• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Those Partially Vaccinated for Covid...

I’m sorry you got it! But glad you’re feeling ok so far. Any idea where you caught it?

I believe I know where it came from yes. I thought I was being careful, but I guess I was not careful enough. We all 3 started showing symptoms at the same time and we were all 3 at the same place at the same time. My DH is fully vaccinated as is his mother... they have not been sick. When the 2 fully vaccinated people didn't get sick and the rest of us did.... the handwriting was pretty much on the wall.

I'm not sure any Canadian jurisdiction is giving AZ to people over 65, based on concerns about efficacy. It's not about priorities - it's strictly due to supply issues, which are faced by our entire nation right now. But you might know that, you're Canadian, right?

They are starting 60-69 tomorrow here in SW Ontario at Pharmacies. Pfizer & Moderna at Clinics.

They are starting 60-69 tomorrow here in SW Ontario at Pharmacies. Pfizer & Moderna at Clinics.

Go go go Ontario! You can do it! We got 6 cases since Saturday in Nova Scotia, all travelers and their contacts. Although seriously if my husband came home and might have covid, I would stick him in the basement for 2 weeks. These close contacts really take chances.

I think Ontario is bound to have a harder time of it since there is still so much cross-border traffic with Michigan and New York. Last I saw, daily crossings were at about 40% of normal, but that's still tens of thousands of crossings every day between the tunnel and the two bridges, one of which is in the county with the dubious distinction of being the worst county in the worst state in the union for covid cases at the moment. Those trips being "essential" traffic doesn't mean the virus is less able to hitch a ride, you know?

Yes I can only imagine. All of those people would normally go into quarantine and just based on our numbers in Nova Scotia, lots of people come home with it. Sometimes they only contracted while in transit.

Yes, I am. And yes, they're saying the Pfizer and Moderna are significantly more effective for people over 65, and since those are the people who are more likely to have a serious case they are the only ones getting them in Nova Scotia until there is more available. The AstraZeneca is only available now because SA decided it wouldn't use it because it's not as effective against the SA strain...which is their predominant strain of course.
It's interesting that there are so many different vaccines...

In trials, we know that the vaccines are 95%ish effective over the few months the trial ran. We don't yet know if that number will go down over time or when a decline might begin, if ever. But even if we could get to 100% vaccination in the US, that 5% failure rate would translate to about 16 million new cases in vaccinated people in the months following vaccination. If the rate is higher for variants, or if effectiveness declines over time, that number will be even bigger. It really is quite discouraging.
That’s not exactly what vaccine efficacy means - it’s not a 5% failure rate where we could have 16 million cases per year. To have those numbers we’d have to have 100% spread without the vaccine. The efficacy means the reduction in wild spread is 95%. I.e. if the virus were to infect 5% of the population without a vaccine, the vaccine would reduce that to 0.25%.

This is one of my worst fears. I have been isolating more since my first shot than I did before it. I still have a couple weeks until my second shot. Having had one death in my extended family already, and another member currently in a hospital on life support, I just want to get to the point where I shouldn’t end up in the hospital if I get sick.

ETA - my cousin on life support passed away this morning.
I'm so sorry for your family's losses. :grouphug:

I was the same way the closer I got to being vaccinated, and even more so right after, waiting to get the second shot. I was paranoid about catching it at the finish line.

It's not covid if she doesn't have symptoms. Covid is symptomatic disease. She tested positive for coronavirus. That's all.

To correct the mis information

Source for this information is The World Health Organization

COVID-19 is the disease caused by a new coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2

You may become infected, even if you feel well and don't have symptoms

Cautionary tale... you CAN get Covid after just one dose.

I managed to pull of something really stupid. I got my first Pfizer dose almost 3 weeks ago. My 2nd and final dose was supposed to be tomorrow. However, I have Covid now, so my second vaccination has been pushed to sometime later on this month.

I don't know if a partial vaccine helped minimize the effects on me or what, because I literally do not even feel that bad. I am on estimating day 9 right now, the only thing I seem to experience is intermittent headaches that are basically at the level of just being annoying, never had a fever to reach 100 the entire time. Unfortunately I have lost my sense of smell and taste, and I truly do miss those. Things seemed to start last Sunday with a bit of a cough that I just brushed off as nothing. Last Monday I felt pretty lousy, I felt very unmotivated all day, and was stuffy for a couple days that week...but nothing more than you might feel with spring allergies (which that is what I thought it was). Both of my step-daughters tested positive and they are doing OK, they didn't get very sick. I got tested because one of them tested positive, then the other positive, and sure enough I was positive too.

Sorry to hear. What state are you in if I may ask? We didn't get our second yet, getting in 2 weeks. At least you didn't get bad and I did read the first shot is suppose to help some.

This is one of my worst fears. I have been isolating more since my first shot than I did before it. I still have a couple weeks until my second shot. Having had one death in my extended family already, and another member currently in a hospital on life support, I just want to get to the point where I shouldn’t end up in the hospital if I get sick.

ETA - my cousin on life support passed away this morning.

So very sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences..

To correct the mis information

Source for this information is The World Health Organization

COVID-19 is the disease caused by a new coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2

You may become infected, even if you feel well and don't have symptoms

Sigh. Infection =/= disease. Infection, scientifically, means a pathogen has entered your body and begun multiplying. That's all.

Disease is a state of bodily disorder PRODUCING SIGNS OR SYMPTOMS.

A positive test means you are infected. Symtoms mean you "have COVID-19."

Nothing is 100%. After the first shot, you are about 80% protected, after the second about 95%. We all knew this and it should not be a surprise. The more people that get the vaccine, the better.

Sorry to hear. What state are you in if I may ask? We didn't get our second yet, getting in 2 weeks. At least you didn't get bad and I did read the first shot is suppose to help some.
I live in Indiana. I got the shot on the first day I was eligible back in March. At this point, I am considered to be "recovered" I guess. The Dr. said I was to quarantine until April 8. I seem to be regaining my sense of smell just slightly. I cannot tell if anything else going on is covid lingering, or seasonal allergies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter