The WONDER's unofficial dry dock thread!

Im so excited, we are on the same cruise as JULES!!!

Hi Jules, :wave: hows the arm???

We cruise too, on the first out of dry dock. I pray it will all be finished ok and on time!

Cant wait ! :thumbsup2

Spotdude said:
how long is it in dry dock?
Her first cruise is October 15. She will probably leave the dock on the 13th.

I just read on another thread that according to DCL, she'll take 2 days to get there (and 2 days to get back). As it is +/- 663 S miles to the Chesapeak Bay and the Wonder's cruising speed is 21.5 knots (that equals 24.7 MPH) that means a travel time of about 27 hours.

Why would it take 2 days? Dock time is precious.

NO WONDER!!! Not yet anyway. Just drove by the drydock - tweren't her in the bay, but a Navy ship. Didn't see the Wonder anywhere around the harbor. :confused3

Yes the CMs travel to Norfolk, putting in long hours of painting, refurbishing, etc., though they also say they have a great time here in Norfolk! (I recall one CM telling me how she took some long naps under painting tarps to avoid detection of goofing off). ;)

Hmmm, wonder where the Wonder is....

Looking out my window this morning I see TITAN, the floating dock at BAE Systems Norfolk (formerly NORSHIPCO), site of previous DCL drydocks. The pier is still floating and the keel blocks appear to be placed.

Typically docking / undocking occurs at high tide.

Portsmouth, Norfolk Naval Shipyard
2006-10-01 4:37 PM EDT High Tide 3.18 feet
2006-10-01 11:24 PM EDT Low Tide 0.75 feet
2006-10-02 5:14 AM EDT High Tide 2.67 feet
2006-10-02 11:26 AM EDT Low Tide 0.71 feet
2006-10-02 5:49 PM EDT High Tide 3.26 feet
2006-10-03 12:22 AM EDT Low Tide 0.56 feet
2006-10-03 6:23 AM EDT High Tide 2.94 feet

As you can see the next high is this evening. Given a 27 hour transit time fm PC to Norfolk (if correct as posted) the 6pm docking is possible. But if I was going to bet a dollar, it would be for Tue morning. As a sailor I know you don't plan a transit for max speed the entire way....and if scheduling a docking you DON'T want to miss your scheduled arrival cuz the clock starts running anyway.

With regards to the WAVY CAM ***update: now that the angle of the sun is changing I see that the WAVY shot is actually seeing 'Speede' the Metro Machine dry dock, just east of BAE, which is occupied by a different Navy customer. (I didn't think it looked right but the pic was too dark for these aging eyes) TITAN is off the shot to the right... if WAVY pans right you'll see: *** - right now there is a Naval vessel moored between the CAM tower and the dry dock. The dock will be blocked by that vessel. You will see the approach to the dock, and once the dock is raised you'll see the top of the ship, but unless that grey hull leaves, the view will be partial...and from the equipment on deck I'd guess it isn't going anywhere soon.

I've positioned this Google Map satellite view to place TITAN smack in the middle of the shot. The Navy ship is moored on the left side and the tower cam is further off to the left.

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=norfolk+va&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=36.83426,-76.294878&spn=0.00802,0.020256&t=k&om=1

I'll post events as I observe them if I'm here....

*** if the pilots say 5pm I guess they are shooting to dock this evening. Time is money....***

Cool Capt BJ, thanks for your help!!! :thumbsup2

Capt_BJ said:
Looking out my window this morning I see TITAN, the floating dock at BAE Systems Norfolk (formerl NORSHIPCO), site of previous DCL drydocks. The pier is still floating and the keel blocks appear to be placed.

Typically docking / undocking occurs at high tide.

Portsmouth, Norfolk Naval Shipyard2006-10-014:37 PM EDTHigh Tide3.18 feet2006-10-0111:24 PM EDTLow Tide0.75 feet2006-10-025:14 AM EDTHigh Tide2.67 feet2006-10-0211:26 AM EDTLow Tide0.71 feet2006-10-025:49 PM EDTHigh Tide3.26 feet2006-10-0312:22 AM EDTLow Tide0.56 feet2006-10-036:23 AM EDTHigh Tide2.94 feet

As you can see the next high is this evening. Given a 27 hour transit time fm PC to Norfolk (if correct as posted) the 6pm docking is possible. But if I was going to bet a dollar, it would be for Tue morning. As a sailor I know you don't plan a transit for max speed the entire way....and if scheduling a docking you DON'T want to miss your scheduled arrival cuz the clock starts running anyway.

With regards to the WAVY CAM - right now there is a Naval vessel moored between the CAM tower and the dry dock. The dock will be blocked by that vessel. You will see the approach to the dock, and once the dock is raised you'll see the top of the ship, but unless that grey hull leaves, the view will be partial...and from the equipment on deck I'd guess it isn't going anywhere soon.

I've positioned this Google Map satellite view to place TITAN smack in the middle of the shot. The Navy ship is moored on the left side and the tower cam is further off to the left.

http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=norfolk+va&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=36.83426,-76.294878&spn=0.00802,0.020256&t=k&om=1

The 21.5 knots is the posted cruising speed for the ship. The max speed is 24 knots. I also checked NOAA marine forecast for the East Coast, they have 3-5 foot seas all the way up which is nothing. Also, the ship will be less 2,700 guests which should help it achieve a good cruising speed.

I just checked with my BIL who is a VA harbor pilot, the pilot schedule has the Wonder arriving at the mouth of the river at 5pm and currently on time. He is on duty but doubts he will be the pilot to bring her in. His best guess is to BAE Titan at approx. 6:15pm. Hope this helps.

MariettaMouse said:
I just checked with my BIL who is a VA harbor pilot, the pilot schedule has the Wonder arriving at the mouth of the river at 5pm and currently on time. He is on duty but doubts he will be the pilot to bring her in. His best guess is to BAE Titan at approx. 6:15pm. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your post. Wanted to be out at the tunnel when she came in.

Capt_BJ said:

*** if the pilots say 5pm I guess they are shooting to dock this evening. Time is money....***

Correct me if im wrong, but I didn't think that the google maps were live... Perhaps someone else knows more on this?

disneyfanatic3166 said:
Correct me if im wrong, but I didn't think that the google maps were live... Perhaps someone else knows more on this?

You are correct. IIRC, images can be up to 3 years old.

Very true - Google sat' pics are not live. Heck, my house is over 10 years old but their pic of my area shows corn fields....

I simply was trying to illustrate the lay of the land and where the 'navy hull' was in realtion to the dry dock and the web cam.

p.s. I haven't been able to get a picture on the WVEC cam for a couple of weeks....don't know if it is down or a problem on my end, but I can see other of their cams so suspect it is down.

After spending some time at sea (U.S. Navy), I am anxious to see the Wonder arrive. I have been looking at all the avaialabe cams... Thanks for the links. I haven't been to Norfolk or Little Creek for years, it really looks the same.

I have read the earlier entries....Very true that dock time is money (a large amount). It will be interesting to see if they try to make the high tide this evening or wait until tomorrow.

My wife and I are sailing the 19th of October (NO KIDS). Really looking forward to some time away.

Joel

Capt_BJ said:
Very true - Google sat' pics are not live. Heck, my house is over 10 years old but their pic of my area shows corn fields....

I simply was trying to illustrate the lay of the land and where the 'navy hull' was in realtion to the dry dock and the web cam.

p.s. I haven't been able to get a picture on the WVEC cam for a couple of weeks....don't know if it is down or a problem on my end, but I can see other of their cams so suspect it is down.

Oops. I MEANT to say that I was sure that was the intention of your post! Sometimes work gets in the way of my thought process :)

Interesting that the picture of your house is so old. Google claims that, at least for Google Earth, that all of their images were taken in the last 3 years. In fact, it's the first question in their FAQ (http://earth.google.com/faq.html#1)!

BuzzMan said:
Here is a link to another Norfolk web cam. Don't know if you will be able to see the Wonder though.

Norfolk Web Cam
I also don't know if we'll be able to see the Wonder on this cam. However, the fact that it's streaming is VERY cool. Does anybody know if she'll be sailing past this part of the harbor?

disneycruise05 said:
I also don't know if we'll be able to see the Wonder on this cam. However, the fact that it's streaming is VERY cool. Does anybody know if she'll be sailing past this part of the harbor?
YES; At the Time I just Checked it, the Cam was pointing westward toward the Midtown Tunnel, so the WONDER will be coming at You from this Angle.
================
Big15foot pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter