• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping the airline check in at resort????

I just took my bag down to the airline check-in at the resort. (Disney resort) One of the employees took my bag and weighed it, another one checked me in and printed the tag. The guy that checked me in walked me over to put the tag on my bag, before he tagged it he said “I’ll be handling your bag for you” at least 3 times and just looked at me. I think he wanted a tip. I have never tipped the airline/airport employees just for checking me in. Am I supposed to? He didn’t even have to lift my bag, his co-worker put it on the scale.
I tip bell services when I use their services, just never thought I needed to tip the airport check-in employees. I hope my bag makes it on the plane!

Yes, these are tipped positions. I'm very glad to tip a few dollars as I don't have to drag my bags to the airport and check them there!

What I get confused about is where to draw the line, being an international visitor. I always tip at restaurants in the US, as I know waiters are paid very little and rely on tips. As far as I’m aware, though, baggage handlers, bell services, and valets all make a full wage, similar to those in untipped positions. I know they’re providing a service to you, but in that case why not tip cashiers, boat/ bus drivers, etc? I tip as I know it’s customary, but I’m always worried I’m not tipping everyone that I’m supposed to! :o

I'm American and I can't keep it straight, either. I don't think I've ever tipped at RAC, tipping housekeeping usually eats all my cash.

What I get confused about is where to draw the line, being an international visitor. I always tip at restaurants in the US, as I know waiters are paid very little and rely on tips. As far as I’m aware, though, baggage handlers, bell services, and valets all make a full wage, similar to those in untipped positions. I know they’re providing a service to you, but in that case why not tip cashiers, boat/ bus drivers, etc? I tip as I know it’s customary, but I’m always worried I’m not tipping everyone that I’m supposed to! :o
I can see how it's hard to keep up with but cashiers are not a "personal, one on one service" where the employee is handling things for you (bags, food, room, etc)
There are those who do tip drivers (bus and taxi, not boat, no, I don't know why not boat). I personally do not tip drivers that are driving a group (as in an entire bus full of people), only when they are driving me as an individual (or my family) as in an Uber
And even some cashiers will put out tip jars but I find that over the line as taking my money is not providing a service.
So yes, anyone handling bags for me would be tipped. Anywhere, any time.

I'm American and I can't keep it straight either. I also think tipping is out of control in the USA.
Yes, tipping is out of control. Anytime it's expected, it's out of control.

I'm American and I can't keep it straight, either. I don't think I've ever tipped at RAC, tipping housekeeping usually eats all my cash.

I'm American and I can't keep it straight either. I also think tipping is out of control in the USA.

I can see how it's hard to keep up with but cashiers are not a "personal, one on one service" where the employee is handling things for you (bags, food, room, etc)
There are those who do tip drivers (bus and taxi, not boat, no, I don't know why not boat). I personally do not tip drivers that are driving a group (as in an entire bus full of people), only when they are driving me as an individual (or my family) as in an Uber
And even some cashiers will put out tip jars but I find that over the line as taking my money is not providing a service.
So yes, anyone handling bags for me would be tipped. Anywhere, any time.

Yes, tipping is out of control. Anytime it's expected, it's out of control.

Thanks guys! I can kind of see the logic in that case if the employee is handling something for you, but if someone is making a full minimum wage I don’t see why they should expect to be tipped. In the U.K., we tend to only tip in restaurants for excellent service - standard rate is around 10% - and there is no expectation. Bell hops, baggage handlers and valets we do not tip. That said, I will continue to tip in the USA - really helpful to know when! :)

Thanks guys! I can kind of see the logic in that case if the employee is handling something for you, but if someone is making a full minimum wage I don’t see why they should expect to be tipped. In the U.K., we tend to only tip in restaurants for excellent service - standard rate is around 10% - and there is no expectation. Bell hops, baggage handlers and valets we do not tip. That said, I will continue to tip in the USA - really helpful to know when! :)

Tip your valet at least $5 when they bring you your car ONLY. No tip when you drop it off.

Tip anyone who handles your bags, coming or going.

Tip the RAC person who helps you. They are skycaps and it's a customarily tipped position in the U.S., regardless of wage.

We tip both the person entering the info on the computer and the one handling the bags. Like others said the convenience it allows to not deal with all of that at the airport is worth it.

One time I tried to tip a CM involved with RAC who refused my tip and told me it was against company policy. He pointed out two different costumes for the CMs, indicating that the folks in the other costume could accept tips. I can no longer recall which resort... Coronado I think? Has this happened to anyone else? Do you know what the distinction is? I know bell services can accept tips obviously, but I don't know what the role would have been for the gentleman who told me he could not take a tip.

A typical curbside skycap earns close to minimum wage around $10-$12/hour or $21,000- $25,000. With tips at a busy airport they'll earn between $45,000-$80,000 a year.

Yep! Tipping allowed and encouraged and ...deserved.

Only because the USA is a tip based society. Other cultures its an insult to tip someone (Tahiti for instance) as they're supposed to do a great job they are paid for. Many say tip because their salary is low. To me that's a problem between the employee and the employer rather than me. None the less, I do tip well when I receive great service anywhere the individual gets my tip. When its pooled I'll tip less but thats just me.

I didn’t realize I should tip the first two times we did the airline check-in at our resort. It was after reading this board and realizing the person helping us at airline check-in is essentially a skycap that I realized I should be tipping. Agree that some signs would help with the tipping confusion. Most Disney travelers don’t read this board and might not realize, like I didn’t, that resort airline check-in is a tipped position.

Agree that some signs would help with the tipping confusion. Most Disney travelers don’t read this board and might not realize, like I didn’t, that resort airline check-in is a tipped position.

No doubt.

If RAC would put up signs,I would not be surprised if their Tips DOUBLED!:)

I didn’t realize I should tip the first two times we did the airline check-in at our resort. It was after reading this board and realizing the person helping us at airline check-in is essentially a skycap that I realized I should be tipping. Agree that some signs would help with the tipping confusion. Most Disney travelers don’t read this board and might not realize, like I didn’t, that resort airline check-in is a tipped position.

Agree

I was half asleep when I used RAC at POP in January and didn't even think about tipping. A few weeks ago at CR I was so annoyed because bell services never showed up to help us with our 7 suitcases that I was flustered and didn't realize I was supposed to tip RAC until we were already gone.

Stuff happens. My bags got where they needed to. I'm pretty sure many people don't even think about it. Tipping at Disney can be very confusing.

Thanks guys! I can kind of see the logic in that case if the employee is handling something for you, but if someone is making a full minimum wage I don’t see why they should expect to be tipped.

The thing is, they're likely not making a full minimum wage. In the US, certain job categories are exempt from the minimum wage requirement, because it's anticipated that they will be tipped. The minimum wage for these positions is currently $2.13 per hour. At WDW, tipped positions include bell services, valet parking, and restaurant servers. When using the services of those folks, tipping is expected.

At WDW, tipped positions include bell services, valet parking, and restaurant servers. When using the services of those folks, tipping is expected.
I also tip Housekeeping and RAC and the DME Drivers-basically I tip anyone who is ALLOWED to receive a tip.:)

Not much money in the grand scheme and it makes me feel good.:)

Related questions, as I was unaware this was expected:

1. Is there a way to send a digital tip/adjust room charge?
  2. I only took my checked bag to the resort check in because the Magical Express letter instructed me to. Is it better to take it on the bus myself and check it at the airport with the airline? I'm totally comfortable doing so- I thought this process was to help the drivers.
I don't carry cash, and I'm self-serve whenever possible. Of course I tip at restaurants and when using ride share, etc., but that's all digital with clear expectations. I prefer blunt instructions. If a payment is necessary for this service I'd rather have the option to add it to my bill or send it electronically. If it's not complimentary they shouldn't say it is- just be upfront. I love that I can opt out of mousekeeping. The idea of planning, managing, and carrying cash around is a huge stressor for me and trips are supposed to be mostly relaxing. Really uncomfortable with the practice in general, but always want to do the right thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter