The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

Well.....keaving for myself, I can say that I've been out and about a lot more than usual this week.

And I totally agree with Kimmar. Be careful what you keave for. :rotfl:

I ended up eating a salad for dinner tonight. Been eating way too much lately.

We had a yummy dinner at quarter to 10 last night. I started with Blue point Oysters on the half shell, Fran let me have a few bites of her Clam Chowder (New England Style of course) and then we split a piece of swordfish in a lemon butter and capers sauce. It was perfectly cooked. Our sides were Mac and Cheese and cole slaw. It was very good, and then we were really tired and cranky and didn't even play any slots or table games, we just went to bed.

Today is going to be busy, busy, busy.

It's a Good Thursday

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. That is just brutal on the body, but everything was good and I don't have to do it again for 5 years. So that is a good thing.

You all are just cracking me up. :lmao:

Alison ~ you and Fran have a great time, win lots of money and relax.

maslex ~ I do the same thing with my potatoes. So yummy.

Brandi ~ glad you are home!!

Kim ~ I envy you your summer squash. I am still having to buy from the store. We are so slow this year. Not even a tomato ready. The cucumbers are abundant but not much else yet.

On Monday a salesman (he is a good friend) stopped by the church (you have to remember we live in a small town) with a new car for us to look at. We have been looking and they ordered one in for us. We drove it and of course fell in love with it (it is exactly what we wanted) so today at 1pm we are singing papers and handing them the check. I am so excited!!

WFDT ~ homemade chicken noodle soup (it was in the freezer) and Doug will eat at the Country Club.

Make it a great day.

:wave: Friday night and I am completely tired out! It's a lot of 3D fun with Ms Japanese Exchange but it does mean less 2D time.

We went out for dinner tonight to a Japanese restaurant for dinner; so there's not a lot of cooking going on here.

Hope you're all well.

......we have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo, so I am trying to come up with different ways to cook it. Here's what I did last night...lemme know what you think:

I took a lb of chicken breast, a lb of thin garlic and cheese sausage, and a lb of pork bracciole and sliced them. On medium heat in a large skillet, I sautéed the bracciole, followed by the sausage, followed by the chicken. I lowered the flame and added 3 finely chopped cloves of garlic, 6 oz of low-sodium chicken stock, and 4 oz of dry white wine, followed by one whole yellow summer squash, which I cut into 1" 'coins' [leave the skin on] and halved them. I also cut 3 plum tomatoes [from the garden] in half and added those. Finally, a little salt and pepper to taste and I covered and simmer for about an hour. I served it over angel-hair pasta.

Fantastic Friday,

Kim ~ I guess so. I don't think I will ever be graced by the tag fairy. Just not funny enough I guess. :rotfl2: Or pretty enough :confused3
Your skillet dinner sounds absolutely wonderful!! Ya did good!

PIO ~ I am so glad you are enjoying your visitor.

Today is the last day for our Bible School. Kids are everywhere - how fun. There is nothing better that a Church full of kids. Love it!!

We are working on the Bedroom this weekend. Boring but needed. I will be so glad when this is finished and we don't have to spend all our time on it. It better be a LONG time until we do this again. And IF we do I will hire it done!!!!

WFDT ~ Grilled pork chops, corn on the cob and cucumber salad.

Make it a great day!

Ellen, I'm glad you're almost done with the bedroom. That must be a lot of work.

PORTrays great that your exchange student is so much fun. Your being busy will give me some time to catch up on yiur TR!

Kim, your dinner sounds great! We had to give away peppers and tomatoes at band the night before we left for Vegas we had so many!

WFDT? There is nothing scheduled at the convention tonight that we want to attend so we're going to our favorite steakhouse, Del Frisco's, for dinner. Last night was a party at the voodoo lounge where they served Prime Rib, Steak tips with mushrooms, pesto chicken, meatballs, mashed potatoes and Caesar salad. It was good plus we got coupons for two drinks. It wasn't free, we paid trough the nose for our tickets to this event, but so far we've seen some fun panels, had some fun times and the fact that we have great seats reserved for us has made it all worth it.

....my DH picks at least 8 or 9 peppers every day, plus 3 or 4 squash, and COUNTLESS tomatoes! The cukes have slowed down though....

How many plants do you have? I have two peppers, four tomatoes, three squash and two cucumbers.

....our garden is about 4 ft by 20 ft....about a third of it is a pumpkin patch; I can't wait for all the different kinds of pumpkins and gourds to decorate the front of the house!

I know this is a little late in posting, but I think we have all been a little bit behind, you know as they say, better late than never!

Last weekend was Lasagne weekend and I chose to make a non traditional style of lasagna. A Mexican Lasagne.

Mexican Lasagne

My Ingredients:

• 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • ½ cup chopped onions
  • ½ cup chopped green peppers
  • 2 ½ cups Salsa (I actually double this)
  • 1 can (11 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained (I use frozen corn instead)
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 12 corn tortillas (6 inch), divided
  • 1 container (16 oz) Cottage Cheese
  • 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese (I probably use more)
  • 1 can (2-1/4 oz.) sliced black olives, drained (I don’t use these, hate olives)

Brown Ground beef in skillet.

Chop onion and pepper

Add to ground beef

Add salsa, corn, chili and cumin

Put a third of the sauce mixture in the bottom of the pan. Place a layer of tortillas in the bottom of your pan. I only made about 1/3 of the total recipe. There are only two of us, the full recipe makes enough for a 9x13 pan.

Top the tortillas with cottage cheese.

Repeat layers once, finishing with a layer of the salsa and top with grated cheddar cheese.

Bake for 25-40 minutes in a 350 degree F oven or until bubbly and hot.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired. My dinner!

WFDT?

We had a big seafood feast.

Mussels, steamers, grilled little neck clams, lobsters, corn on the cob, potatoes and a little filet mignon on the side. Soooo good!!!!

Hey girlies........

Alison ~ Your Mexican lasagna looks amazing. Good job.
I hope you and Fran are having a great time in Vegas. From the pictures I have seen, I am sure you are.

maslex ~ OH.MY.GOODNESS that meal of yours sounds like a million bucks. WOW what I would give to be able to eat like that. Good for you!

Kim ~ You are so lucky to have a garden and actually work it. I live on acres and acres of land, love to can and freeze, and HATE to garden. I can't stand to get my hands dirty and the bugs :crazy2: :scared: well let's just not go there. I really depend on all of my neighbors to keep me stocked. As they say in Nebraska - never leave your car unlocked because you WILL find a bounty in the back seat. It's very true - either that or on my porch. :rotfl2:

Brandi ~ You really are in heaven with all of the fresh veggies. What are you going to do in the winter? I totally could be right there with you. I do love my fruit and veggies but I would have to be like David also - I want a bit of meat also once in awhile.

PIO ~ Hope you are having fun with your FE student.

When I left the house this morning it was really foggy. That scares me as they say that you will get your first snow 6 weeks after a fog. Good grief I am so not ready for snow. That would be the middle of September - I don't think so!!!

We had a very productive weekend. The bedroom is now insulated!! We have to install the new windows and then sheetrock. Woohoo!!!

While Doug was working on the bedroom (he wouldn't let me help). I put up 7 quarts of the BEST spaghetti /pizza/tomato sauce. I was pretty proud of myself. I didn't have a recipe I just did it. Then I had 1 very large zucchini that I made up into 4 loaves of bread. My freezer is very happy.

WFDT ~ Turkey burgers, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers 2 ways and fresh peaches. I love summer meals.

Make it a great day all!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter