• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

They now post how much the fine will be for parking in a handicap spot without tags

And as I wrote the post, you were replying to me.

And on a neutral note. I am done with this discussion. I have stated my piece.

And as I wrote the post, you were replying to me.

And on a neutral note. I am done with this discussion. I have stated my piece.

I am not sure what this means.:confused3 (comments added as I replied).

This is not a battle and I have no problem getting back to the general discussion at hand.:thumbsup2

If "anyone" has a link to a source to Michigan law about remaining in the car please post a link.

This is a good website with links to each state’s Department of Motor Vehicles page about disabled parking permits.

You can click on a state and find out what the law is for that state. There are other links on the pages.
The laws in each state have some things in general that are similar, but the details may be different.

For example, in Minnesota, my family was able to get handicapped parking plates for our van while my DD was a minor. Once she turned 18, we were no longer able to get handicapped plates for our van unless she was either the primary operator of the van (she is not capable of driving) or she was the primary owner of the van (she doesn’t have income to buy a van).

My daughter is able to get a handicapped hangtag issued to her, so that is what we have.

In some states, a caregiver may be able to get handicapped parking plates for the benefit of the person.
In some states, the handicapped parking permit is required to be hung from the mirror, but some states allow it to be placed on the dashboard or hung. In fact, Minnesota recently changed the law to provide for either because of lobbying by people with disabilities who could physically not place it on and off the mirror.

I do not know of anything in writing on the internet, but we were given some guidelines when we got DD’s handicapped hangtag; kind of summarized, it amounted to:
- the person the hangtag is issued to must be in the car or the car is being parked in the spot to pick that person up or drop them off.
- the permit must be used for the benefit of the person it is issued to. We were told if DD was not getting out, that parking in the handicapped spot was not of any benefit to her, so we could not park there.

These things may be different in different states, but I doubt that they are law that would be published anywhere that can be found. More like guidelines that are ‘unofficially’ published.
I guess, the main thing would be that people need to use common sense, compassion and realize that handicapped parking spots are a scarce commodity.

This is a good website with links to each state’s Department of Motor Vehicles page about disabled parking permits.

You can click on a state and find out what the law is for that state. There are other links on the pages.
The laws in each state have some things in general that are similar, but the details may be different.

For example, in Minnesota, my family was able to get handicapped parking plates for our van while my DD was a minor. Once she turned 18, we were no longer able to get handicapped plates for our van unless she was either the primary operator of the van (she is not capable of driving) or she was the primary owner of the van (she doesn’t have income to buy a van).

My daughter is able to get a handicapped hangtag issued to her, so that is what we have.

In some states, a caregiver may be able to get handicapped parking plates for the benefit of the person.
In some states, the handicapped parking permit is required to be hung from the mirror, but some states allow it to be placed on the dashboard or hung. In fact, Minnesota recently changed the law to provide for either because of lobbying by people with disabilities who could physically not place it on and off the mirror.

I do not know of anything in writing on the internet, but we were given some guidelines when we got DD’s handicapped hangtag; kind of summarized, it amounted to:
- the person the hangtag is issued to must be in the car or the car is being parked in the spot to pick that person up or drop them off.
- the permit must be used for the benefit of the person it is issued to. We were told if DD was not getting out, that parking in the handicapped spot was not of any benefit to her, so we could not park there.

These things may be different in different states, but I doubt that they are law that would be published anywhere that can be found. More like guidelines that are ‘unofficially’ published.
I guess, the main thing would be that people need to use common sense, compassion and realize that handicapped parking spots are a scarce commodity.

Got it! I did see that link today. And I know my Dad got a "Guidelines" type handout when he got his tag years ago. It did have something about being in the car etc (which makes total sense-common sense). I was worried we were missing a law :sad1: and doing something wrong. My Dad is not always the best source for information:rolleyes1. Neither my sister or I live in Michigan so we are not up on their laws. But we do travel for the parents medical appointments, surgeries etc.

Thanks Sue!

:thumbsup2 I agree that it is important not to judge and assume.

I would General agree with this one this but when you see a young woman running in 6 in heals to run in the movies and you see the same person run up a flight of stair then I judge because She jumped in my spot and all I wanted to do us scram my head off when I seen her run as I only wish I had her mobility.

I have a funny handicap parking story....

I was having a particularly bad health day and had to go to Costco. When I got there, there was ONE handicap spot - the rest of the open spots were more than a half mile away. By the time I got to the spot, someone else had just pulled in. I watched her SKIP all the way to the entrance of the store.

Normally I would be frustrated, but would just let it go. I couldn't that day :confused3 So I double-parked behind her car and waited. I sat there much longer than was reasonable until she came back. When she asked me to move, I asked her why she took the last handicap parking space. Her response?

"Mom said I could use her handicap pass so I could get into the store faster."

I just shook my head and called the local police from my cell phone. I stayed there until they showed up.

I wonder if her mom paid the ticket...

My foster mother used to double park behind people like that and send one of the teens to the pay phone to call. :lovestruc (Because cell phones weren't a thing yet.)

My DB has a handicap tag on his car; about 12 years ago he was diagnosed with Viral Cardiomyopathy. He has about 30% heart function and gets tired extremely easily. Thanks to his wife dying unexpectedly from a stroke this past winter, he's usually exhausted as he's now the only adult in a household that includes two busy high schoolers who have be toted about to school and church functions (the oldest will get to drive this year, which will help, but can't yet) on a daily basis.

If you saw him, you'd see a middle aged man. You wouldn't see his trashed heart. When his wife was alive, you wouldn't see a woman who had survived 2 strokes and was just barely mobile, you'd see a middle-aged woman.

Just because someone isn't on crutches or in a wheelchair, just because they have (fairly normal) teenagers with them doesn't make them any less disabled.

And you know what? He doesn't have to explain any of this to someone who decides that they should have the right to decide who should or should not have a tag. He really shouldn't have to deal with someone blocking his exit from a store because they're ticked he got the last handicapped spot either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter