• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

They now post how much the fine will be for parking in a handicap spot without tags

We have a lot of elderly people here in Orlando so handicapped parking spots are often at a premium. I've known of and seen/heard plenty of instances where people use their parents' placards or grandparents' ... it's out of control sometimes, I think. But I'm not sure what can often be done about that. I do remember a news item a couple of years ago about people using HC tags to park at the Daytona races and apparently lots of them were using tags that didn't really belong to them. They started matching ids to the placards when people pulled in to park and confiscating tags (I presume it was the police doing this).

The thing that drives me insane is people who think it's okay to park in between handicapped spots. When I have my scooter, we unload from the back of the van but it doesn't stop me from knowing that anyone who has a side lift or wheelchair can't get in or out if someone has selfishly parked in that marked off area. On a recent trip, I actually saw a National Park vehicle parked that way! When I reported it to the ranger on duty, her excuse for it was that the driver had had a lot of boxes to unload. Seriously? That makes it okay to block handicapped access? And there were plenty of regular parking places only a few feet further away. When I went back out, they'd moved the car, at least.

The ones that bother me is when someone parks in the handicapped spot and the passenger hops out and the driver stays in the vehicle. You can almost bet that the one who the tag is issued to is the one that stayed in the vehicle.

In Michigan if you are the one who the tag is issued to and you do not get out of the car, then you can not legally park there.

On a side note: can I ask for your source on this please? I just had this conversation with my Dad. This is what Michigan SOS website says :

"A vehicle must have a disability license plate or placard to legally park in a disability parking space. To be eligible for a disability license plate, the disability must be permanent. Disability license plates are issued to individuals with a disability, to a family member or caretaker living with a person with a disability or to facilities that serve and transport people with disabilities."

So a tag can be issued to a caretaker. But I don't see where they have to get out of the car.

I also found this brochure which lists what is illegal use:
http://michigan.gov/documents/disability_brochure_33616_7.pdf

But again I was not able to find anything about having to get out of the car.

I also found this as far as Florida (WDW) Do's and Don'ts and one of the Don'ts is the parking on the lines thing that has been mentioned.
http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/dosanddonts.html
According to this it is a 250.00 fine.

The ones that bother me is when someone parks in the handicapped spot and the passenger hops out and the driver stays in the vehicle. You can almost bet that the one who the tag is issued to is the one that stayed in the vehicle.

In Michigan if you are the one who the tag is issued to and you do not get out of the car, then you can not legally park there.

As others have said, just because a person looks fine, doesn't mean they are. My mom and I are both disabled. She is the one with the tag and walks better then I do most of the time, but she does need the tag since distances are an issue and she can be walking fine one minute and not the next. I should get a tag because of the risk of falling on the ice with my balance but so far haven't taken the steps needed.

It would probably fall under improper use or abuse the handicap parking. By the handicapped person staying in the vehicle, they have no use for the handicapped spot. It prevents a legitimate user from enjoying the spot.
I imagine also that #6 would fall under this.

I also can't fine anywhere that has that rule. My mom had a placard so I could bring her to doctor appointments I took her to many appointments and for tests and waited in the car for her she has copd and used a walker and she no longer was able to drive. I would not have parked anywhere else

It would probably fall under improper use or abuse the handicap parking. By the handicapped person staying in the vehicle, they have no use for the handicapped spot. It prevents a legitimate user from enjoying the spot.
I imagine also that #6 would fall under this.

I think that may be an assumption. Before my Aunt passed, her daughter was issued a HC tag as a caregiver. My Aunt's condition did not do well in the heat so her daughter would wait in the car with the a/c running while another daughter went into to get my Aunt (she was unable to walk unassisted). According to the county sheriff this was permissable use of the HC spot.

A group home was given the same answer. I don't know that it is fair to make a blanket statment that it is improper use. Which is why I asked for a source.

@Bid,

That is completely different situation. The person who is issued the placard is using it. Your mom is going into the places that she needs to go to.

I think that may be an assumption. Before my Aunt passed, her daughter was issued a HC tag as a caregiver. My Aunt's condition did not do well in the heat so her daughter would wait in the car with the a/c running while another daughter went into to get my Aunt (she was unable to walk unassisted). According to the county sheriff this was permissable use of the HC spot.

A group home was given the same answer. I don't know that it is fair to make a blanket statment that it is improper use. Which is why I asked for a source.

In this case it is being used properly, your aunt needed the car as close to the door as possible.

Now, lets say on the way home you need a gallon of milk, so you park in the handicapped spot, and run into the store and your aunt stays in the car. Your aunt isn't in need of parking closer to the door if you are the one going into the store. That is the issue people are talking about.

In this case it is being used properly, your aunt needed the car as close to the door as possible.

Now, lets say on the way home you need a gallon of milk, so you park in the handicapped spot, and run into the store and your aunt stays in the car. Your aunt isn't in need of parking closer to the door if you are the one going into the store. That is the issue people are talking about.

This is why I think is not a good idea to make assumptions. I really think people need to be careful about judging and getting upset and assuming people are miss using the HC spots.

In a lot of cases I don't think there is a way to "know" who needs the HC spot. As Sue said please don't judge.

I know that you can never tell whether or not some is disabled by looking at them, but, it is still wrong if someone was to do that.

If the disabled person remains in the car, and someone else runs in while parked in the handicapped spot, then #6 would apply because someone else is benefiting from the handicapped spot and not the disabled person.

@Bid,

That is completely different situation. The person who is issued the placard is using it. Your mom is going into the places that she needs to go to.

My point was if you don't know the situation don't judge others. I have had people make assumptions about me because I don't look disabled.

I know that you can never tell whether or not some is disabled by looking at them, but, it is still wrong if someone was to do that.

If the disabled person remains in the car, and someone else runs in while parked in the handicapped spot, then #6 would apply because someone else is benefiting from the handicapped spot and not the disabled person.

But you don't always know which person is the disabled person. So it is best not to judge, or assume.

Can some please explain how I judged or assumed that all people who run into the store while another remains in the car is cheating the system?

I didn't. I stated that if the person who remains in the car is disabled and the person who went into the store isn't then that is wrong and an abuse of the handicap parking, and a ticket should be issued.

I never said is was my job or my place to determine who is and who isn't abusing the system. The meter maid or police officers are ones the make that call.

Will people who do that ever get caught? I don't know. Do I demand that people show me proof of their qualifying disability? No.

I simply stated that if that happens, then it would be a violation of improper use of a handicap plate or placard, simply because the person benefiting from being closer to the door is staying in the car.

The hypothetical, what if, was what I was responding to. I

Can some please explain how I judged or assumed that all people who run into the store while another remains in the car is cheating the system?

I didn't. I stated that if the person who remains in the car is disabled and the person who went into the store isn't then that is wrong and an abuse of the handicap parking, and a ticket should be issued.

I never said is was my job or my place to determine who is and who isn't abusing the system. The meter maid or police officers are ones the make that call.

Will people who do that ever get caught? I don't know. Do I demand that people show me proof of their qualifying disability? No.

I simply stated that if that happens, then it would be a violation of improper use of a handicap plate or placard, simply because the person benefiting from being closer to the door is staying in the car.

The hypothetical, what if, was what I was responding to. I

I don't think anyone said you were judging. It was a general conversation posted on a message board. The point was and is, it is often hard to tell who is disabled.

The moderator and several others posted how things may not always be what they seem and asked people not to judge based on appearances. It is something many of us feel strongly about on the Disabilities board.

Well I guess I am just confused as you cautioned me against judging someone.

The point I was trying to answer was the legality of someone who is disabled remaining in the car, and someone who isn't disabled (not based off of sight, but someone who has no documented disability) then shopping.

It has nothing to do with whether a disability is visible (of which I am already highly aware of) or not. The question is if it is legal or not. I don't believe it is and would probably be a misuse of the card. The reason is because the person to whom needs to be closer to the door isn't getting out of the car. Which is the point of the handicapped spot.

I am fully aware that not all disabilities are visible. My son has brain damage due to a brain bleed. You can't tell that by looking at him. Issues may arise because of that as he gets older, strangers aren't going to know that by looking at him that he had a bleed and then brain surgery, and then radiation treatment at 7 and 8 years old. They are going to be looking at me like I would be a the bottom at the list of parent of the year. So I do get it.

Well I guess I am just confused as you cautioned me against judging someone.

The point I was trying to answer was the legality of someone who is disabled remaining in the car, and someone who isn't disabled (not based off of sight, but someone who has no documented disability) then shopping.

It has nothing to do with whether a disability is visible (of which I am already highly aware of) or not. The question is if it is legal or not. I don't believe it is and would probably be a misuse of the card. The reason is because the person to whom needs to be closer to the door isn't getting out of the car. Which is the point of the handicapped spot.

I am fully aware that not all disabilities are visible. My son has brain damage due to a brain bleed. You can't tell that by looking at him. Issues may arise because of that as he gets older, strangers aren't going to know that by looking at him that he had a bleed and then brain surgery, and then radiation treatment at 7 and 8 years old. They are going to be looking at me like I would be a the bottom at the list of parent of the year. So I do get it.

Where did I say I cautioned you against judging? Again this was a general conversation with various people contributing. This board is read by many people who never post. "Judging" is something that comes up often on the Dis.

As far as the legality, I am looking for a legal source.

Post #53.

You quoted my post, and then replied the one shouldn't assume or judge. When someone is quoted in a response it isn't a general comment. You are responding to the person you quoted. Unless that isn't how it works on the Dis. It is how it was worked on every other message board I have ever been a part of.

As far as this scenario in black and white, it may not be there, but that doesn't mean that it is legal. If the person doing the shopping isn't disabled and the person who is disabled is in the car then the car shouldn't be in the handicapped spot.

Post #53.

You quoted my post, and then replied the one shouldn't assume or judge. When someone is quoted in a response it isn't a general comment. You are responding to the person you quoted. Unless that isn't how it works on the Dis. It is how it was worked on every other message board I have ever been a part of.

As far as this scenario in black and white, it may not be there, but that doesn't mean that it is legal. If the person doing the shopping isn't disabled and the person who is disabled is in the car then the car shouldn't be in the handicapped spot.

What I said in post 53 was "But you don't always know which person is the disabled person. So it is best not to judge, or assume."

It was a general comment. The way it works on this board is to quote the post you are replying to. If I was saying YOU were judging I would have said "You need to stop being judgemental". As stated my comments were of a general nature. And I stand by my statement that no one should be judging (outside of law enforcement).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter