The Running Thread - 2018

I buy as much as I can from our local running store (woman and veteran owned) - she’s amazing and so supportive of the running community and the community as a whole. She stocks well-curated, great products, and fit my shoes perfectly - I’ve run pain free with them.

Some of the clothes are pricey though - esp for something that will be smelly in no time. So I do buy leggings online from old navy.

These days, most shirts are race shirts - so I guess that isn’t online either.

In other news, 2019 is shaping up to be the year of the 10 miler. I’ve got one in february, and I signed up for the New England 10 miler series today (Portland, ME in April, Newport, RI in June, and Stowe, Vt in November)!

QOTD: Lets discuss purchasing running gear online today. What do you buy online for running? If you buy shoes, is it the same pair so your not worried about trying them on? For something important like shoes, and new types how do you make a decision to purchase them? How about other things like shorts and shirts? What other things have you purchased online for running?

ATTQOTD: My online purchases for running a usually very safe items. I've purchased things like GU, body glide, and that 360 light up vest thing. I've never purchased shoes, shorts, or a running shirt online because I feel like I need to see and feel them. In fact I try on running shorts before purchase. I dont like really short or really long shorts and every brand fits a little different so I try them on before purchasing. I'm 6'-5" so shorts are a challenge.
I buy accessories like reflector vests and LED beanies. I had less success with a armband but that was because my phone was huge back then. I bought one pair of shoes which was the same model as my other ones and could easily be returned at a store. For everything else, I prefer to try it on.

Today started week four of my plan post the surgeons thumbs up to returning to activity. The plan currently includes 100 meters running/100 meters walking. I completed four miles this evening and although my ankle is giving me dirty looks, I am very happy!

ATTQOTD: I don’t like to order shoes or clothes online, but I do use online ordering for Nuitrition like Tailwind and Shot Bloks and for gear and accessories. My local shoe store has a semi-annual sale taht allows me to stock up on shoes at a great rate so online prices are generally not as good. The rest of it though seems to be best online.

Oh, and on the football note as a Saints fan; this weekend I will also be a Bears fan. Go beat those Rams!

I may be done running for a while. I fear this is the case anyway. My right ankle has been hurting to walk. It may be at the point I can’t delay surgery any longer. I am going to rest it a few more days and see what happens. If it doesn’t feel better soon I will schedule an appt with my doctor to get the surgery process started. I was supposed to do a 1/2 in Feb followed by a couple days at WDW. Then I have a trip to WDW in April so I don’t know how I will manage those on crutches. I am hoping it feels better and I can get a few more months out of it. :sad:

Hope your ankle feels better after some rest

I may be done running for a while. I fear this is the case anyway. My right ankle has been hurting to walk. It may be at the point I can’t delay surgery any longer. I am going to rest it a few more days and see what happens. If it doesn’t feel better soon I will schedule an appt with my doctor to get the surgery process started. I was supposed to do a 1/2 in Feb followed by a couple days at WDW. Then I have a trip to WDW in April so I don’t know how I will manage those on crutches. I am hoping it feels better and I can get a few more months out of it. :sad:

@Waiting2goback I am so sorry to hear this! I hope some rest and therapy can hold off surgery for awhile. Surgery sucks!!!! Sorry you have to deal with this.

QOTD: Which run during your week do you not look forward to doing, but do it anyway because it will make you a better runner?

ATTQOTD: The answer would be speed work. Hate it, but next to the long run, its the most important for making gains. However, since I am on this crazy plan of just getting ready for 26.2, it's been cut out for now. Will resume after marathon is complete.

Also, I want to thank all of you for the kind comments about our dog. We are waiting for the vet to call us as we have some questions to ask that will help us make whatever decisions we need to make. We told DD5 that her puppy is sick. She said she just needs some medicine or a shot. This is going to be difficult down the road as it's going to be her first experience with the whole life/death situation. My heart hurts for her.

Hope your ankle feels better after some rest

@Waiting2goback I am so sorry to hear this! I hope some rest and therapy can hold off surgery for awhile. Surgery sucks!!!! Sorry you have to deal with this.

Thanks guys. I knew it would be coming soon, that's why I wait til last minute to register for races. I actually remember the race when the right ankle first had an issue, which was 7/3/16, so to get this much time from it is good. We'll see what happens. This one now feels different than the left did because this one hurts on both sides of the ankle, not just the outside.

QOTD: In the comments I noticed a few remarks about cool things yall have received from running a race. So I figured I would ask everyone whats the coolest thing or what were you most excited about getting from a race?

ATTQOTD: Mine is a pint class. The top had a line that said start and at the bottom another for the finish. Thought it was really cool pint class.

QOTD: In the comments I noticed a few remarks about cool things yall have received from running a race. So I figured I would ask everyone whats the coolest thing or what were you most excited about getting from a race?

My back to back medal at Comrades :)

The sweatshirt from my first 50-mile race and the hoody from my favorite 50k (seen in pic below) are pretty cool too.

Probably a cream puff. I haven’t received many cool things outside of medals.

ATTQOTD: My local fall half/full race used to add a ‘gift’ at pickup besides the finisher’s shirt. Besides Disney’s long sleeve shirts, these two items I use the most: cheap touch screen gloves, but they work for what I need them too! And a micro fiber type towel that has an image of a city bridge and statue (as well as the race mascot. I use this as a seat cover in my car after a run/workout.

Update on my pup Dixie:

I brought her to another vet yesterday for two reasons. One just have have another professional opinion and this vet was better trained using a ultrasound. First thing, I really liked this vet and the time she spent with us. After the ultrasound they brought out a bowl with chicken in it for the dog, which Dixie really enjoyed lol. Well the news... Her tumor is a little larger than originally thought, the size of a cantaloupe. It's orgin is from the liver, and while they can remove parts of the liver it appears that the amount needed to be removed may be more than she could survive without. At best, surgery is a hail mary type of attempt. Without removing all of it, we would soon be back where we are today. We opted to not move forward with a surgery and just enjoy what time we have left with our pup.

Update on my pup Dixie:

I brought her to another vet yesterday for two reasons. One just have have another professional opinion and this vet was better trained using a ultrasound. First thing, I really liked this vet and the time she spent with us. After the ultrasound they brought out a bowl with chicken in it for the dog, which Dixie really enjoyed lol. Well the news... Her tumor is a little larger than originally thought, the size of a cantaloupe. It's orgin is from the liver, and while they can remove parts of the liver it appears that the amount needed to be removed may be more than she could survive without. At best, surgery is a hail mary type of attempt. Without removing all of it, we would soon be back where we are today. We opted to not move forward with a surgery and just enjoy what time we have left with our pup.
OMG, so sad. I was really hoping for better news. Such an adorable dog. So very sorry for you all.

Update on my pup Dixie:

Sad news. Sorry you & your family have to do this.

ATTQOTD: Like I said yesterday, my race on Sunday is giving out 3/4 zip pullovers. When I went to the registration screen for the final time (because I had a terrible time committing to this race) it said "ONLY 10 LEFT" -- welp, I gotta have that so here I am. I am really excited to get some ears after the Marathon at WDW. I know they aren't cool and a surprise like last year, but I love that I am getting something a little extra from my first Marathon. Other than that, I haven't gotten anything outside of medals which I love to collect so that works for me! Always a bonus: free booze.

@LSUlakes I'm so sorry! Give her lots of snuggles and a boop on the nose from me! <3

ATTQOTD: Outside of finisher medals and shirts I have not received anything interesting at a race except for a few trophies for placing in my age group in the 5K's I ran years ago. I am actually a much faster short distance runner than long distance but hate doing 5K's and have not done one since 2014. I did place first in the Clydesdale division at my one and only 10K this summer and received a plaque. Again, not very interesting...

Last edited:
Update on my pup Dixie:

I’m so sorry. I know it’s a hard decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter