I was prepared to buy some one day tickets to WDW from a reputable third party seller. I did not realize that I had to specify a date to use the tickets.
There is no discount from buying the tickets now versus buying them the morning we visit MK....but I wanted to maximize out time on arrival at MK and did not want to waste time buying tickets. If I buy them now,
1. I can put them on MDE and will figure out how to get them loaded onto their Magicbands.

So, the problem is this:
2. If we pick a date to assign the tickets and the weather is really bad that day, we would opt to visit the next day...
1. That's not a "thing." Once tickets are in your MDX account,
they are automatically accessed by any MB that you own or may purchase.
2. Ticket dates can be changed, after being loaded into your MDX account.
(If the date to which you change the usage is a more expensive date than you originally chose, you will need to pay the up-charge difference.)

Last edited:
1. That's not a "thing." Once tickets are in your MDX account,
they are automatically accessed by any MB that you own or may purchase.
2. Ticket dates can be changed, after being loaded into your MDX account.
(If the date to which you change the usage is a more expensive date than you originally chose, you will need to pay the up-charge difference.)
All good news. Sounds like I can buy the tickets now with an assigned date, go into MDE and assign the tickets there. Then, if the date I set for the tickets looks like inclement weather, I would just need to go online prior to Midnight the night before (I will assign the date of January 30), so I have until 11:59 PM on the 29th to change the dates to the 31st......does that all sound correct????? And the date would be changed in MDE, correct???

All good news. Sounds like I can buy the tickets now with an assigned date, go into MDE and assign the tickets there. Then, if the date I set for the tickets looks like inclement weather, I would just need to go online prior to Midnight the night before (I will assign the date of January 30), so I have until 11:59 PM on the 29th to change the dates to the 31st......does that all sound correct????? And the date would be changed in MDE, correct???
Not sure about your exact clock times to make the changes, but you have the correct idea.

The principle concern with some massively busy dates is that the later you wait, the less
may be the availability of a given park to change to a given date(s.)

Is this a "good and versatile" system for guests?
Well,

I vote no.

Last edited:
Having a ticket is only part of the equation. Keep in mind that a "ticket" does not equate to a "theme park reservation" and in addition to the ticket you will also need a theme park reservation to enter a park. Right now I don't think those dates are particularly at-risk of "selling out" of park reservations but you'd want to keep an eye on things. That is the primary risk of a last-minute date change.

Having a ticket is only part of the equation. Keep in mind that a "ticket" does not equate to a "theme park reservation" and in addition to the ticket you will also need a theme park reservation to enter a park. Right now I don't think those dates are particularly at-risk of "selling out" of park reservations but you'd want to keep an eye on things. That is the primary risk of a last-minute date change.
Yes, I am aware of the reservation issue. I picked 1/30, as it shows a "2" or "3" out of a possible "10" for Park Attendance at MK......so it is a slower time. As soon as I buy the tickets, I will go in and make our reservation for 1/30....and hope that the weather is favorable, our travelers are able to arrive in FL in good shape and that all systems are go for the date we selected. This one day ticket deal where you have to specify a specific date is crap.....but.....I realize the WDW needs to control crowd attendance and this is a way to do it.

The value of the 1-day ticket is not "lost" if you end up not using it. It just isn't as easy to upgrade (change dates) without CM assistance either in-person or by phone. An unused ticket will always retain it's value towards a new ticket.

I think the park reservation system is more "crowd control" than dated tickets, which have been in place for several years now.

Yes, I am aware of the reservation issue. I picked 1/30, as it shows a "2" or "3" out of a possible "10" for Park Attendance at MK......so it is a slower time. As soon as I buy the tickets, I will go in and make our reservation for 1/30....and hope that the weather is favorable, our travelers are able to arrive in FL in good shape and that all systems are go for the date we selected. This one day ticket deal where you have to specify a specific date is crap.....but.....I realize the WDW needs to control crowd attendance and this is a way to do it.
PS one day tickets are usually less expensive if bought directly from Disney, so be sure to compare prices on the MDE website (go all the way to where it shows price including tax) and the authorized reseller you plan to buy from. You might save some money, and if you buy through MDE you can link the tickets to people in your MDE F&F list very easily!

The value of the 1-day ticket is not "lost" if you end up not using it. It just isn't as easy to upgrade (change dates) without CM assistance either in-person or by phone. An unused ticket will always retain it's value towards a new ticket.

I think the park reservation system is more "crowd control" than dated tickets, which have been in place for several years now.
So, if you buy a ticket the morning you are going, you don't have a park reservation. Do they ever suspend ticket sales at 8 AM if the park is anticipated to be full that day? Again, January 30 is predicted to be a slow day at MK. Also, if you buy a ticket the morning you are going, how does that ticket get linked to your Magicband???

I am still undecided whether to buy now or buy that morning at the ticket window.

You can walk-up and buy a ticket, and the ticket agent will help link to your MDE. However I suggest purchasing it through MDE at home before arriving even if just that morning. Last I knew, a ticket purchased "at the gate" carries an extra $20 surcharge vs the same ticket purchased online at the same time. If the parks are "full" for theme park reservations, WDW will suspend ticket sales (I believe there are currently some dates at year-end in this situation). That is likely to be apparent in advance and probably unlikely for late January.

Once you have the ticket you'll need to make a theme park reservation because that is not automatic with ticket purchase. The theme park reservation is still required to enter the park even if you just purchased the ticket moments earlier at the window. Tickets are not park-specific, so for example you could walk-up and buy a ticket at MK but theme park reservations are only available at Epcot that day. So if you want until the last minute to purchase tickets, it is recommended to check theme park reservation availability before you buy.

Keep in mind that if you plan to use Genie+ you will want to have tickets (and park reservations) in your MDE before 7am. But that is optional.

You can walk-up and buy a ticket, and the ticket agent will help link to your MDE. However I suggest purchasing it through MDE at home before arriving even if just that morning. Last I knew, a ticket purchased "at the gate" carries an extra $20 surcharge vs the same ticket purchased online at the same time. If the parks are "full" for theme park reservations, WDW will suspend ticket sales (I believe there are currently some dates at year-end in this situation). That is likely to be apparent in advance and probably unlikely for late January.

Once you have the ticket you'll need to make a theme park reservation because that is not automatic with ticket purchase. The theme park reservation is still required to enter the park even if you just purchased the ticket moments earlier at the window. Tickets are not park-specific, so for example you could walk-up and buy a ticket at MK but theme park reservations are only available at Epcot that day. So if you want until the last minute to purchase tickets, it is recommended to check theme park reservation availability before you buy.

Keep in mind that if you plan to use Genie+ you will want to have tickets (and park reservations) in your MDE before 7am. But that is optional.
Last question....I promise.....if we buy tickets today online, specify Jan 30 as the usage date, and for whatever reason, we can't use the tickets on that day, do they expire or can the date be adjusted, say, for a family member coming in March....ie, are the tickets transferable on MDE???

Last question....I promise.....if we buy tickets today online, specify Jan 30 as the usage date, and for whatever reason, we can't use the tickets on that day,
1. do they expire or
2. can the date be adjusted, say, for a family member coming in March...
3. .ie, are the tickets transferable on MDE???
1. Not on Jan. 30 (but they will become unusable, as-is, within about 8-14 months following purchase date.)
2. Very likely, within that time frame.
3. Never-used tickets can be transferred.

1. Not on Jan. 30 (but they will become unusable, as-is, within about 8-14 months following purchase date.)
2. Very likely, within that time frame.
3. Never-used tickets can be transferred.
Not a question, but a statement of understanding: I can go online today, buy some one day tickets, assign a date of January 30, put them into MDE for each respective ticket holder and if we can't use them on the 30th, as long as I go in by midnight of the 29th, I can assign a new day. I can also go in the make park reservations for each one day ticket I purchase. And if I do not assign a new day and do not us them on the 30th, they will still be good for roughly 8 - 14 months.

Did I get this correct???????

Not a question, but a statement of understanding:
1. I can go online today, buy some one day tickets, assign a date of January 30, put them into MDE for each respective ticket holder
and if we can't use them on the 30th,
2. as long as I go in by midnight of the 29th, I can assign a new day.
3. I can also go in the make park reservations for each one day ticket I purchase.
4. And if I do not assign a new day and do not us them on the 30th, they will still be good for roughly 8 - 14 months.
1. Yes.
2. I don't know if you need to do that before midnight on the 29th. I think you can change the use date on unused tickets at any time that ticket has not yet "fully expired**".
3. Park reservations can be made (and changed) as long as the park you wish to visit still has open reservations for the desired date.
4. My (rough) estimate of 8-14 months is from the date of ticket purchase until that
ticket becomes "fully expired**".

** The date that a ticket becomes "fully expired" can be obtained from the seller at the time of purchase.
Even if a ticket does remain unused past its "fully expired" date, that ticket's original value can still be used by the guest toward purchasing a NEW ticket for use on a future trip.

I wanted to add an extra day to our 6 day theme park tickets. I thought they used to be able to do this at the resorts but they could not when I asked them. I had to wait in line at the ticket window for just about forever on the next to last day of our trip - I wasn't sure if I could still add a day if I went through the turnstile and used the 6th day of my 6 day day ticket. No one I asked was sure so I took the sure route and waited in the ticket line.

In any case I suggest making ticket changes at the ticket window later in the day when no one is there! I would have but we didn't decide to add the extra day until late in our trip.

I wanted to add an extra day to our 6 day theme park tickets. I thought they used to be able to do this at the resorts but they could not when I asked them. I had to wait in line at the ticket window for just about forever on the next to last day of our trip -
1. I wasn't sure if I could still add a day if I went through the turnstile and used the 6th day of my 6 day day ticket.
2. No one I asked was sure...
3. so I took the sure route and waited in the ticket line.
4. In any case I suggest making ticket changes at the ticket window later in the day when no one is there!
1. You can do so. You can upgrade as late as close-of-business ON the day that you use a ticket's last asset.
(If not, you could not decide to add a day or more to a one-day ticket after you where already inside a park.)
2. Not a bit surprising, I'm afraid.
3. Well, at least you did get to add the day.
4. Yup. (That's why I specifically mentioned "as late as close-of-business" in my #1 response above.)

We have a 4 day hopper and booked days 1, 2 3 and 4 with 1 1st date of ticket. I also booked park reservations. If day 3 we don't ever use the ticket/park reservation can we still use the ticket on day 5? Or do we have to "move" day 3 to 5 prior to day3?

If when we arrive day1 and end up not using the ticket we can call or go to guest services day 2 and move the ticket forward? My dh sucks at planning so I am trying to understand my options. He will be golfing and may/maynot want to go into a park. Yet I wont know until he decides :rolleyes:

Came back to add it is next week so park reservations are not guaranteed. If it was a quiet time of year I would book park pass right when we needed it.
Thanks

You will need to make a new park reservation for the new date. As long as the new day remains within the original valid use window (4-day tickets are valid for 7 days from the designated start date), there is no need to adjust anything on the tickets. It is the theme park reservation that may trip you up depending on availability. I recommend you settle the plans as soon as possible so you can keep checking for theme park availability.

You will need to make a new park reservation for the new date. As long as the new day remains within the original valid use window (4-day tickets are valid for 7 days from the designated start date), there is no need to adjust anything on the tickets. It is the theme park reservation that may trip you up depending on availability. I recommend you settle the plans as soon as possible so you can keep checking for theme park availability.
Thanks! Wish me luck lol.

I have an AP and will hit the parks while he golfs. I hate wasting a ticket but if he wants to go to EPCOT to walk around well I need a ticket and reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter