The Running Thread - 2019

This is why I dislike marathons with a relay option. It can be demoralizing when you’re slogging through those tough miles in the back half of the race only to be blown past by a fresh runner who only has to run their 6.5 miles or so...

At the same time if you pass a relay person its extra fun! LOL. I did this in Birmingham (and I was NOT running a fast race - at all.)

Is there any ritual or gear you save for a race day vs. a normal run?
Sort of. I do most of my training runs in the assortment of race shirts I've now amassed over the years. However, I have also purchased some nicer tech shirts that I save exclusively for longer runs or races because they are more comfortable on those longer runs or races. Same thing with my compression socks. I save exclusively for long runs/races/recovery. I do not need them for most training runs.

I am jumping in with a question of the day:
Is there any ritual or gear you save for a race day vs. a normal run?

ATTQOTD: It's not really a ritual or specifically for race day, but I've got an InkNBurn shirt that "looks" fast to me, so when I race for time I wear it, if possible. Both of my most recent marathon PRs were set wearing the shirt. I will wear it for training occasionally, though.

The closest I come is a special diet leading up to a race designed to do one thing...but that would be TMI.

I am continually finding new "don't"s for my special diet the day before a race. So far the two most spectacular "learning events" have been:

• Ghirardelli dark chocolate hot fudge sundae the night before a half marathon? :sad2: :crazy2:
  • Kale power salad for dinner the day before a marathon? :sad2: 💩

ATTQOTD: Sparkle skirts or Sparkle visors. I train in plain and race in sparkly things. Mostly because I feel weird running around my neighborhood in sparkles. But also they give extra power.
Sometimes when I know a training run is going to be not so fun, I wear a sparkle skirt to act like a personal cheerleader. Otherwise, I usually save them for race day too.

ATTQOTD: I try to eat an egg on race morning because breakfast is often hours before the start. Also, if I have a very early training run, I might skip makeup but never skip it on race day: Feeling good about myself is one of the tools I’ve got to succeed.

ATTQOTD: I have a pair of shoes I wear only for races and a race day playlist. Now I exclusively listen to podcasts on all my runs, so the songs are really fresh. There’s also a tank top I love (plain and grey, but feels like I’m wearing nothing), so I save it for races. Sad to see all those pin holes taking their toll.

Also came back from vacation. Was planning on doing everything on a treadmill, but couldn’t pass up this view!

My husband sent me this article, talk about perseverance!
Fall And Crawl: An Olympic Trials Qualifier's Lesson For Running ... And Life

ATTQOTD-Believe it or not, I always try to wear the event race shirt on race day only. It's great for photos and helping me remember later on what event I ran when I look at the pics. I also DON'T listen to music or podcasts during race day even though I always listen on practice runs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter