The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD: In addition to extra water and body glide, I need to remember to bring something to wipe the sweat so it doesn't get into my eyes. I will carry a buff or cooling towel because I sweat buckets in the summer. I forgot it this morning and it was so hot & humid!!

I’d heard rumors earlier today about Boston, and sad to see the official announcement. It’s one of my favorite days of the whole year.

Pikes Peak Ascent was also canceled today. But the Marathon still has a chance of being run. I believe the shuttles back down the mountain for the Ascent (and the number of people for the trail) was one of the major decision factors for that race.

I thought that was pretty funny and then i kept reading the thread and now i am sad. after seeing the news on boston. i am not surprised but am sad. i am going to have to re qualify. not even sure i will do it virtual not really my thing.

The FAQ on BAA.org suggests you will be able to use your 2020 BQ time for 2021 also. More details to come, apparently.

The FAQ on BAA.org suggests you will be able to use your 2020 BQ time for 2021 also. More details to come, apparently.

Please don't get my hopes up. I think it might be a super small field even if it happened though (sort of like the rD races). So you'd have to have a qualifying time of -20min

Glad the 2020 window is being used for 2021. I’m finally starting to swing into form again but I won’t have anywhere to attempt to qualify probably before reg opens. At least as an adaptive I don’t have to worry about the cutoffs since we have different rules.

I still wanted the jacket. So I ordered it via Marathon Sports since I have a feeling those are going to be going like hotcakes.

unfortunately for me the virtual isn’t an option. I would need to find a local race to safely do it. And there’s pretty much no way that will happen. We don’t have many fulls to begin with and especially not in the fall in CO.

Please don't get my hopes up. I think it might be a super small field even if it happened though (sort of like the rD races). So you'd have to have a qualifying time of -20min

Lots of unknown factors here - field size, number of qualifiers willing to travel, etc. I'm sure the BAA is going to do the best they can to get as many qualifiers as they can into the race. It's going to be interesting to watch.
Thanks to rescheduled races, I was entered in five marathons between Sept. and Nov.! Let's see if any of the other four are held.

Sad to hear about Boston, but I am not surprised. They are trying to keep as many people out of the city as possible right now. I feel really bad for all those who worked to qualify and may not be able to run it next year. It is just enough blow to the local economy as well for what has already been a tough year.

thanks everyone @SarahDisney @BikeFan @dis_or_dat . i saw the FAQs and am happy that i can use my Oct 2018 chicago race to at least apply for 2021. Not sure too many other races will happen between now and Sep 2020 for qualifying. I have no idea what it will bring but i will keep trying.

After i read the news i had to go out for my run (skipped in the morning). am glad though i ran it out. i cut the speedwork since it is hot outside and still ran too fast for conditions since i am not conditioned to the heat yet.

I knew it would get canceled, so i am glad i have not trained hard yet for a race that wont happen, and i am glad i can use my chicago to apply for 2021.

Now i need a shower. that might be TMI :)

Glad the 2020 window is being used for 2021. I’m finally starting to swing into form again but I won’t have anywhere to attempt to qualify probably before reg opens. At least as an adaptive I don’t have to worry about the cutoffs since we have different rules.

I still wanted the jacket. So I ordered it via Marathon Sports since I have a feeling those are going to be going like hotcakes.

unfortunately for me the virtual isn’t an option. I would need to find a local race to safely do it. And there’s pretty much no way that will happen. We don’t have many fulls to begin with and especially not in the fall in CO.

Can you run 26.2 miles around town or on a trail? I was thinking I could do my trail a few times - but I’d have to figure out the liquids situation.

I forgot all about the jacket! Not sure how I feel about it. I’m just trying to process everything. Cancellation is the right move, but I was hoping for a possible deferral. It’s nice that they’re allowing the marathon times to try to qualify for 2021. I heard the Boston marathon atmosphere is amazing - so even if it was allowed to go on, it wouldn’t be the same.

Can you run 26.2 miles around town or on a trail? I was thinking I could do my trail a few times - but I’d have to figure out the liquids situation.

I forgot all about the jacket! Not sure how I feel about it. I’m just trying to process everything. Cancellation is the right move, but I was hoping for a possible deferral. It’s nice that they’re allowing the marathon times to try to qualify for 2021. I heard the Boston marathon atmosphere is amazing - so even if it was allowed to go on, it wouldn’t be the same.

My medical stuff that allowed me to get the bib is the reason why I don’t really run much outdoors unless I have someone near by to come get me if need be (and that’s not a possibility a lot of the time). This stuff is unpredictable. And in a race I can at least flag someone easily enough. Solo on a trail I’m less comfortable. It’s also why my trail racing adventure was so short lived in hindsight. If they allow us to do it indoors I may reconsider since I have a treadmill now I could easily log the distance uninterrupted without concerns. But that’s also contingent on my stamina being back up. Since right now I have the speed but I’m having to rebuild the stamina after the craziness of the last two months. Will see what happens.

Getting the jacket at this point was more to commemorate just how crazy the journey to get here was and how crazy it’s continued to be.

Yeah the choice to not allow deferrals was an odd one. I’m wondering if they might eventually change their minds. If they stick to anywhere near the normal reg dates then they’ll have plenty of time to change decisions if they want. I really feel for the charity runners and hope they get some sort of medium since majority don’t have BQs to resubmit.

I know it sucks and it’s not ideal but you do have several options. There’s marathons at the moment still on in Boulder, Westminster, Ft. Collins, CO Springs and more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter