• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

They now post how much the fine will be for parking in a handicap spot without tags

I am nasty about people parking in disabled spaces without as proper tag. On my cell phone I have the non-emergency numbers for the Sheriff's Offices of Orange, Osceola and Polk Counties, the Cities of Orlando and Kissimmee, and Disney Security. And I will call in reports.

Great idea. Sometimes when I have "reminded" someone without a tag/plate, they start screaming at me like I was the problem. Recently I just looked at a car without a tag and the driver went off on me. DH has had several times with a temporary tag and I have become more sensitive to those who need HC parking.

Yep. It is pathetic what people do. Cheshire....glad you've seen it at TL, I've seen the sherriff's at the park entrances, but none checking the HC spots, just at the bag checks. We don't go to the water park due to my condition, so that may be why we haven't been checked.

I can't believe people will go off on others for just pointing out that they're not HC. That family I heard in DHS lot made me mad. they were a few spots from us. Yea the parks have overflow areas, but do you know how hard it is to get a wheelchair out of your vehicle without that extra space? It sucks!!! and then getting in between the cars and such IN the chair without getting run over....it's an art!! LOL

does anyone know what you do if you r not from the US. I from the UK with a blue disbabled badge and I am now worried that as its not a tag I could end up with one of these fines. Any ideas what I should do?

Not all handicaps are obvious. My friend and I pulled into the parking lot at a local restaurant. My friend pulled right up in front into the handicapped spot and we headed for the restaurant. A young local police stopped talking to the young lady he had been chatting up, walked over and started to lecture my friend about the fact that just because he had a handicapped placard on this car he was not able to park in that spot.

The officer actually demanded my friend's drivers license and opened up his ticket pad. The officer said that he was issuing a ticket and confiscating the handicapped placard and took it from the mirror (convertible Corvette). As my friend handed his license to the officer, he looked at me and said, "Obviously, I walk so well on two prosthesis that I'm no longer handicapped."

The officer turned bright red. He handed the driver's license and placard back. My father had a handicapped placard his last year of life. His affliction was not obvious. However, he was dying of non-small cell lung cancer and there were times he couldn't walk far.

MY POINT: When you decide to confront someone parking in a handicapped spot, you could wind up being dreadfully embarrassed. Why not leave that stuff for the law enforcement. When you are at WDW just enjoy your time there and try not to worry about what others do.

I try not to be the "parking police" but it is so hard! my Mother and my DS are both handicapped and on good days they both look OK but still need the parking so a good day can last a little longer without getting tired too soon. I will never forget the woman who pulled up behind my van as I got out of the drivers seat and screamed "are you handicapped? at me? I calmly replied "No" which set her off cursing and screaming at me what a horrible person I was, untill I opened the back of the van and lifted out my Son's wheelchair, she then screamed " you said you weren't handicapped!" at which i replied "I'm NOT!". she drove off embarassed as I helped my son out of the van. My biggest pet peeve is when people park in the crosshatch/loading area of the HC spot, I have called police when I couldn't get DS back into the car, and in Maryland, they do an immediate tow and a 250-500 ticket.

Just a funny handicapp parking story... I was parked in the handicapped spot at a Target. I have had 3 reconstructive leg surgeries making me slow as a turtle when extreme weather kicks in. Anyway, I was loading the car, taking my time so I wouldn't slip on the black ice. I was shutting the hatch to my minivan and someone honked at me....loudly.... an elderly woman and her sidekick rolled down the window and shouted at me that I was moving too slowly and if I was that slow, I should park in a regular spot in order to free up a handicap space. I just broke out laughing. She didn't think it was funny but I thought it was hysterical. People are just plain crazy. :goodvibes

Doreen

I have a funny handicap parking story....

I was having a particularly bad health day and had to go to Costco. When I got there, there was ONE handicap spot - the rest of the open spots were more than a half mile away. By the time I got to the spot, someone else had just pulled in. I watched her SKIP all the way to the entrance of the store.

Normally I would be frustrated, but would just let it go. I couldn't that day :confused3 So I double-parked behind her car and waited. I sat there much longer than was reasonable until she came back. When she asked me to move, I asked her why she took the last handicap parking space. Her response?

"Mom said I could use her handicap pass so I could get into the store faster."

I just shook my head and called the local police from my cell phone. I stayed there until they showed up.

I wonder if her mom paid the ticket...

I have a funny handicap parking story....

I was having a particularly bad health day and had to go to Costco. When I got there, there was ONE handicap spot - the rest of the open spots were more than a half mile away. By the time I got to the spot, someone else had just pulled in. I watched her SKIP all the way to the entrance of the store.

Normally I would be frustrated, but would just let it go. I couldn't that day :confused3 So I double-parked behind her car and waited. I sat there much longer than was reasonable until she came back. When she asked me to move, I asked her why she took the last handicap parking space. Her response?

"Mom said I could use her handicap pass so I could get into the store faster."

I just shook my head and called the local police from my cell phone. I stayed there until they showed up.

I wonder if her mom paid the ticket...

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I had a similar situation where my former neighbors would borrow their father's placard to park in the designated space in front of my house...unfortunately on a public street. After one too many times of this I called the police and we both had to appear in court. They brought the father in who claimed he was "out" at the time and the judge handed me the court costs. I later got a note from the judge and a letter stating the the court costs were dismissed...he overheard them cackling about getting away with lying. m.

Kudos to you for doing that, i have watched so many people, get out of their car and not walk or look like they have any disabilitiy, and away i struggle to get to the door, i just want to ask them to show me the special card issued for the handicapped placard

I had mall security stop me today at the mall and rudely demand I move my car from the handicapped parking (I do have a permit, btw). I turned around, tugged up the back of my shirt, and showed them the multiple scars I have from 5 back surgeries. Then I showed them my ID that states I'm retired military. Walked away after that. I know I did far more than I needed to, but I was not in the mood to stand outside in 120 degree heat and deal with him.

Wow, if I were you I would have simply pointed to the disabled permit and walked away. He has no right to question if the permit is valid or not, that is up to the police alone (at least in California) and even them they are only allowed to asses if the permit belongs to you, not if you should have it or not, that is up to your doctor

Kudos to you for doing that, i have watched so many people, get out of their car and not walk or look like they have any disabilitiy, and away i struggle to get to the door, i just want to ask them to show me the special card issued for the handicapped placard

I'm actually offended by your comment. As someone who frequents a board on disabilities you should KNOW that some people have invisible disabilities. I'm sure if you saw me, a seemingly healthy 21 year old getting out of my car, you would naturally assume that I was using someone else's. Wouldn't you be offended if someone came up to you and demanded to see your ID card.

I've been given nasty looks and even had an old man get in my face at a restaurant. My boyfriend at the time nearly got into a fist fight with him, as he demanded to see my ID card, to which I responded "It's none of your damm business, Where's your ID card? You don't look handicapped either"

On top of that I even had a professor at my University be very rude to me in the parking lot. So I found out her name and went straight to the Dean to file a complaint.

I'm actually offended by your comment. As someone who frequents a board on disabilities you should KNOW that some people have invisible disabilities. I'm sure if you saw me, a seemingly healthy 21 year old getting out of my car, you would naturally assume that I was using someone else's. Wouldn't you be offended if someone came up to you and demanded to see your ID card.

I've been given nasty looks and even had an old man get in my face at a restaurant. My boyfriend at the time nearly got into a fist fight with him, as he demanded to see my ID card, to which I responded "It's none of your damm business, Where's your ID card? You don't look handicapped either"

On top of that I even had a professor at my University be very rude to me in the parking lot. So I found out her name and went straight to the Dean to file a complaint.

I was thinking the same thing. If I'm wearing my braces, you can tell I have a problem, or if I'm at WDW, I'm in a chair. If not, I can seem normal too, on good days. I haven't had anyone come at me as of yet, just had my pass for a few months, but there are a bunch of disabilities that are invisible, and you never know what someone has. There are people who abuse it, but I don't say anything unless I know for sure, Like the people I was talking about earlier, and others that have posted about here that blatenly abuse it. Makes me crazy sometimes!! If you're gonna abuse it, keep your mouth shut, don't go and brag where others can hear you!! I know people with disabilities are a very proud bunch, and can't stand the blatent stuff.

Off my soap box for now!! :rolleyes:

Not everyone wants to advertise the fact they are disabled. In Georgia, our Disabled Veteran license plates are not easy to identify. The first two letters are DV but the words "Disabled Veteran" are at the bottom where the county sticker goes or now "In God We Trust" sticker.

My friend that I mentioned earlier hates it when someone refers to him as disabled. He has lost both legs but can do anything that I can do, better. He often doesn't park in the handicapped spaces but he is entitled to park there. Many people are self-conscious about those disabilities. I've actually heard someone say that he must not be too handicapped, if he drives a Vette. He does have a Harley too! Is there a rule that handicapped people have to drive certain types of cars, walk with a limp and can't be happy?

I was thinking the same thing. If I'm wearing my braces, you can tell I have a problem, or if I'm at WDW, I'm in a chair. If not, I can seem normal too, on good days. I haven't had anyone come at me as of yet, just had my pass for a few months, but there are a bunch of disabilities that are invisible, and you never know what someone has. There are people who abuse it, but I don't say anything unless I know for sure, Like the people I was talking about earlier, and others that have posted about here that blatenly abuse it. Makes me crazy sometimes!! If you're gonna abuse it, keep your mouth shut, don't go and brag where others can hear you!! I know people with disabilities are a very proud bunch, and can't stand the blatent stuff.

Off my soap box for now!! :rolleyes:
I agree.

Many people do not have a visible disability, but do meet the requirements set by law to get a handicapped parking permit. Just seeing someone does not say whether or not they are disabled.

I have never called on someone who had a handicapped parking permit posted. I have called when I have seen someone parking without a handicapped parking permit, especially when there were few spots. Parking there without a permit is against the law - if the person was disabled and did not have a permit, they need to get one. If they had one and forgot to put it up, they will be able to get out of the ticket in many cases or get it reduced by showing their valid permit.
I have also called when someone parked in the cross-hatched access area next to the handicapped spot. When we came back to our van after shopping one day, I found someone had parked in the access area, making it impossible for me to lower the ramp on our van to get my DD's wheelchair in.
As we waited for the police to come, I saw someone park in the spot right in front of me ( so I could see that they did not have a handicapped parking permit or license plate). As the woman get out of her car, I tried to ask nicely if she realized she had not put up her handicapped parking permit. What I got in return was a verbal attack. She said she had every right to park there because her son had a heart condition.
I said that I just wanted to warn her she did not have a permit showing because I was waiting for the police to arrive to ticket a car parked illegally and did not want her to get a ticket just because she forgot to put hers up.
She stomped off 'hmmphing' about the 'nerve of some people' and 'what right' did I have to decide who got to park in those spots. She did not put up a handicapped parking permit before she walked away. I have no idea whether or not she actually had a permit or not, but after giving the person parked in the access area a ticket, the police looked for anyone else parking without a permit. She did get a ticket.

And, one day when I parked in a handicapped parking spot at DD's school, I came out to find the police looking over my van. Someone had observed me park in he spot and walk into the school. That person called the police to report I was illegally parking since I was obviously "not handicapped".
I am not disabled, but I had parked in that spot because I was picking up my youngest DD, who the card was issued to. Again, because of the lift, I needed to park in that spot.
When I came out of the school, I was pushing DD's wheelchair and the police officer said that was a perfectly legitimate use of the permit because I was picking DD up and needed the spot to do so.

So, even if you know someone is able bodied, they may have a legitimate reason for parking in the handicapped spot, so please don't judge.

The ones that bother me is when someone parks in the handicapped spot and the passenger hops out and the driver stays in the vehicle. You can almost bet that the one who the tag is issued to is the one that stayed in the vehicle.

In Michigan if you are the one who the tag is issued to and you do not get out of the car, then you can not legally park there.

I have seen the HC placard on people's dashboards. I once had someone call to me that I forgot to put my placard on my mirror. Trouble is, I have a handicap license plate, not a placard. So be sure of the situation before your report someone.

pooh:

Same for me -- I have the handicap license plate on my car and have a placard for our van.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter