This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

You don't need to go back 18 years to have that experience that people are "whining" about, that is part of the issue. One thing after another in rapid succession in the last 5 years or so to devalue the resort stay and reduce the experience of the regular ticket holder. And, for many, Disney has a huge emotional attachment, feelings of goodwill and family togetherness, that goes back generations. It is a business and they can do whatever they want, come or don't come, but it is simply not the same as buying gas, ice cream, and paying for meals and checked bags on an airplane.

I just picked a random number.

Right..but that is exactly what I said to begin with. That the more who opt for it the less likely the hours would be offered with no additional cost. That's exactly why people say "if people would stop buying it". I think the description of "blame" ruffles feathers and I get that though. It's really just a practical thing. Less people going=less demand=less liklihood of it impacting xyz.

It's not about judging what people choose to spend their disposable income on. Go spend it on the VIP tours for all I care. But if those VIP tours because what WDW was all about impacting the average guest more and more I'd have an issue with that lol.
I don’t have a problem being “blamed” for it if we use the add-ons. My response is then you (collective) buy it too, don’t go, or go & be mad. The only thing I find interesting is the fact that this is where ppl draw the line when it comes to capitalism. Like I said, healthcare & other necessities function like this in our society & ppl often blame the victims for those lack of resources. But, when it affects their luxury vacation, then it’s a greedy corporation. I’m not disagreeing with what you said. Just elaborating on my point.

EMH nights is still one of the main reasons we stay at WDW resorts. We are not early birds, so we won't do early EMH. And no way I'm paying for the after hours events. It will be interesting to see if taking away EMH will lead to more people staying offsite.
this is still just MK though right? it still exists at EPCOT HS and AK?

The only little glimmer of hope I see about PM EMH at MK is that Disney added an additional AM EMH. If it truly wanted to cut all EMH for pure monetization, why not do it all at once including AMs and add more EMM at MK rather than AM EMH? I know the attractions are different, but that could be remedied easily. It just seems counterproductive.

The only little glimmer of hope I see about PM EMH at MK is that Disney added an additional AM EMH. If it truly wanted to cut all EMH for pure monetization, why not do it all at once including AMs and add more EMM at MK rather than AM EMH? I know the attractions are different, but that could be remedied easily. It just seems counterproductive.

They hardly ever do things "all at once". They usually do cut back on things slowly.

They already started the process when they cut EMH from 3 to 2 hours. To me this says the days of AM and PM Magic Hours are numbered.

I actually love the character of Gru and the first movie was good, but then it was just too much. I think it's something about the overall aesthetic choice Illumination uses, and I dunno. I can't quite place exactly what it is that prevents me from liking them a lot, heh. :P
Universal's Illuminattion makes their films for less than half the budget of Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar.

I don't like their stuff either, but we seem to be in the minority here. Illumination routinely beats Disney at the box office and are easily the most profitable animation studio on the planet right now.

Secret Life of Pets 2 is going to be a monster and I bet it outgrosses Toy Story 4 this summer.

The thinking in management to cut the hours from 3 to 2 probably went something like this...
Well there isn't a lot of people in the park in the last hour so lets just give the guests 2 hours and save some money...
So the very reason to give resort guests "low crowds" is seen as a cost burden. The whole purpose of the EMH's was to have low crowds so you can ride everything without waiting forever..
Now MK closes early so everyone needs the EMH's just to make a normal day and get there money's worth...not everyone can or will do rope drop or Morning EMH's

You slowly reduce because then people don’t notice as much. If they just cut them completely, there would be an uproar. Slowly cutting back avoids the boil point. They’ve already cut evening hours at Animal and Studios, so cutting Magic isn’t outrageous now. They can also still advertise it as a benefit since they offer them in the morning still and in the evening for Epcot.

You slowly reduce because then people don’t notice as much. If they just cut them completely, there would be an uproar. Slowly cutting back avoids the boil point. They’ve already cut evening hours at Animal and Studios, so cutting Magic isn’t outrageous now. They can also still advertise it as a benefit since they offer them in the morning still and in the evening for Epcot.
And such misleading advertising to resort guests it will be. Like FP + 60 days for resort guests (and all those "other" hotels in fine print). Especially misleading for those who book thinking it was the same as the last time they came. What do you mean no EMH in the evening for MK, AK, HS? And that one EMH at Epcot will be super crowded because it is the only "free" one for resort and good neighbor guests. Will there be a disclaimer about that? Maybe Disney wants to drive the resort people offsite?

the idea of going and stay at universal is making more sense. Universal is more expensive in my mind but the benefits for stay at the resorts are WAY better as a result so... its definitely an idea.

And such misleading advertising to resort guests it will be. Like FP + 60 days for resort guests (and all those "other" hotels in fine print). Especially misleading for those who book thinking it was the same as the last time they came. What do you mean no EMH in the evening for MK, AK, HS? And that one EMH at Epcot will be super crowded because it is the only "free" one for resort and good neighbor guests. Will there be a disclaimer about that? Maybe Disney wants to drive the resort people offsite?

Heaven forbid people do a modicum of research before believing every advertisement. You mean Mickey won't walk my kids hand-in-hand down Main Street every morning?

Heaven forbid people do a modicum of research before believing every advertisement. You mean Mickey won't walk my kids hand-in-hand down Main Street every morning?
I know you were trying to counter my point but you actually supported another. What you described is the warm and fuzzy image that Disney projects, but seems like they have taken a different path lately that puts profits exponentially above good will. Sooner or later their image will be tarnished and the days of Walt's Disney will be a memory and those commercials will no longer pull on people's heartstrings the way they once did.

Last edited:
We did an evening MK EMH on our last trip. The reason we found it disagreeable wasn't the crowds or the hours. It was the staff cuts. As one example, they had half the PoC line closed, and half the boats were going out empty. It more than doubled our wait time, and you couldn't tell from the line length. It was a pretty sour taste, and for what? Maybe three college program cast members for two hours?

Forgive me if it sounds like "whining," but that's a pretty self-created and artificial way to decrease the value of EMH.

We did an evening MK EMH on our last trip. The reason we found it disagreeable wasn't the crowds or the hours. It was the staff cuts. As one example, they had half the PoC line closed, and half the boats were going out empty. It more than doubled our wait time, and you couldn't tell from the line length. It was a pretty sour taste, and for what? Maybe three college program cast members for two hours?

Forgive me if it sounds like "whining," but that's a pretty self-created and artificial way to decrease the value of EMH.
No to be clear, I understand whining about it’s diminished value. I don’t understand whining about cutting out something that has a diminished value.

They hardly ever do things "all at once". They usually do cut back on things slowly.

They already started the process when they cut EMH from 3 to 2 hours. To me this says the days of AM and PM Magic Hours are numbered.

Very good points. I guess I would have thought Epcot could have been the first because what good are those PM EMH? I guess since there is not a DAH there (yet) there was nothing to funnel people to. Parties in MK just made it easier.

No to be clear, I understand whining about it’s diminished value. I don’t understand whining about cutting out something that has a diminished value.
I guess you missed all the posts about how EMH was reudced in length and amount, and that they have added tons of hotels both on property and nearby to those allowed to be there. Finally they started reducing staffing to inflate wait times at many attractions. Those are the reasons it has been devauled.

It was then that Disney started charging for what was once an onsite perk, and because they had already cheapened it, some onsite also felt the need to pay because they remember what EMH used to be, and now DAH offers that same thing, but for a price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter