• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A. Going back to whether to use your ticket first to get a better price, my son bought a UT ticket in February before the ticket increase for 2018.
B .He went to EPCOT in June 2018, entered the park and came back out to the ticket center and converted to an annual pass and was given credit for the ticket price as of that day
C. not the undiscounted price when purchased from UT.
D. Maybe it was a generous employee working at the ticket booth.
A. Has no negative nor positive affect on an upgrade.
B. Sounds fine, but it should not matter either way.
C. Correct procedure is NOT to offer "the undiscounted price when purchased from UT."
Correct procedure is to offer the guest the on-line posted full DISNEY price
that was in effect on the date the discounter bought the ticket from Disney.
D. Just standard correct procedure (assuming that the ticket price that day was the same
as I mentioned in "C" above.)

Reports have been that the option to upgrade discounted tickets to AP has not been possible except when the guest has arrived at WDW.
The (very glitchy) app and website rules can be in constant change, so anything may be possible (or not.)

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the safer bet is to buy the AP now and just activate in January.

Going back to whether to use your ticket first to get a better price, my son bought a UT ticket in February before the ticket increase for 2018. He went to EPCOT in June 2018, entered the park and came back out to the ticket center and converted to an annual pass and was given credit for the ticket price as of that day not the undiscounted price when purchased from UT. Maybe it was a generous employee working at the ticket booth.

I looked back at some old threads on another board to see if I was loosing my mind or if, in fact, I remembered correctly about using the ticket first. The information in those threads suggested that if you went to upgrade before using the ticket you would only be given the discount price and if used it first you would be given the current price. These threads were from 2017 so I wasn't sure if there was a change. In any event I would take what Robo says as to how it should be handled and then hope for a generous CM.

I looked back at some old threads on another board to see if I was loosing my mind or if, in fact, I remembered correctly about using the ticket first. The information in those threads suggested that if you went to upgrade before using the ticket you would only be given the discount price and if used it first you would be given the current price. These threads were from 2017 so I wasn't sure if there was a change. In any event I would take what Robo says as to how it should be handled and then hope for a generous CM.

I have an issue with the idea to "hope for a generous CM."

What you DO want is a well-trained trained and competent CM.
If you encounter a CM who gives the wrong info and price, you have the option to nicely decline the offer and
go elsewhere for the transaction.

I have an issue with the idea to "hope for a generous CM."

What you DO want is a well-trained trained and competent CM.
If you encounter a CM who gives the wrong info and price, you have the option to nicely decline the offer and
go elsewhere for the transaction.

I'll stand by my comment, which was a little tongue-in-cheek. If I go to Guest Relations and they tell me the ticket is worth the current price I'm supposed to go to a different CM? I can politely ask the CM if that is correct procedure but I'm not going to argue that it can't be true because I saw it on the internet. With all due respect, I take you for your word on proper procedure, but I don't know for certain its correct due to my past experience with upgrading tickets.

Robo

thanks for your help. I guess it wouldn't hurt to enter the park and then try to upgrade. What would I have to lose. One question though on your response. How would I know what the price was when the discounter bought the ticket from Disney which in most cases would be the Disney price before any increase if that is how UT is marketing it. My UT confirmation is for a quantity of 2 and has a Reservation # and Ticket Code.

<snip>
3. No, that's not what I was trying to say.
The value when upgrading a discounted ticket is the PUBLISHED ON-LINE DISNEY VALUE
(what the ticket would cost if you bought it on-line directly from Disney) for that same kind of ticket
on the date that the discounter's ticket was minted (printed) by Disney.
4. I will try to keep links in post #6 of this thread to the published on-line Disney value of tickets
related to the dates when thickets were minted.

Most excellent. Thanks for clearing up my confusion. And thanks again for sorting all of us out on a daily basis! :thumbsup2

You can always try.
-or-
If the tickets are in your MDX account, you can try making "test FPs" and see how many days worth of FP can be booked.

Thanks Robo. I did email but maybe if I get some time I'll try calling. The tickets are old and details worn but I think I managed to finally get it to show all the necessary details for the email. I don't really want to link it since we often get AP's and I just don't want to get into a situation were I have to try and get entitlements back if the wrong ones were used. I do have to get it exchanged for an RFID stock though - just hoped to find out exactly what was left now rather than later.

Robo

thanks for your help.
1. I guess it wouldn't hurt to enter the park and then try to upgrade. What would I have to lose. One question though on your response.
2. How would I know what the price was when the discounter bought the ticket from Disney which in most cases would be the Disney price before any increase if that is how UT is marketing it. My UT confirmation is for a quantity of 2 and has a Reservation # and Ticket Code.

1. Can't hurt.
2, You could contact the discounter directly and inquire.
You'd provide the discounter (UT) with the numbers, if/when they specifically ask for them.

I just learned about the UT Ticket Calculator. Reserve Direct came up as the cheapest option, but I noticed it said I'd have to pick up my tickets at Will Call. So no ticket numbers to be able to link to MDE before hand? Thanks!

They send you a E-Ticket with a number to link your tickets to MDE and then you pick up hard tickets at any of the parks.

So I was just about to get myself a new annual pass after not having had one for years and I ran into some confusion. The Disney site says that to get your annual pass voucher at will call (it did not list an option for mailing it) you have to bring ID as well as the card used to purchase the AP. My debit card expires in the next few months, and I wouldn't be actually going until next year, so I wanted to check and see if I needed to hold onto my expired card, or what the procedure was. The CM told me to just hold onto the expired card and bring it, which is fine, but here's the real issue. I repeated this info to him:

"After the new AP is activated, the AP will NOT actually start its year of counting down UNTIL the guest actually goes through a park gate using that new AP.
The date that the AP holder goes into a park with the AP for the first time will then become the AP's Anniversary Date and the new AP will then be valid until the end of the day on that same date, one year later."

and asked if that was correct - that if I purchased the voucher now my AP start date wouldn't be until I actually enter the parks. He said No, it's from the date of purchase.

Well... not buying it now then. I'd like to get it before ticket prices increase, but won't be going and wasn't planning on activating until 2020. Can anyone confirm or deny this info? I may call back and see if I get a different answer from someone else.

So I was just about to get myself a new annual pass after not having had one for years and I ran into some confusion. The Disney site says that
1. to get your annual pass voucher at will call (it did not list an option for mailing it) you have to bring ID as well as the card used to purchase the AP. My debit card expires in the next few months, and I wouldn't be actually going until next year, so
2. I wanted to check and see if I needed to hold onto my expired card, or what the procedure was.
3. The CM told me to just hold onto the expired card and bring it, which is fine, but here's the real issue. I repeated this info to him:
4. "After the new AP is activated, the AP will NOT actually start its year of counting down UNTIL the guest actually goes through a park gate using that new AP.
The date that the AP holder goes into a park with the AP for the first time will then become the AP's Anniversary Date and the new AP will then be valid until the end of the day on that same date, one year later."
and asked if that was correct - that if I purchased the voucher now my AP start date wouldn't be until I actually enter the parks.
5. He said No, it's from the date of purchase.

6. Well... not buying it now then. I'd like to get it before ticket prices increase, but won't be going and wasn't planning on activating until 2020.
7. Can anyone confirm or deny this info?
8. I may call back and see if I get a different answer from someone else.
1. Not required.
2. No.
3. Not necessary at all.
4. Correct.
5. 100% WRONG.
6. Ignore procedural information from most "phone CMs."
They are not trained in actual correct procedures. (But they DO love to make up their own!)
7. You can even book FP+ in advance using just your unactivated AP certificate when it is connected to your MyDisneyExperience account.
And, it is simply not possible to activate an AP unless you are physically AT the gates of WDW.
8. There's no need to call again. If you want to buy a new AP tonight, you can do so confidently.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reassurance, Robo! So is will call the only way to get my voucher? There's nothing I physically have on my end? I feel like when I had one years ago they mailed me a little ticket-like voucher that I had to trade in, but that was long before magic bands, so I don't know.

Thank you so much for the reassurance, Robo! So is will call the only way to get my voucher? There's nothing I physically have on my end? I feel like when I had one years ago they mailed me a little ticket-like voucher that I had to trade in, but that was long before magic bands, so I don't know.

If you want something mailed to you, I guess you can do that.
If you have (and you SHOULD HAVE) a MyDisneyExperience account, the new AP will "show up" in it if you order your AP
via that MDX. (Or, you can manually add the confirmation number to MDX, if you like.)
You will still need to visit any ticket booth or Guest Relations or Will Call window with your photo ID before you go to a park gate for
the first time using the AP. You will get your "AP card" that is used for discounts, etc. (and can be used instead of a MagicBand
if you want to.)
After that one stop, you are ready that same day, or any day thereafter, to go to any park gate and enter.
At that time your AP will "activate" (and your new finger-scan will be recorded) and you'll be good for the next year.

??

I bought tix from undercovertourist, great deal.. 6 days for the price of 4 ( no hopper option). I will be park touring for 5 days. I was wondering can I use two of my days in one? Meaning if in the morning I want to go to AK, then at night go to EPCOT, 2 days of my tix will be used correct? Is this allowed? Or can I only use one tix a day as I did not purchase park hopper.

TIA! Hope that was clear as mud :=)

??

I bought tix from undercovertourist, great deal.. 6 days for the price of 4 ( no hopper option). I will be park touring for 5 days. I was wondering can I use two of my days in one? Meaning if in the morning I want to go to AK, then at night go to EPCOT, 2 days of my tix will be used correct? Is this allowed? Or can I only use one tix a day as I did not purchase park hopper.

TIA! Hope that was clear as mud :=)

Sorry, but that is definitely not allowed. You must have park hopper or an AP to visit two different parks on the same day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter