This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

Didn't they introduce all of the EMHs because of the economy crash? Maybe they are trying to fill the coffers as much as they can then they will just cut them and reintroduce EMH when the economy sucks. We will see a "WE LISTENED AND BROUGHT BACK EMH!" ad.
They actually cut EMH when the economy crashed after 9/11. They said "due to guest surveys" we're eliminating EHM and replacing it with Disney characters who'll greet you in the mornings at your resort as you head off to the parks. Didn't work and occupancy levels continued to decline. At some point, EMH returned.

If my memory is still sort of functioning, I believe the first form of EHM started after Disney-MGM Studios opened in 1989. The park was such a big hit and it only had about 5 attractions/shows when it first opened. Disney started to offer their resort guests the ability to enter the park several hours before non-resort guests. I believe there was also some type of early entry or extended hours during the 20th anniversary in 1991.

Very sad for us. My family will enjoy our last Disney trip this summer, at least for the next few years. It was fun while it lasted. There is a big world out there and we'll just spend our vacations dollars elsewhere. I hope that Disney finds the target customers they are looking for, that's just not us anymore.
I think it’s safe to say they have them & will get even more with SWGE opening. There are some who will be unhappy & stop going, but I doubt it will noticeable at all.

Its not confirmed, and some folks have looked at the October calendar as supporting information to it being true.

In my mind, the October change could have something to do with Star Wars being open. One would think they might be moving staff resources to DHS for evenings during that time. Can't help but wonder if that is a factor in some of this.

So what I'm suggesting is that lost hours at MK might be made up at DHS.
I could see them fearing that EMH at MK might be undersubscribed during the opening months of Star Wars.

But it doesn’t change the fact that they are now pretty much worthless so why are ppl whining about a “perk” they no longer like or want?

Just because it's not a perk you take advantage does not mean that stance applies to everyone. It has not been 'worthless' to my family, especially during party season when it has provided us an opportunity to enjoy extra time in MK at night.

There are a lot of perks I don't take advantage of because they are not of interest or value to me, but I respect the fact that others may enjoy or benefit from them. Magical Express, for example, is something we don't utilize because we drive to Disney World. But, if it went away, or starting coming with an extra charge, I would appreciate how that impacts people that have always counted on that, and empathize with them if it negatively impacts their vacation.

I definitely would not come on here and accuse them of 'whining'.

It’s made to seem as a negative. Some ppl have flat out blamed those of us who choose to spend our $ on these things as the reason the “free” perks no longer exist for them. This might be true, but everyone has an equal opportunity to purchase these add-one as well. There’s also no guarantee that Disney would keep the free perks.
I think the thing is if you see it as "I choose to spend my money on X, you could do the same" you kinda miss out on the root issue.

The feelings people have is taking something that used to be available to those staying onsite (EMH) and while they removed that barrier of having to be onsite with doing DAH they did it at a hefty cost. I remember when DAH first started it was not well attended nor as received because it was so new and they didn't do much announcing before they started it.

Now as more and more people attend there's more urge to have more dates, stretching out throughout the year what once used to be limited to a small portion of the year. Less opportunities for EMH to begin with. Call it a vicious cycle if you will. The more people seek out the potentially less crowded events at nighttime the more limitations will be placed on the average park goer.

The same can be said for the parties. It keeps getting earlier and earlier. This can and does negatively impact people. I don't care what you personally choose to spend your money on but if collectively enough people do xyz it pushes the acceptance there which adds fuel to the fire. I've always been about pay whatever you want when it's not so overt (like the MK tents) or impedes on your average park guest and the changes done in recent times with the parties and DAH do impact your average park goer.

The time slots of DAH means park closing time can be earlier too. Park hours used to be longer for just the average park goer though it's been great that AK's time was extended past 5 or 6pm like the olden days was . But if DAH starts at 10pm there's no opportunity to have park hours be later than that. And it may in the future start earlier than 10pm if demand for that extends. MK parties have already started the 6pm close vs 7pm close.

It's not really about free perks TBH because some of the ramifications of DAH affects your average park goer. Though yes park hours were never guaranteed :)

But it doesn’t change the fact that they are now pretty much worthless so why are ppl whining about a “perk” they no longer like or want?
I actually like EMH and still want it and am one of the supposedly few on these boards that plans my trip around it so I can go to it and not avoid it. I don't want to pay more and don't like that Disney has created a situation to make it "worthless" for so many to the point that they are willing to shell out what seems like an unlimited amount of $$$ to make it "worth" it again. People can pay whatever they want, it is capitalistic supply and demand, but it increases the costs OR reduces the experience for those who cannot or do not want to pay more.

I think it’s safe to say they have them & will get even more with SWGE opening. There are some who will be unhappy & stop going, but I doubt it will noticeable at all.
Yup, the more I think about this the less upset I become. Disney has been our main vacation trip since 2014, this will be our 5th Disney family vacation, we keep saying we need to vacation elsewhere but just can't leave Disney. Thanks Disney for letting us see what else the world has to offer.

Removing EMH isn't the main reason, mainly the overcrowding trying to force us to pay for extras.

The entire society is driven by profit motive and bottom line -- it turns out Gordon Gecko was more a prophecy than a warning. It's sad for all of us, but expecting WDW to behave in ways the rest of the society doesn't is perhaps a higher standard than they deserve in either good or bad ways.

I have seen this position in many various forms brought up in response to several recent Disney changes. Yes TWDC is obviously a corporation just like any other and the management certainly has a responsibility to maximize their shareholders earnings. However, the shareholders should also hold the company accountable when it prioritizes short term profits at the expense of brand loyalty and long-term strategies. WDW has long traded on consumers loyalty and sentiment. If they want to go away from it that is certainly within their right, but I would argue that is a mistake. Many people choose to go to WDW based on the emotions associated with that experience. But if those same loyal customers feel like a company is gouging them just because "they can" it will turn quickly.

Someone mentioned sports and in our city we have one of the most beloved franchises anywhere in the country. But even they have started to wear on the core fan base with constant ticket increases, astronomical food/beverage increases, and unwillingness to spend money because of a focus on profits. Yes they are still claiming to sell most of the tickets but the stadium is often half empty now. How much effort will it take to get those people back? And how much lost revenue is there on a nightly basis because of missing fans? Those are billion dollar question.

In my mind, the October change could have something to do with Star Wars being open. One would think they might be moving staff resources to DHS for evenings during that time. Can't help but wonder if that is a factor in some of this.

And, the cynic in me responds to that by wondering why they would only be shifting resources from MK on the 'free' nights and not the 'upcharge' party nights. Couldn't those same resources that have been freed up on Wednesday also be made available on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday by cancelling the Halloween Party on those nights.

It does seem odd that if this is true, they would keep Epcot EMH and cut MK. I hope it’s not true. I will definitely rethink the trip I was considering. It’s a small thing but one that really matters to me at least

Just because it's not a perk you take advantage does not mean that stance applies to everyone. It has not been 'worthless' to my family, especially during party season when it has provided us an opportunity to enjoy extra time in MK at night.

There are a lot of perks I don't take advantage of because they are not of interest or value to me, but I respect the fact that others may enjoy or benefit from them. Magical Express, for example, is something we don't utilize because we drive to Disney World. But, if it went away, or starting coming with an extra charge, I would appreciate how that impacts people that have always counted on that, and empathize with them if it negatively impacts their vacation.

I definitely would not come on here and accuse them of 'whining'.
We actually did enjoy EMH although not recently. But, the last time we did they were crowded & had longer lines than during the day b/c there were no FPs. Many ppl have expressed for a while that they have almost become worthless. The pp pointed out that this has been a theme on the board lately. So I was asking why are ppl complaining (if you prefer that word) about a “perk” they no longer find valuable.

I think the thing is if you see it as "I choose to spend my money on X, you could do the same" you kinda miss out on the root issue.

The feelings people have is taking something that used to be available to those staying onsite (EMH) and while they removed that barrier of having to be onsite with doing DAH they did it at a hefty cost. I remember when DAH first started it was not well attended nor as received because it was so new and they didn't do much announcing before they started it.

Now as more and more people attend there's more urge to have more dates, stretching out throughout the year what once used to be limited to a small portion of the year. Less opportunities for EMH to begin with. Call it a vicious cycle if you will. The more people seek out the potentially less crowded events at nighttime the more limitations will be placed on the average park goer.

The same can be said for the parties. It keeps getting earlier and earlier. This can and does negatively impact people. I don't care what you personally choose to spend your money on but if collectively enough people do xyz it pushes the acceptance there which adds fuel to the fire. I've always been about pay whatever you want when it's not so overt (like the MK tents) or impedes on your average park guest and the changes done in recent times with the parties and DAH do impact your average park goer.

The time slots of DAH means park closing time can be earlier too. Park hours used to be longer for just the average park goer though it's been great that AK's time was extended past 5 or 6pm like the olden days was . But if DAH starts at 10pm there's no opportunity to have park hours be later than that. And it may in the future start earlier than 10pm if demand for that extends. MK parties have already started the 6pm close vs 7pm close.

It's not really about free perks TBH because some of the ramifications of DAH affects your average park goer. Though yes park hours were never guaranteed :)
I completely understand, but unfortunately it’s just how capitalism functions. If there are ppl willing to pay for something it’s less likely to be offered for free.

ETA: Our society functions like this with necessities (like healthcare) much less luxuries like vacation.

Last edited:
I have seen this position in many various forms brought up in response to several recent Disney changes. Yes TWDC is obviously a corporation just like any other and the management certainly has a responsibility to maximize their shareholders earnings. However, the shareholders should also hold the company accountable when it prioritizes short term profits at the expense of brand loyalty and long-term strategies. WDW has long traded on consumers loyalty and sentiment. If they want to go away from it that is certainly within their right, but I would argue that is a mistake. Many people choose to go to WDW based on the emotions associated with that experience. But if those same loyal customers feel like a company is gouging them just because "they can" it will turn quickly.

Someone mentioned sports and in our city we have one of the most beloved franchises anywhere in the country. But even they have started to wear on the core fan base with constant ticket increases, astronomical food/beverage increases, and unwillingness to spend money because of a focus on profits. Yes they are still claiming to sell most of the tickets but the stadium is often half empty now. How much effort will it take to get those people back? And how much lost revenue is there on a nightly basis because of missing fans? Those are billion dollar question.

People always like to bring up the “it’s a business, its their job to make the most profit they can”, while that is very true, people almost always forget about how charging so much for a product, can lead to a perception of greed that does in fact turn people away from your consumer. One can argue that winning a consumer back after you lost them because of that percption, might be harder than winning them because of other reasons.

It doesn’t help the perception of greed when cuts are made to the overall product, while prices are increased. I think the vast majority understand, and even expect cuts when times are bad, but when we’re paying more than we ever have, and parks are more crowded than ever, then I expect the hours to be expanded and more things offered, not cut.

Short Term viewpoints are usually bad, and that’s the viewpoint disney is in now. As a consumer, and not as a stockholder, I am ready for Bob Iger to be gone from Disney

And, the cynic in me responds to that by wondering why they would only be shifting resources from MK on the 'free' nights and not the 'upcharge' party nights. Couldn't those same resources that have been freed up on Wednesday also be made available on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday by cancelling the Halloween Party on those nights.
Logic would suggest that since they are giving us a brand new mega million land, and potentially opening it early, and not upcharging for early access, that moving a resource that was providing service to an unpaid event, that it would be a wash.

The cynic in me tends to think they do this as a short term fix. Six months down the road it becomes the norm, and star wars is cut back to normal hours, and MK doesn't change back.

I do think there is a few underlying problems with Star Wars opening. I think we all expect it to be an overload. So there is some caution there.
I also think operationally, keeping MK open to 2am on a consistent basis creates some maintenance challenges.

I completely understand, but unfortunately it’s just how capitalism functions. If they are ppl willing to pay for something it’s less likely to be offered for free.
Right..but that is exactly what I said to begin with. That the more who opt for it the less likely the hours would be offered with no additional cost. That's exactly why people say "if people would stop buying it". I think the description of "blame" ruffles feathers and I get that though. It's really just a practical thing. Less people going=less demand=less liklihood of it impacting xyz.

It's not about judging what people choose to spend their disposable income on. Go spend it on the VIP tours for all I care. But if those VIP tours because what WDW was all about impacting the average guest more and more I'd have an issue with that lol.

WDWMagic is saying this rumor is incorrect.

That is based on a media contact. Not saying it is or isn't true but its still possible. It does appear there will be a change in October at least.

Believing those media contacts can get you very misled in many cases. Remember River Country, 20,000 Leagues, and Stitch are all opening back up real soon! They don’t like to admit to when they are removing things.

Because they want everything the way it was 18 years ago.
You don't need to go back 18 years to have that experience that people are "whining" about, that is part of the issue. One thing after another in rapid succession in the last 5 years or so to devalue the resort stay and reduce the experience of the regular ticket holder. And, for many, Disney has a huge emotional attachment, feelings of goodwill and family togetherness, that goes back generations. It is a business and they can do whatever they want, come or don't come, but it is simply not the same as buying gas, ice cream, and paying for meals and checked bags on an airplane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter