The Running Thread - 2018

As an unrequsted updated, I went back to try on more shoes today and bought the less desired color.
I specifically called to ask if the person who helped me 2 models ago was there and waited for him to be free. The guy pulled out my insoles and pointed to a spot and asked if I get a blister there- I do! The three other people I have brought those shoes to have never bothered to look inside my shoes. And the internet can't do that either, so I will go back and buy more stuff from there. I was so happy with the experience I did not even think to ask about them having the shoes in a better color. But I figure if I love the new shoes I can buy them in all the colors I do not like and the ones I do twice before they change the model and I find myself crying they ruined the shoes I love with a redesign.

Follow up question: I've been to local running shops 3x this week, and the people who work there are bundled up as if they are about to go outside. Do you think they do go outside all the time or just have zero body fat to keep them warm inside?

@LSUlakes ....sorry the news about Dixie isn't better. A few years ago we received unexpected and devastating news about our 8 year old Lab. We got 4 extra months with him, lots of pizza bones, Happy meals, car rides, and family love. Having that extra time really helped when it was time to let go.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I don't purchase much. Shoes and socks online. I have been known to buy a different shoe or brand and been relatively lucky with the outcome.

No need to buy shirts, I've got a drawer full of race shirts I can wear.
I splurged at walmart this summer and bought a generic version of body glide and some new running shorts. Exciting, right?

ATTQOTD: cool running stuff in no particular order:

Race themed socks
Glow in the dark shoelaces
Light up sunglasses
A stemless wine glass
A beach towel
A fleece blanket that I keep in my car
A portable umbrella that you can wear on your head
A Santa suit from last year's Santa run. It's better quality than I expected and we plan to wear it to the hockey game next week

Update on my pup Dixie:

I brought her to another vet yesterday for two reasons. One just have have another professional opinion and this vet was better trained using a ultrasound. First thing, I really liked this vet and the time she spent with us. After the ultrasound they brought out a bowl with chicken in it for the dog, which Dixie really enjoyed lol. Well the news... Her tumor is a little larger than originally thought, the size of a cantaloupe. It's orgin is from the liver, and while they can remove parts of the liver it appears that the amount needed to be removed may be more than she could survive without. At best, surgery is a hail mary type of attempt. Without removing all of it, we would soon be back where we are today. We opted to not move forward with a surgery and just enjoy what time we have left with our pup.

i am so sorry for you and your family. Enjoy all the time you can.

Update on my pup Dixie:

I brought her to another vet yesterday for two reasons. One just have have another professional opinion and this vet was better trained using a ultrasound. First thing, I really liked this vet and the time she spent with us. After the ultrasound they brought out a bowl with chicken in it for the dog, which Dixie really enjoyed lol. Well the news... Her tumor is a little larger than originally thought, the size of a cantaloupe. It's orgin is from the liver, and while they can remove parts of the liver it appears that the amount needed to be removed may be more than she could survive without. At best, surgery is a hail mary type of attempt. Without removing all of it, we would soon be back where we are today. We opted to not move forward with a surgery and just enjoy what time we have left with our pup.

I think it’s the right decision. It I am assuming she isn’t suffering, right?

QOTD: I don’t recall anything extra special from a race. I would have to say the Mickey ears from the marathon last year.

ATTQOTD: I got a nice cooling towel from Under the Oaks half. It has the race logo on it. I use them a lot in the summer so it was a nice addition to my RunDisney stash.

That sounds brutal! I would have been happy with just the half too. My race is a half also. I honestly cannot decide what to wear! I am NOT fast and I do run/walk intervals - considering wearing my Columbia Vertex jacket but I would never ditch it if I got too hot so I would be stuck with it for the whole race. I do have a clear garbage bag already packed. I may run the whole race in that, lol.
I would say - go ahead and wear the garbage bag! :) It should help keep you dryer and warmer and be a wind break.

@LSUlakes Sorry to hear the sad news about your dog. Given the circumstances, I think you made the right decision. Enjoy your remaining time with her.

ATTQOTD: Not very original, but mine are medals. The inaugural Star Wars Half Medal and the 2017 Kessel Run and Coast to Coast medals. The inaugural half medal because it was patterned after the medal given out at the end of the original movie and the ribbon looked like they finally gave the medal to Chewbacca. 2017 Kessel Run because of the 40th anniversary of Star Wars in 2017 and because earning that medal meant doing things I once believed to be impossible. 2017 Coast to Coast because it had both castles on it for the 10th anniversary.

Good ones. I'd do any of these. #totallyserious :)

March Shamrock Shuffle (but it may be COLD and it's an 8k so you may want to travel for something longer?)
May Chicago Spring and Sept Chicago Half Marathons usually are good and have nice medals
May Cinco De Miler (5 mile)
May Soldier Field 10 miler (I know, I know...but its not explicitly bears...and the medals and shirts are cool...do it for the soldiers!!! Wear your green and yellow and get a PR from being chased!)
Rock N Roll 10k/Half is July
Sep Run Mag Miler (10k)
Hot Chocolate 15k Oct/Nov

Here's a few more Chicagoland runs. I am planning on running all of them.

January 26th: F3 Lake Half Marathon (on the path along Lake Michigan; pre and post race inside Soldier Field)
May 5th: Great Western Half Marathon (point to point along an old train "bed"
June 2nd: North Shore Half Marathon (streets)
September 28th Moraine Hills Run for the Hills Half Marathon (forest preserve trails)
October 12th Des Plaines River Trail Marathon (forest preserve trails)

@LSUlakes I'm so sorry! I know your pup will feel all your love for whatever time you have left. Virtual head scratches being sent.

ATTQOTD: I really liked that at the Chicago marathon finisher chute they had a type of Goose Island beer only for that day and it was only available in the finisher chute and you had to empty the can before exiting. Although I could only stomach drinking half of it and had to empty the rest...it felt like something extra special and exclusive. Not anything you could hand off to a friend or family. Only I knew what it tasted like (well and the other thousands of finishers who had room in their stomachs.)

For actual swag...I love the hot chocolate jackets. Each year they have a vote on color or style and I swear they always pick the one I don't prefer. And yet the jackets are always so nice. I'm talking thumb holes, real pockets with zippers, adjustable hoods, etc. 10/10

ATTQOTD:
Favorite swag
Much as I love some of the Disney shirts, honestly the Space Coast marathon shirts are cooler. :duck:
The Mercury mission shirt this year was amazing, with the capsule on a starscape on the front, a capsule re-entering the earth's atmosphere on the back, the Mercury rocket on the left arm and all the mercury mission patches on the right arm. My inner child space geek can't get enough of it (and will literally be running the race for the next 3 years to collect similar shirts for all the missions...)

Most used swag (outside of shirts)
The bib clips that Disney gave out to runners at Princess this year. I've used them for every race since, and they hold the bib nicely in place without wrecking my shirts.

Follow up question: I've been to local running shops 3x this week, and the people who work there are bundled up as if they are about to go outside. Do you think they do go outside all the time or just have zero body fat to keep them warm inside?

My vote is that there is a lower store temperature than people would normally be comfortable with so that customers are comfortable shopping with their coats on, which leaves their hands free to pick up more merchandise to purchase. My follow up vote is for a combination of the above, a poorly designed HVAC system and check out being right next to the door to outside.

I think it’s the right decision. It I am assuming she isn’t suffering, right?

If she is, she is not showing signs of it. A way it was explained what she was likely experiencing would be like she was pregnant and about to deliver any day now. So comfortable maybe not, but not in constant pain. At least thats how it seems. The vet said the main sign to look for is a change in eating. Normal Dixie eats her scoop of food in like 15 seconds. When she refuses to eat or is no longer in her food that is her way of telling us shes feeling it and then it will be on us to make the decision.

I bet they go outside a lot to watch people run during shoe try ons. My local store encourages me run in their parking lot when making shoe decisions.

ATTQOTD prefered swag: My medals and some shirts. Also, the Oreo in the snack bag at Disney.

If I am allowed to include my purchases as swag, then, the Epcot with Monorail Bead frim Pandora is one of my best. I am really happy with my medal holder too.

@LSUlakes sorry to hear about the updated prognosis, I also would have made the same decision. Enjoy the remaining time you ave with her

ATTQOTD for my $150 Auckland marathon I got a cap at registration, a pack of snack balls, and a powerade at the finish. No beer, tech shirts were an additional charge...

If she is, she is not showing signs of it. A way it was explained what she was likely experiencing would be like she was pregnant and about to deliver any day now. So comfortable maybe not, but not in constant pain. At least thats how it seems. The vet said the main sign to look for is a change in eating. Normal Dixie eats her scoop of food in like 15 seconds. When she refuses to eat or is no longer in her food that is her way of telling us shes feeling it and then it will be on us to make the decision.

That makes sense. Hopefully you get a few more months with her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter