The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I use a flipbelt and really like it for holding everything I need! On a normal long run, I can comfortably carry my iphone, water bottle, tissues, and my fuel in it.
I haven't decided what I'll do for the marathon and phone battery- my phone was almost dead at the end of the Princess Half, so I feel like I will need to either turn off cellular data or, more likely, carry a battery. I also have a 2nd iphone (work...) and could instead carry 2 phones?

ATTQOTD: Mine either goes in the pocket of my Sparkle Skirt or in my FlipBelt if I'm wearing pants. None of my cheap Old Navy running leggings have pockets on them! I don't bring an extra battery or anything because I'm only using it for music or emergencies. I put it in low power mode to reduce battery usage and that's about it, although I've never run anything longer than a HM.

QOTD: Looks like I will need something to hold my phone during the marathon this year. I have a iphone 10 or whatever it called, not thats really the most relevant part of the question. Anyway, those who run with your phone, what you use to hold it during the run? Do you bring a extra battery as well and what do you do with it?

ATTQOTD: I have two Fitletic belts, the Ultimate II Race belt and the 360 running store belt. The 360 fits my phone in its (not exactly small) case, but the ultimate II I have to take it out of the case (I have the GS8+, which is a fairly big phone). I like them both because they have room for all the other crap i carry with me on my runs.
I have used a belt clip holster case for a race when I didnt want to carry much, but it pulled down my skirt a little, so I dont know that I'd do it again.
I've never carried an extra battery for a race, but my battery on my current phone lasts relatively long, especially because I dont use it much while running.

QOTD: Looks like I will need something to hold my phone during the marathon this year. I have a iphone 10 or whatever it called, not thats really the most relevant part of the question. Anyway, those who run with your phone, what you use to hold it during the run? Do you bring a extra battery as well and what do you do with it?
ATTQOTD: I do not carry a phone when I run since I have an Apple watch with cell service and can stream music, text, get notifications, etc. However for the upcoming Disney races I do plan to bring my iPhone 6plus mainly to take pictures. I will most likely carry it in some kind of belt that is big enough to hold the phone and some fuel. I don't think I will need an additional battery as I will have my watch as a back up if my phone dies.

ATTQOTD:
I refuse to purchase clothing without pockets, and I am still rocking an iPhone SE because it needs to fit in pockets. Once running clothing with a pocket in addition to the silly small key pocket is found, it is generally more generous than most women's clothing so it works fine for me. My phone is dying and I am in semi-panic mode because I carry my phone in pockets at work I will need to change my wardrobe to accommodate this. I think the running gear could still fit a larger phone.

ATTQOTD: I have an iPhone Xs and my phone either goes in The Tube or one of the front pockets of my Nathan best depending on the length of the run/race. No extra battery because I have good battery life (for now lol). I do turn off WiFi though so it’s not searching going through the parks.

I used to use a flipbelt to hold my phone and that was fine. But I've switched to trying to buy running leggings that have pockets so now I usually just put the phone in a pocket. For marathon training, I did buy a mophie case to have extra battery in case its needed. It's been really useful when traveling in general. I also put my phone on airplane mode during long runs so that helps conserve battery life too.

I'll never say never, but the skirt just isnt in the cards for me.
I have a whole rainbow of colors if you change your mind. ;)

ATTQOTD: I run with my iPhone in my hand. I have been running like this for the past 5 years. I like having it ready for me to snap a photo. I did buy a "Running Buddy" and it never stayed on my shorts. It works perfectly on my hydration belt though, so during long runs I do put my phone away. But during races, my phone is always in my hand. It does annoy me in race pictures, but oh well.

I don't bring an extra battery with me to races, but I do when I am at the parks. Turning off Wifi is helpful for keeping your battery from dying too quickly.

I ran outside yesterday finally for the first time in 3 months! Man am I sore... I have been so spoiled on those soft OTF treadmills for 3 months. :o
Aren’t they the best?! One of the centers I visited this summer was selling theirs to get new ones, and I tried to figure how to get one home with us.

This is going to sound crazy, but I have to set some sort of time goal. It's just my personality to have a goal as part of the plan. For running a duration is always the goal. Now I do not always meet or exceed those goals which I am ok with, but I gotta throw a number out there. As I get some miles in I will no doubt adjust that goal towards more realistic expectations.

I'm good with all of these except the two underlined. I am not a pretzel fan lol. Just not part of the #snackgoals and I'll never say never, but the skirt just isnt in the cards for me.

But FP+... I kid I scheduled the first one at AK for 2:05 PM, which means I have until 3 to get there. Also eating Yak and Yeti which is one of my favorite places to eat at WDW. That duck though!!!! I planned a relaxed afternoon that day with delays so I would not feel pressured to hurry up the race to get to prior plans.

That sounds like a difficult and rewarding journey to do what you have done there.

As I mentioned to @Keels I have park plans starting at 2PM. Well maybe lunch at AK, but that can be changed depending on how the race goes. With a start around 6AM and lets say a 6 hour run, I think 2-3 hours to get to that FP+ is achievable, if not we have a FP+ for the same attraction later on that trip so not the end of the world. Now missing a dole whip with rum is non negotiable lol.

I want to thank everyone for yall comments. Thanks for taking time to put things into perspective and just being good people.
I’m not sure your time goal is going to work with your desire to ride EE. I started in corral E, ran a 5:29 with a few stops, and EE had not opened yet when I ran by. Luckily there was a “hydration station” nearby that WAS open so I could drown my sorrows of missing out. I had plans to finish with a second margarita but noticed I could get a sub-5:30 if I skipped it. Made it with about 50 seconds to spare and celebrated with a couple of margaritas later in the day. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

QOTD: I either have my phone in my Sparkle skirt pocket or use my Running Buddy magnetic pouch.

Actually, this sounds like a really cool run. Can I ask from which town to which town did you run? And how did you deal with all the Long Island traffic? Were you on the main roads or did you find a good back road way to get across the island?

I intended to start on the beach in Shoreham but the beach lot was for village residents only so I parked on rt25a in Rocky Point, took a tertiary road to William Floyd Pkwy and ran on the shoulder against traffic to Smiths Point Park in Shirley. I needed to double back about 1.5 miles to round out my 20 and then my wife picked me up to take me back to my truck. I liked the idea of crossing the entire island on foot but William Floyd Pkwy is long, boring and desolate at times. My wife was concerned with the traffic as well, but I felt I had plenty of room on the shoulder in nearly every spot.
The runkeeper map I posted on FB and IG was nice to help non-runner friends understand just how far 20 miles really is.

I started in corral E, ran a 5:29 with a few stops, and EE had not opened yet when I ran by. Luckily there was a “hydration station” nearby that WAS open so I could drown my sorrows of missing out.
This is a huge thing to me and trying to figure out how I actually want to run my first Marathon. I really REALLY want to ride EE. But if I do, then this whole thing is just going to be for fun and not for reals.

ATTQOTD: I have an iPhone X and prefer to be hands free when I run. 90% of my capris & running skirts have leg pockets so I just put it in there. If I use my Nathan vest it goes in the front pocket. If I'm wearing regular running shorts I have a spibelt. The Spibelt is seeing less use now that Garmin offers the Spotify app on my watch.

This is a huge thing to me and trying to figure out how I actually want to run my first Marathon. I really REALLY want to ride EE. But if I do, then this whole thing is just going to be for fun and not for reals.
It's still a real marathon. Distance is actually more if you decide to veer off course to ride EE, grab a couple of drinks and have McD's.

Careful with blanket statements like that. First it was "everyone deserves a medal," and now this? How long before someone sues for not having fun?
Well, I did see someone with a shirt that read "I'm tired, my feet are sore, and I want to go back to bed. 13.1 magical miles my ***" during the Dark Side Half this year.

Wait until you cross the finishline of your first full at WDW and change your life. All the pain and soreness will disappear immediately, well, until Monday at least.
I keep telling myself that when I want to abandon the marathon altogether.

Believe it or not, I just use my regular belt clip that I use every day and attach it to my running belt. After I somehow managed to delete an FP+ reservation with all the phone jostling during the Dark Side Half this year when I used a running belt that turned out to be a disaster on multiple fronts, I'm sticking with what works.

So a update to my running situation. I decided to hire my old running coach to get me through the next few weeks safely and someone to be a voice of even more reasoning. Getting plans put together and going to get to the start healthy and being able to finish healthy is the goal.
Revising goals to deal with reality works better than stubbornly persisting in trying to recover from previous challenges.

I really REALLY want to ride EE. But if I do, then this whole thing is just going to be for fun and not for reals.
Whether or not you succeed in riding Everest, this is 1000% for real. Nobody said running has to be completely miserable and never fun.

ATTQOTD: I have never run with a phone. I do not like a bunch of extra "stuff" I have to deal with as I run, so I prefer to be unencumbered. If that means I don't get pictures, then so be it. However, I am not on any social media, so no real need to post anything...

As of today I've decided to just throw time out the window. I had so much fun goofing off during Wine & Dine. Ask me again this time next week and my answer will probably be different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!