The Running Thread - 2018

Not sure how bad the 10k is you mentioned but The Bear 5 Miler sucked. The whole race you are going only up except for a few "flat" areas. True story, Forest Gump ran part of the course in the movie. This YouTube video shows a little of what its like.

the-bear-profile.png

That looks like much more of a total climb than Chabot was, but not quite as steep. (Close, though.) Here's my elevation track from Chabot:

Chabot.png

Thanks for pointing this out. At some point I may try it. I have no computers that run Windows (or Mac) on a regular basis, so it's annoying when Garmin forces you to use the computer app instead of enabling it through the mobile app. (If you're wondering, my work and home computers/laptops run linux. Yes, I am one of those people.)

it is one of the big drawbacks of the viv3 which, otherwise, i've been very happy with. weirdly, the forerunner 35, which has far fewer features, does this automatically.

it is one of the big drawbacks of the viv3 which, otherwise, i've been very happy with. weirdly, the forerunner 35, which has far fewer features, does this automatically.
I ran into this same issue with mine. I've only used it for definitely Beach to Beacon and maybe one other run before that, since I also got mine on Prime Day but it didn't ship for a few weeks and I haven't been running outdoors. I looked at the Beach to Beacon elevation and was like, what, this does not match reality at all. And was also extremely frustrated that this isn't just a setting you can turn on or something in the watch.

If you use Strava, you can also have Strava correct it... that was what I ended up doing I believe. I don't use Garmin's site/app.

The Dirty Duel Trail Race:

Yesterday I ran my first official trail race! The race has two courses to choose from: short & brutal 3.1 miles or long & difficult 3.6 miles - my friends & I chose the longer course because we had heard it was less crowded. Both courses are hilly and they start in an apple orchard and end in a corn maze, but most of it is run in the woods.

Mother Nature gave us our first snowfall Friday night, which provided lovely scenery, but because the ground isn’t frozen yet, it made portions of the course very muddy and slippery. We took it very slow and followed a group that knew the course well. I’m happy to report we all managed to stay on our feet! Official time for 3.6 miles was 47:14.

I did feel that trail miles seemed longer than road miles, but l loved running in the woods, so I definitely plan to run more trail races next year.

Cider & donuts at the finish.

DC87CE10-3FFA-4BFE-967E-F6C304676A9E.jpeg 8A0A7CA6-F0B5-4ED7-B334-1D29BF9AE988.jpeg [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

Ran a Veteran’s Day 10K today! PR by about 3 minutes 1:08.32. Superhappy about that but was really hoping to break 1:08 to get into D at Princess. It was hillier than I planned and a looping course, so I had to dodge the back of the 5K pack the last mile.

I could run again for it next weekend. Sigh. Trying to decide what to do!

My niece killed it in the 8U 5K- won the girls in a 25.09! Way faster than I’ll ever be!

The Dirty Duel Trail Race:

Yesterday I ran my first official trail race! The race has two courses to choose from: short & brutal 3.1 miles or long & difficult 3.6 miles - my friends & I chose the longer course because we had heard it was less crowded. Both courses are hilly and they start in an apple orchard and end in a corn maze, but most of it is run in the woods.

Mother Nature gave us our first snowfall Friday night, which provided lovely scenery, but because the ground isn’t frozen yet, it made portions of the course very muddy and slippery. We took it very slow and followed a group that knew the course well. I’m happy to report we all managed to stay on our feet! Official time for 3.6 miles was 47:14.

I did feel that trail miles seemed longer than road miles, but l loved running in the woods, so I definitely plan to run more trail races next year.

Cider & donuts at the finish.

View attachment 364564 View attachment 364563 [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
That looks really pretty!

Cypress Half Marathon Race Report:

Finally, a pretty nice morning for a race. T+D was around 100, and a nice cloud desk. Cypress Running Club is one of the sponsors of the race, and our running club was out in force again this year. The race was scheduled to start at 6:45, so we had our team picture at 6:05. I think we again composed about 15% of the entire field. It is so nice that the race site being about 10 minutes from the house.

45981495_10114062661849804_3501096158166515712_n.jpg
23472153_10105640631281787_1723209838195780158_n.jpg

Since this was going to be my 4 race in the last 5 weeks, I decided to make today another supported tempo run. Ran around two miles for a warmup broken up with the CRC team picture, and made my way to the corral. Found a couple of teammates that were looking to run around the same pace so we ran together to start. We started behind the 1:45 pace group, which were running under that pace for the 1st several miles. Around the relay exchange point, me and one of the others decided to pick up the pace some. We starting picking off runners as we went along, and kept picking on some we were going to try and get next. Around mile 11, two guys thanked us for pacing them, I think one was using us as a wind break between miles 9 and 11. We decided to see if we could keep up with him, did not happen. However, miles 12 and 13 were pretty dang fast.

Splits:
1 7:52.2
2 7:47.9
3 7:45.4
4 7:41.8
5 7:42.1
6 7:50.3
7 7:47.7
8 7:31.9
9 7:31.3
10 7:35.2
11 7:27.7
12 7:12.7
13 7:06.6

I hit the finish line with a time of 1:40:20, and ended up 3rd in my age group.

CRC had a number of folks hit the podium today.

IMG_1597.jpeg

Hit save too soon! LOL

I was again very happy with my performance. My legs felt heavy the last 4 miles, but was happy to be able to pick up the pace. Of the 4 times this race have been run, this was my fastest, by about 1 minute.

Last edited:

Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation 10K & Half Marathon

I signed up for the 10K in hopes of running it in under 1 hour. My PR at the time was 1:06:00 from this year’s Princess 10K. My training plan had me running this in a time of 58:52.

This was the first year of these races. The proceeds are benefiting the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse to keep it updated and add on to the historic site. The course is on the CC Air Force Base so runners and spectators must be a US citizen and supply either a Drivers License or a Social Security Number at time of registration. 10K runners were allowed one spectator. Half runners were allowed one spectator for free & could pay for two more @ $10 each. They had military and individual registrations. Over 500 military members participated! The course is a race on a space base. There were old launching sites and other historic things to see.

DH and I left around 4:20am and arrived in a backup of traffic to get on base at 5:15am. It took us 15 minutes to get through it and park.

I needed to get my bib so we made our way over there. It took 40 minutes! They really need to work on this process, and I bet it will be better next year! Military, 10K & half runners all had to wait in the same line. Spectators had their own line. They were digging out bibs, writing on and attaching bands to your wrist to get on bus to the start line and gathering up swag (shirt & hat). They really should have had three separate lines, the bands attached to the bib ready to go and swag already prepped. Because of traffic and slow bib pick up the race start was delayed to 7:15am. We got in line for the bus and got to the starting area around 6:35.

The starting area is located near the SpaceX launching area. They had plenty of porta potties, water, bananas and donut holes. The 10K and half runners all start at the same time and share the course all the way to the 10K finish line. There are no corrals so it’s pretty much a free for all. I positioned myself between the 2:00 & 2:10 half pace groups. Weather was partly cloudy, cool (for FL!) with a nice ocean breeze every now and then at the start, but full on sun with the second mile of the race. The Air Force color guard presented the flag and the National Anthem was sung.

Race started promptly at 7:15. Course is one way, flat and fast on base roads. There is no shade. Water stops and porta potties every 1.5-2 miles. They had one person handing out water and one person handing out Gatorade at the water stops. This is another area that needs improvement. On the second water stop I was handed Gatorade when he was calling out water. I didn’t realize it was Gatorade until I gulped it down. I can’t handle Gatorade when running cuz it gives me awful stomach pains which caused a slight issue for me in mile 6. I got the dreaded cramping, walked the third water stop and couldn’t get my pace back no matter how much I pushed my legs to MOVE to make up time. But even with a slow mile 6 I earned this today.....

F14D7F5F-9861-4671-B76A-7E281544FD49.jpeg

Splits: 8:50, 8:58, 8:58, 9:05, 9:13, 9:42, 8:18 (.20 miles)

I finished 11th out of 203 women & 4th in my age group (40-44).

They were giving out awards to top 10 women & men finishers for the 10K. It turned out to be a piece of a launch pad that had been dismantled. If I just dug in deeper and had not walked that stupid water stop I may have come in 10th place. For this space nerd it was a little heartbreaking, but the joy of my finish time continues to bring a smile to my face hours and hours later!

The lighthouse was open so we went and checked it out. I’m also a history nerd and would have liked to hang around inside more, but they were rushing us through. It was so cool anyway!

There was also a hanger open with military rockets and other items on display. Very cool stuff!

They bus you back to the parking lot, but they didn’t start running until 9:30 so we sat in the grass, watched the half runners cross the finish line and basked in the sun.

The End

ETA: I know I ran by scenic space related stuff, but I honestly couldn’t tell you what. I know the half got to run on a landing strip though!

Last edited:
@gjramsey - quite a few members of my Tri club went down to run this race and they enjoyed it!

The group that puts this, Katy and Vintage Park do a great job. They also run the 5k/10k series around Houston that has 5 races.

The first year they put Cypress on, I was worried I would not like the course (neighborhood boringness), but it is a surprisingly enjoyable route

I signed up for the 10K in hopes of running it in under 1 hour. My PR at the time was 1:06:00 from this year’s Princess 10K. My training plan had me running this in a time of 58:52.

This was the first year of these races. The proceeds are benefiting the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse to keep it updated and add on to the historic site. The course is on the CC Air Force Base so runners and spectators must be a US citizen and supply either a Drivers License or a Social Security Number at time of registration. 10K runners were allowed one spectator. Half runners were allowed one spectator for free & could pay for two more @ $10 each. They had military and individual registrations. Over 500 military members participated! The course is a race on a space base. There were old launching sites and other historic things to see.

DH and I left around 4:20am and arrived in a backup of traffic to get on base at 5:15am. It took us 15 minutes to get through it and park.

I needed to get my bib so we made our way over there. It took 40 minutes! They really need to work on this process, and I bet it will be better next year! Military, 10K & half runners all had to wait in the same line. Spectators had their own line. They were digging out bibs, writing on and attaching bands to your wrist to get on bus to the start line and gathering up swag (shirt & hat). They really should have had three separate lines, the bands attached to the bib ready to go and swag already prepped. Because of traffic and slow bib pick up the race start was delayed to 7:15am. We got in line for the bus and got to the starting area around 6:35.

The starting area is located near the SpaceX launching area. They had plenty of porta potties, water, bananas and donut holes. The 10K and half runners all start at the same time and share the course all the way to the 10K finish line. There are no corrals so it’s pretty much a free for all. I positioned myself between the 2:00 & 2:10 half pace groups. Weather was partly cloudy, cool (for FL!) with a nice ocean breeze every now and then at the start, but full on sun with the second mile of the race. The Air Force color guard presented the flag and the National Anthem was sung.

Race started promptly at 7:15. Course is one way, flat and fast on base roads. There is no shade. Water stops and porta potties every 1.5-2 miles. They had one person handing out water and one person handing out Gatorade at the water stops. This is another area that needs improvement. On the second water stop I was handed Gatorade when he was calling out water. I didn’t realize it was Gatorade until I gulped it down. I can’t handle Gatorade when running cuz it gives me awful stomach pains which caused a slight issue for me in mile 6. I got the dreaded cramping, walked the third water stop and couldn’t get my pace back no matter how much I pushed my legs to MOVE to make up time. But even with a slow mile 6 I earned this today.....

View attachment 364590

They were giving out awards to top 10 women & men finishers for the 10K. It turned out to be a piece of a launch pad that had been dismantled. If I just dug in deeper and had not walked that stupid water stop I may have come in 10th place. For this space nerd it was a little heartbreaking, but the joy of my finish time continues to bring a smile to my face hours and hours later!

The lighthouse was open so we went and checked it out. I’m also a history nerd and would have liked to hang around inside more, but they were rushing us through. It was so cool anyway!

There was also a hanger open with military rockets and other items on display. Very cool stuff!

They bus you back to the parking lot, but they didn’t start running until 9:30 so we sat in the grass, watched the half runners cross the finish line and basked in the sun.

The End

ETA: I know I ran by scenic space related stuff, but I honestly couldn’t tell you what. I know the half got to run on a landing strip though!

That race sounds so cool even with the issues. Maybe I can convince my husband to run it next year

That race sounds so cool even with the issues. Maybe I can convince my husband to run it next year

Honestly it was just those little things. Other than that I thought they did a fantastic job for an inaugural race!

View attachment 364590

The End

Definitely going to try to make this next year. Especially since my ILs have two properties right there lol.

Loving all the race recaps! Congratulations to you all!
@michigandergirl, that run looks peaceful, and the cider and donut looks like the perfect post-race treat!
@Bree, congratulations on your 10k PR!!! Awesomesauce!!!!! :banana:

Well, the good news is that DH and I are having a lovely long weekend getaway in Monterey! The bad news is that the Monterey Half was cancelled due to poor air quality from the fires near San Francisco. :( In looking at the sky this morning, looking at the report of pollutants/particulate matter in the air, and with the faint smell of smoke all around us, I think they made the right call. They had a breakfast party at the finisher's area where you could still eat all the food, collect your medal, and have a beer. I did not have a beer, as it was only 9a (yes I know, it's 5 o'clock somewhere!), but I think everyone was taking it all rather well (perhaps the beer was helping). The medal is so pretty - it is ceramic and made by a local artist. I've decided to hang it on the Christmas tree instead of the medal hanger. More good news from the weekend: the 5k yesterday was the most beautiful 5k I have ever run. Saw whales breaching off the peninsula as we went along. DH's leg is feeling good post-5k (he hadn't run in 8 weeks), so yay for that! And, it was great meeting @r2chewbaccad2 before the 5k!! We will have to come back and run this race another year!!

After some quick thinking, I signed up for the Philadelphia Half Marathon which is this coming Saturday. Still want to try for that PR this fall! DH said that perhaps it's meant to happen on the home course. I ran the Philly Half last year as a training run for the WDW marathon, and the course through the city was fun, with good crowd support! So anywho, that's the update from over here! Attaching a pic from the 5k and the unique half medal. [@jennamfao, maybe next year?? The organization said they will be emailing us this week about "future event considerations and potential donations to fire relief efforts". I'll keep ya posted.]

@LSUlakes, when you get a minute:
17 - sourire - Philly Half Marathon (goal is sub-2:30!)

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 20
  • upload_2018-11-11_16-16-38.png
    upload_2018-11-11_16-16-38.png
    637 KB · Views: 20
Honestly it was just those little things. Other than that I thought they did a fantastic job for an inaugural race!

It's run by the same people who put on the now on hiatus Rocketman triathlon. They do good work.

The other odd thing that I've run into with the VA3 is related to user-created workouts. I set up a workout for interval runs, with a warm-up, repeats + recover, and cool-down. The VA3 is supposed to vibrate to tell you each segment is starting. Sometimes it just doesn't do that. It'll just miss one. Kind of odd. I've just learned to keep my eye on it when I know a segment is supposed to end and the next one start.

I would agree, though, that overall I like it a lot. The vibrating alarm, which I use to wake up (and the FR 235 also had), has been nearly life-changing for me. :) So much nicer than the alarm clock.

In terms of tracking runs, I would say they are pretty equal in capabilities, EXCEPT the VA3 pretty much just makes up the elevation reading. I do not just mean that the zero-point elevation is offset from reality. I mean that most of the time it gives me plain nonsense. Since I run out-and-back routes or loop routes, there should generally be symmetry and/or repeating elevation patterns in the measurements, and usually it gives nothing of the sort. I also run a lot on the HS track, which is FLAT, and sometimes it will give me substantial gains.

Possibly I've got a bad watch, but I feel like I've heard others complain about this. I've rebooted mine a few times. Every once in a while, I'll get an elevation graph that makes logical sense, but it seems to be maybe 20% of the time. My guess is that the VA3 has fewer or less sensitive GPS receivers and thus typically doesn't lock onto as many satellites as the FR 235 did. The FR 235 was always quite repeatable and consistent for the different routes that I run.

For me, this is a bit frustrating but not enough to want to go back to the FR 235. But I thought I'd mention it in case it's something that may be important to you.

I have a VA3 with this problem as well. It recorded an elevation gain of 709 feet at W&D last week!!

ETA: Going to give the elevation correction thing a try. Thanks!

Last edited:
New experience today. I literally ran out of my shoes.

I was checking out a greenway that’s part of a local Half next weekend. The greenway was torn out in the spring and I wanted to see how it had been replaced in advance of the race. It was supposed to be crushed gravel by this point.

I came to the end of the paved portion to find a “road closed” barricade with the path continuing as a hard packed red clay on the other side. Rather than step across the barricade I ran around it through what looked like semi-solid dried, cracked dirt to reach the path. It wasn’t. It was ankle+ deep clay-based sucking mud. In three steps I was on the path where I wanted to be, but was standing there in my socks with my shoes completely buried behind me! A local teen helped me recover my shoes without risking my socks, but the last two miles were like running with a couple of extra pounds on my shoes. Not fun.

I was considering running the local half as a supported training run next weekend. Now, I’m not so sure.

On the plus side, the 10 mile run today was my first double digit run since Chicago. It felt really good and was a nice confidence booster. My motivation has really been flagging lately and now I feel re-energized.

Rangerstown 5K Recap:

I love the New York Rangers. I watched the overtime shootout game last night instead of catching up on my TV shows (which I am very behind on because of family stuff + moving). So of course I was going to run this race and have fun doing it.

Overall, I liked the race and will definitely do it again if they do it again next year (although it's the week after the NYC marathon, so ... I might walk it next year). I've been doing so many big, well-run races lately that I forgot that this is sort of an amateurish small thing, but it was fine. I was a little late for bib pickup (train problems), the bibs were just plain white and not Rangers-colored like last year, and bag check literally gave you a coat check ticket, but okay. I came late enough that I missed the pre-race festivities (which I enjoyed last year), but it was fine. I made my way to the start and figured I still had some time because they started late last year... this year they started early. So I didn't really have time to settle in. I heard that goal song, and off I went. I started the race, got a high five from a former NYR player (I don't remember who it was) ... and couldn't really run at the pace I wanted because of walkers. I weaved around a little until I found some space to run. Before I even hit the first mile marker, I felt like I needed a walk break. So I took one. I kept running, walking when I felt like I needed a break, until it happened ... the dreaded side cramp. I hadn't eaten anything all day, I hadn't been drinking very much water, my dinner last night was two Insomnia Cookies ... I wasn't surprised that I wasn't feeling 100%. I thought about just walking the rest of the race, but decided to at least try running. I discovered that I couldn't run for more than a minute, so I set my watch for 60/30 run/walk intervals. And I ran. I finished the race, got high fives from two active players (Brett Howden and Neal Pionk). I got my medal, stretched, looked for food (spoiler alert: there wasn't much, just like 2 donuts left and I wasn't in the mood to fight for them), watched the cover band for a little bit, got a selfie with another former player (still don't know who, because I can't identify famous people), and then headed back to my parents' house to pack up another shift of stuff to take to my apartment. The end.

tl;dr: I love this race, but didn't have the best experience this year. I'll still do it again next year if I can. It's a fun fan event, it just needs some work in the race part.

Official Time: 34:05.
Not the sub-30 PR I was originally hoping for, but I knew a few days ago that that wasn't likely to happen (which is why I didn't list a goal here), and this is still a pretty darn good 5K time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter