The Running Thread - 2018

I stop and take pics of the characters but never wait in line to take one with them. I have just never seen a character I needed a picture with that badly.
If the line is short enough and I love the character I'll wait in line. But if I don't love the character, I'll skip it no matter how short. For instance, I waited 20-30 minutes I think for the Imperial Group shot near mile 13 of this year's Dark Side Half since I knew I was safe to finish without being swept, but during the 2012 Wine & Dine I didn't wait less than one minute for Wreck It Ralph.

I have stopped for bathrooms in fantasyland, AK, the one right before EE, WWoS
I've only had to stop twice for bathroom breaks during a race. Once in DCA and once in Animal Kingdom. While I hope to never have to stop again during a race, at least I know at Disney I'm not too far from a real restroom.

I didn't think I would care to miss the race this year but it's starting to make me sad not being there. There is just something special about marathon weekend.
I feel the same way about Star Wars Rival Run next year. I know that I will not be able to be there, but it doesn't make it any less sad that I can't be there.

I started in C for the 10k and never saw a character line short enough that I would stand in. Do people get more spread out for the half and/or full? What corral do you need to start in so that the lines aren’t crazy?
I do think there is some spreading out that happens during the longer distances that you don't see during the shorter distances. Now that said, I also think it comes down to how badly you want to wait. I was perfectly content not stopping for any photos during Dark Side because I didn't want to risk being swept. Then I saw a longish, but short enough line for the Emperor's Throne during the 2017 10K that I got in it.

In my opinion, I think it comes down to the popularity and/or rarity of the photo opportunity.

Has anyone done Run the Bluegrass before? I'm looking at that half to end my Winter/Spring race season and it looks like it could be a fun one ...

Has anyone done Run the Bluegrass before? I'm looking at that half to end my Winter/Spring race season and it looks like it could be a fun one ...
While I haven’t run it - I do have two running friends that have. They keep going back year after year and have tried to convince us to join them on a couple occasions. They are on these boards just not super active anymore.

For those on Strava, not sure if you have come across Rickey Gates yet - he has set a goal of running every street in San Francisco! He’s a few days in to it now, doing some mammoth runs with plenty of climbing!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/rickey_gates

I'm from San Francisco and there are a lot of hills! During the Rock n Roll SF race earlier this year, we turned a corner to face a 200 foot climb. "Holy ****," I heard someone yell. "Welcome to San Francisco," someone replied.

I'm from San Francisco and there are a lot of hills! During the Rock n Roll SF race earlier this year, we turned a corner to face a 200 foot climb. "Holy ****," I heard someone yell. "Welcome to San Francisco," someone replied.

I'm pondering Bay to Breakers next year. There's a couple hills in there that look pretty brutal.

(Still better than that [censored] Lake Chabot 10k. Never again.)

First dark evening run of the season last night... and my headlamp's battery died 1/2 a mile in. For 3.5 miles, I relied solely on cars' headlights, intuition, and muscle memory to differentiate between shrub, sidewalk, and grass. My PSA of the day is to check your headlamp's battery before your next run in the dark. :)

I have had my light dim a couple times during a training run. I just do my best to avoid pot holes and twisting an ankle, that's the last thing I need. I went to DL two weeks ago and my ankle has been hurting since. I had to take this week off from running because it even hurt to walk. I'm going to try for a few miles today and test it out.

If the line is short enough and I love the character I'll wait in line. But if I don't love the character, I'll skip it no matter how short. For instance, I waited 20-30 minutes I think for the Imperial Group shot near mile 13 of this year's Dark Side Half since I knew I was safe to finish without being swept, but during the 2012 Wine & Dine I didn't wait less than one minute for Wreck It Ralph.

I've only had to stop twice for bathroom breaks during a race. Once in DCA and once in Animal Kingdom. While I hope to never have to stop again during a race, at least I know at Disney I'm not too far from a real restroom.

I feel the same way about Star Wars Rival Run next year. I know that I will not be able to be there, but it doesn't make it any less sad that I can't be there.

I do think there is some spreading out that happens during the longer distances that you don't see during the shorter distances. Now that said, I also think it comes down to how badly you want to wait. I was perfectly content not stopping for any photos during Dark Side because I didn't want to risk being swept. Then I saw a longish, but short enough line for the Emperor's Throne during the 2017 10K that I got in it.

In my opinion, I think it comes down to the popularity and/or rarity of the photo opportunity.

I don't normally need to stop during a race either but for some reason I was needing to pee every few miles during the 2016 full. I think I only stopped once during this past year's race.

I have a friend who is already in Vegas for the Rock N Roll Vegas Half and she keeps saying how cold it is. And while I am in agreeance with her, I am sure it's nothing compared to places where it's already snowing?! Anyway, she was told that she should probably wear a plastic bag during the race because it's going to be cold and windy and that's where I draw the line. I'm trying to look cute in some pictures on the Strip and not literally look like garbage. So I guess I'm gonna be cold. :confused3
Forecast is between 63-50 from start to finish and wind speeds at about 10mph.

Ummm, I'm getting ready to run a race and it's 27 degrees with a real feel of 15 - that's cold. All things relative I guess!

Had to run with both kids in the stroller this morning (and definitely did not get far). How do people do that??? It probably didn’t help that I was pushing my body weight lol.

I went to a live podcast recording last night of "I'll Have Another" with Lindsay Hein, so if anyone listens to that podcast, I was there in the upcoming episode with Katie Edwards, Jessica Goldman, and Deb Gardner. :) Mostly a couple of my running buddies and I went for a girl's night out and the "free" swag bag (*not really free since we had to pay for a ticket).

It was nice to get out with my running buddies. One of them just did NYC last week! I really need to get back to road running... I haven't run outside since I did Beach to Beacon in August, although I have been running at OTF. :( I'm kind of sad though... my running group is breaking up. We're all still friends, but it looks like after the free winter group we'll not be running with the coach/club we've been affiliated with for a few years now. The head coach had moved away about 6 months before I joined the group 2 years ago, and he would occasionally come back but mostly we were being led by assistant coaches through our various 10K and HM groups. Well now he is moving back and has decided he wants to take the company in a more serious personal training/private coaching direction and doesn't even really want to keep the groups anymore (although he says he will under restrictions like we all have to train for the same race and it has to be a local race), even though the same core group of 5-6 people with usually 2-3 other people who drop in for a season in these groups have been the ones funding his insurance bill while he's been gone.

I guess that makes it easier once I do start training again to stick to my own plan and not try and make it fit with/into/around the group's plan like I did last spring! We're all going to keep doing group runs, just not affiliated with that team anymore. It sounds like we are going to try and all do Wineglass again next year so I need to get back on the wagon soon. I'm bummed I missed it this year, but it just didn't work out right with my parents visiting and my extreme lack of summer motivation.

I ran a 5k today--DAV 5k. I did not race it, just ran it to get off my butt for the day. I am part of our local Fleet Feet Ambassador Racing Team and this was one of our events. I haven't volunteered at many events this year (too many conflicts with my kids' sports and activities), so I signed up to do this one. I had comp entry and signed my son up also. He is coming off his cross country season and wanted to do a road race. Man, did we pick the wrong one--it was 23 degrees this morning! I HATE HATE HATE cold. But he was excited to see if he could PR. The 2 girls I was working our booth with informed us that this year, they were not timing the event (to give more of the proceeds to the cause). DS was p*ssed! I told him he could wear my watch and get his time. Well, there was a long portion underground through a tunnel which of course messed up the GPS. Also, it doesn't help get an accurate time if you don't stop the Garmin at the end. Anyway, I set out to do a leisurely paced run. I passed 3 women and couldn't see anymore women, so then I start going a tad harder. I could see my son, but he was probably 15-20 seconds ahead of me. It never felt like a truly hard effort, but it wasn't easy either. When I crossed the finish line, I was surprised to see a clock at all since it wasn't being timed and had me around 21:02. This was my first real blind run since my early pre-Garmin days. I was the first woman, but since it wasn't timed, absolutely no hoopla at all. I don't even know if that clock was right--there was a hand cycle start right before us. In the end, as I told ds, time doesn't matter. He knew he was within the top 10 and still raced hard. I think he really cranked it up the last mile because he said the clock said 20:15 when he finished (putting him over 45 seconds ahead of me!).

November

11 - Wendy98 - DAV 5K (NG / 1st woman, not sure about time)

I'm checking with a friend that ran it this year. I typically run the KDF miniMarathon at the end of April and a 5k/10k/10-mile series that leads up to that... so I've never seriously considered driving over to Lexington to Run the Bluegrass before, but it looks pretty good. The reviews look good with really the only "negative" thing I see is that it is hilly.

I ran it this spring. Very scenic course. Lots of Kentucky-things to do-horses, bourbon and such. It is a little hilly. I really enjoyed it.

@LSUlakes Time for Run the Bluegrass Half 2:06:07. Well, that stretch goal of 1:59:59 turned out to be just wishful thinking. Not in the cards at the current fitness level for this course. Still it was a PR by about 6 minutes.

Small report:
  • The Keeneland grounds are beautiful and horse lovers will be in heaven.
  • Lots of parking and mid-range walk from parking to race start/finish.
  • No opinion on Expo - didn't attend
  • According to the results, there were about 3600 runners
  • Runners are assigned to "waves" but they are not enforced. Many runners moved between waves.
  • The pre-race music and ceremony was OK but I'm not much into that and sometimes find it annoying
  • The course runs through the Kentucky horse farm countryside past many large and opulent estates. It is scenically wonderful.
  • The paths were wide and the course never felt crowded
  • The course is hilly and I was unprepared. The hill starting around mile 9 in particular was a real bear at that point in the race.
  • My Garmin measured the course at just a few feet short of 13.1 which is unusual as all previous Garmin measures on other courses were slightly above 13.1.
  • Large impressive medal and a tad better-than-normal after race freebie food.
Probably kind of sappy but one of the largest takeaways from this race turned out to be more personal than running related. This race is a combined 7 mile and half that share the first 3 miles or so and the last 3 miles or so. My fatigue was pretty high when the courses met for the final segment because I had gone out too fast. There were some walkers from the 7 mile course, folks of various fitness levels - some struggling to make it walking, one that was battling what appeared to be the residual effects of a stroke, a blind army vet with one leg missing in a wheelchair being helped by another in a wheelchair to get through the course. They were an inspiration. This mortal journey has unexpected and uninvited challenges, and the human spirit and drive to find meaning and overcome challenges is a core part of what makes this life a wonderful and worthwhile experience. My petty little challenges are small compared to others. I'm not inviting more challenges but am inspired and humbled by those that have it, face it, stare it down, and go forward. This race provided that reflection.

@Keels - this was a mini-report from April.

-

Richmond Marathon race report:

The goal for this one was to try for a BQ for 2020. Even though I'd aged up into an easier standard for 2020, the adjustments the BAA made in Sept. meant my standard remained at 3:25, same as always. That meant my goal was 3:20, to avoid having to worry if I got in come registration time. Leading up to this race, my endurance was good, but due to some lingering hamstring issues, I'd done basically no tempo or speedwork since Sept. for fear of aggravating my hamstrings. That lack of quality workouts really bit me back at the end. I was on 3:20 pace up until Mile 19 when I just hit the wall. I also had some stomach issues (too much carbo-loading the night before was the problem, I think) and just went into survival mode for the last 7 miles. The shame of it was, it was a beautiful day for racing, temps in the 40's the whole time and sunny, with not a hint of rain. Oh, well, I've always wanted to BQ at a marathon other than Richmond, and I was already signed up for two spring marathons (Shamrock and Boston), so here's my chance. Shamrock is flat and can be fast if the breezes off the Atlantic aren't too strong, so it looks like I'll be racing that one hard. I can't wait to start a big winter build-up and see how that one goes.

Final result: 3:28:32, good enough for 500th place.

Thanks for pointing this out. At some point I may try it. I have no computers that run Windows (or Mac) on a regular basis, so it's annoying when Garmin forces you to use the computer app instead of enabling it through the mobile app. (If you're wondering, my work and home computers/laptops run linux. Yes, I am one of those people.)

I have a friend who is already in Vegas for the Rock N Roll Vegas Half and she keeps saying how cold it is. And while I am in agreeance with her, I am sure it's nothing compared to places where it's already snowing?! Anyway, she was told that she should probably wear a plastic bag during the race because it's going to be cold and windy and that's where I draw the line. I'm trying to look cute in some pictures on the Strip and not literally look like garbage. So I guess I'm gonna be cold. :confused3
Forecast is between 63-50 from start to finish and wind speeds at about 10mph.

Wow, I would say that ranges from perfect to too warm for a race for me, in a tank top and shorts. Definitely no plastic bag. But if she's cold while waiting, that's what throw-away clothes are for.

I'm pondering Bay to Breakers next year. There's a couple hills in there that look pretty brutal.

Not sure how bad the 10k is you mentioned but The Bear 5 Miler sucked. The whole race you are going only up except for a few "flat" areas. True story, Forest Gump ran part of the course in the movie. This YouTube video shows a little of what its like.

the-bear-profile.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter