The Running Thread - 2019

QOTD: With the church burning yesterday in France I was thinking about how much history was just lost and how it's something I would never see as it once was, even after the rebuild. So for todays question, what landmark would you like to have seen in it's original state. We will assume for this discussion that time travel is possible lol.

ATTQOTD: So maybe it's not just one site, but an area. I would like to go way back in time and see what ancient Rome looked like when everything was 100% intact.

QOTD: With the church burning yesterday in France I was thinking about how much history was just lost and how it's something I would never see as it once was, even after the rebuild. So for todays question, what landmark would you like to have seen in it's original state. We will assume for this discussion that time travel is possible lol.
Well I certainly would’ve loved to see Notre Dame in its original state. I don’t think much else has been lost while I’ve been alive. I would of course love to see as much of Rome as possible. Europe overall is so rich in historical landmarks. Hopefully someday soon I make it over there.

ATQOTD: The 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride at Disney World. Just kidding. Kind of.

Real answer: I think it would be amazing to see the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

ATTQOTD: We have this discussion at home because my kids love the Magic Treehouse series where the plot is to visit places or times to complete some mission. I would want to make several qualifications for safety and equality, but I would pick seeing Machu Picchu in its operating/designed for state, with a side trip to the sacred valley to see Sacsayhuaman, which amazes me but I fear many people died in the construction and that bothers me.

The Library of Alexandria. Seeing the pyramids, Sphinx, and tombs in Egypt gave a pretty good idea if what they looked like when built. Can't do that for the Library. :)

QOTD: Who has two thumbs and going to be very unproductive for the first half of the day today while watching the marathon...
ATYQOTD: Meeeee!!! What a race that was!

I am absolutely heartbroken over this. As a historian this truly is a sad day for Paris and history over all. That amazing building has survived political upheavals, wars, and years of the elements and to just have that all gone in the space of a feed hours is truly sad. I have been lucky enough to see this place twice and I hope they are able to save something from the original building.
I so feel you on this - I'm an Art History major, so yeah - lots of study time spent on Notre Dame. I'm so glad I was able to see her 15ish years ago. I know she'll be rebuilt, and it sounds like a lot of artwork was saved, and her outer structure stands, which is all very good news.

ATTQOTD: Oh gosh, this is HARD as an historian! I think I have to second ancient Egypt, and add ancient Greece - we have such an ingrained view of what Greek art looked like, based on what we see today. In actuality, all of those stunning works of white marble were originally covered in brightly colored paints. I'd love to see the Acropolis in its original state!

QOTD: I would like to see either the Great Wall of China or the Sydney Opera House or the Acropolis/Parthenon in Greece or Machu Picchu in Peru. I guess that wasn't an answer. If I had to pick one.....I'd like to make it to Australia before I die.

I have been to Europe twice, so I have covered most of the big landmarks in London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Pisa, Prague, and Krakow. I only spent about 2 hours in Florence between trains, but I would love to visit that city for a longer period.

ATTQOTD: What a great question. I have been fortunate enough to have seen a lot of really amazing landmarks all around Europe. But Machu Picchu looks gorgeous. I would love to go to the base camp at Everest. Russia is a place we never made it to but I would love to see. The Berlin wall. And I want to do the Great Wall of China Marathon.
And maybe one of these days I will see some cool things that we have in the US like the Statue of Liberty, Mount Rushmore, and the Grand Canyon.
Thankful that I got to check off New Orleans from that list this past weekend. That city is beautiful.

I would love to go to the base camp at Everest.

I want to do this one so bad!!!! Having some issues talking DW into at the moment. I understand her reason, especially having to leave the kids behind for ~3 weeks.

Thankful that I got to check off New Orleans from that list this past weekend. That city is beautiful.

I have to know where did you go eat while there?!!!

ATTQOTD: Max Yasgur's Farm - Bethel, NY - August 15-18, 1969

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter