The Running Thread - 2018

I need a new goal, but no clue what it could be. I turn 60 this year, and it is unrealistic to expect to PR, considering my current PR's-- set since I started running at 50-- are pretty decent and unlikely to improve.

Would love to do a relay, but have no (running) friends. Maybe just try to do a foreign race.

QOTD: What is you next big running goal and why?

I need to come up with one. A 5k in May isn't much of a goal since I'm really only doing it for the beer and breakfast tacos afterwards.

QOTD: my next goal is a HM PR attempt in 2 weeks. If every star in the universe aligned, I could possible break 2:00 — but if I did that, then what would my next goal be!

1:50? Sub-4 marathon?

ATTQOTD: Complete my first marathon in Chicago in October!! But since that seems so far away, I really think being disciplined and focused and making time for that first 3-4 weeks of training so that I can get staying on plan back in habit is really the true next goal. The journey to get to the marathon start line is going to be it's own race!!
Time isn't really a consideration...I'm sure we'll come up with a "wouldn't that be nice" finish time, but just completing it would be a bucket list life moment. And automatic PR!

And a time for you to beat at Dopey a few months later :)

ATTQOTD: My next goal is to PR the half either this fall or Jan next year, and try to get under 1:35. Beyond that, it is to attempt to BQ when I hit my next age bracket and get 10 more minutes (3 years from now), unless Boston plays with the qualifying times between now and then.....

I thought about a BQ attempt for when I turn 50 in two years. Two things occurred to me. First, I watched the Boston weather fiasco and realized that I am far too delicate to run in weather below 50 degrees (much less what those folks faced.) Second, the time allowances increase for a reason and I may be kidding myself when applying today's abilities against future time goals.

I feel like you could make a goal about how many tacos you will consume. Wait... maybe that's just something I would do...
One year, I think in like 2016, my husband and I tried to keep track of how many tacos and how many slices of pizza we consumed in a year. I think I lost track in like March and A LOT of tacos and pizzas were consumed. Haha.

I'd love to join in this thread! I used to run quite a bit, then 2 babies in 2.5 years happened and I gained a bit of weight and lost a lot of spare time. I'm looking for a good double stroller that isn't too ridiculously expensive, but trying to justify a $600 stroller to my non-running fiance is kinda hard, especially when I'm not exactly on the move much these days (work+2 toddlers has been exhausting).

And to answer the QOTD: My next big goal is to get back out there. With my ultimate goal of Princess weekend 2019.

Having a 'get out there' goal is a solid choice and a great start!
Regarding a stroller, keep your eyes peeled for a used one- facebook market places or craigslist may work, but if you see a local Mothers of Multiples sale in your area, check it out- there are always double BOBs at our local twin/tripplet mom to mom sale. In the mean time, if the weather is warming up in your area, even 10-20 minutes around the block is a step in the right direction!

I thought about a BQ attempt for when I turn 50 in two years. Two things occurred to me. First, I watched the Boston weather fiasco and realized that I am far too delicate to run in weather below 50 degrees (much less what those folks faced.) Second, the time allowances increase for a reason and I may be kidding myself when applying today's abilities against future time goals.

That is something I am sorta afraid of as well. I have seen several guys I run with semi-normally have had their race times drop off considerably over the last year. On the flip side, I have seen one that is about 5 years older than me get faster and was one of the bad-a@@s that ran last Monday.

I was having a major case of Boston envy the days leading up to Monday, but got over it real fast when I saw the conditions they ran it! LOL

The weather on Patriot's Day is really a crapshoot... we have had just as many years when people are getting heat related issues because it's suddenly too warm. :)

Oh also, for all races, my goal is to run the tangents better. Add an extra .38 onto the Dark Side Half by not running them well.
At Disney it's very hard to run the tangents well I think with all the people and turns in the parks. At Disney 1/2's I add at about .25-.3 at least and the full .5 (characters and bathroom stops in there too I guess). It's something I tried to concentrate on in Jan's full and still had the extra .5 so if there's a trick to running them better I need to work on that too!

Love reading everyone's goals!

I'd love to join in this thread! I used to run quite a bit, then 2 babies in 2.5 years happened and I gained a bit of weight and lost a lot of spare time. I'm looking for a good double stroller that isn't too ridiculously expensive, but trying to justify a $600 stroller to my non-running fiance is kinda hard, especially when I'm not exactly on the move much these days (work+2 toddlers has been exhausting).

And to answer the QOTD: My next big goal is to get back out there. With my ultimate goal of Princess weekend 2019.

Welcome! From my understanding, Bob strollers are the best to get (I have no kids, so I can't verify). I've heard of several people finding good deals on the Facebook yardsale pages and Craigslist, because they are pretty expensive brand new!

ATTQOTD: Same goal as I've been chasing for the past three years - a sub-1:30 half. It's been a very tough nut to crack, and I'm not getting any younger, but I think I'll get there eventually.

This is so timely! I need a new running goal, just having run a half this weekend and PR'ed (thanks DopeyBadger). I'll piggy back on this question: What's a better goal to set: a sub-1 hour 10k (I'm about 5 minutes or less away now), a 17-minute faster marathon (I ran a 5:16 last year and really want a sub-5 hour), or a 20 minute faster half ( I just ran a 2:19 and would need a sub-2 to make it a big goal. Obviously that is a multi-year project)? Trying to get to round numbers.

I don't think those goals are at all mutually exclusive. Most any runner will see benefits across all distances with good training. I set my 5K PR 10 days after setting my marathon PR a few years back. I was specifically focused on marathon training at the time, but my fitness carried over to the shorter distance of the 5K. You can certainly work on all those goals simultaneously.

ATTQOTD: Run a sub 5 hour marathon in November. I am signed up to run the Richmond marathon which is my first non Disney marathon. I have stopped for a lot of character photos the past two times I ran the marathon and I’d like to see how I can do when I don’t have the allure of stopping for a picture with Buzz Lightyear, etc.

Enjoy Richmond! That was my first marathon and I've run it 6 times so far, and will run it again this year. It's a great marathon, and the weather is usually pretty good.

With Boston, you never know what you're going to get. Last year was absolutely perfect (IMHO - a lot of people going for time thought it was a little hot). This year, ... well, you know. Still, it's definitely worth running.

That is something I am sorta afraid of as well. I have seen several guys I run with semi-normally have had their race times drop off considerably over the last year. On the flip side, I have seen one that is about 5 years older than me get faster and was one of the bad-a@@s that ran last Monday.

I was having a major case of Boston envy the days leading up to Monday, but got over it real fast when I saw the conditions they ran it! LOL

The fastest runner in my club just turned 50 last year and can still run sub-3:00. I'm close to that age but don't expect I'll see any sort of significant decline if I keep up the training.

Even with terrible weather Boston is an epic race. Despite the weather (which hopefully we won't see again any time soon), it's a great event and I'm still glad I was there this year. As the announcer in the athlete's village said, "You're going to have a really great story after this!" I encourage anyone interested in running Boston to give it a shot. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

Welcome to the best thread on the boards! (Said with nearly no bias ;) )

Hello again old friends. Missed you guys. Took a break from the forum to deal with injuries/surgery last year, having our daughter start college last Fall (she's nine hours away from home), and trying to catch up on work and family obligations. Slowly working my way back to good health and quality runs.

ATTQOTD: Goals-to stay healthy and injury free now and the foreseeable future. To remember how lucky I am to be able to run and enjoy the experience.

Running specific goals-to break 4 hours next year at the Myrtle Beach marathon and improve my other PR times for 5k, 10k, and half. Plenty of room for improvement.

Last edited:
Hi @LSUlakes, welcome back.

Got a few runs for the calendar if you have time:

April 29th- Runway 10k (goal 55:00)
May 12th- Greenbrier Half Marathon (goal 2 hours)
June 1st- Run and Ride 5k (no goal)
October 6th-Freedom's Run Marathon (goal 4:22)
October 20-21st Atlantic City Marathon (5k and full) (no goal, and 4:15)
November 4th-Across the Bay 10k
November 10th- Richmond Half Marathon
November 17-18 Philadelphia Liberty Bell Challenge (Half and Full)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter