The Running Thread - 2019

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas if you celebrate.

I'm not volunteering to be the keeper of this doc for ever, but I created a google sheet for upcoming races and results. I started with a 'word' doc, but the sheet seems more natural for our use. Consider this experimental and just something for us to play around with for now.

The first question is sharing and security. I doubt we want to go to the trouble of allowing access by individual email (I don't). I set it up so that anyone with the link can view/edit the document. I think this means you don't even need a google login to edit it.

The next issue is how to share the link? If I post it in the forum, anyone can see it, even people without a DIS login. This doesn't seem like it would be a problem, but you never know what troublemakers are out there.

The best I could come up with is to add it to my DIS profile, so that only logged in users can see it. Obviously this is not foolproof, but offers at least a tiny bit of protection.

To get the URL (a tinyURL), click on my avatar and click 'About'. You should see the link listed as my website.

I added a separate column for distance, even though most race names contain the distance. I thought it might be fun to see how many of each distance we run by the end of the year.

Any other suggestions? Maybe a PR Y/N column? Same thought: it might be fun to see how many PRs we hit in 2020.

The time columns require the time to be entered with the hour to format correctly, so 38:59 must be entered as 0:38:59.

I added a real race (01/04) and a couple of fake ones to test the sorting.

Let's see how it goes. My experience with lots of people editing a document is that the document gets hosed every time. :)
I am able to read the file but not edit it. I am on an iPhone using Safari and have a Google Drive account. Good try! I am sure we will eventually troubleshoot this!

ATTQOTD: Yes, I would really like the Running Thread to continue being part of my life in 2020. Thanks to @LSUlakes and all contributors for making it so great. A Google file for race list is a great idea 💡

Do you have a test script I can pass

Yes, but we need to have multiple 2 hour meetings (preferably on Friday afternoon) with a dozen people in attendance (with none of them paying attention) to complete the hand-off.

At least, that's the way I learned to do it.

I changed your 13.1 to Half. I (I mean who ever is going to manage this) need to see if there is a way to add a drop-down for a column.

I need to knock 2 or 3 minutes off my half time and run one with you and @KSellers88 and see if I can keep up.

Last edited:
Yes, but we need to have multiple 2 hour meetings (preferably on Friday afternoon) with a dozen people in attendance (with none of them paying attention) to complete the hand-off.

At least, that's the way I learned to do it.
Don’t forget release notes with the changes. The business must have these for review, even though they don’t read them and just ask me what changed. :rotfl2:

... although it didn't seem to like my leap year date...
Looks like since the format is mm/dd it defaults to the current year, which doesn't have 02/29. So in 6 days it will be fixed. How's that for an ex-software guy answer?

It will be interesting to see if it fixes itself or you have to reenter it.

The more that I think about it, we may need to add year. For example: if we stick with it for a whole year, the 2021 Marathon Weekend Races will be mixed up with the 2020 races. Or we just start a new doc.

Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas if you celebrate.

I'm not volunteering to be the keeper of this doc for ever, but I created a google sheet for upcoming races and results. I started with a 'word' doc, but the sheet seems more natural for our use. Consider this experimental and just something for us to play around with for now.

The first question is sharing and security. I doubt we want to go to the trouble of allowing access by individual email (I don't). I set it up so that anyone with the link can view/edit the document. I think this means you don't even need a google login to edit it.

The next issue is how to share the link? If I post it in the forum, anyone can see it, even people without a DIS login. This doesn't seem like it would be a problem, but you never know what troublemakers are out there.

The best I could come up with is to add it to my DIS profile, so that only logged in users can see it. Obviously this is not foolproof, but offers at least a tiny bit of protection.

To get the URL (a tinyURL), click on my avatar and click 'About'. You should see the link listed as my website.

I added a separate column for distance, even though most race names contain the distance. I thought it might be fun to see how many of each distance we run by the end of the year.

Any other suggestions? Maybe a PR Y/N column? Same thought: it might be fun to see how many PRs we hit in 2020.

The time columns require the time to be entered with the hour to format correctly, so 38:59 must be entered as 0:38:59.

I added a real race (01/04) and a couple of fake ones to test the sorting.

Let's see how it goes. My experience with lots of people editing a document is that the document gets hosed every time. :)

Thank you so much for getting this going! I've added my upcoming races. :)

The more that I think about it, we may need to add year. For example: if we stick with it for a whole year, the 2021 Marathon Weekend Races will be mixed up with the 2020 races. Or we just start a new doc.

My vote will be that this document is only for 2020. A new document could be created in December next year for 2021.

I think I added mine properly. That said, anyone ever run an Awesomesauce race? Signed up for Some Like It Cold next month. It looks different- looped course, chill environment.

@LSUlakes thanks for all you’ve done with the Running Thread the past few years. If you can keep it going with a Google Doc, that would be a nice way to continue the tradition while making it much less time consuming for you.
@LSUlakes I’m not sure I have much right voting on this as I have really sucked in keeping up with the 2019 Thread. But I will say thank you for all you have done to keep the thread going and active the past few years! It has been a source of information and connection for a long time. And a place with little to no judgement or online yuckiness. It is awesome that all are welcome, all questions are given respectful response whether it is from a Boston Qualifer or a brand new runner. Let’s keep this going! A google doc along with the thread seems like a good option to me.

Just want to reiterate what these folks have already said. @LSUlakes thanks for all your effort on keeping this going!!

Has anyone ever taken an Uber from MCO straight to the Expo? My wife is going with a friend Princess Weekend and they are doing the 10K (Saturday) and Half (Sunday). They land at 5:10p on Thursday and the expo closes at 8pm. Rather than take DME to PoR and then catch another bus to the Expo, they thought it would be a safer bet to go straight to expo. The reason for trying to cram expo in Thursday is so that they can go to MK on Friday instead of Saturday... it just would work out better. So questions for anyone in the know...
  1. Is luggage permitted at the expo?
  2. Have you ever done this or seen others with luggage at the expo?
  3. Can you even take luggage bus from expo to the hotel (holding in lap if necessary) or would they need to do another Uber to hotel? Not an issue, just checking in advance.
  4. Is anyone willing to admit they've let just their luggage go via MDE (is this a sensitive topic?) while taking their own transportation from MCO?
Looking for any input that might help these 2 out. Thanks in advance.

@Waiting2goback if you have a local runner community or others you run with in your area ask them if they have a PT or sports chiro they recommend. There are a couple names here locally that my runner friends will go to... "this is the PT you want", "this is the chiro you want", "this is the sports massager you want", and if necessary "this is the ortho doctor you want". In all cases, the providers are runners or at least believe that running is a good thing and won't immediately recommend that you give up on running.

In the summer I went to a chiropractor right before I got too deep into my fall marathon cycle... I had never gone to a chiropractor and was a little hesitant. But this guy was recommended to me by several of my runner friends and was quite the accomplished marathoner himself. Anyways, I was having knee pain and immediately assumed I had torn something. He quickly diagnosed it as runners knee and explained that it was due to tightness in my quads. He gave me some simple exercises, reiterated the need for slow warmups, reminded me of the importance of foam rolling, dry-needled me, and told me he didn't need to see me again. Just 1 visit and he got me back on track. He also developed and sells this inexpensive tool on amazon that I had already bought, but didn't really know how to use. He showed me how to use it and now I put it on for a minute or 2 before I do most of my runs. It works pretty well to loosen up tight muscles.

CTM Band
I may not need anything. I took a week off and decided to focus on stretching more during that week. Given my ankle issue was because of tights tendons I assumed this might be the same. I did a quad stretch and felt the tendon that had been bothering me in my knee stretch so I figured that was the problem. Now that I have been stretching more that pain seems to have lessened. I know I am really tight. I think if I could ever consistently do the yoga I know I need to do it would solve a lot of my issues.

I have been running this week again with no real issues. I still need to increase more slowly too I am sure. Bottom line is, I’m running. That’s all that matters. I just need to relax my goals and expectations and everything else will work itself out.

@LSUlakes to answer your question. I never used the thread to track my races. I used it to talk to runners and help when I could. I think you are the only one that should start the thread since you have owned it for the last three years. But I wouldn’t stress about keeping a master list of everyone’s races. The google doc works if we need anything. I’d rather you participate in the thread and keep up your running than spend your time manning a master list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter