The Running Thread - 2018

here is the link: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=R4I5hFFcUk8gJPC4zi0Xv6

it is my understanding that the VA3 does not have a setting that will do this automatically. you have to do it manually for each workout. there is also a correction option for individual workouts in strava.

For each workout? WTH?? Well, I'm glad I didn't bother to do this once and expect it to work forever. This really seems like something that should be in an update.

It's too bad that the actual feeling of the run doesn't match what the elevation graph says...some of my out-and-back runs are all downhill according to the VA3. :)

For each workout? WTH?? Well, I'm glad I didn't bother to do this once and expect it to work forever. This really seems like something that should be in an update.

It's too bad that the actual feeling of the run doesn't match what the elevation graph says...some of my out-and-back runs are all downhill according to the VA3. :)

If you can be without the watch for about a week, mine was doing the same thing and I'm too lazy to be bothered to fix it manually, so I sent it back to Garmin and they sent me a brand new one.

QOTD: Looks like I will need something to hold my phone during the marathon this year. I have a iphone 10 or whatever it called, not thats really the most relevant part of the question. Anyway, those who run with your phone, what you use to hold it during the run? Do you bring a extra battery as well and what do you do with it?

I tried an armband a few years ago, but they chafe me and tend to slip down my arm.

If I don't need to carry water, I wear the "Nuclear Strength 2017 Running Belt and Fitness Workout Belt" that I got on Amazon. It's a bit stretchy, so it should hold most phone sizes. If you have it adjusted to your waist properly, it doesn't bounce much. I can usually fit in my phone and my car key fob, so I would expect you could fit a phone and extra battery.

If I need to carry water (i.e., marathon), then I wear a hydration vest. I have an old one, CamelBak Circuit Hydration Vest, Purple Cactus Flower/Flame Scarlet. The vest has a few pockets, which are certainly sufficient for my phone and a few other items.

During the winter when I might have gloves or a hat to take off mid-run, I wear the hydration vest without the reservoir just for the pockets.

If you can be without the watch for about a week, mine was doing the same thing and I'm too lazy to be bothered to fix it manually, so I sent it back to Garmin and they sent me a brand new one.

I'm way too OCD to be without it for a week. :) But if it's something that is "fixable", then that seems weird. Why not make the online correction permanent if it's actually something that's wrong?

I'm way too OCD to be without it for a week. :) But if it's something that is "fixable", then that seems weird. Why not make the online correction permanent if it's actually something that's wrong?

:confused3

I imagine its sensor related but I haven't really dug into it enough to get a real explanation.

I have a fenix as well, so I just used that while my VA3 was out of commission, but I can see not wanting to be without it for a while.

QOTD: Looks like I will need something to hold my phone during the marathon this year. I have a iphone 10 or whatever it called, not thats really the most relevant part of the question. Anyway, those who run with your phone, what you use to hold it during the run? Do you bring a extra battery as well and what do you do with it?

ATTQOTD: Guy running shorts have pockets. I put my phone or phones (sometimes I have two for Reasons) in there. No extra battery - even if I'm using the GPS to track a run, I'm not playing music or anything else that drains power, and my watch has the display.

I did briefly try a phone case that would clip to a belt, but the phone bounced too much. In one case where I couldn't just put a phone in my pocket - I think I had one pair of shorts where the phone bounced too much - it fit in my running belt.

ATTQOTD: I use to have a arm band for the a older model phone and I guess it worked fine back then. Just curious if there are other ways than having to carry my phone without buying a new band for one run.

I used to have an armband. Then I found out about the Roo Pouch. I bought one at the expo in 2016 for the full and have never gone back to the arm band. I had a 6s+ for my two Disney marathons and it fits great if you get the large pouch. The small won't hold any phone I am aware of. It's water proof/sweat proof. I have put food in it with my phone and everything.

Well, I did see someone with a shirt that read "I'm tired, my feet are sore, and I want to go back to bed. 13.1 magical miles my ***" during the Dark Side Half this year.

I keep telling myself that when I want to abandon the marathon altogether.

Believe it or not, I just use my regular belt clip that I use every day and attach it to my running belt. After I somehow managed to delete an FP+ reservation with all the phone jostling during the Dark Side Half this year when I used a running belt that turned out to be a disaster on multiple fronts, I'm sticking with what works.

Revising goals to deal with reality works better than stubbornly persisting in trying to recover from previous challenges.

Whether or not you succeed in riding Everest, this is 1000% for real. Nobody said running has to be completely miserable and never fun.

Just wait. You will cross and you will have the biggest smile on your face and for a couple weeks you will reflect on what you accomplished. It's so awesome.

I used to use a Spibelt back when I had an iPhone 5 (I SO miss that phone because it was small and easily fit). A Flipbelt works better for me. The only time I run with a phone these days is when my kids might need to reach me (and even then, it's a 50/50 chance I don't have it). I don't carry my phone for marathons anymore, although I may do it in Boston to kill all the extra time before I start. I try to cut down on ANY extra weight or anything that might bounce around. If I would stop for any pics in WDW, I would have to rely on a Photopass person and scan my magic band.

I think it is much harder to carry phones now that they are bigger. In NYC, I did not see dh where I thought we were supposed to meet and didn't have my phone of course. There was a marathon info booth and I asked the volunteer if I could use her phone. They actually had a landline phone that people could use after the race so I was able to call him. He is bad about not answering unknown numbers but I warned him before that he better answer all calls after I was done in case it was me.

Dear all, I'm looking for recommendations for rain jackets for running. Searching the forum turned up a lot of mentions, but not usually with specifics.

I not looking for warmth - I am just looking for dryness. Lightweight and pretty close fitting are pluses. Hood and/or pockets not necessary.

I can find recommendations on places like Runner's World, but those are usually wanting $$$. Thanks!

Dear all, I'm looking for recommendations for rain jackets for running. Searching the forum turned up a lot of mentions, but not usually with specifics.

I not looking for warmth - I am just looking for dryness. Lightweight and pretty close fitting are pluses. Hood and/or pockets not necessary.

I can find recommendations on places like Runner's World, but those are usually wanting $$$. Thanks!

I got this one at Academy a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty nice for the price. I don't get as hot in it as I do my nice Columbia one, but I like that it folds up into a pouch.

As of today I've decided to just throw time out the window. I had so much fun goofing off during Wine & Dine. Ask me again this time next week and my answer will probably be different.
There's something about fully embracing the "goofing off" aspect of runDisney events that makes the races so much fun. My least fun runDisney race was my first. I took no pictures and did no goofing off. Honestly, I don't know if I enjoyed that race. I came back for a second race because I tolerated the experience enough the first time that I decided I could tolerate it again two more time to earn a Coast to Coast medal and then I could be done with running. Except races number 2 and 3 were actually fun.

Just wait. You will cross and you will have the biggest smile on your face and for a couple weeks you will reflect on what you accomplished. It's so awesome.
Thanks. I'm currently feeling frustrated with training and dealing with calf tightness that forced me to cut short last night's run. I even had brief thoughts last night about just cancelling the whole thing or not even starting the marathon.

There's something about fully embracing the "goofing off" aspect of runDisney events that makes the races so much fun. My least fun runDisney race was my first. I took no pictures and did no goofing off. Honestly, I don't know if I enjoyed that race. I came back for a second race because I tolerated the experience enough the first time that I decided I could tolerate it again two more time to earn a Coast to Coast medal and then I could be done with running. Except races number 2 and 3 were actually fun.
My first half at Disney was my first real endurance. (I had done a 10k for a POT but that's it) I was nervous about the whole thing, so I just kind of ran the whole way. Next year I decided to do Goofy. I did the half with my wife running at her pace the whole time. She pushed herself and was miserable the whole time. Then I just kind of ran the Full. I enjoyed the atmosphere but it was just a nice run.

A couple years ago one of my running buddies was like I'm going to run, but I want to stop for pictures. We ran the full with him and stopped for almost every picture. It was a complete blast. We decided to do it again, but in costumes. That next year was even better. I totally agree that the goofing off aspect is what really makes runDisney races awesome. I can run PR's a lot of places. Disney is just a series of 20 or 30 short runs from picture spot to picture, laughing and joking the whole way now.

Disney races are the only time I run with a phone. I use a SPI belt that's large enough for my phone, magic band, BASE salt tube, and any gels, blocks, or Tailwind packets I might want to throw in too.

You'll have to slow roll for a bit, but look at the bright side - you're almost guaranteed a negative split!

Not if you hop on ToT and RnRC too ;)

One of the few running gear pieces that hasn't changed for me from the beginning is the SPIbelt. When properly arranged, I don't even know it's there. I don't know how people carry their phones while running! I'd be afraid of dropping it.

This is a huge thing to me and trying to figure out how I actually want to run my first Marathon. I really REALLY want to ride EE. But if I do, then this whole thing is just going to be for fun and not for reals.

My first full was WDW, and ran with a friend of mine. I like to say we didn't run 26.2 miles, we ran around for 26.2 miles. We had a ton of fun, and goofed off, and met some interesting people, but.... Oh, yeah... It'll be real! And you'll know it and feel it for sure. (Both in body and in spirit.)

Loving the race recaps from everyone! A week off from the thread takes near a week to catch up.

A few people were talking about running Disney for time. I don't do it for every race, but sometimes I do go for that new PR there. I had a monster one at W&D, and it was interesting seeing the race from that perspective. I got to see the Mary Poppins penguins doing a little synchronized dance waiting for runners, so that was unique. I still got a couple pictures, and they only cost a couple seconds. Going for it had a small price (1 strained quad, 1 toenail), but I'm glad I had a few days to walk around the parks and stay mobile as the leg got back to normal. (Almost there.) runDisney got me started on this whole thing, so there's something special for me about putting in those great efforts in that setting.

ATTQOTD: I have an old sports belt, a.k.a. fanny pack. It is pretty small and holds my phone and keys perfectly. I tried an armband but hated it, lots of chaffing. The only other thing I use for long runs is my hydration vest. I find that to be my best option as it allows me the easiest access to my phone if I want a picture or to put on music/podcast.

My wife teases me about the fanny pack by reciting the lines from Breakfast Club where the wrestler when asked if he wears tights says he wears the required uniform, to which the other guy replies “tights”. Replace tights with fanny pack and you feel my pain when my wife is feels the need to tease.

ATTQOTD: Inuse An arm band for carrying my phone. As for an extra battery, I haven’t had the phone come close enough to running out of battery, so I don’t take one on my runs.

ATTQOTD: I have an iPhone X and buy capris and pants with integrated pockets. For training run 10k and under, I often just keep it in my hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter