• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I gotta have the watch. When I run with others, no earbuds. When I do easier runs solo, I always listen to podcasts. When I do tempo or speed work, I listen to upbeat music. When I do a solo long run, it can go either way (podcast or music) depending on my speed... I sometimes switch to music midway through if I need a pick me up.

QOTD for 3/20/19: Another suggestion from yall as all of this weeks questions have been (Thank you!). Assuming you run with both a watch and music, if you had to do without one, which one are you leaving at home?

The music would stay at home if I had to choose. Like so many others have said, if it's not on Strava it didn't happen.

ATTQOTD:
I want the watch for outdoor runs, I listen to music/podcasts about 25% of the time and I can do without it.
I would pick music over the watch (or any measuring device) for treadmill runs. When I have forgotten my earbuds on the tm I cannot seem to force myself to go nearly as long as with a distraction. Even if the treadmill screen was broken and I had to run for total time by the clock on the wall, I would still pick music over a measurement device.

Questions:

Not really vacations, but I have traveled to New Orleans, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio for races where we spent a night or two. Did Tulsa Rt 66 while were in the area cleaning out my parents house.

Shorts and liners, leave them in and nothing else. When wearing running tights, will put underwear on.

I don't ever run with music.....

QOTD: Assuming you run with both a watch and music, if you had to do without one, which one are you leaving at home?
ATTQOTD: Interesting how things have changed in the information age. Back when I ran with just a Timex Ironman stop watch, I would often purposely leave the watch at home because I had to know how far I was running in advance and I knew approximately how long it would take me so who cares if could follow the time on my wrist. But I would never purposely go out without my iPod. So even in today's day of tracking every step, if it was one or the other, I would go with music over the watch - which is even tougher for me because I stream my music on my watch and do not carry any other devices.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I'd have to say keep the music. The only times in my life I ran without music was when I had to run in PE, and I hated running back then (and in PE the most we ever ran was a mile and a half which I never managed to run without stopping). Then I started running around 11 years ago and my iPod was absolutely essential then. Ran on and off for a few years without a watch, just tracking distances using Mapmyrun and Excel, before I got my Apple Watch a couple of years ago.

So since I actually ran for a few years without a watch it'll probably be easier to do without the watch!

(Then again - when my old Apple watch broke, I also went straight to the Apple store and bought a new one - so dependent on it now to track my runs and so used to having one now!)

QOTD for 3/20/19: Another suggestion from yall as all of this weeks questions have been (Thank you!). Assuming you run with both a watch and music, if you had to do without one, which one are you leaving at home?

If it were a race with post-run splits, then I could go without the watch. Mostly because I race blind. So the watch is only capturing data to be reviewed later.

If it were a training run, then I could go without the music. Mostly because I want the watch data to review and improve upon. Although, I've not charged my apple ipod shuffle a few times and those runs were always much more difficult for me.

QOTD: go without music. I rarely run with music/podcasts/audiobooks unless I have to run indoors, so I’m used to it! But I have to have my data!

That was really cool! You definitely got to put your training to use out there. Congratulations!

Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing the link! Fun to watch!

Thanks!

ATTQOTD: This question is exactly why Garmin added music to the Fenix series and other models of their multi-sport watches. Now you can have both and not really sacrifice the performance of either the music or the watch.

ATTQOTD- I use both music/podcasts and a watch during runs. Music would be the first to go but I feel 39% confident that I could give up BOTH if I really had to.

Yesterday’s ATTQOTD: I usually keep the liners and go with nothing else... however chafing is always an issue where I live(FL). I use goldbond friction defense for most runs and that helps with thigh/hip/and belt line chafing... however my longer runs require petroleum jelly for certain parts, and that was a very important discovery lmao!! I’m going to try short tights soon, and depending on how they help/hurt the chafing issues they may become my go to.

ATTQOTD: That’s easy I don’t listen to music, and it doesn’t count if the watch doesn’t record...JK... or am I...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter