• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

They now post how much the fine will be for parking in a handicap spot without tags

disney david

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this was ever posted before or in the FAQ section that sue work so hard to put together. But notice a new sign at the board walk inn it will coast you 250 fine for parking in a handicap spot without proper tags. Don't know about you but i can think of a couple things i rather spend 250 on in Disney then a ticket how about you.

That has been in place in Florida for many years.

On time several years ago I parked at DTD and forgot to put my tag in the window and got a ticket. I called the Clerk of Court office and was told that if I send a copy of my tag along with the ticket, it would be just changed to Failure To Display and the fine would only be $20.

That has been in place in Florida for many years.

On time several years ago I parked at DTD and forgot to put my tag in the window and got a ticket. I called the Clerk of Court office and was told that if I send a copy of my tag along with the ticket, it would be just changed to Failure To Display and the fine would only be $20.

Okay thanks for some reason never noticed them at the board walk inn well they may not be new but it be good for everyone to know how much the ticket will be.

The fines are high but it doesn't stop some people without HC Placards form parking. I was parking in MK one morning last October and a car side of me didn't have a placard so I told them they forgot to put their placard on the mirror they laughed and walked away I let Disney Security know. When we got back the car had a ticket I bet they weren't laughing when they got to the car

I am nasty about people parking in disabled spaces without as proper tag. On my cell phone I have the non-emergency numbers for the Sheriff's Offices of Orange, Osceola and Polk Counties, the Cities of Orlando and Kissimmee, and Disney Security. And I will call in reports.

I've had trouble with yellow cab drivers parking horizontal taking up two spots at the Y&B club with no regard to a HC trying to take a legal spot. When I told him he was in the HC he just shrugged. I told the CM but didn't stick around to see what happened. It was the lot on the right hand side near the bus stop and is usually secured by cones.

The fines are high but it doesn't stop some people without HC Placards form parking. I was parking in MK one morning last October and a car side of me didn't have a placard so I told them they forgot to put their placard on the mirror they laughed and walked away I let Disney Security know. When we got back the car had a ticket I bet they weren't laughing when they got to the car

I have seen the HC placard on people's dashboards. I once had someone call to me that I forgot to put my placard on my mirror. Trouble is, I have a handicap license plate, not a placard. So be sure of the situation before your report someone.

pooh:

I have seen the HC placard on people's dashboards. I once had someone call to me that I forgot to put my placard on my mirror. Trouble is, I have a handicap license plate, not a placard. So be sure of the situation before your report someone.

pooh:

I checked both

I heard a family at DHS in the HC parking area laugh and comment about how mom's tag has become helpful this trip, and they didn't have her with them. They were all young with kids around 5-10. That makes me crazy, cause during busier times, we have to park elsewhere if all the parking is taken. Later in the day, that comes up more times than not.

I heard a family at DHS in the HC parking area laugh and comment about how mom's tag has become helpful this trip, and they didn't have her with them. They were all young with kids around 5-10. That makes me crazy, cause during busier times, we have to park elsewhere if all the parking is taken. Later in the day, that comes up more times than not.

A woman I knew had an elderly husband, quite a bit older than herself, who passed away. She continued to use his HC placard until it expired, even tho he had expired. :confused3

It's sad that people do that all the time. Now that it's summertime, we're at the park all the time!! We get there later in the day after the heat of the day has worn off, and there's not much, if any, HC parking left. Now I do know it's only a few who abuse that system, but for the few abusers, it leaves us who need it without, and walking/being pushed longer distances than needed.

It's sad that people do that all the time. Now that it's summertime, we're at the park all the time!! We get there later in the day after the heat of the day has worn off, and there's not much, if any, HC parking left. Now I do know it's only a few who abuse that system, but for the few abusers, it leaves us who need it without, and walking/being pushed longer distances than needed.
I would say though that it's not possible to know if someone's placard is their own based on age- I have an autoimmune condition an a dd with asd- so I'm a 30 something who probably looks like I'm using someone else's placard- obviously if someone is talking about it and saying it's not theirs then to know- but you can't tell just by looking

I can understand that too. I'm 37, and have one, with one of them invisible disabilities. I have a type of Muscular Dystrophy, and it's hard to walk. They were laughing about how mom's parking pass came in handy. I usually don't judge, cause I know sometimes you can't see what a person has wrong, but when you're bragging out loud, it gets under the skin.

Certain places in California have been cracking down on this, they have had police waiting for people leaving from or coming back to their cars and checking ID that matches the paperwork for their placards. The fines for this are higher here than just parking in a HC spot without a placard.

Something like a $750 fine and mandatory jail time. Just parking is a HC space is something like a $500 fine here. On top of those fines are all of the other regulatory fees and such and you end up near $1000 fine.

They have found that they don't have to catch everyone, just enough people at random and make a big enough deal on the news about it to scare people out of doing these kinds of things.

Different states have different marking requirements and fines for parking in the handicapped parking area without a placard.
I did not list the amount in the FAQs thread, but in the area about parking, it does mention that parking without a permit can lead to ticketing and a fine. I just didn't put how much so I didn't have to worry about it getting updated.

One of the Federal requirements each state must meet for handicapped parking permits is that the permit must be able to be traced back to the person it was issued to. If someone other than that person is using the permit, it may be confiscated and person it was issued to will lose the priviledge of having one.
In all states, they have a unique ID number on the permit that links back to the person it was issued to. Some states also list some general identifying information, not the name, but having the sex and year of birth of the person right on the permit does make checking easier.
If no one in the car is over 30 and the permit was issued to a female with a birth year of 1950, it's pretty obvious the permit is being abused.

Thanksgiving week 2004 we stayed at the Viking Motel on 192 where we noted a lot of transients would save their choice parking spaces by blocking them off with road cones or logs dragged from the brush nearby. When I questioned the manager why the sole handicapped space was occupied by a car without a tag (and was likewise "saved" during the daytime) he screamed that he'd paint out the symbol if it would make me happy. The place has since changed hands but that marks the last time I ever stay off property.

My mom just got a ticket for $505 because she forgot to display her tag. She lives in Arkansas, but has been in Texas for the past month helping us out. She was told to make copy of her tag and it should be taken care of. She was not told about a failure to display tag ticket, so we shall see if she gets one.

And, because of our current situation, I am driving her car when I have to run an errand. I pull the car out of the handicap spot, drive to Target and park in a regular spot, and drive back to the rehab facility and park in the handicap spot. While I am not handicap, my Mom is and she will be the next person using the car. I realize our situation is rather unusual, but hopefully I won't be given a ticket when parking her car in a spot for her to have easier access to.

Different states have different marking requirements and fines for parking in the handicapped parking area without a placard.
I did not list the amount in the FAQs thread, but in the area about parking, it does mention that parking without a permit can lead to ticketing and a fine. I just didn't put how much so I didn't have to worry about it getting updated.

One of the Federal requirements each state must meet for handicapped parking permits is that the permit must be able to be traced back to the person it was issued to. If someone other than that person is using the permit, it may be confiscated and person it was issued to will lose the priviledge of having one.
In all states, they have a unique ID number on the permit that links back to the person it was issued to. Some states also list some general identifying information, not the name, but having the sex and year of birth of the person right on the permit does make checking easier.
If no one in the car is over 30 and the permit was issued to a female with a birth year of 1950, it's pretty obvious the permit is being abused.

Sue, here in Fl they link it to the Driver's License or FL ID to the disabled person. The expiration date is also on my birthday. Not sure if all states do it like that, but it is helpful. I have never seen anyone at Disney checking to see if there was a tag, nothing. And we go over there all the time.

Sue, here in Fl they link it to the Driver's License or FL ID to the disabled person. The expiration date is also on my birthday. Not sure if all states do it like that, but it is helpful. I have never seen anyone at Disney checking to see if there was a tag, nothing. And we go over there all the time.

Very often we will have an Orange County Deputy Sheriff hanging around the entrance to TL. And disabled parking is very close. I have seen them, from time to time, check people as they are parking. I have seen one time when one confiscated a hang tag, wrote the driver a ticket, and had them move the car to a regular space.

On my hang tag the expiration sticker also has both the serial number of the tag as well as my DL number.

This I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND. Someone parking in a handicap spot who just is ignorant to how much of a strain it can be to travel the distance when you are handicapped is one thing, but for someone who personally knows someone who need a hp placard/plate..... what are they thinking. How would they feel if the person they care about isn't able to park in the spot marked h/p?
Even before I ever needed hp placard, dh & I would NEVER use an hp spot. We raised our kids to not even walk up a hp ramp if stairs are available.. You are blessed to not NEED to, so thank your maker & use the body you have been blessed with! I guess it's a good thing I am not the one responsible for issuing citations, I'm afraid I would be obsessed with it. Maybe they should deputize me, I'll work for free and just run around handing out citations for these parking violations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter