Tinker Bell ½ Marathon Weekend ~ 2014 Check-in!

Hey, I know I'm late chiming in here, but I think you should totally do it Indygirl! I am running my first half marathon next month, and it has been so fun. Certainly hard at first, but it's amazing how quickly that 4 mile run that killed you a couple of weeks ago suddenly seems pretty easy!
I would recommend finding a 5K or 10K to do first, you should be able to find one in your area over the next few months. I'd give that a try first with a training program, and then you'll know if you want to stick with it for 13.1 miles!
I'm hoping to do the Tink half, but will need to evaluate closer to the race. But I sure hope to see you all there!

Thank you for the encouragement. I started the C25K yesterday and am using Jeff Galloways run-walk-run method. When I finish the C25K training I will move on into his half training. I will get the chance to do a few 5K races in the Portland area before the Tink.

I went ahead and signed up and paid tonight for the Tink so I HAVE to do it. Even if I end up getting picked up and bused to the finish line I will be there and give it my best effort. :woohoo:

Registered last night so I guess that makes it official! I will be running my first half marathon and I can't wait!!! :cool1:

I'm really excited because my sister signed up to run Tink with me! This will be her first Half Marathon. I had asked her to run it with me last year but she had just found out she was pregnant. Little Violet will be 10 months by then so our mom is going with us to help watch her in case my BIL has to work.

That's awesome Indygirl! What a great attitude!
I've been using the Galloway training program to train for my half, and I've really liked it. I find it helps me pace myself, so I don't go all out at first and die at mile 6 ;) The pacing requirement for the runDisney races is pretty slow, and you could really probably just do a fast walk the whole time. But it sounds like there are lots of characters and photo ops along the way, so if I do Tink, I'm going to try for a 10-minute mile pace. Still slow compared to most, but hey, the whole point is to finish, right? I know we can do it!

How soon does it usually get booked? I can't afford to register right now, with the July trip to Disney and being unemployed I don't have any disposable income right now. But I will in mid-July, will it be completely booked by then? I so want to run it, I just can't pay for it this second.

I am in as long as it is not sold out mid-July :) I need to wait until after our family vacation to DL in days!

I'm in for Tink and the 5K again and I will register today. I want to keep my legacy status.

Is there an incentive to keep legacy or just bragging rights? (i'd take bragging too but we are more likely to do the DL 1/2 since it gives us more buffer after the W+D)

Thank you for the encouragement. I started the C25K yesterday and am using Jeff Galloways run-walk-run method. When I finish the C25K training I will move on into his half training. I will get the chance to do a few 5K races in the Portland area before the Tink.

I went ahead and signed up and paid tonight for the Tink so I HAVE to do it. Even if I end up getting picked up and bused to the finish line I will be there and give it my best effort. :woohoo:

Hi fellow Portlander! ::wave:: We're doing the 5K on Sauvies Island and the Pints to Pasta 10K!

How soon does it usually get booked? I can't afford to register right now, with the July trip to Disney and being unemployed I don't have any disposable income right now. But I will in mid-July, will it be completely booked by then? I so want to run it, I just can't pay for it this second.

Last year, I think it sold out in But I know that a lot of people were upset about the way they dragged out the announcement and that it was "another" female race and didn't run as a kind of protest, so they might come back this year. But once reg hits 50%, they'll have the % on the race site and update it pretty frequently. Once it hits 90% or so, it goes pretty fast.

Is there an incentive to keep legacy or just bragging rights? (i'd take bragging too but we are more likely to do the DL 1/2 since it gives us more buffer after the W+D)

For the legacy runners, you get a different bib than the others and your lanyard on your medal is different as well. They also have a list, at least w/ the 5th for the DL, of all the legacies posted in the race weekend program. I didn't pay attention last year at the DL 1/2 so I not sure if they do the legacy stuff just on the anniversaries or if the start at the 5th and keep it up every year.

Thank you for your encouraging words. If you knew me you would probably put me in the "not the saniest" category also. :rotfl:

I looked at both the C25K and 1/2 marathon training sites and I think this is something that I will be able to do.

The 1/2 marathon site recommends that you be a runner for at least 2 months before training for the 1/2 so doing the C25K would be perfect to get me started.

I had DH look at it and he said he would train with me. :banana: He won't be able to run with me because that is finals weekend for him so I will have to sacrifice and go to DLR by myself. :lmao:

So count me in. :cheer2: The goal is to run AND finish.

You're awesome, Indygirl!! You convinced me to sign up...but only for the 5k :) I had a baby in January and still have about 50 pounds of baby weight to lose. And I too need something to work for. Nothing more motivating than a trip to Disney!! I want to do a half someday but with a 4 month old, I wasn't confident I could dedicate enough time to train. I think I'll be ok with the 5k though.

I might be in. I was messing around on the registration site last night and my DH asked what I was doing. Told him I was registering for another Disney race. He asked if I was still planning on doing the Princess as well (annual girls trip) I said- yes- and I'd get a C2C medal. Really, it's a bargain, 3 medals for the price of 2. bahhahhaaaa

Jokes on me- he told me to do it! YAY!!!!

I haven't pulled the trigger but I am very very tempted. I was planning on running a local half the week before Tink so this doesn't change my running plans much. It only changes my bank account plans. ;)

I was looking at HoJo- 30 min walk to get to the start? Is that what yall guess? The website says there is transpo for good neighbor hotels. Anyone know which ones had transpo last year? If I can save an extra 30 min on my legs I certainly will take it! LOL

I was looking at HoJo- 30 min walk to get to the start? Is that what yall guess? The website says there is transpo for good neighbor hotels. Anyone know which ones had transpo last year? If I can save an extra 30 min on my legs I certainly will take it! LOL

Yeah, 30 mins or so sounds about right. I'll look to see if I can find the program from this year's to find the list. You'll still have to walk though, the shuttles only take you to the east esplanade which is the big crosswalk on Harbor and from Hojo's, that's only a 3-5min walk/about a block. So you still have to go through DTD and over to the start area.

I did this walk last year, and i'd say 20 minutes. Its cold and dark, so i was walking fast...I was worried i'd be scared walking alone, but there were TONS of walkers out even at 4:15 am. Tons of runners even in the HoJo lobby and grounds.

I would not go with the busses..you will probably have to get up earlier, wait around, and you'd be there already if you had walked. I get really nervous about getting to races early...buses wouldn't work for me.

If you have a cooperative hubby, maybe he'd get up early and drive you over?

One thing I would suggest is saving up an old warm sweatshirt to wear before the race, then toss it to the side of the road (some races will collect and donate them). It wasn't super cold- I wore a garbage bag with cut outs to keep warm- some people i saw wore scrub outfits!- but it was COLD at 4am!

Im staying at the Hojo as well and am planning on a 30 minute walk at the most.

Can anyone tell me about the 5K? Does it usally sell out? And do people walk it? I was thinking it might be fun for my mom and DD to do.

I did this walk last year, and i'd say 20 minutes. Its cold and dark, so i was walking fast...I was worried i'd be scared walking alone, but there were TONS of walkers out even at 4:15 am. Tons of runners even in the HoJo lobby and grounds.

I would not go with the busses..you will probably have to get up earlier, wait around, and you'd be there already if you had walked. I get really nervous about getting to races early...buses wouldn't work for me.

If you have a cooperative hubby, maybe he'd get up early and drive you over?

One thing I would suggest is saving up an old warm sweatshirt to wear before the race, then toss it to the side of the road (some races will collect and donate them). It wasn't super cold- I wore a garbage bag with cut outs to keep warm- some people i saw wore scrub outfits!- but it was COLD at 4am!

Thanks for this. I'm at HoJo and considered taking the bus to save my legs, but I also stress major about being late for stuff so it'd probably do me more harm stressing about lines and timing than just walking over.

I did the sweatshirt thing and since I was in the last (E) corral, I witnessed volunteers with armloads of clothing; they picked it up from the street where others threw it. My SIL had told me in advance that they would donate clothes. It was definitely chilly so I was very happy to have the sweatshirt!

I just registered today since it's already at 51% full. I don't want to risk it. I'm hoping the 5k reg moves slower so our finances can recover before we need to register DH, DD8, and DD6 for the 5k.

I can't believe the 1/2 is already 51% full! And people on the FB page were complaining about the race fees. So much for that being an issue.

I am not a runner, but for some reason have a real urge to do this...probably because of the beautiful medal!! HA. Maybe I'll start with the 5k...

I can't believe it's already at 51%. I won't be able to register if it's sold out before the 15th of July. I really want to run it, but if not I'll just wait for the next one. I started training today. For the first week I'll run 30 minutes, then add 15 minutes per week until I'm running 2.5 hours 3 times a week. Once I have the stamina, speed should come next. Today I ran just about 2 miles in 30 minutes, it wouldn't pass the APFT, but it was 9am rather than 6 and hot already.

I'm in! I freaked out over the 51%. LOL You locals don't mess around, huh?

I'll be going solo unless I can strong arm a running pal into coming with me. Totally excited. I've done the Princess 3 times, so I have a general idea on what to expect (long walk to corrals there too) I'm going to book HoJo today and think about other options if needed. I'd love PP, but for the amount of one night there, I can have my whole HoJo paid for. :)

How many run the race?

Last year there were about 10,000 finishers. I don't know what the actual registration number was.

I can't believe the 1/2 is already 51% full! And people on the FB page were complaining about the race fees. So much for that being an issue.
I am not a runner, but for some reason have a real urge to do this...probably because of the beautiful medal!! HA. Maybe I'll start with the 5k...

Last year was my first, and now I'm addicted. I'm doing the W&D in Nov to earn the beautiful Coast to Coast medal. :)

I can't believe it's already at 51%. I won't be able to register if it's sold out before the 15th of July. I really want to run it, but if not I'll just wait for the next one. I started training today. For the first week I'll run 30 minutes, then add 15 minutes per week until I'm running 2.5 hours 3 times a week. Once I have the stamina, speed should come next. Today I ran just about 2 miles in 30 minutes, it wouldn't pass the APFT, but it was 9am rather than 6 and hot already.

Good job starting your training. The prices go up after July 17th, so you might have a shot, but who knows. Last year it did not fill up this fast. I would think inaugurals would fill up faster than a 2nd year. Wonder if the long weekend is allowing more people to participate.

I'm in! I freaked out over the 51%. LOL You locals don't mess around, huh?

I'll be going solo unless I can strong arm a running pal into coming with me. Totally excited. I've done the Princess 3 times, so I have a general idea on what to expect (long walk to corrals there too) I'm going to book HoJo today and think about other options if needed. I'd love PP, but for the amount of one night there, I can have my whole HoJo paid for. :)

I'm not a local, and I freaked out too. Wanted to hold off registering, but I'm not risking it!
I'm also at the HoJos, but we're really thinking about moving to the PP after the race. That way we can enjoy the shorter walks to the parks on our park days the following week.
DLR is pretty compact and most WDW'ers are surprised at how close everything is. The corrals were actually really nicely done I thought (of course it was my first 1/2). I can't quite picture how it would be coming from HoJos (we stayed at BW Stovalls right near PP last year), but I'm sure it'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter