The Running Thread - 2018

@LSUlakes I'm so sorry about Dixie. I would have made the same decision. :(

ATTQOTD: Nothing too exciting. We get a pint glass for our local Shamrox 15K race and we get a small cowbell from the Mo' Cowbell races in St. Charles. Both of those are fun.

QOTD: In the comments I noticed a few remarks about cool things yall have received from running a race. So I figured I would ask everyone whats the coolest thing or what were you most excited about getting from a race?

$$$ is my first answer, although not the most unusual and definitely not that frequent. Some of my race faves:

Home plate from a Cincinnati Reds race. The awards ceremony was a few weeks later and was awarded before a game--I got to go out on the field.

Reds web.jpg

A sculpture from a half marathon. I won the race the following year and that award is the wood thing behind it. I still like the sculpture.

untitled web.jpg

Bricks. If you aren't familiar, one of the things about Miami University and Oxford, OH is its red-brick roads (a small portion of the roads). It is significant to me because I graduated from there.

bricks web.jpg

This probably means the most to me and I won for 2nd place in the Flying Pig along with the plaque. I LOVE that jacket and have already had to replace the zipper once. Side note--don't ever buy a white jacket.

18301347_10210257848937213_194034379875820343_n.jpg

Other things I have gotten and liked: beer glasses (although I have enough to support a small bar), beer (as in a 6 pack), a sash (LOVED it and wore it all day like Miss America), a laurel wreath (we can all pretend to be Boston champs), and GOOD quality clothing.

Things I hope to never see or receive again: cheap string backpack bags--I have so many and don't get rid of them, plastic reusable water bottles--again, so many.

Attachments

• beer glasses web.jpg
    beer glasses web.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 9
  • WDW 2017.jpg
    WDW 2017.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 9
Update on my pup Dixie:

I brought her to another vet yesterday for two reasons. One just have have another professional opinion and this vet was better trained using a ultrasound. First thing, I really liked this vet and the time she spent with us. After the ultrasound they brought out a bowl with chicken in it for the dog, which Dixie really enjoyed lol. Well the news... Her tumor is a little larger than originally thought, the size of a cantaloupe. It's orgin is from the liver, and while they can remove parts of the liver it appears that the amount needed to be removed may be more than she could survive without. At best, surgery is a hail mary type of attempt. Without removing all of it, we would soon be back where we are today. We opted to not move forward with a surgery and just enjoy what time we have left with our pup.
I am so sorry to hear that. I think you are making the right decision. The surgery sounds like a long shot and could be so traumatizing for her. Keep her comfortable and giver her lots of love and Happy Meals.

Update on my pup Dixie:

I brought her to another vet yesterday for two reasons. One just have have another professional opinion and this vet was better trained using a ultrasound. First thing, I really liked this vet and the time she spent with us. After the ultrasound they brought out a bowl with chicken in it for the dog, which Dixie really enjoyed lol. Well the news... Her tumor is a little larger than originally thought, the size of a cantaloupe. It's orgin is from the liver, and while they can remove parts of the liver it appears that the amount needed to be removed may be more than she could survive without. At best, surgery is a hail mary type of attempt. Without removing all of it, we would soon be back where we are today. We opted to not move forward with a surgery and just enjoy what time we have left with our pup.

I'm sorry that this is the outcome, but know that your remaining time with her will be filled with love (and extra dog treats).

Update on my pup Dixie:

I’m so sorry to hear this.

I've been off the boards for a while and also stopped running for a few months. I got married (yay!), broke two of my toes on our honeymoon (less yay) and then once healed, started working crazy hours (no yay at all). I ran the marathon in January and decided I want to run it again in 2020 and improve my time. Does anyone have a good long term training program that would help to increase speed and also not die? Realistically, I can only run 4 times per week. I used the Galloway plan for the 2018 marathon, which was great, but I also feel like I can push myself to be a little faster than what the plan recommends.

In case its helpful, I'm 30, in good-ish shape, and ran the marathon at an 11ish minute pace if you take out the time for riding RnR.

Update on my pup Dixie:

I'm so sorry. :(

@LSUlakes sorry to hear that man. May you have some last good times together.

I've been off the boards for a while and also stopped running for a few months. I got married (yay!), broke two of my toes on our honeymoon (less yay) and then once healed, started working crazy hours (no yay at all). I ran the marathon in January and decided I want to run it again in 2020 and improve my time. Does anyone have a good long term training program that would help to increase speed and also not die? Realistically, I can only run 4 times per week. I used the Galloway plan for the 2018 marathon, which was great, but I also feel like I can push myself to be a little faster than what the plan recommends.

In case its helpful, I'm 30, in good-ish shape, and ran the marathon at an 11ish minute pace if you take out the time for riding RnR.

I can help come up with something for you. I write custom training plans based around an individual's goals, fitness, time available, etc. It certainly wouldn't be from today through the 2020 marathon though as I usually aim to cycle the training every 16-20 weeks. Just send me a PM.

QOTD: In the comments I noticed a few remarks about cool things yall have received from running a race. So I figured I would ask everyone whats the coolest thing or what were you most excited about getting from a race?

Last year I ran a small 5k (around 80-90 runners) put on by our high school. Over the eight years my family has been involved with the school (two boys going through) I never did this race. For my younger son's senior year I decided to participate. It was mostly students, teachers and some parents - all people affiliated with the school. It was a nice event though hardly a professional effort. I ended up finishing first and was awarded a gym bag. I don't much care for "stuff" (plaques, medals, shirts and the like) but this was ok. My wife wanted it so I gave it to her. Three months later she was using it for something and found $100 in tens and twenties rolled up in one of the compartments. I guess that was the first place prize money. Either that or one of the teachers organizing the race had used it for an illicit transaction prior to donating it for a prize.

Sadly, my wife took the position that when I gave her the bag all contents conveyed.

ATTQOTD: Definitely the surprise ears at the WDW Marathon this year!

This for me too!

Update on my pup Dixie:

I'm so sorry! :(

Update on my pup Dixie:

I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for y'all and sweet Dixie. :hug:

Seriously considering a DNS for my race this Saturday. I would be running betwen 8-11 am. :( Plus we have to drive up Friday night and spend the night in a hotel because of ice on the roads in the early a.m. So many other things I could use that money for rather than paying to freeze my butt off and be miserable for 2:40. :confused3 ETA: The race is 1.5 hours away.upload_2018-12-5_13-34-9.png

@LSUlakes So sorry for your hard decision. Dixie will be loved until the end, and, after all, that is what we all want and need! Prayers for your family as you go through this tough time.

Seriously considering a DNS for my race this Saturday. I would be running betwen 8-11 am. :( Plus we have to drive up Friday night and spend the night in a hotel because of ice on the roads in the early a.m. So many other things I could use that money for rather than paying to freeze my butt off and be miserable for 2:40. :confused3 ETA: The race is 1.5 hours away.View attachment 368535
Those do not look like fun conditions to run in.

The half I ran in the middle of October started to rain immediately after crossing the start line and rained for the entire race. It even heavily down poured for a good mile or two - which made for fun water crossings... Thankfully the temp started around 50, but a cold front was set to come through during the race. I’ve never been happier that I ran the half instead of the marathon. I felt bad for the marathoners out there. The cold front blew through about 2-2.5 hours after the race start, so the temp plummeted to about freezing with 20mph north wind, and it was still raining/misting - a snowflake or two may have been seen... I did go back and cheer for about an hour at mile 20, with dry clothes to start, lots of layers, and I handed out hand warmers. Once I ran out of hand warmers I went back to the finish to cheer a few more people on. I eventually kind of got soaked through, got cold, and left. I think the biggest problem with this race is that it started out warm and people weren’t prepared to deal with the cold wind and rain after getting soaked. I think the people that kept their ponchos on fared the best. One of my friends wore her Disney poncho the whole race!

I think you could possibly do it, but be prepared, and it might be miserable.

Those do not look like fun conditions to run in.

The half I ran in the middle of October started to rain immediately after crossing the start line and rained for the entire race. It even heavily down poured for a good mile or two - which made for fun water crossings... Thankfully the temp started around 50, but a cold front was set to come through during the race. I’ve never been happier that I ran the half instead of the marathon. I felt bad for the marathoners out there. The cold front blew through about 2-2.5 hours after the race start, so the temp plummeted to about freezing with 20mph north wind, and it was still raining/misting - a snowflake or two may have been seen... I did go back and cheer for about an hour at mile 20, with dry clothes to start, lots of layers, and I handed out hand warmers. Once I ran out of hand warmers I went back to the finish to cheer a few more people on. I eventually kind of got soaked through, got cold, and left. I think the biggest problem with this race is that it started out warm and people weren’t prepared to deal with the cold wind and rain after getting soaked. I think the people that kept their ponchos on fared the best. One of my friends wore her Disney poncho the whole race!

I think you could possibly do it, but be prepared, and it might be miserable.

That sounds brutal! I would have been happy with just the half too. My race is a half also. I honestly cannot decide what to wear! I am NOT fast and I do run/walk intervals - considering wearing my Columbia Vertex jacket but I would never ditch it if I got too hot so I would be stuck with it for the whole race. I do have a clear garbage bag already packed. I may run the whole race in that, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter