The Running Thread - 2019

Is it bad to be doing longer interval runs like I'm doing? Does it matter? Eventually, I'd like to increase my running and decrease my walking and do a half marathon and then a full. I'm just trying to figure out if I train or run "wrong."
I don't believe there is a "wrong" way of interval-ing - if what you're doing works best for you, no need to change it. But if you don't try any other interval options, you'll never know, right?! FWIW, I use a variety of different interval ratios for different purposes. For instance, I like :30/:30 for race distances of 13.1-26.2: I know I can stick to them with minimal effort, and it's also very easy to pick up the pace by skipping some walk intervals, or dealing with course congestion by skipping some run intervals, and I'm only ever :30 away form a change when I want it. When running in the extreme heat of summer here in FL, I often lower my run intervals to :30 and up my walk intervals to :45 or 1:00 to reduce the risk of overheating. But if I'm doing a workout specifically geared toward building endurance, I may go with 2-3:00 run intervals with 1-1:30 walk intervals.

QOTD: Outside of Disney have you ever done a running centric vacation?
Nope!

QOTD: Running shorts liners. Do you cut them out? And if you keep them, do you wear them with or without underwear?
ATTQOTD: For the longest time, I could not find traditional running shorts with those panty-style liners that stayed put, so I tried cutting out the liner in a pair, thinking I could wear them over compression shorts instead... nope. The loose short on top just created the wedgie of all wedgies over the shiny compression shorts underneath. Thank all that is good in this world for skorts.

P.S.: @LSUlakes I'm very sorry about Dixie. I'm starting the mental preparation for what's to come with my very old senior cat, and it's hard, I know. Sending comforting thoughts your way.

@FFigawi...congrats to you and Harlow. Fantastic run.

Thanks! She ran her heart out all weekend long.

You had a nice clean run, which wasn't the norm for most of the group. It was fun watching the dogs at the end - so many just wanted to play tug with their leash.

That's pretty much all they want to do when they're done running. It's one of the best training tools around since you'll always have a leash handy.

Great job! I love Harlow's enthusiasm, so cute and very well trained! Congrats!

Thank you! She's a good girl.

QOTD: Running shorts liners. Do you cut them out? And if you keep them, do you wear them with or without underwear?

My running shorts have a compression short built into them, so no need for anything else.

QOTD: Outside of Disney have you ever done a running centric vacation?

I've never gone on vacation specifically to run except for Disney, but I've run while on vacation. (We do the Turkey Trot every year while visiting my in-laws.)

I buy shorts without liners. I don't care for the liners.

TMI: ATTQOTD: My non-compression shorts all have liners. I leave the liners in and would never:
@Keels (no math)
1. Cut them out
B. Wear underwear with the liner, because that is weird.

My compression shorts don't have liners so I wear underwear with those. I've tried going commando, but it's not a good thing.

So while we are in TMI/liner mode: I have a pair of shorts with neon yellow liners. What's up with that? If I'm suddenly stranded on a desert island, I can turn my running shorts inside out and be rescued?

Last edited:
Anyone in the Gulf Shores, Alabama area? Looking for information about the LuLu’s Hot Trot for ARC 5k in June. Beyond the date I can find no information. Thanks.:thanks:

I don't believe there is a "wrong" way of interval-ing - if what you're doing works best for you, no need to change it. But if you don't try any other interval options, you'll never know, right?! FWIW, I use a variety of different interval ratios for different purposes. For instance, I like :30/:30 for race distances of 13.1-26.2: I know I can stick to them with minimal effort, and it's also very easy to pick up the pace by skipping some walk intervals, or dealing with course congestion by skipping some run intervals, and I'm only ever :30 away form a change when I want it. When running in the extreme heat of summer here in FL, I often lower my run intervals to :30 and up my walk intervals to :45 or 1:00 to reduce the risk of overheating. But if I'm doing a workout specifically geared toward building endurance, I may go with 2-3:00 run intervals with 1-1:30 walk.

I tend to agree with this. If it works for you, it’s not “wrong.” The only thing I’d suggest is that you be open minded about trying different ones to see if there is something that works better. You might be surprised! I don’t mean specifically you, but anyone who runs intervals.

I also don’t really recommend running until you can’t and then walking. I’m sure some do it and it works for them, but the point of intervals is to keep your pace consistent and strong. If you wait until you’re already tired, it might slow you down or cause you to have to walk more. Just my two cents!

ATTQOTD: I tried wearing underwear under my shorts with liners, hated every step. So Liners/no underwear for me. Also, as my wife is my laundry angel (seriously, anyone willing to do my laundry so I don't have to is an angel, I will scrub toilets and clean up after our dogs before I will volunteer for laundry duty), its one less piece of clothing for her to wash every day.

Savannah sounds like a great place for a race.
It was a great place to run today 60F with a nice breeze. :)

ATTQOTD yesterday: I have only ever taken run-centric trips to Disney. This December I will be taking my first non Disney one. A long weekend in San Antonio for Rock n Roll Half.

ATTQOTD today: I can only run in capris. I do have a pair of shorts with a liner, and am confused by it, but since I just wear them for errands or Pilates/yoga I have left the liner in and wear underwear.

ATTQOTD: I have some running shorts with liners, some without. For the shorts with liners, I sometimes wear underwear and sometimes don't. I have never cut out the liners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter