To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re here right now at the boardwalk, haven’t done any parks, and people have been really good about masks inside. I’ve seen lots wearing them outside too
Are you planning to do parks? We are considering a non-park trip (which, with a toddler is kinda easier anyway. Crowds + a toddler on the loose = no fun). Wondering how it's gone for you.

Stating the obvious, but with all of the money Disney has, why cant they have testing at the first aid stations at the parks?

Gothca---just think they need to have someplace that people can go CLOSE to the parks to get tested
There was until things died down, like a mile ish from AK. It was a pretty huge testing site. Not Disney, so not sure if they would bring it back.

I'm aware of Delta, just wasn't aware that there isn't adequate testing available to keep up. I just checked for testing availability near WDW, and the first appointment I found at a CVS was for 5 days from now (I didn't check anywhere else, just the nearby CVS stores). That is nuts to me. Good argument for purchasing an at-home test to bring with you, just in case!

There is a testing site by AdventHealth available at Orlando International Airport with plenty of availability for both Antigen and PCR test. https://centracare.adventhealth.com/urgent-care/covid-19-testing-orlando-international-airport

Of those who have cancelled and had Boo Bash tickets, how were some able to get a refund instead of a credit? We have Boo Bash tickets for Labor Day, and we are going to cancel due to raging COVID in Florida (we live in Texas, so we have nothing to be proud of here either, but at home, we are not typically with thousands of people all day every day for 4 days like we would be if we took this trip). I would honestly like a refund because I don’t know when we would get back, unless things got dramatically better soon (and that is doubtful).

I know this probably belongs more in the Transportation section and I will post over there too but for those finding car rentals right now insane I found a great deal now at SIXT. Granted I work for an airline and used industry discount, which to be honest was not earth breaking.. but even without the discount its about 200 less for 5 days than the other big guys... ( just cancelled my Avis ) I think one reason they were cheaper is SIXT's main market is the Germany/European market and most are not able to enter the US right now.. So check out their website and maybe you will find like me a great savings...

I am laughing as I got a BMW X3 for 200 less than a Versa.. First time renting with them, but I know living in Germany they are very reputable.

I write this here as I know some, like me, who are going soon are lookiing at avoiding WDW transportation.

I know this probably belongs more in the Transportation section and I will post over there too but for those finding car rentals right now insane I found a great deal now at SIXT. Granted I work for an airline and used industry discount, which to be honest was not earth breaking.. but even without the discount its about 200 less for 5 days than the other big guys... ( just cancelled my Avis ) I think one reason they were cheaper is SIXT's main market is the Germany/European market and most are not able to enter the US right now.. So check out their website and maybe you will find like me a great savings...

I am laughing as I got a BMW X3 for 200 less than a Versa.. First time renting with them, but I know living in Germany they are very reputable.

I write this here as I know some, like me, who are going soon are lookiing at avoiding WDW transportation.
Check their reviews, they are horrible in the US. I looked into renting from them back in December, but the reviews were so bad I didn’t want to chance it. YMMV, but it may not be worth it. And I don’t believe they are located at the airport. That’s a deal breaker for me.

Check their reviews, they are horrible in the US. I looked into renting from them back in December, but the reviews were so bad I didn’t want to chance it. YMMV, but it may not be worth it. And I don’t believe they are located at the airport. That’s a deal breaker for me.
They are at the airport. Thx Need to read the reviews curious what they are about - odd seeing they are a well established German company since cars existed- But local staff can make or break a reputation.
I live in Germany and have only rented them locally. Normally in Orlando I go with Alamo since we’ve only stayed at Disney before and it’s been so convenient dropping car off at the dolphin, which by the way now is closed. The issue with our trip right now is that we are doing WDW and Universal. . YAnd through my online research I have learned if you’re in WDW it’s Alamo world and Universal is Avis. This trip has been the worst with car rental stress. It wouldn’t be so bad if we would pick and drop the car off at the airport. But we would like to leave the car at Universal. So in my case it makes sense to drop the sixt car off I just Uber over to Universal

Last edited:
They are at the airport. Thx Need to read the reviews curious what they are about - odd seeing they are a well established German company since cars existed- But local staff can make or break a reputation.
I live in Germany and have only rented them locally. Normally in Orlando I go with Alamo since we’ve only stayed at Disney before and it’s been so convenient dropping car off at the dolphin, which by the way now is closed. The issue with our trip right now is that we are doing WDW and Universal. . YAnd through my online research I have learned if you’re in WDW it’s Alamo world and Universal is Avis. This trip has been the worst with car rental stress. It wouldn’t be so bad if we would pick and drop the car off at the airport. But we would like to leave the car at Universal. So in my case it makes sense to drop the sixt car off I just Uber over to Universal
Reviews have improved since December, just checked them out. Keep us posted on your experience!

Are you planning to do parks? We are considering a non-park trip (which, with a toddler is kinda easier anyway. Crowds + a toddler on the loose = no fun). Wondering how it's gone for you.
We ended up doing an afternoon at Epcot. We’re locals so we only stayed for 2 nights which honestly was plenty with a toddler lol. The parks are hard right now with a 15 month old. He wants to walk but won’t hold our hands so runs into everyone. He doesn’t like long, slow rides so we don’t ride much. It’s just hard. We’ll be back in September for another 3 night stay but at AoA and do have 2 park days planned. We usually go in the morning before his nap or in the afternoon after his nap but just one or the other so like 3-4 hours in the park total. The rest of the day is at the resort

I know a couple of days ago I said we are still going. Now we are thinking of cancelling after reading about how bad the cases are there.
This will be our 3rd cancellation if we cancel. How many days ahead can we cancel with a room only and get our deposit back? I’m so undecided.

I know a couple of days ago I said we are still going. Now we are thinking of cancelling after reading about how bad the cases are there.
This will be our 3rd cancellation if we cancel. How many days ahead can we cancel with a room only and get our deposit back? I’m so undecided.
Room only is five days prior for full refund.

i'm about 90% sure that I am cancelling as well. I was taking this trip before I embarked on another cancer surgery- kind of a last hurrah before I had to lay low for a long while. I've been going to WDW for 30 years and I am so happy when I am there, with or without my kids. I am fully vaccinated and will receive my booster in the next few days, but it's the breakthrough cases that worry me. I can say to myself that this could well be my last trip for a very long while and I deserve it, but I won't feel that way if I get Covid and am fighting for my life.

For me personally and as a registered nurse, it's not really being hospitalized that worries me, it's recovering but ending up with the fairly severe long-term Covid complications. I never thought it was fair to families when their loved one would come into the ER and doctors would tell them that the patient could be saved. What was never said was what the patient may well look like after the saving.

I wish wonderful trips to those that are going and sorely wish it was me. These decisions are tough as all of us weigh the pros and cons. I do not judge anyone as to what their choice is. It's not my place nor should it be.

Threehearts

If you're too late to get the deposit back, don't cancel it just reschedule it for somethings much farther out. You can then go back in and cancel that and get your deposit back, if you decide you don't actually want to reschedule now. You may also be able to just cancel on the phone citing covid, but I hate waiting on hold on the phone and this has worked for me online.

Asking for a friend - does anyone know what the deal is with rescheduling with military tickets? She has to use them by the end of this year and I know with a normal ticket they could move the date on them but I think the military tickets are handled differently. In an ideal world they would reschedule to next year because of the Covid situation right now but the tickets may not be extendable/refundable.

If you're too late to get the deposit back, don't cancel it just reschedule it for somethings much farther out. You can then go back in and cancel that and get your deposit back, if you decide you don't actually want to reschedule now. You may also be able to just cancel on the phone citing covid, but I hate waiting on hold on the phone and this has worked for me online.
It’s not to late yet. I have few more days to cancel the resort. I’m just wondering about tickets we bought from undercover tourists that expire September 23. There is no option to change the date on my disney experience.

That's what I did. Just rescheduled my hotel stay and Disney applied my deposit to to the rescheduled trip. Rescheduled park tix, too. Disney refunded the personalized magic bands I didn't use.

That is the obvious solution. But the park reservation system has backfired, and now Disney has painted themselves into a corner. When things were looking better a month or two ago, they opened up park reservations and resort reservations way too much and too quickly. And now they're trapped. They can't very well cancel people's existing reservations. Which means that they have no way of limiting capacity over the next few months --- when reduced capacity will be needed most.

There are a couple of things they could do:

They could extend hours on heavily-booked days in the hope of spreading the crowd out a bit, and they could send out an email offer with some sort of food coupon code in return for changing a reservation to a less-full park on a given day.

They also could offer financial incentives to locals who have park reservations booked, to cancel them entirely.

What I think is happening right now is that they are simply closing the gate now; not taking any further reservations for days that are already over a certain percentage. I suspect resort cancellations are running fairly high, so part of the problem will take care of itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter