The Running Thread - 2018

QOTD: Looks like I will need something to hold my phone during the marathon this year. I have a iphone 10 or whatever it called, not thats really the most relevant part of the question. Anyway, those who run with your phone, what you use to hold it during the run? Do you bring a extra battery as well and what do you do with it?

I have an iPhone 7 and still use an armband. If I want to take pics, I hold in my hand....it's difficult to get it back in the armband without unstrapping.
No extra battery.

I tried putting the phone in my pockets but it's heavy and moves around too much.

Getting a new iPhone next month and will have to look at a new armband or pouch to hold it.

As far as carrying the phone, I was able to convince DH I needed a SparkleSkirt for this very reason. I dont like the idea of wearing a belt to carry my stuff or anything similar. I've done the arm band and it starts irritating me after a little while.

As far as battery life, I am very concerned about this. We still use the 5s. I have to charge it every night. DH has been looking at getting new phones before January for this reason. We shall see.

I used to use a Spibelt back when I had an iPhone 5 (I SO miss that phone because it was small and easily fit). A Flipbelt works better for me.
I used to like my Spibelt when I had a 5S too, but once I upgraded to my 6S, which isn't even as big as the current ones (or the Plus model), I quickly grew to hate my Spibelt. It just bounces all over the place, the phone is too heavy. The Flipbelt (or as I like to call it, my Sausage Belt) works much better with the larger phone.

I have an armband but it gets really sweaty and slightly annoying. I bought a Nike belt that is small and comfortable, and the pouch stretches plenty for my iPhone VI. It isn’t waterproof so if rain is an issue you will need to bag your phone.

If you are running a marathon with it you will need to grease up your lower back, else you will discover a new chafing area when you hop in the shower.

QOTD: I saw someone mention rain gear earlier in this thread yesterday and I thought we should turn that into our QOTD to get a few more answers for that person. So, rain gear for running, what you got?

ATTQOTD: I either run in the rain and change nothing, or use the TM. Really depends on the temps outside on which one of those I do. I know that does not help much, but perhaps its a option for you...

I have an armband but it gets really sweaty and slightly annoying. I bought a Nike belt that is small and comfortable, and the pouch stretches plenty for my iPhone VI. It isn’t waterproof so if rain is an issue you will need to bag your phone.

If you are running a marathon with it you will need to grease up your lower back, else you will discover a new chafing area when you hop in the shower.
I have suffered many injuries from my running belts--probably the biggest reason I just stopped running with the phone. After Boston 2017, I had a perfect rectangular bruise on my abdomen from my phone. I never remember it bothering me during the race. When I use to put the phone in the Spibelt, I would get the skin rubbed raw on my back where it clips together. Again, I guess I was too focused on my run because never noticed it until I was done (and the shower water hit it!).

Also, recommend putting the phone in a Ziploc bag for long races. If it isn't rain, it will be sweat getting to it.

I forgot to add, put the phone on airplane mode and that will cut down on battery usage while racing.

Attqotd: Neither my husband nor I have anything special for the rain. It’s either light enough that it doesn’t bother us or too hard that we aren’t going out in it.

I do have a thin rain pullover from St Jude’s last year that if it was cold and raining I could wear

ATTQOTD: I do have a Columbia rain jacket that I can run in, but honestly most of the time I don't bother with it. We either don't run in heavy rain or if it's a run we can't move or put off, we just suck it up and get wet. The jacket ends up bothering me more than just getting wet. One thing I do always have though for a run in the rain is a hat with a bill. As long as I can keep the rain off my face, I can manage.

QOTD: I saw someone mention rain gear earlier in this thread yesterday and I thought we should turn that into our QOTD to get a few more answers for that person. So, rain gear for running, what you got?
ATTQOTD: I figure I am going to sweat and get wet anyway, so no change in rain gear. If I can, I might adjust my time to go out if the rain is passing. If not, I just suck it up and get wet.

ATTQOTD: If it's light, I don't wear anything special. If it's heavy, I go to the treadmill or rearrange my training plan. Thankful today is a rest day, we are forecasted to get 3 inches of rain by the end of the day.

ATTQOTD: A timely question, since this is the rainiest week I ever remember. All 3 scheduled runs have been in the rain.

Adjustments: A hat instead of a visor. Even then, I am amazed at the amount of rain a tight mesh hat lets in. Note to self: get a 'solid' hat.

A little more BodyGlide since running clothes are heavy with water and clinging.

I adjust the timing of my run to avoid the heaviest rain. When looking at a forecast, 'showers' are better than 'rain'.

I always think I'm going to hate going out in the rain, but I do it anyway, and then I'm glad I did. Rain AND wind, and I'm not so brave.

ATTQOTD: Same as my usual gear. If it's raining badly enough that I need special gear, it's raining badly enough that I'll take the day off. If it's a race, then I'll just cope.

ATTQOTD: i have a hat I wear in the rain. Other than that ... I just wear normal stuff. Or treadmill if i can. I miss having a treadmill. I gotta join a gym.

ATTQOTD: I am the idiot who smiles when I get stuck in the rain. I am literally that one Garbage song. I am only happy when it rains. However, we don't get a lot of rain here so I can't remember the last time I had to run it in.

On Tuesday I came home from my run feeling like a drowned rat. Come visit anytime.

ATTQOTD: I am the idiot who smiles when I get stuck in the rain. I am literally that one Garbage song. I am only happy when it rains. However, we don't get a lot of rain here so I can't remember the last time I had to run it in.

Same here. I love to run in the rain. Not monsoon rain or anything, but I love a good drizzle. LOL.

Only different thing I do is wear a hat, and if it is a colder rain I will wear a pullover that is somewhat rain resistant. I try to avoid all the puddles so my feet don't get heavy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter