within 1-2 days of symptom onset.

I can't even count the number of times my daughter has tested- her school allows them to test as often as they want and last school year, just to be sure she wasn't bringing something home, she was testing on a weekly basis. I've been tested at least a half dozen times, my 9 yr old grandson has tested just as often. It's really not a big deal. 3 seconds of a little discomfort and it's over.
Same - my 5yo calls it the "nose poke" and agrees she'd rather do the nose poke and go to Disney than not go at all.

A positive test—even if asymptotic—would require quarantine and missing school for two weeks. (For good reason, obviously.) Too much of a risk at the very start of a school year, especially with my kids starting a new school this year.
^as above, our kids have had to get a negative test before returning to school if we've traveled over the break. By pure coincidence, we will have been home for a week before school starts this year, so hopefully just quarantining (and no symptoms) might do the trick this time.

I know it’s “first world problems” but I feel your sadness, we are also considering cancelling. The feelings are valid because for many of us, these vacations were not just vacations , they were symbolic and the ONLY bright spot to look forward to, they were a sign that things were getting better, that things were looking hopeful. So, it’s not just cancelling a vacation, it’s going backwards to the time of uncertainty. That’s very depressing for me and I’m sure many others. Especially for those with kids, we have to cheerily say to them that we are “moving it to another time” while masking our own frustrations. Because a year ago I thought “no way will things still be all crazy with COVID” but here we are…..
Our upcoming trip is a reschedule of DD1's birthday trip in 2020. We had even arranged for her BFF's family to join us, her BFF ended up losing 2 uncles to COVID and moving out of state. Our prior trips were all when we had to mask indoors and out, so we'll be trying to do that this coming trip too. Hopefully still safe enough.

A reminder to not provide 'statistics' or opinions re: Covid testing. Please keep this thread to discussion re: going/not going to Disney.

Just cancelled our 8/26 trip, and rescheduled for Christmas trip !! Very excited, as now we get to see the 10/1 happenings, and HOPEFULLY, things a bit better before then... If nothing else, we I wont have to double-mask my unvaxxed DS10 in August, which I would have done in August --- Mask much easier, obviously, in December... Took some of the cancelling sting away--

Two questions--- had already ordered MagicBands for August, and they were just shipped--- will I be able to use them in December? (without visiting front desk--- I would be fine if we had to)
Sorry--- after all of these trips, I should probably know the answer already- Just wondering if all of my December info will load automatically to these MBs ?

Also, cancelling the August trip (hotel--- didnt have tix yet). -- Online fine for refund, or should I call ?

TIA !!!

A reminder to not provide 'statistics' or opinions re: Covid testing. Please keep this thread to discussion re: going/not going to Disney.

Maybe some posts have been deleted already, but most of the comments I've read on this thread regarding covid testing seem to revolve around the logistics of when to actually get tested. Those seem to be relevant with respect to travel, so I hope those posts are allowed to remain here.

Just cancelled our 8/26 trip, and rescheduled for Christmas trip !! Very excited, as now we get to see the 10/1 happenings, and HOPEFULLY, things a bit better before then... If nothing else, we I wont have to double-mask my unvaxxed DS10 in August, which I would have done in August --- Mask much easier, obviously, in December... Took some of the cancelling sting away--

Two questions--- had already ordered MagicBands for August, and they were just shipped--- will I be able to use them in December? (without visiting front desk--- I would be fine if we had to)
Sorry--- after all of these trips, I should probably know the answer already- Just wondering if all of my December info will load automatically to these MBs ?

Also, cancelling the August trip (hotel--- didnt have tix yet). -- Online fine for refund, or should I call ?

TIA !!!
Magic bands will still be good, no action needed as long as they show up on your DME account. We bought ones for DH and I for an April 2020 trip... which obviously didn't happen. Had no issues using them on our trips since then.

Magic bands will still be good, no action needed as long as they show up on your DME account. We bought ones for DH and I for an April 2020 trip... which obviously didn't happen. Had no issues using them on our trips since then.

Thanks so much !!! Yea, called just in case (had to cancel my August room reservation anyway) --- they said the same--- to make sure, they said I could link them when they come.

Husband and I are canceling for first week of October as are my daughter, son in law and grandson. He's only 2 years old and can't be vaccinated and it's not a chance we are willing to take. We have Boo Bash tickets and this was going to be our grandson's first trip. My daughter is pregnant so we probably won't get to Disney with him for at least a couple of years (hope I live to see that day). I am heartbroken that it has come to this.

We leave in 10 days and I’m the same way. I get stressed about it then get excited.
It’s frustrating that we have to be stressed about going to Disney.
I think we will get tested when we return. I just wonder how long do you wait to get an accurate test. I think if you get tested to early the virus will not show on a test?
By us if one wants to test out of quarantine it’s on day 5. Depends also what test (antigen vs PCR ). I’m getting home tests and testing on day 1,3 5. Since at some point I’ll have contact with my eldery mom who is vaxxed but for 5 dollars why not.

Husband and I are canceling for first week of October as are my daughter, son in law and grandson. He's only 2 years old and can't be vaccinated and it's not a chance we are willing to take. We have Boo Bash tickets and this was going to be our grandson's first trip. My daughter is pregnant so we probably won't get to Disney with him for at least a couple of years (hope I live to see that day). I am heartbroken that it has come to this.
I’m sorry you are canceling. This makes me sad. I’m sure it’s for the best netween pregnancy and littles

TIA !!!
We are also going in December. It is our favorite month to visit.

Really, since we are all getting better, I do hope it is for the exact reason you mention. My mother is the brave one willing to get tested tomorrow. My sister refuses, says it will hurt, and I don't want to subject a 2 y.o. to testing since she is doing fine with home care.
Late to the thread I know but the test doesn't hurt.slightly annoying but not hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter