The Running Thread - 2020

You posted this and so I decided, why not? And signed up as an individual to be assigned to a team. Well, the other three people on my team are MUCH faster runners than I am! Hopefully they will keep in mind that there is no prize. :)

I did the same thing and signed up as an individual. I’m not sure the speed of all my teammates as one person’s name has numerous matches on Strava and another is listed as the default “Strava Athlete.” This will be interesting for sure.

Yesterday has been Race Day for me! And after all those virtual Runs, it finally was a real Race Day! Real Bib (with a real Timing Chip), real (wooden) Medal right after the Finish Line and real Runners around you.

But first things first. I described the Races Concept in my last post. When I first saw their website and told a couple of Running Buddies about that Race, Marco asked me if we can team up. So we were in for the Double Run, which is allowed in Germany, two households are allowed to meet!

Last week I finally had a letter in my Postbox. They send me both BIBs, and it was a great feeling. Holding those real BIBs in my hands, real Timing Chips, so awesome!

A few days before yesterday, we both got an E-Mail with our official Starting Time! 9:34 pm! A little bit late, was my first reaction. But it was just perfect; we just hit the "blue hour"!

Race Day

We met at Marcos and made the 25 Minutes drive to the Race. At the Parking Lot, we met a Coach of ours. We had a small talk, and he had to go to the Check-In because he was running around 40 minutes before us.

We fixed our Gear, checked our BIBs and other Stuff and made our way to the Check-In. But they did not let us in, because we have been 20 Minutes too early. They let you in 10 Minutes before your official Start, which is perfect for social distancing. So I took the chance for a last pee, which costs me 50 Cent and a run back to my car, getting those 50 Cents.

We met our Coach again, and Mr. Rocketman finished that hilly Course in 16 Minutes something and, after the first day, he is sitting in first place with that time.

At the Check-In, you get a funny Buff and the next few minutes we were taking Selfies.

solorun01.jpg

Within perfect social distance, we stood before the Starting Line and were waiting for our own Start. Every Minute you could here the Countdown "5-4-3-2-1 Goooooo, ..... have fun".

When we were first in line, a photographer took a photo, and then we heart our Countdown "5-4-3-2-1".

The first KM was a long downhill stretch. We knew from our Coach that this Course was hilly. Spectators were not allowed, and because of our late Start Time, the Park, which the Course runs through, was also closed for regular visitors. We were passed quickly by the Guys starting behind us. They looked very ambitious from the beginning.

Every few meters, some "Castmember" from the Runorganiser showed us the way and cheered us on. As we passed the second group of Castmembers, the Course made a sharp left turn and we saw the first Uphill section. Our pace dropped.

Now it was our turn to pass other Runners. Social distancing was no problem at any time. The Course led us through a beautiful Park. Without the regular Visitors and only a few Castmembers cheering us on, it felt like the 10K at Disneyland Paris. I always cheered back and thanked everyone for being there and cheering us on.

We finished the first loop and enjoyed the setting sun and "blue hour". Most of the time we run on our own. Sometimes we got passed, sometimes we passed others. Like in a real Race :-)

On a downhill section, a couple passed us, during the next uphill section we passed them.

Before the Race, Marco told me that he is not in the best shape. After I took a selfie while running, he said, we need to slow down a bit. So we did.

solorun02.jpg

I am not good at Pep Talk, maybe because, in most cases, I am on the receiving end. And to be honest, I do not like it a lot. Anyways, I tried my best to motivate him, and he did well. We finished at 30:08 Minutes.

Behind the Finish Line we got our medals and something to drink. Medals and Drinks laid on tables. Every Runner grabbed a Medal, a bag of Goodies and their Drinks and left the Finish Zone. So did we, sad at a small lake, talked about the Race, made another Photo and left.

solorun03.jpg

Finally, it was something that felt nearly like a real Race. The separated Start was fun, the Course was beautiful, and at 19 EUR (~$22) the Price was ok.

These are strange times and I guess, we have to go these extra Miles right now ;)

Thanks for reading, ...

May mileage: 95.5 (I'm sure somewhere that's an FM station playing "Hits from the 80's/90's")

Comment: See April......or was it March? Pretty much the same.

Summer arrived last week then left. So went from running in T+D of 135-140 to today's run T+D of 85.

Only negative is that either my weight training has aggravated neck/shoulder/arm muscles or my Cervical disc issue is rearing its ugly head. So taking this coming week off from all activity other than walking the dog.

Race Report (Virtual race anyway): Today would have been the DX2A 10k/Half Marathon. It is a great race that runs between Dexter and Ann Arbor, Michigan. But it was postponed awhile back. My daughter and I had planned to run the 10k together, it was to be her first official 10k. When the race was postponed I went on a search for a good virtual race to replace it. Today we ran Bigfoot The Social Distancing Champion Virtual Run. We ran the 10k distance and I am excited to say we both finished in under an hour! This is a big post injury PR for me, by about 10 minutes. Plus it was just so nice to spend the time with my daughter. She was kind enough to slow a bit for me! Great morning!!!

May 2020
Distance: 164.2km (102 mi)
Average speed: 5m56s/km (9m34s/mi)

Family 2020km Challenge now at 1182km ran

This month is just more of the same. Maintenance training, running with DH and/or DD, amazing weather, good volume, decent average speed and disheartened at no racing or change of scenery in sight. Fortunately, everyone is healthy.

ETA: I tried three new gels this month.
Huma blackberry: Good natural taste but pasty texture
Gu Mandarin Orange: Great fruity flavour with a tangy lingering aftertaste.
Gu Strawberry Banana: Sweet and surprisingly close to a banana purée taste, no aftertaste.

Last edited:
May Summary:
48.4 miles

I was hoping to increase mileage again this month but I had a few weeks where my long run just didn’t happen the way I wanted it to. But yesterday as I cut another run short I thought about how far I’ve come in the past year and how much I have to be proud of, so I’m practicing being kind to myself and celebrating my miles instead.

May miles = 191

A new PR for monthly miles for me this month. Previous high was 187 when I was training for my first marathon. No races to train for this time. Just running more miles because it is pretty much the only time I leave my house.

April = 164
March = 164
February = 101
January = 110

2020 total miles = 730

May:
Running
Distance: 31.20 miles
Time: 6:52:26 hours
Avg Pace: 13:14 min/mi

This is about where I expected to be, honestly. May try to get up to 40 miles for June, may just stay here ... we will see.
I have been going all-in on my barre classes, which has been nice. I want to try to find some other livestream or online workouts to try this month, but we'll see how that goes.

May Totals:

Total Miles - 153.95 mi
Total Time - 21:52:45
Average Pace - 8:32
Avg HR - 141
Cycle - 40.69 m
hiking - 12.61 m

Decent month of running until my hammy decided to speak up and say I needed to give it a rest. Did some bike riding and hiking this month with the family to get the youngest away from his computer, at least one day a week.

May Totals:

101.8 miles
Average pace: 14:04
Other Training: 14:43:27 (focusing more on core/upper body strength. Last month was only about 5 hours and even less the months prior)

Other news:
- holding still on the weight loss (frustrating)
- I start a new 6 week training plan tomorrow before I start my official W&D plan mid-July. It involves speed workouts and hills 😳
- DH surprised me with “Happy Anniversary, I’ve ordered you a treadmill” this week. :hyper::love:

March Miles: 87
Average Pace: 11:11/mile
2020 Miles: 402.8

Another month of WFH (over 12 weeks total) and I will continue through August. So far I have only needed to go in to the office twice. Once for a site visit and once for a surprise retirement party (he knew he was retiring, he just didn’t know we were going to be there to celebrate).

While I’m still not training for anything (my first uncanceled race is in mid-August), I have continued running 5 days a week to maintain fitness.

Yesterday has been Race Day for me! And after all those virtual Runs, it finally was a real Race Day! Real Bib (with a real Timing Chip), real (wooden) Medal right after the Finish Line and real Runners around you.

But first things first. I described the Races Concept in my last post. When I first saw their website and told a couple of Running Buddies about that Race, Marco asked me if we can team up. So we were in for the Double Run, which is allowed in Germany, two households are allowed to meet!

Last week I finally had a letter in my Postbox. They send me both BIBs, and it was a great feeling. Holding those real BIBs in my hands, real Timing Chips, so awesome!

A few days before yesterday, we both got an E-Mail with our official Starting Time! 9:34 pm! A little bit late, was my first reaction. But it was just perfect; we just hit the "blue hour"!

Race Day

We met at Marcos and made the 25 Minutes drive to the Race. At the Parking Lot, we met a Coach of ours. We had a small talk, and he had to go to the Check-In because he was running around 40 minutes before us.

We fixed our Gear, checked our BIBs and other Stuff and made our way to the Check-In. But they did not let us in, because we have been 20 Minutes too early. They let you in 10 Minutes before your official Start, which is perfect for social distancing. So I took the chance for a last pee, which costs me 50 Cent and a run back to my car, getting those 50 Cents.

We met our Coach again, and Mr. Rocketman finished that hilly Course in 16 Minutes something and, after the first day, he is sitting in first place with that time.

At the Check-In, you get a funny Buff and the next few minutes we were taking Selfies.

View attachment 498171

Within perfect social distance, we stood before the Starting Line and were waiting for our own Start. Every Minute you could here the Countdown "5-4-3-2-1 Goooooo, ..... have fun".

When we were first in line, a photographer took a photo, and then we heart our Countdown "5-4-3-2-1".

The first KM was a long downhill stretch. We knew from our Coach that this Course was hilly. Spectators were not allowed, and because of our late Start Time, the Park, which the Course runs through, was also closed for regular visitors. We were passed quickly by the Guys starting behind us. They looked very ambitious from the beginning.

Every few meters, some "Castmember" from the Runorganiser showed us the way and cheered us on. As we passed the second group of Castmembers, the Course made a sharp left turn and we saw the first Uphill section. Our pace dropped.

Now it was our turn to pass other Runners. Social distancing was no problem at any time. The Course led us through a beautiful Park. Without the regular Visitors and only a few Castmembers cheering us on, it felt like the 10K at Disneyland Paris. I always cheered back and thanked everyone for being there and cheering us on.

We finished the first loop and enjoyed the setting sun and "blue hour". Most of the time we run on our own. Sometimes we got passed, sometimes we passed others. Like in a real Race :-)

On a downhill section, a couple passed us, during the next uphill section we passed them.

Before the Race, Marco told me that he is not in the best shape. After I took a selfie while running, he said, we need to slow down a bit. So we did.

View attachment 498173

I am not good at Pep Talk, maybe because, in most cases, I am on the receiving end. And to be honest, I do not like it a lot. Anyways, I tried my best to motivate him, and he did well. We finished at 30:08 Minutes.

Behind the Finish Line we got our medals and something to drink. Medals and Drinks laid on tables. Every Runner grabbed a Medal, a bag of Goodies and their Drinks and left the Finish Zone. So did we, sad at a small lake, talked about the Race, made another Photo and left.

View attachment 498172

Finally, it was something that felt nearly like a real Race. The separated Start was fun, the Course was beautiful, and at 19 EUR (~$22) the Price was ok.

These are strange times and I guess, we have to go these extra Miles right now ;)

Thanks for reading, ...

It sounds like you two had a lot of fun! Those buffs/masks are hilarious!

Thanks for explaining in detail how it all worked. I wonder if we'll be seeing more races like this?

May Totals:

Running: 136 miles
Average Pace: 9:21

May was a good month for me.

I've increased my mileage every month this year, although it took an ad hoc 3.4 mile run this afternoon to make it happen.

My pace is faster again this month. I find this hard to believe, but this looks like the fastest monthly pace for the 3 years that I've had the Garmin. Don't get me wrong: I'm not in the best shape ever, it's mostly due to stupid runs, forgetting the principle of slowing down to go speed up.

I'm in the danger zone with increasing mileage and speed, just as the T+D goes up.
So far my body hasn't complained too much, but I need to wise-up before I do some damage.

And here's another shocker: I've lost 12 pounds since the beginning of March. Part of that is probably muscle mass due to not working out as frequently or as vigorously. That's a trick: your weight goes down, but your body fat percentage goes up. I can report that my spare tire has gone from a motorcycle tire to a road bicycle tire. I'm down to my racing weight. Not that it matters since there are no races on the calendar.

On a non-running note: we celebrated our 30th anniversary this month with a quarantine celebration of champagne on the back porch. 30 is the 'Pearl' anniversary, so I made a pearl out of a ball of epoxy putty and craft paint and put it in a jewelry box. For the record, we never get each other presents, so the DW knew from the start that this was a joke. Oh, and you could hear the 'pearl' rolling around in the box.

Congratulations on your anniversary! This sounds like an extra-good reason for a fun trip once it's safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter