The Running Thread - 2018

Congrats everyone on a great race weekend. This is my 1000th post and can't think of a better way to post than to congratulate my fellow runners:

@Bree-congrats on the 10k PR. Sounds so cool running through such a historic place.

@gjramsey -way to go the Cypress Half. That is super fast.

@AZMermaid -congrats on your Veteran's Day 10k and your speedy niece.

@michigandergirl -that looks like a fun trail run. Snow and donuts.....what could be better?

@Wendy98 - sorry about the COLD for your 5k but sounds like you and your son rocked it.

@flav -Congrats on the Microbrasseries Half, how was the beer?

@huskies90 - congrats on the new PR in such cold conditions.

@SarahDisney on your 5k. Is that the hockey Rangers?

And to my fellow Richmond participants....

@baxter24 - congrats on a great Half and strong finish

@apdebord - congrats on a new PR! Awesome.
Sorry the hotel was so lame and woudn't give you late checkout.

@BikeFan - congrats on running the full and getting in top 500. Sorry we missed you at the after party.

(sorry if I missed anyone)

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Besides the normal tights and long sleeves...
If it is really windy, I make sure my outer layer is a wind breaker type material.

Also, I really like my snowboard mittens when it is really cold. They keep my hands really warm. They are easy to take off and put back on, and act as my temp regulator, but I rarely have cold hands.

This past Saturday, Temp was 17-20, with 10+ mph wind. I wore fleece lined tights with windpants over them, long sleeved shirt, fleece type hoodie, and light wind jacket. Earmuff, neck gaiter, and snowboard mittens. This worked pretty well. I felt comfortable when the wind was in my face and from the sides, but was a little warm with the wind at my back.

Richmond Half Marathon-November 10th, 2018-recap

Picked up packets for me and Mrs. Slogger at the expo on Thursday evening after work. Nice small-medium size expo and free beer tasting by Sierra Nevada.
Drove from our home Saturday morning at 5:00 am and arrived in Richmond before 7. About a 4 block walk to the start. Chilly with temps in low 40s at start.
We stayed in the car until last possible moment and arrived after the first wave started (we were wave 4).

First couple miles are right down historic Broad Street in Richmond before turning down Boulevard, running around Bryan Park, Hermitage Road, and several other neighborhoods.
Couple of DJs on the course, tremendous amount of fan support, junk food stop, pickle juice stop, free beer stop. The Half starts on one side of the street and the marathoners are on the other side before they separate until mile 9 (or 22). Great seeing the lead marathoners run by, the race for men's first was tight as #1 and #2 runners were only a few seconds apart when they passed us. The lead female was way ahead of her closest competition. They all look so smooth and effortless and we gave rowdy cheers as they ran by.

Mrs. Slogger was in good spirits but had not trained since last year's HM in Florida. We decided this would be a "fun" run and pay no attention to pace or time.
She struggled at times but the weather was good, the crowds were festive, and we finished. Always great running with my partner.

Finish line was downhill, they called out your name, nice medal, fleece blanket, finisher cap, pizza, beer, and music all part of the festival on Brown's Island.

I've run the full and half and can honestly say it's a great event!

Across the Bay 10k-November 4th, 2018 Race Recap

It's always been neat to drive across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge near Annapolis. 4.3 miles long, over 180 feet up in the air with spectacular views of the bay, boats, etc.
I found out they allow people to run across it each year at the Across the Bay 10k. Had to do it.

Annapolis is about a 2-4 hour drive from my home depending on traffic so I opted to have my shirt and bib mailed to me in advance, no race day pickup available.
Left home at 4 AM to drive to Anne Arundel Community College for parking. It was $20 to park. School buses took you from the parking lot to the start area near Sandy Point Recreation area. The race has over 17000 runners assigned to 10 waves separated 10 minutes apart.

I was assigned to wave 3 scheduled to start at 7:30 am. Between the long bus ride and the massive crowd of people, I didn't make it to start line until 7:35 am. Nice start right on the shore and the bridge looming in the distance. Looked a lot steeper and taller from that vantage point. Starter got the crowd pumped up with Van Halen. Cool temps in the low 40s and brisk wind 10-15 mph but nearly perfect running conditions.

We all funneled into a two lane road which was blocked by an army of walkers that had started in very front of the corral and started walking from the start. Not here to pace-shame anyone but curious why they didn't start in back of corral or later wave. Oh well, I did a lot of weaving and bobbing to get around and then before I knew it I was on the bridge.
The first 1.5 miles are a steady progression uphill and directly into the wind. It was a two lane road but much narrower with police, porta-potties, ambulances, and cupless water facilities on the left. Also police boats in the water so I guess they prepared for just about everything.

I kept chugging along and before I knew it I was at the top. The bridge flattens out for a stretch before starting the long downhill section towards the finish. After the bridge we ran on an access road and then crossed the highway to get to the finish line. I had not worked on speedwork for a long time and was just hoping to be around 9 minutes per mile. Felt good and tried to not let anyone pass me for the last 4 miles (2 people did).

My unofficial goal was to finish in an hour. Made it to the finish in 52:56 which ended up being a PR. The elevation gain at the start is tough. Finished 949th out of nearly 17,000. Guess all of that marathon training paid off.

Finish area had nice medal, music, fruit cups, bananas, pretzels, pizza, pineapple juice, and beer.
Long school bus ride back to the college with a driver that decided to play his nsfw rap music as loudly as possible. Glad my kids or parents weren't with me.

Fun event that's great unless you are scared of heights or inappropriate rap music.
Across Bridge.jpg Across bridge 3.jpg Across bridge 2.jpg Across Medal.jpg Pics attached (people were still running when I was on bus ride back and I took a few pics)

Last edited:
On the second water stop I was handed Gatorade when he was calling out water.
This is the worst. I've had it happen as well so now I always interrogate the volunteers who probably think I'm crazy. Great job pushing through and reaching your goal anyway. Just think what you could do if the race conditions were right!

ATTQOTD: it doesn’t get really cold here (and snows maybe one day a year) so I haven’t gotten much cold weather stuff. The coldest it’s been so far is about 43° so I had on a long sleeve tech shirt, full length leggings, gloves (cheapies) and a earwarmer headband.

QOTD: Since most of us are experiencing at least some colder weather I thought we could discuss running clothes for the winter today. What items you find work well and others that don't?

This board has definitely enlightened me to the idea that cold is all relative! Even for myself, I dress differently in the fall than spring.

The best ROI is for sure my convertible mittens. They're just cheapo cotton things that cost me $2 but it's so great to be able to keep my hands warm early and easily remove later.

I'm still trying to figure out how to run with a buff or earband while comfortably listening to my earbuds. If nothing works out, I may start playing my music/podcasts out loud.

ATTQOTD: I have a long sleeve tech shirt that I wear. If it is really cold, I wear an old, ratty white t-shirt (the kind that is so worn that it is thinner than a tech shirt) underneath. I try not to wear long pants (I hate running in long pants) if possible. However, if it is really, really cold (READ: 2018 WDW 5k), then I try to get some of those cheap $4 sweatshirts/pants at Walmart where I can toss them after a few miles...

If its in the 40s, I just use a long sleeved tech shirt with capris and compression socks. Once its down into the 30s, I'll add my running jacket and full length leggings, I have one pair of fleece lines leggings for when it's really cold. Ear bands and gloves as needed, and a buff for my face once its in the 30s too. If its in the 20s, I'll usually keep it indoors!

ATTQOTD: Winter running clothes

I like running temps in the 30s-40s. A warm hat, gloves, long sleeve shirt are my "go to" items. Pants instead of shorts if it's windy or rain/sleet/snowing. Jacket over the shirt if it gets colder. Sunglasses to cover my eyes to keep the cold out is helpful too.

I also have to keep my iphone inside a pocket or layer or it will shut down when it's too cold. Good to know I'm tougher than my phone.

ATTQOTD: I usually run in leggings, a quarter zip and vest. The most important thing for me is an earwarmer- usually a fleece headband. I have been wearing the cheap knit gloves, but recently ordered a mitten/glove hybrid from Lululemon (along with a vest), which should come in today! I love how a vest keeps my core warm, but isn't bulky.

In other running gear news, I purchased a clippy light yesterday for better nighttime visibility. It feels pretty serious now ;)

Darn you! I was going to buy a pair of cheap mitten/glove off amazon and call it a day. Off to go stalk the lululemon site and check store inventory.

ATTQOTD:
I did like my dutch mittens, but at some point last spring my child disassembled them emptying my running bag (because she thought I was hiding something awesome, not smelly clothes) so these are on my black friday shopping list. I will also be purchasing a new fleece ear warmer, I like the one I have, but got it at a thrift store in grad school and know it cannot last forever- I am shocked it is still around! I liked the ear band better than a hat, but it was insufficient for sub 20F last year.

I love a pair of discontinued Patagonia fleece leggings with pockets, but they are line dry so I am auditioning additional full covering bottoms with no luck.

I will state for the record that I preferred running in the mittens, fleece pants, and my also discontinued Saucony Vitarun jacket more in 10 F than most runs this august. So, I am going to stock up on gear to keep it going this winter!

@sourire Bummer about your half being cancelled, but understandable. Hope you're having a nice vacation anyway.

ATTQOTD:
Cold weather items include:

-hats, fleece headband, buffs
-long sleeve tech shirts (v-neck, mock neck, & hooded)
-tech sweathshirts
-running jackets (thin & thick)
-gloves (I sometimes use Hot Hands in gloves)
-running tights (regular & fleece-lined)
-thicker socks
-GoreTex shoes for snowy runs (sometimes with hex screws for traction)

I'm really excited about the running tights I bought today - they are not only fleece-lined, but they also have wind-proof panels in the front thigh area!! We'll see if they pass the "cold butt" test! :P

Congratulations to everyone who ran a race this weekend. And to @sourire, too bad on the race getting cancelled. Today they're advising Bay Area people to stay indoors given the air quality. And these terrible fires are very far away from us.

ATTQOTD: It never really gets too cold, so long sleeve tech shirts are usually fine for me. A couple of my headbands fit well over my ears and usually do the trick for keeping my ears warm.

ATTQOTD: For cold weather I normally wear in the 40's just capris and a 1/4 zip, nothing special. In the 30's, I'll add a short sleeve or long sleeve tech shirt layer underneath the 1/4 zip and wear full length leggings, possibly fleece lined (both depending on where in the range of 30's it is and whether it's sunny or not). If it's lower 30's, I'll usually start out with some Smartwool gloves, but quickly will take them off. For 20's, short sleeve and long sleeve and jacket layer and fleece lined leggings. Smartwool gloves and maybe a hat or ear warmers, but both may come off shortly into the run depending on wind and sunniness. For teens, the gloves and hat may stay on the whole time. I'll probably also add a buff and wear my Smartwool socks here too instead of just regular socks. For single digits, the gloves and hat will definitely stay on the whole time.

I have a nice running jacket with some wind panels, but I gained too much weight and it doesn't fit now. I need to get some new fleece lined leggings, as both of mine have inner thigh seam rips after a few years of wearing. They are not very adequate though in the teens and single digits. I definitely get cold butt and thighs.

I'm not much of a thicker sock person either... most of the time my regular socks are fine unless it's down into the teens or lower.

The hat and glove situation, I don't understand how people can wear those an entire run unless it's REALLY cold. My hands and head start sweating like crazy shortly into the run and you'll hardly ever see me wearing my hat or gloves after the first mile unless it's < 20 or the wind chill is really brutal.

I have a pair of Yak Trax and also a pair of Stabilicers, but I don't like wearing either of them much. They don't get much use even when it's snowy or icy.

ATTQOTD: in addition to the basics, my fav cold weather running item is a Nike running vest from a few years back. Perfect layering item. My only complaint is that it just has one small pocket at the back. I do think the newer versions have improved on that.

Not sure where this came from in my head, but I applied for a slot in the United Airlines New York Half in March. @SarahDisney going to be asking you a ton of questions if it works out!

ATTQOTD: I feel like I just get this figured out every year about the time it starts warming up. For me, it seems to be about keeping my extremities warm without overheating. I have a fleece headband, fleece gloves, and wool socks. If it is windy, I will wear a rain jacket to block the wind and I have some wind proof mittens I will throw over my gloves. I have a lightweight fleece vest that typically does the trick for my core with tights and long-sleeved tech shirts. Last resort is adding a jacket, but I will more often than not default to the treadmill and Netflix at that point.

Somewhat related, when I first got into running, we had moved to Minnesota for the year. I followed the blog of a local runner who would go out on her twenty mile long runs in the sub-zero temps with her yax-trax during the winter and was amazed. (Both by her cold-weather running and her twenty mile runs as I had just tackled the 5K that fall.) Anytime I am fed up with the cold, I try to remember her. :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter