The Running Thread - 2019

ATTAOTD: Yes, I have two pair of running pants that started as training pants but showed they also did well for distance races so those are designated as race only wear. For Disney I typically wear a red shirt to match the Minnie Mouse visor; for local races the shirt is whichever one I am trying to wear out/get to shrink past the point of no return in the wash. Like @CDKG I also have 🐾 race dots.

QOTD:
What do you use (or do you use anything) to keep track of races that you have run?

ATTQOTD:
I’m pretty good at putting my half marathons and marathons in ‘my races’ on the half fanatics and marathon maniacs pages, but I don’t have anything to keep track of other distances. Just curious what other people do.

ATTQOTD: I use iSmoothRun, exported to Runkeeper, for all runs and races - iSmoothRun handles my interval alerts, GPS, shoe mileage, nutrition alerts, etc., and Runkeeper keeps all the info long-term.
Can you sort your runs so you can easily see which ones are races and which ones are training runs? Can Garmin Connect do that?? (Maybe it can on the website, but not in the app???)

Can you sort your runs so you can easily see which ones are races and which ones are training runs? Can Garmin Connect do that?? (Maybe it can on the website, but not in the app???)
It's possible Runkeeper can do that - but it's probably in the paid version, if it can, which I don't have. I do title my races, though, and I only run races at certain times of year (because Florida), so it's relatively easy to flip through the list and find them quickly. To be fair, though, I don't race often, which makes it easier. I only look for my HR info on Garmin Connect, so IDK if it has that kind of function. Maybe?

ATTQOTD: I have an Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of all my past races, monthly mileage dating back to 2016 when I started running and my calendar for scheduled runs based on my training plan. I also have a Half Fanatics membership, but I am horrible at remembering to update it. Athlinks is another one I've used, but my spreadsheet really works best for me personally.

ATTQOTD: Add me to the spreadsheet bandwagon. I have a tab on my training spreadsheet where I record all races run, their times, what were PRs and what my top few races were. I also log upcoming races on there so I've got the dates at a glance. Here's a snapshot of what it looks like:

Is there any ritual or gear you save for a race day vs. a normal run?
Why yes, I am more interested in asking than answering... and I got busy.
I asked because I realize I have several pair of shorts, but I only every pick one of them for race day. As they are now discontinued I am pondering saving them for races only.
I seem to forget sunglasses for races- they start in the dark but end up very bright by the end. Every day runs have a more constant light level, so no need to consider 'what do I need in 3 hours?'

QOTD:
What do you use (or do you use anything) to keep track of races that you have run?
When I started tracking anything running, I went straight to excel. I have stopped tracking daily runs in excel in favor of letting garmin do the work, and it exports it to Strava, for which I prefer the graphic interface. I still log race results in excel and prefer that list over what I can click around and get in Garmin Connect or Strava. As courses I run seem to vary quite a bit, even race to race comparison is not a great way to benchmark my own improvement. Post race I also look at standing in AG and gender and dump it into excel. I wanted to see if I was improving relative to the field given the categories available. The answer is maybe.
Now I am more intrigued by how the courses have different participants. Not surprising Princess had the highest % of female participants, but I was surprised at which of our local races were majority male.

ATTQOTD: I label my races on Strava and Garmin. I love how they show up on Strava's "log" with the orange dots. I also use Athlinks.

Advice please: I registered for a marathon yesterday and it's pretty major for me and it seems to be a big and fun environment, so had initially had my entire family coming (rooms booked). Now my husband is suggesting our 2 year old stay home with my MIL since he's an awful sleeper (and it's a 5 hour flight). However we have a suite and my husband graciously said he'll watch him there so I can get some sleep. I have no intention of trying to get back into this marathon, so this would be his only chance to experience this spectacle. Should I bring him? We'd also fly my mom and MIL too - but if he stays home, they'll also stay home.

Last edited:
Advice please: I registered for a marathon yesterday and it's pretty major for me and it seems to be a big and fun environment, so had initially had my entire family coming (rooms booked). Now my husband is suggesting our 2 year old stay home with my MIL since he's an awful sleeper (and it's a 5 hour flight). However we have a suite and my husband graciously said he'll watch him there so I can get some sleep. I have no intention of trying to get back into this marathon, so this would be his only chance to experience this spectacle. Should I bring him? We'd also fly my mom and MIL too - but if he stays home, they'll also stay home.

If you feel like your race experience won't be complete without your son there, then bring him--assuming your finances comply and you set your expectations to be in line with all the things that can happen with travel and a race--even without the added complexity of a toddler added in. Do you think your son--and rest of your family--will appreciate this race experience any more/differently/better than any other race you may do? Are there other activities going on that will make it worthwhile for all? a fun place to visit anyway? All things to consider.

I'm curious what the race is!

ATTQOTD: No, but if I have a bad race in a shirt or skirt, I will wait awhile before using that one again for another race. Also, no wearing the race shirt to the race. I take more care with my race outfits than my daily run outfits, but I run in the same stuff for both. I'll just take more care for a race to match everything well.

ATTQOTD2: I use athlinks to keep track for me. I have a list of my completed states on my phone too.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I label my races on Strava and Garmin. I love how they show up on Strava's "log" with the orange dots. Athlinks also will congregate your races.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on registering for Boston!!! Woo hoo!

Second, do whatever will make the race the most special for you. Especially if you don't plan to requalify any time soon (but methinks this will change haha), you want to have the best experience possible. If that means leaving him home so you can have a stress free weekend, do that. If you will miss him/ feel guilty the whole time, bring him. Think also of the potential weather issues - it could be rainy and/or cold (let's hope not), but if so your husband would have to stay in the room with him and not be able to cheer you on. Either way, we'll be cheering for you!!

Last edited:
QOTD:

Three things. First, I have a text file of races and stats (my place, average pace, age group info, etc.) that I keep on my laptop. Second, I have a Bibfolio that I keep my bibs in and a page for each race. Third, I've made an account on Athlinks and periodically go through and claim my races there.

I don't race that much compared to other folks on this board. Perhaps two "A" races per year and maybe 2 or 3 less important races.

ATTQOTD: I label my races on Strava and Garmin. I love how they show up on Strava's "log" with the orange dots. Athlinks also will congregate your races.

Congrats! I hope to be in your shoes next year this time!

As far as your question... perhaps let your husband decide whether your son comes or not, explaining you know it will be a lot on him if your son comes (even if there are helpers), and want him to enjoy the trip too. It is what I would do for my wife (who has had a hard time with my running).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter