The Running Thread - 2020

I thought that was pretty funny and then i kept reading the thread and now i am sad. after seeing the news on boston. i am not surprised but am sad. i am going to have to re qualify. not even sure i will do it virtual not really my thing.

I'm sorry to hear about Boston. That's exactly why we decided to go virtual: in case the postponement became a cancellation. Going virtual removes all the FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt).

Virtual is not my deal either, but for Peachtree we're going to do it to keep the streak alive. Plus a virtual 10K with 2 family members is a lot different than a virtual marathon.

Just received an email from my local running club that the remainder of summer races are cancelled (one in July, one in August, one in September). For now, the half marathon and marathon that take place in November are still on. But who knows.

While not unexpected, it still makes me sad.

What about those who have a consecutive Boston Marathon’s streak going? Is there a requirement to run this “virtual race” in order to keep the streak going?

QOTD: As we have experienced a 50 degree swing in temperature over the last week in my area, I find I have forgotten to incorporate previous lessons about running in warm humid conditions. Are there things you know that you forget to incorporated into your running when the seasons change?

Not any longer. I used to have to re-learn each winter what to wear as the temperatures got cold and inveritably overdressed. I started documenting the temperature and wind chill about 2008 and now I just go back to see what I wore for the temperatures. I would suggest adding that information to your notes so you have something to go back to.

I am not surprised about Boston. It is unfortunate and it will likely make it hard to qualify for 2021 if you aren't deferred but it was the right call. We are seeing most of the smaller local races still on if they are after June. I just had the last race I had signed up for before the lock down move to August. I am gaining confidence that smaller races will be on in the late summer or fall but I don't see anything that draws a lot of out of town runners happening.

Any creative minds around?? We may have finally found a pair of kittens to adopt and I was trying to think of Disney-inspired names! 2 boys, black and white...

So far we have:
Olaf/Sven
Woody/Buzz
Max/Goofy

Any other ideas? Parks or movie inspired!

I decided to do something I generally don't do and sign up for a virtual event. It isn't really a race but a local running company is hosting an event that runs all 94 miles of trails in our local National Park (Cuyahoga Valley NP). You get specific sections at a time and it includes trivia about the parks and trails. I'm not sure if any of you live near a National Park or even State or local parks that are doing anything similar but this is a pretty interesting idea outside the norm of a virtual event.

https://runsignup.com/Race/OH/Hudson/cvnp

I decided to do something I generally don't do and sign up for a virtual event. It isn't really a race but a local running company is hosting an event that runs all 94 miles of trails in our local National Park (Cuyahoga Valley NP). You get specific sections at a time and it includes trivia about the parks and trails. I'm not sure if any of you live near a National Park or even State or local parks that are doing anything similar but this is a pretty interesting idea outside the norm of a virtual event.

https://runsignup.com/Race/OH/Hudson/cvnp

That's a really fun idea for a challenge/virtual event.

Just wanted to make sure everyone saw this (free to all who want to participate)... https://www.nnrunningteam.com/marathon

If I'm doing math correctly, registration opens tonight at 3:00am EDT/2:00am CDT/1:00am MDT/12:00 midnight PDT.

You posted this and so I decided, why not? And signed up as an individual to be assigned to a team. Well, the other three people on my team are MUCH faster runners than I am! Hopefully they will keep in mind that there is no prize. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter