The Running Thread - 2019

Its obvious :rotfl:

Yeaaaahhhh...No.

That said, @dis_or_dat enjoy the experience. It's a great race, which I've been fortunate enough to run twice in my home state, but spectator viewing sites by the finish are tight, the expo is major (and crowded) and the whole experience can be more overwhelming than Disney on a summer day.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the replies! Everyone also came to my only other marathon and it was very small and local in the middle of nowhere and I think they were unimpressed - so I think this marathon would be really cool for everyone to experience. I have no plans on racing since I have no plans on returning! haha! Just enjoy it. But now that weather and crowd size was mentioned ... hmmmmmm.

@garneska , it's funny that they still haven't announced field size, but so far there are over 4000 fewer qualifiers. And the last time they changed the qualifying times (2013) they accepted everyone who made it. Next year (2021) is an anniversary year (125th) so that'll be a crazy cut off.

ATTQOTD:
I keep a (paper!) running journal and having all of my race results listed there. I do find myself occasionally looking up past results online (for splits, etc), so maybe I should look into Athlinks.

Yesterday: I usually like to wear my "favorites" (that I try to not over-wear, because I'm weird), but I don't have or do anything specific that I consider lucky.

@garneska , it's funny that they still haven't announced field size, but so far there are over 4000 fewer qualifiers. And the last time they changed the qualifying times (2013) they accepted everyone who made it. Next year (2021) is an anniversary year (125th) so that'll be a crazy cut off.

That makes me happy.

As for you actual question, which i did not give an opinion on earlier, I will now. You can definitely take it with a grain of salt as I have no kids. I think it would be better to leave your son at home. I am not sure how much fun it would be. At Chicago, it was packed with spectators and I expect Boston to be even more packed with spectators. I just think who ever is baby sitting will not have a good time. However, only you know your child and what you are happy with. If you want to bring him, go for it. I would be prepared for MIL to potentially stay at the hotel with your son. Of course they will be near the finish so they could jump out and see you finish, it will be very difficult for them to see you more places along the route.

QOTD:
What do you use (or do you use anything) to keep track of races that you have run?

:surfweb:

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 6.14.26 PM.png

That's just a very very small portion of a single tab that tracks these things. We all know it, I've got an #ExcelProblem.

I also use Strava and Garmin Connect (with favorites) for the data and Athlinks.

Can you sort your runs so you can easily see which ones are races and which ones are training runs? Can Garmin Connect do that?? (Maybe it can on the website, but not in the app???)

I mark my races on Garmin Connect as "favorites" which makes them very easy to find in the "activities" tab. I do it on the website.

Does anyone use a Koala Clip for your phone? Thoughts?

I'm tempted to try it. But.....

This is why every single pair of athletic pants/shorts for women NEED POCKETS!!! AGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry for the side rant...I get irked everytime there is a new helpful way for women to carry their stuff during runs because pockets (and not the weird teeny ones) should be the default in everything.

I'm tempted to try it. But.....

This is why every single pair of athletic pants/shorts for women NEED POCKETS!!! AGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry for the side rant...I get irked everytime there is a new helpful way for women to carry their stuff during runs because pockets (and not the weird teeny ones) should be the default in everything.
While I agree that pockets are awesome, even a lot of guys running shorts don't have pockets. Even with pockets I still need something else to carry my phone cause I don't like it flailing about in my pockets.

While I agree that pockets are awesome, even a lot of guys running shorts don't have pockets. Even with pockets I still need something else to carry my phone cause I don't like it flailing about in my pockets.

Ok, then I'll demand those nice bike short type shorts with non-jostley pockets for under your running shorts for all my fellas too :)

But yeah, I still may try that koala thing.

I like the pockets on these (link), although I don't bring my phone with me. The back middle is not a pouch. I like the mesh zippered pockets in the front and the gels always stay tight to my leg with no movement. I purchased from a different website and can't vouch for the validity of the linked one (the place I purchased from are sold out).

Even with pockets I still need something else to carry my phone cause I don't like it flailing about in my pockets.
Very true. During the 2018 Dark Side Half, the flailing about of my phone in my pocket combined with using it for photos inadvertently opened up my MDE app and managed to cancel my Flight of Passage fastpasses for the next day.

Disney was really good about the whole thing and the next day in Animal Kingdom, they were able to restore my Flight of Passage fastpasses. But after that I don't like my phone in my pocket for running. I always use a belt clip for my phone anyways, so I need to figure something new out after getting a new running belt.

I like the pockets on these (link), although I don't bring my phone with me. The back middle is not a pouch. I like the mesh zippered pockets in the front and the gels always stay tight to my leg with no movement. I purchased from a different website and can't vouch for the validity of the linked one (the place I purchased from are sold out).
I don’t think I’m confident enough to rock those.

Random question are the person in the yellow calf and arm sleeves in RunArnoRun’s 2018 10k video?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter