The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: My next goal is to PR the half either this fall or Jan next year, and try to get under 1:35. Beyond that, it is to attempt to BQ when I hit my next age bracket and get 10 more minutes (3 years from now), unless Boston plays with the qualifying times between now and then.....

ATTQOTD: My next big big goal is to PR in the half (< 2:45), but I don't think it's really in the cards until the fall. I'm doing Wineglass in the fall, it's net downhill, seems like a good shot, and hopefully I'll have a good base from this spring and have dropped a few lbs. :) My closer goal is to finish my HM that is on 5/20 in my DB plan pace (2:51:40).

ATTQOTD:
Run a faster (not necessarily 'fast') 10K. There are lots of 5Ks and halfs around, but few 10k so my only times on this distance are at Disney and I want to see if I can do better. I got myself a training plan and everything! But as I increase my distance, my mile times are actually slower, which is beginning to mess with my mind. If I were running different routes I could make up reasons why, but I just keep adding laps to the same place, so I am at a loss as to why easy runs are nearly a minute/mile slower the last couple of weeks. Family vacation next week will eliminate all running for 9 days, I am concerned I will end up even slower.

ATYQOTD: I find myself overdressing recently and needing to pull off layers. I think it will take me a bit to adjust, and then I will likely have a similar problem in the fall. The biggest surprise is that when I pulled off a layer and was wearing a tank (IN APRIL!) I found my hair is much longer than it was last year and it irritates me to have my ponytail flop on my neck/shoulders. Also playing into this is the large variability in what the forecast is when I pack in the morning and what it turns out to actually be when I go out.
ATTBQOY: Yes to tea. My favorite is Anise tea, any time any temperature. I miss a brief lived Meyer Lemon tea made by Stash some time ago, none of the other lemons are close, and it is what my kid requests when her stomach hurts so the last 4 teabags just stare at me when I open the drawer in which they live. No thank you to sweet or sweetened tea.

QOTD: Great timing on this question. I’ve been thinking about what my next goal is and I’m not really sure. I’ve got my new DopeyBadger training plan which is focusing on speed work. I guess it’s mostly increase my fitness in preparation for Dopey.

@camaker @baxter24 hilly does not sound good! I saw it has a 6 hour time limit so I will have to think about it now. It is really the only marathon that works with my schedule as I can stay with @LikelyLynae and visit her at the same time. I was first planning Pensacola on our way back from our family vacation, then we decided to fly. Then was planning Route 66, but now our family vacation is the same date. I have a water bottle I carry in my pocket but I don't think it would hold enough Gatorade for the whole race. :( I wish races would stay with mainstream fuels/drinks. Thanks for the info!

QOTD: my next goal is a HM PR attempt in 2 weeks. If every star in the universe aligned, I could possible break 2:00 — but if I did that, then what would my next goal be!

I’d like to break 1:00 in the 10k too (I’ve done it in a 10 mile race, but would like to do it officially).

Most goals this spring and summer are triathlon based (not drowning is my immediate goal.) For running:

Sub 20:00 5k. Ran 20:40 in January and have been improving in training runs. Likely doing a 5k on May 5 though it is more of a training run.

Sub 1:30:00 half in December. This is going to require some experimentation with my weight - i.e. the point where I start to lose strength and ability to train hard.

This is so timely! I need a new running goal, just having run a half this weekend and PR'ed (thanks DopeyBadger). I'll piggy back on this question: What's a better goal to set: a sub-1 hour 10k (I'm about 5 minutes or less away now), a 17-minute faster marathon (I ran a 5:16 last year and really want a sub-5 hour), or a 20 minute faster half ( I just ran a 2:19 and would need a sub-2 to make it a big goal. Obviously that is a multi-year project)? Trying to get to round numbers.

I haven't responded to a bunch of previous QOTD's because my answer is so similar to others'.
I vote for the sub 5 hour marathon! Your half PR puts you in a good position to achieve this, and it would be a huge PR which is always fun :).

There are drinks other than Diet Coke???
Yeah, regular Coke from a fountain or in a bottle from Mexico. I am actually shocked how many of you drink Diet Coke. Haha.

My big running goal is running a marathon in 264 days... (but who's counting?? ;) )
OMG, that's basically around the corner. :scared:

ATTQOTD: I have my spring half on 5/19. My goal is to finish +/- 5 minutes from the time DB predicted in my training plan. I did the #math yesterday to figure out what my mile pace is going to have to in order to do that and am a little daunted, but I'll give it a go.
Say it! Say it!

ATTQOTD: Currently working on a sub:60 10k. (The race is in less than 2 weeks!) Then following that is a sub 2:00 HM in September. Then following that is to finish Dopey (and low-key finish my first Marathon in under 4:30.... closer to 4:10 if I am being honest with what I want, but you know, DOPEY, soooo...)

@camaker @baxter24 hilly does not sound good! I saw it has a 6 hour time limit so I will have to think about it now. It is really the only marathon that works with my schedule as I can stay with @LikelyLynae and visit her at the same time. I was first planning Pensacola on our way back from our family vacation, then we decided to fly. Then was planning Route 66, but now our family vacation is the same date. I have a water bottle I carry in my pocket but I don't think it would hold enough Gatorade for the whole race. :( I wish races would stay with mainstream fuels/drinks. Thanks for the info!

Here's the elevation profile from the City of Oaks Marathon. I don't want to scare you off, but the little hills in the beginning take a toll and then coming back up the greenway there from miles 20-23 is particularly tough. I think the overall elevation gain from my Garmin was 828 feet. There's a portion of Raleigh called Crabtree Valley and this race hammered home that it was really a valley, not just a name. That being said, the stretch from 15-20 was nice and mostly flat and I was able to pick up some good time there. As far as the Amino Vital is concerned. If you're worried about that, could you rely a bit more on gels for this race and stick to water at the hydration stations? There's certainly time to try that out in training between now and then.

upload_2018-4-24_11-35-16.png

ATTQOTD: My next running goal is to make a run at a sub-4:00 marathon at Chicago. I was in great shape to take a shot at this as part of Dopey until I got sick. Now coming back from the shin injury I'm not sure how well things are going to go. It seems like it's going to be an ongoing issue I have to manage and I've been advised to step back from 5 days/wk running to 4 days/wk. I don't know if I'll be able to hit the same fitness level with that constraint. We'll see...

Congrats to everyone on their races this past weekend!!

ATTQOTD: Next run goal is a half marathon PR in November.
(Finally going to crush that <2:30, hopefully in a big way. The current PR is 2:30:12. Ugh seriously: those 12 seconds!! Maybe if it hadn't been quite so hot for my "fall" half this past September...but that is okay. <2:30, I am coming for you!)

For now, I am in a bit of limbo over here with running after a little ankle injury while gardening 2 weeks ago (luckily it happened the day AFTER my 15k race!), so have been swimming and doing yoga instead of running. Tried to run a few easy miles on Sunday (the weather was so lovely, I just couldn't resist it any longer), but it still hurt, so going to stick with swimming/biking/yoga/everything but running, for the immediate future.

While the mind started to wander doing laps in the pool, I started thinking (a lot) about finding a sprint tri to sign up for. As a wise Coach said, "one door closes and another opens." A friend of mine who is tri-addicted is practically ready to drop off one of her old bikes for me to borrow/inherit, which is really nice of her. She's definitely a good kind of enabler! It's working...
I'll keep y'all posted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter