To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was our thinking for our trip 7/30-8/6. Unfortunately, my almost 3 y.o. daughter got sick the day we left for home, and two out of four vaccinated adults also became ill shortly after. We are quarantined, but have not yet been tested. Based on symptoms, I would guess that this is covid. My mother says that if it is, she's certainly glad she's vaccinated, because it's been terrible for her between the coughing, fever, and exhaustion. My sister has constant fatigue and loss of taste and smell. Surprisingly I'm feeling fine, despite my daughter coughing in my face the last five days. Since everyone seems to be on the other side of whatever this is, I don't regret going. We really had a great time, despite the crowds. But, I wouldn't take the risk again unless things improve. My husband, daughter and I have another trip booked the end of January. Hopefully it gets better by then, otherwise I will cancel. Room only at the moment, haven't committed to tickets yet.

Also, we masked inside, and outside in high crowds, washed hands and sanitized often. However, we had 6 table service meals and swam several times in a crowded pool. Unfortunately, there's just no telling where or how we picked it up. It could have been in those riskier situations, but really anywhere at wdw is a potential risk right now.

I'm not trying to sway anyone in any direction, just adding my story. I made sure to pack a thermometer and children's Tylenol when I left, and I'm glad I did.
Girl! Get tested! If you’re positive you guys would know you had antibodies for months! All the trips 🤩. —I’m only partly joking. I’d love to have it, not *die* and know I had an immune boost

Last edited:
This was our thinking for our trip 7/30-8/6. Unfortunately, my almost 3 y.o. daughter got sick the day we left for home, and two out of four vaccinated adults also became ill shortly after. We are quarantined, but have not yet been tested. Based on symptoms, I would guess that this is covid. My mother says that if it is, she's certainly glad she's vaccinated, because it's been terrible for her between the coughing, fever, and exhaustion. My sister has constant fatigue and loss of taste and smell. Surprisingly I'm feeling fine, despite my daughter coughing in my face the last five days. Since everyone seems to be on the other side of whatever this is, I don't regret going. We really had a great time, despite the crowds. But, I wouldn't take the risk again unless things improve. My husband, daughter and I have another trip booked the end of January. Hopefully it gets better by then, otherwise I will cancel. Room only at the moment, haven't committed to tickets yet.

Also, we masked inside, and outside in high crowds, washed hands and sanitized often. However, we had 6 table service meals and swam several times in a crowded pool. Unfortunately, there's just no telling where or how we picked it up. It could have been in those riskier situations, but really anywhere at wdw is a potential risk right now.

I'm not trying to sway anyone in any direction, just adding my story. I made sure to pack a thermometer and children's Tylenol when I left, and I'm glad I did.

<<. Room only at the moment, haven't committed to tickets yet.>>

Did the same for POSSIBLE 8/26 trip--- didnt want to commit to the ticket price, but did book JetBlue (basic)--- got a $49 return flight that was too hard to pass up. So, might end up getting a credit from JB, and my deposit for room back--- I am going to decide by this weekend, but leaning towards cancelling... I worry about my DS10..... We went July 14, and was not worried, until I saw the lines and waiting queues --- ppl were on top of us.. I dont want to go, and not feel comfortable on any attractions, or at indoor restaurants

Girl! Get tested! If your positive you guys would know you had antibodies for months! All the trips 🤩. —I’m only partly joking. I’d love to have it, not due, and know I had an immune boost

Really, since we are all getting better, I do hope it is for the exact reason you mention. My mother is the brave one willing to get tested tomorrow. My sister refuses, says it will hurt, and I don't want to subject a 2 y.o. to testing since she is doing fine with home care.

Really, since we are all getting better, I do hope it is for the exact reason you mention. My mother is the brave one willing to get tested tomorrow. My sister refuses, says it will hurt, and I don't want to subject a 2 y.o. to testing since she is doing fine with home care.
It's totally up to you but having had Covid, I'm so thankful we were tested. Knowing we had it and how our symptoms were helps give me a bit of peace of mind should we get it again. Not saying it would be the same but just knowing definitively has been helpful to us.

We have friends who were in Asia in early 2020 and 3/4 of them came home sick and even though one went to the hospital a few times, she was never tested as they weren't testing here for Covid yet. I can't tell you the number of times that she's wished she was tested so that she would know for sure. Literally every couple of weeks she says this.

Last edited:
It's totally up to you but having had Covid, I'm so thankful we were tested. Knowing we had it and how our symptoms were helps give me a bit of peace of mind should we get it again.

We have friends who were in Asia in early 2020 and 3/4 of them came home sick and even though one went to the hospital a few times, she was never tested as they weren't testing here for Covid yet. I can't tell you the number of times that she's wished she was tested so that she would know for sure. Literally every couple of weeks she says this.

I agree, just kind of figure that if my mother tests positive then that's what everyone has. My thinking could be wrong here though. My mother and daughter shared a bed together the entire trip, and fell ill at nearly the same time with identical symptoms.

Aren’t we all funny! I’ve done the opposite. I’m now *thinking* I’ll avoid F&W entirely. Too much touching and sharing and people! The only day I could go was a Friday and I think the locals will be there in droves. On the other hand, I’ve added more ADRs because I like to sit at my own table and know the food was prepared away from the masses.
My other plans are swimming, double-masking, and just being relaxed about what I have to do
We were there in July for F&W. It was so packed, with kiosk lines so long in 90+ degree heat ... well to be short we didn't sample one thing. And I felt as you. Too much food handling. We'll be back in September but only to use Covid points (DVC) that we could lose. Two adults vaccinated, no kids. We drive down and bring food, so that's the plan for September.

Aren’t we all funny! I’ve done the opposite. I’m now *thinking* I’ll avoid F&W entirely. Too much touching and sharing and people! The only day I could go was a Friday and I think the locals will be there in droves. On the other hand, I’ve added more ADRs because I like to sit at my own table and know the food was prepared away from the masses.
My other plans are swimming, double-masking, and just being relaxed about what I have to do
We were there in July for F&W. It was so packed, with kiosk lines so long in 90+ degree heat ... well to be short we didn't sample one thing. And I felt as you. Too much food handling. We'll be back in September but only to use Covid points (DVC) that we could lose. Two adults vaccinated, no kids. We drive down and bring food, so that's the plan for September.

I’m going solo as well. I usually take my little (6) but she’s in school and I’m glad she is staying home since this trip seems more risky than our other trips. Worst case I spend all the time holed up in my room eating Sanaa take out and reading romances. Darn…

I can't tell you the number of times that she's wished she was tested so that she would know for sure. Literally every couple of weeks she says this.

Is testing for antibodies available where she is? Since my daughter caught Covid at school last Christmas, her Dr ordered all of us ( she lives me with) to be tested for antibodies, just as a double check a few months after she had recovered.

y mother is the brave one willing to get tested tomorrow. My sister refuses, says it will hurt,

I can't even count the number of times my daughter has tested- her school allows them to test as often as they want and last school year, just to be sure she wasn't bringing something home, she was testing on a weekly basis. I've been tested at least a half dozen times, my 9 yr old grandson has tested just as often. It's really not a big deal. 3 seconds of a little discomfort and it's over.

We are officially a "go" in 2 days! I wake up some mornings stressed about it, and some mornings so happy and excited. Today is a happy day. I'll be posting in the "here now" thread while there.

I am going to chime in with others and recommend testing. It becomes key data for the scientists analyzing the virus to understand how delta is spreading in vaccinated adults and kids. Absolutely your choice though. I do agree if your mother tests positive you can assume you all have it.

We are on the brink of canceling our Labor Day trip. Even though we are all fully vaccinated, I just can’t justify diving into the heart of the beast at this moment —though believe me, I’ve tried. The biggest problem for us is that I am a teacher and my two kids are in high school. A positive test—even if asymptomatic—would require quarantine and missing school for two weeks. (For good reason, obviously.) Too much of a risk at the very start of a school year, especially with my kids starting a new school this year.

I’m just so sad. We had to reschedule once already, and my kids (and I) were looking forward to this trip so, so much. I had every ADR perfectly set. Boo Bash tickets that I spent literally all day getting. The works.

First world problems, I know. But devastating all the same. I really hate this.

Last edited:
We are on the brink of canceling our Labor Day trip. Even though we are all fully vaccinated, I just can’t justify diving into the heart of the beast at this moment —though believe me, I’ve tried. The biggest problem for us is that I am a teacher and my two kids are in high school. A positive test—even if asymptotic—would require quarantine and missing school for two weeks. (For good reason, obviously.) Too much of a risk at the very start of a school year, especially with my kids starting a new school this year.

I’m just so sad. We had to reschedule once already, and my kids (and I) were looking forward to this trip so, so much. I had every ADR perfectly set. Boo Bash tickets that I spent literally all day getting. The works.

First world problems, I know. But devastating all the same. I really hate this.
I know it’s “first world problems” but I feel your sadness, we are also considering cancelling. The feelings are valid because for many of us, these vacations were not just vacations , they were symbolic and the ONLY bright spot to look forward to, they were a sign that things were getting better, that things were looking hopeful. So, it’s not just cancelling a vacation, it’s going backwards to the time of uncertainty. That’s very depressing for me and I’m sure many others. Especially for those with kids, we have to cheerily say to them that we are “moving it to another time” while masking our own frustrations. Because a year ago I thought “no way will things still be all crazy with COVID” but here we are…..

I know it’s “first world problems” but I feel your sadness, we are also considering cancelling. The feelings are valid because for many of us, these vacations were not just vacations , they were symbolic and the ONLY bright spot to look forward to, they were a sign that things were getting better, that things were looking hopeful. So, it’s not just cancelling a vacation, it’s going backwards to the time of uncertainty. That’s very depressing for me and I’m sure many others. Especially for those with kids, we have to cheerily say to them that we are “moving it to another time” while masking our own frustrations. Because a year ago I thought “no way will things still be all crazy with COVID” but here we are…..

I'm with both of you--- were DID go July 14 and had a very good time (especially when we were not in the parks !! -- too crowded, and missed FP)

We were planning on going back with friends in two weeks--- air and hotel booked--- waited with the tickets. But just would feel irresponsible on my part taking my DS10 right now--- My only thought now is to just skip the parks, and do hotel only, but that would be 25% of the experience for us.

We ended up postponing our July 27 trip a week before because at the time there was no mask mandate and the reports of high crowds and covid rates skyrocketing - for us it was an easy decision to make with three young unvaccinated children. However, ironic as it is, we ended up still getting COVID here in our small Midwestern town that very same week! I was the last of the family to get it and am the only one that actually went to get tested, I am fully vaccinated so I’ve been healing quickly thankfully. But the nurse practitioner thinks we all had it (fully vaccinated husband, 8yo and 2 yo twins) as we all had a “cold” around the same time but I was the only one to lose my smell and taste which lead to me getting tested. So frustrating that after over a year of living in a bubble and being so careful masking up, we let our guard down here at home and ended up still getting it.

Meanwhile, we postponed our trip to Sept 24 for just 4 nights at the Grand Floridian which is also the week our twins turn 3 ( so I’m sure you know the incentive there as well.) I think we are good to go since we’ve all just had covid but my husband is still very hesitant. So far, we are taking a wait and see approach and just hoping numbers go down there and the hospitals aren’t as packed!

We are officially a "go" in 2 days! I wake up some mornings stressed about it, and some mornings so happy and excited. Today is a happy day. I'll be posting in the "here now" thread while there.

I am going to chime in with others and recommend testing. It becomes key data for the scientists analyzing the virus to understand how delta is spreading in vaccinated adults and kids. Absolutely your choice though. I do agree if your mother tests positive you can assume you all have it.
We leave in 10 days and I’m the same way. I get stressed about it then get excited.
It’s frustrating that we have to be stressed about going to Disney.
I think we will get tested when we return. I just wonder how long do you wait to get an accurate test. I think if you get tested to early the virus will not show on a test?

We leave in 10 days and I’m the same way. I get stressed about it then get excited.
It’s frustrating that we have to be stressed about going to Disney.
I think we will get tested when we return. I just wonder how long do you wait to get an accurate test. I think if you get tested to early the virus will not show on a test?

My work was having us wait 5 days after returning from travel before getting tested last year. If the test was negative after that time, we were cleared to come back into work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter