Tipping the airline check in at resort????

luvbwv

Half of my heart is in heaven.
I just took my bag down to the airline check-in at the resort. (Disney resort) One of the employees took my bag and weighed it, another one checked me in and printed the tag. The guy that checked me in walked me over to put the tag on my bag, before he tagged it he said “I’ll be handling your bag for you” at least 3 times and just looked at me. I think he wanted a tip. I have never tipped the airline/airport employees just for checking me in. Am I supposed to? He didn’t even have to lift my bag, his co-worker put it on the scale.
I tip bell services when I use their services, just never thought I needed to tip the airport check-in employees. I hope my bag makes it on the plane!

Yes, it's a customary position to tip.
They are the same exact employees that work curbside at the airport. Do you not tip there?
I just took my bag down to the airline check-in at the resort. (Disney resort) One of the employees took my bag and weighed it, another one checked me in and printed the tag. The guy that checked me in walked me over to put the tag on my bag, before he tagged it he said “I’ll be handling your bag for you” at least 3 times and just looked at me. I think he wanted a tip. I have never tipped the airline/airport employees just for checking me in. Am I supposed to? He didn’t even have to lift my bag, his co-worker put it on the scale.
I tip bell services when I use their services, just never thought I needed to tip the airport check-in employees. I hope my bag makes it on the plane!
They are not airline employee, they are a 3rd party contractor

I am another person that tips and I believe that it is a circumstance where the people pool their tips. That is all the tips collected during a shift are put together and then divided among the people that worked that shift. That way there is not a problem between the people checking you in, the people weighing the bags and the people actually handling the bags.

We used curbside at the airport for the first time last year. I honestly didn't know it was a tipped position, and the man helping us said "this is customarily a tipped position" when we were finishing up. He said it in the nicest way possible, and I'm glad he did because I wouldn't have known otherwise. But it does make it awkward for everyone and I agree that a sign there, as well as at the RAC desk, would be helpful for all!

Yes, they should be tipped, and yes, signs about tipping should probably appear everywhere it is expected, in this day and age.

I only used them once and I think we tipped. But I'm not sure???

I will definitely remember to tip next time.

When I go to the airport, if I use curbside, I always tip but we usually just go inside since most of our flights are very early and curbside usually isn't open. When we go inside we don't tip.

Yes - RAC is airport curbside check in but the "curb" is at the resort and its a tipped position, in fact some airlines charge for curbside.

We always tip at least $1.00 per bag, its so worth it not only to avoid the long MCO bag check lines but to have our bags transported to the airport as well.

This exact thing happened to me last year at the Poly. The guy told me he was taking care of our bags and I said "that's great, thank you!" I had no idea I was supposed to tip until after when my husband scolded me. I don't travel much so I wasn't down with all the tipping scenarios!

Anyway, I was embarrassed afterwards, but lesson learned.

What I get confused about is where to draw the line, being an international visitor. I always tip at restaurants in the US, as I know waiters are paid very little and rely on tips. As far as I’m aware, though, baggage handlers, bell services, and valets all make a full wage, similar to those in untipped positions. I know they’re providing a service to you, but in that case why not tip cashiers, boat/ bus drivers, etc? I tip as I know it’s customary, but I’m always worried I’m not tipping everyone that I’m supposed to! :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter